Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State @ Ohio University
luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
RE: Kent State @ Ohio University
(02-29-2020 09:47 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(02-29-2020 05:45 PM)Skinny Pete Wrote:  
(02-29-2020 04:55 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  Burden, it would be OK with me if Pippen moves on. I wouldn't mind seeing the rotation next year, with the exception of Roberts and maybe Beck, all new.

Agree. Addition by subtraction. He is out there to get his points.
It doesn't matter what the game situation is, time on the shot clock, time in the game, score, etc. Selfish.

Late to the party but will agree this team has become selfish (Pippen) and most importantly, seems to have absolutely no player leadership.

Perhaps the biggest lesson is one can't expect a team of mish-mash seniors to suddenly become cohesive in this day and age of college basketball without a true 'Alpha' to lead the way.

I'm sure one or two of these guys consider themselves to be Alpha's, but if that was truly the case, this team would be much better.

I thought 2018-2019 KSU basketball greatly overachieved considering the roster talent on hand. I think 2019-2020 has greatly underachieved with a much more diversified roster. The difference is 18-19 played together and understood their roles.

This team particularly the last month .... eh.

This team as too many (Alphas) or personalities. You have 4-5 guys who want to be "The Man" and not enough guys willing to accept a role and play to that.

All the good/great past Kent teams had 1-2 go to guys and 4-5 good role players, who on a given night could be the guy that night.

It has been very frustrating to watch as a whole. Here is to them catching fire the next 2 weeks and showing their true potential.
03-01-2020 11:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cleveland Online
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(03-01-2020 11:55 AM)luckyflash Wrote:  
(02-29-2020 09:47 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(02-29-2020 05:45 PM)Skinny Pete Wrote:  
(02-29-2020 04:55 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  Burden, it would be OK with me if Pippen moves on. I wouldn't mind seeing the rotation next year, with the exception of Roberts and maybe Beck, all new.

Agree. Addition by subtraction. He is out there to get his points.
It doesn't matter what the game situation is, time on the shot clock, time in the game, score, etc. Selfish.

Late to the party but will agree this team has become selfish (Pippen) and most importantly, seems to have absolutely no player leadership.

Perhaps the biggest lesson is one can't expect a team of mish-mash seniors to suddenly become cohesive in this day and age of college basketball without a true 'Alpha' to lead the way.

I'm sure one or two of these guys consider themselves to be Alpha's, but if that was truly the case, this team would be much better.

I thought 2018-2019 KSU basketball greatly overachieved considering the roster talent on hand. I think 2019-2020 has greatly underachieved with a much more diversified roster. The difference is 18-19 played together and understood their roles.

This team particularly the last month .... eh.

This team as too many (Alphas) or personalities. You have 4-5 guys who want to be "The Man" and not enough guys willing to accept a role and play to that.

All the good/great past Kent teams had 1-2 go to guys and 4-5 good role players, who on a given night could be the guy that night.

It has been very frustrating to watch as a whole. Here is to them catching fire the next 2 weeks and showing their true potential.

Like I've said on several posts before ... just a very inconsistent team/players. And no player has made a jump in performance. Last season (and several seasons past) you could see late-season development in guys like Whittington and Roberts (Zabo and ADR) ... but nobody has gotten better (to me) this season.

Beck looks like a place-holder for Mitch, but that's not saying much. KB has shown inklings, but little more than that ... Santiago reminds many of JAvery but there is one MAJOR difference there.

Avery had JWalker on his hip drawing most of the attention, there is no such person on the roster (as I see it) other than maybe Roberts capable of taking that kind of pressure off Santiago. So he doesn't play as much.

After that lots of ??????
03-01-2020 12:38 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
Agree, Cleveland. Nothing but question marks. How good is Nuga? How much can Bainbridge develop? How good are next year's incoming players? How good is Hernandez? What can Castillo bring as a senior? And on and on.
03-01-2020 02:53 PM
cleveland Online
1st String

Here's what's interesting about DP ... he is not a post player, and a hot/cold perimeter player at best. Compare his percentages to JWlker, who many felt was a gunner, and it's not even close.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket...lin-walker

JW was a better FT shooter, a far better 3-pt shooter and practically equal in overall FG% and pretty close in reb. In short, a more well-rounded player than perhaps given credit for, even with his madening style of play.

DP's best season was with a true post presence (ADR) beside him. DP has value IN HIS ROLE but that's not as the dominant scorer on the team.

As a senior (if he returns) someone should put a mirror in his locker.
03-01-2020 03:32 PM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
(02-29-2020 05:30 PM)Older and Older Wrote:  Great comments by all. Sounds like we all share similar sentiments.

Totally agree, I was all in on Basketball 110%. Not so much anymore
Not sure if it’s “old” age , stubborn cynicism, or just the changes documented above

Kent’s new practice facility a plus, EXCEPT everyone has them now, we were the last. Lost several good coaches last 20 years because we didn’t have.
Not that a new facility would change things but MAC center is a big negative, It’s a dump.

We will see a lot of turnover in roster next year, Count on it.

Just out of curiosity how many MAC arenas that are new (since 2005) have been a result of donations? I for one would rather see the university fund new facilities for programs and staff than a new arena (Architecture, Aeronautics, etc). My favorite ABJ article this past year was bashing Ak for building a new stadium for their crappy team that no one watches. I would hate for us to fall into that.
03-01-2020 04:10 PM
cleveland Online
1st String

(03-01-2020 04:10 PM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  
(02-29-2020 05:30 PM)Older and Older Wrote:  Great comments by all. Sounds like we all share similar sentiments.

Not sure if it’s “old” age , stubborn cynicism, or just the changes documented above

Kent’s new practice facility a plus, EXCEPT everyone has them now, we were the last. Lost several good coaches last 20 years because we didn’t have.
Not that a new facility would change things but MAC center is a big negative, It’s a dump.

Just out of curiosity how many MAC arenas that are new (since 2005) have been a result of donations? I for one would rather see the university fund new facilities for programs and staff than a new arena (Architecture, Aeronautics, etc). My favorite ABJ article this past year was bashing Ak for building a new stadium for their crappy team that no one watches. I would hate for us to fall into that.

Just FYI, folks might be surprised to know the MAC Center is almost identical to Cameron Indoor, with KSU perhaps a tad better!!

The difference is fans embrace Cameron as their own hell hole while folks at places like KSU, Akron, WMU and others always begging for something new.

Only thing bad about the MAC Center are fans always sitting down, instead of standing up!!!
03-01-2020 04:54 PM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kent State
(03-01-2020 04:54 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(03-01-2020 04:10 PM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  

Just FYI, folks might be surprised to know the MAC Center is almost identical to Cameron Indoor, with KSU perhaps a tad better!!

The difference is fans embrace Cameron as their own hell hole while folks at places like KSU, Akron, WMU and others always begging for something new.

Only thing bad about the MAC Center are fans always sitting down, instead of standing up!!!

Wow, I’ve been to Cameron ( when Kent played a great game) , other than narrow cramped hallways, no comparison. For one Cameron , 9300 every game. Cameron a shrine , lots of tradition and atmosphere. MAC center, not so much . Frankly when Kent was losing it was a better atmosphere. Rough on Ref group outstanding. Nowadays our opponents never intimidated. Can’t say that at Cameron .
Kent could do a lot to salvage MAC. Just don’t see it happening. Hell the bathrooms still have original 1950 fixtures and hardware.
03-01-2020 10:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.