Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2020 Conference USA Men's Baketball Performance Ratings
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice
RE: 2020 Conference USA Men's Baketball Performance Ratings
(03-09-2020 05:27 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  So this is an awful conference and we are near the bottom of it? Not good.

I've been checking computer rankings, and found that C-USA is right in the middle - around 16th or 17th out of 32. I would say "mediocre" rather than "awful".
03-09-2020 11:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-09-2020 11:54 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  
(03-09-2020 05:27 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  So this is an awful conference and we are near the bottom of it? Not good.
I've been checking computer rankings, and found that C-USA is right in the middle - around 16th or 17th out of 32. I would say "mediocre" rather than "awful".

Well behind all the basketball Power 6--Big East, ACC, B1G, XII, Pac-12, SEC--and all the other mid-majors--AAC, MW, MAC, A10--and even behind West Coast (largely on strength of Gonzaga), SunBelt, Mo Valley, and Southern. That may be 16 or 17 out of 32, but that means pretty firmly last among the conferences that are--or seek to be--truly nationally competitive. In terms of any our aspirational goals that is still pretty wretched. Of course, maybe we really could become Gonzaga and dominate this league.

My stated goals, several years ago, were to become Navy in football and Gonzaga in basketball, and maintain Rice in baseball, and average 35/7 (35,000 in football and 7,000 in basketball). The basketball goal is not doable in Tudor, so I would revise the goals to 30/4/4, 30,000/game in football, and 4,000/game in basketball and baseball. Those are going to be hard to do, and every year they get harder, but our achievements in women's sports (where the gap between the haves and have-nots are often larger) suggest those goals are still doable. We just need the right people on the bus, and in the right seats, to get there. I'm not sure we have either of those right now.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020 06:18 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
03-10-2020 06:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jonathan Sadow Offline
1st String

I Root For: Strigids
New Orleans Bowl
(03-09-2020 05:21 PM)Jonathan Sadow Wrote:  What about the winner of the tournament? UTEP finished undefeated in Bonus Play, but you have to consider the fact that this record came against the bottom three teams in the standings in C-USA, and I doubt the Miners can get very far against teams not in Pod 3. I've already mentioned FIU's high median rating and standard deviation. If you want to win a single-elimination tournament, you can't have a poor game, and the Golden Panthers' propensity for throwing up a brick frequently makes me doubt they can go four consecutive games without doing so. Looking at the numbers, I'd go with Louisiana Tech: the Bulldogs finished tied for second in the conference, won three of four games against Pod 1 competition in Bonus Play, and have the top mean rating and lowest standard deviation, which means that they play at a high level but aren't as likely to have a bad game.

Whoever had "No one" in their C-USA basketball tournament office pool really cleaned up....
03-12-2020 11:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.