UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB baseball season opener
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
RE: UAB baseball season opener
(02-17-2020 03:11 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  You're right - and in a business sense, I can't blame them for ducking out when they can. We don't draw flies for baseball, at Young Memorial or Regions, unless it is one of the "big games". What needs to happen is getting YF upgraded. New Fieldhouse is a solid step, but that facility is probably the weakest on campus now that the basketball practice facility is happening.

As to which fields were open or not, I have not been down around Regions for a big rain, so I don't know how bad the issue really was for them. I would point out that the other ballparks are not dead downtown and surrounded by acres of 80% asphalt trying to drain at once.

My take on the deal with Regions Field was that the Athletic Dept. felt the deal would prevent a need for expensive upgrades to Young Field. It is similar to the UABAD backing of the BJCC Stadium to get us out of Legion Field but not have to build an OCS. With the recently announced BB facility and other scheduled upgrades for other programs, I would expect that little of substance will be done at Young Field in the near future.
02-20-2020 02:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
I think the home game tomorrow night has been moved to YMF from Regions.
02-20-2020 02:27 PM
bigdunks Offline
2nd String

It seems like Shoop probably does not care whether games at Regions or Young Memorial? I guess just go where you're told.
02-22-2020 09:08 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

He also isn't concerned about the incentive bonuses.
02-22-2020 10:51 PM
Blazer on the southside Offline
Special Teams

I heard that the issue with Regions a couple of weeks ago was the fault of the grounds crew not taking preventative measures to protect the field from the rain (inexcusable). A week ago on Friday they simply didn't have the field ready to play (also inexcusable). I am assuming the grounds crew works for the city so if we are looking for a place to lay blame there is your culprit.
02-28-2020 07:22 AM
WhatIsThisFeeling Offline
2nd String

(02-28-2020 07:22 AM)Blazer on the southside Wrote:  I heard that the issue with Regions a couple of weeks ago was the fault of the grounds crew not taking preventative measures to protect the field from the rain (inexcusable). A week ago on Friday they simply didn't have the field ready to play (also inexcusable). I am assuming the grounds crew works for the city so if we are looking for a place to lay blame there is your culprit.

Actually the grounds keeper at Regions does not work for the city and won an award last year for being the best grounds keeper in the minor leagues. He has worked alone for a few years now but they finally got him an assistant. If what you say is true then he just dropped the ball that's all.
02-28-2020 09:28 AM
Special Teams

That's interesting. Who does the groundskeeper work for? The Barons? How does he get paid for getting the field ready for UAB? It doesn't sound like an issue of ability but rather motivation.
02-28-2020 10:00 AM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
(02-28-2020 09:28 AM)WhatIsThisFeeling Wrote:  
(02-28-2020 07:22 AM)Blazer on the southside Wrote:  I heard that the issue with Regions a couple of weeks ago was the fault of the grounds crew not taking preventative measures to protect the field from the rain (inexcusable). A week ago on Friday they simply didn't have the field ready to play (also inexcusable). I am assuming the grounds crew works for the city so if we are looking for a place to lay blame there is your culprit.

Actually the grounds keeper at Regions does not work for the city and won an award last year for being the best grounds keeper in the minor leagues. He has worked alone for a few years now but they finally got him an assistant. If what you say is true then he just dropped the ball that's all.

They (The Barons) have an hiring fair tomorrow that's suppose to fill tickets, concession, and ect. Think the grounds help is on the way.
02-28-2020 10:47 AM
2nd String

(02-28-2020 10:00 AM)Blazer on the southside Wrote:  That's interesting. Who does the groundskeeper work for? The Barons? How does he get paid for getting the field ready for UAB? It doesn't sound like an issue of ability but rather motivation.

He works for the Barons. Im not sure but im sure its within his contract to keep the field in playing condition for whatever management wants to play there weather its uab, the barons, or local high school ball etc....
He's a nice dude. Works hard. Sometimes the weather works harder lol
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2020 02:13 PM by WhatIsThisFeeling.)
02-28-2020 02:10 PM
2nd String

(02-28-2020 10:47 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  

They (The Barons) have an hiring fair tomorrow that's suppose to fill tickets, concession, and ect. Think the grounds help is on the way.

Yep that will help him during the regular season but he runs it all in the off season. UABs team managers help him with field prep when we play there.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2020 02:13 PM by WhatIsThisFeeling.)
02-28-2020 02:12 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
(02-28-2020 02:12 PM)WhatIsThisFeeling Wrote:  
(02-28-2020 10:47 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  

Yep that will help him during the regular season but he runs it all in the off season. UABs team managers help him with field prep when we play there.

Thanks, ive wondered about that.
02-28-2020 03:19 PM
Special Teams

Can anyone verify that they are getting the field ready to play on today? Twitter still says they are playing there but I would hate to drive all the way downtown to find the park empty and the gate locked. This has happened before even when twitter claimed they were playing at RF.
02-28-2020 03:23 PM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

The Blazers are on a 3 game win streak. Took one in the home stand vs UNC Asheville on Sunday. 5-0

Alabama State 10-5 on Wednesday.
Miami-Ohio 5-2 last night.
02-29-2020 09:34 AM
bftb Offline
Go Blazers!

Today's series opener vs. Toledo has already been moved from Region's Field to Young Memorial. No explanation was given why. First pitch 4 p.m.

The other games in the weekend series are apparently still planned for Region's, at 1 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday.

https://uabsports.com/news/2020/3/6/uab-...ield.aspx?
03-06-2020 02:26 PM
bigdunks Offline
2nd String

It is amazing that the Pensacola Blue Wahoos can host 9 games over 3 days with no local college team involved this weekend. And UAB can not play 1 game a day at Regions.
03-06-2020 04:04 PM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(03-06-2020 04:04 PM)bigdunks Wrote:  It is amazing that the Pensacola Blue Wahoos can host 9 games over 3 days with no local college team involved this weekend. And UAB can not play 1 game a day at Regions.

The difference just might be that Birmingham got over 3½ inches of rain over the last 3 days and Pensacola just received around ½" over the same time period.
03-06-2020 04:31 PM
bigdunks Offline
2nd String

(03-06-2020 04:31 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 04:04 PM)bigdunks Wrote:  It is amazing that the Pensacola Blue Wahoos can host 9 games over 3 days with no local college team involved this weekend. And UAB can not play 1 game a day at Regions.

The difference just might be that Birmingham got over 3½ inches of rain over the last 3 days and Pensacola just received around ½" over the same time period.
The Pensacola tournament was scheduled 6 months ago with teams traveling from out of town. The situation with UAB at Regions is complete nonsense. I'm not sure if it's Barons or Shoop calling the shots? What happens at downtown football stadium in several years if it rains the day before a UAB home game. Is the game moving to Legion Field or UAB soccer field? It's the same situation. But folks on the board are saying situation at Regions is unique or UAB fans don't support program so everything is OK. Apparently Pensacola baseball stadium also hosts high school football.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2020 04:55 PM by bigdunks.)
03-06-2020 04:41 PM
2nd String

(03-06-2020 04:41 PM)bigdunks Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 04:31 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  

The Pensacola tournament was scheduled 6 months ago with teams traveling from out of town. The situation with UAB at Regions is complete nonsense. I'm not sure if it's Barons or Shoop calling the shots? What happens at downtown football stadium in several years if it rains the day before a UAB home game. Is the game moving to Legion Field or UAB soccer field? It's the same situation. But folks on the board are saying situation at Regions is unique or UAB fans don't support program so everything is OK. Apparently Pensacola baseball stadium also hosts high school football.

It is not the same. Your talking field turf compared to a grass surface. Your talking Barons are the main focus for Regions while UAB will be for Protective.
03-11-2020 03:33 PM
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

I went to the game Sunday vs Toledo... The Blazers were pretty ragged that day. Some costly errors and base running problems led to the loss. Not sure how the game turned out against Alabama.
03-11-2020 05:18 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

A pooch got screwed.
03-11-2020 05:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.