Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should the media fail?
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Should the media fail?
https://thefederalist.com/2020/02/10/if-...rust-them/

Good read on the perception of the media that they are under threat because of President Trump:

"Over at The Atlantic, McKay Coppins has a lengthy new article that’s raising a lot of eyebrows in D.C., “The Billion-Dollar Disinformation Campaign to Reelect the President.” Coppins is a good journalist and makes a good effort to get inside the online and social media efforts in the Trump organization....

I was surprised by the effect it had on me. I’d assumed that my skepticism and media literacy would inoculate me against such distortions. But I soon found myself reflexively questioning every headline. It wasn’t that I believed Trump and his boosters were telling the truth. It was that, in this state of heightened suspicion, truth itself—about Ukraine, impeachment, or anything else—felt more and more difficult to locate. With each swipe, the notion of observable reality drifted further out of reach.

Now I think I’m speaking, albeit sarcastically, for roughly half the country when I say, “Wow, can you imagine a situation where every time you turned on the news or saw a headline on the internet you had to reflexively question what you read?” In terms of political worldviews, the entire information system in this country has been heavily biased toward liberals and has been for decades. On certain topics such as guns and religion, the facts in major news outlets are regularly wrong to such an embarrassing degree it’s hard to decide whether the errors are the result of an absence of professional self-respect or contempt toward the part of their audience that cares about these issues....

Similarly, if the media thinks it does have any sort of sacred obligation to help democracy function, then they need to start acting like it. Putting their thumb on electoral scales and pushing fringe cultural movements into the mainstream out of a personal belief this represents some sort of justice isn’t the media’s job; it’s to report the facts in a way that benefits others. Ultimately, a media that won’t stop serving its own interests deserves to fail."
02-13-2020 09:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BuffaloTN Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Should the media fail?
They've already failed. What is now in question is how far back, how many years, how many half truths from yesteryear's trusted reporters are now in question.

The internet has been wonderful in unearthing their true nature.
02-13-2020 09:55 AM
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
That's great..... Blame Trump and then just keep on spewing your biases.........

People like Rachal Maddow and Sean Hannity give "news media" a bad name. Change the name of their organizations to News Entertainment then, they can at least claim plausible deniability for their constant biased spin.
02-13-2020 10:14 AM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(02-13-2020 10:14 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  That's great..... Blame Trump and then just keep on spewing your biases.........

People like Rachal Maddow and Sean Hannity give "news media" a bad name. Change the name of their organizations to News Entertainment then, they can at least claim plausible deniability for their constant biased spin.

I have no gigantic issue with those 2, mostly because neither of them really pretend to be non-biased. If you are just up front about being completely biased for one side or the other then I can up front say I should take everything you say as slanted.
02-13-2020 10:41 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(02-13-2020 10:41 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 10:14 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  That's great..... Blame Trump and then just keep on spewing your biases.........

I have no gigantic issue with those 2, mostly because neither of them really pretend to be non-biased. If you are just up front about being completely biased for one side or the other then I can up front say I should take everything you say as slanted.

Agree. Editorial comment is what freedoms of speech is all about. My issue is pretending Cooper Anderson or Sheppard Smith are “unbiased news men” and are “the arbiters of truth”. They are basically reading the DNC talking points as if it’s “news” and either don’t report the other side of the argument or—quickly report it and the say something like “but that’s been debunked” immediately after if it conflicts with their deeply held far left convictions. The use of far left sources that are not identified as such is often the basis for these “debunked” statements. I’m sorry—but deeply held political convictions aren’t a basis for “news”.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2020 11:46 AM by Attackcoog.)
02-13-2020 11:44 AM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
At least some of them will flat out tell you, I am not a journalist, I basically host a talk show.
02-13-2020 12:09 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-13-2020 11:44 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 10:41 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

Agree. Editorial comment is what freedoms of speech is all about. My issue is pretending Cooper Anderson or Sheppard Smith are “unbiased news men” and are “the arbiters of truth”. They are basically reading the DNC talking points as if it’s “news” and either don’t report the other side of the argument or—quickly report it and the say something like “but that’s been debunked” immediately after if it conflicts with their deeply held far left convictions. The use of far left sources that are not identified as such is often the basis for these “debunked” statements. I’m sorry—but deeply held political convictions aren’t a basis for “news”.

Yeah, I'm with you on that.

Its annoying when they say "Fox News is biased!!!!" And then point to Hannity or Carlson who have infotainment editorial shows, not news shows. But they trust NBC and Lester Holt who brags to Hillary's campaign about how he "got" Donald Trump in the debate in which he was supposed to be an impartial moderator.
02-13-2020 12:19 PM
Advertisement

SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard

Sorry but you don’t have any idea what you are talking about. Hannity shouts out the fact he is not unbiased. Maddow not so much. Hannity has had guest that are investigative reporters. They haven’t been wrong to my knowledge even though they are smeared in the media until proven to be spot on later. Maddow is hardly ever right even while pretending to be a news anchor.
I find Hannity hard to watch at times but I don’t feel I’m being lied to. Everything I see on MSNBC is nothing but hate for my side of the isle and demonstrably inaccurate most of the time with even a little over all knowledge of the facts.
Hannity and Maddow are no where near the same.
02-13-2020 12:29 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Before the Internet MSM was insulated from ridicule for its missteps. They would occasionally print a retraction when they were called on something but generally were free to report whatever they wanted as fact.

I admit every time I see a post with a news link, I judge the source before I read the article.

I remember when I first started posting on the conference boards 15 plus years ago someone would post something from the Bleacher Report and it would immediately be questioned.

I used to subscribe to the Courier-Journal here in Louisville in the 80’s but I knew it was a liberal newspaper and knew its stories were slanted to the left. Anyone that read the Courier knew that and accepted it.

Fast forward forty years and now I’m supposed to believe everything that’s written on the Courier website as being true? I don’t think so.

On Facebook the other day I saw a bunch of liberals on a Black Lives Matter page losing it over a post that said “Rush Limbaugh said getting the Presidential Medal of Honor was tarnished because Maya Angelou and Rosa Parks had received it” I looked at the link and it was from The Onion. Liberals triggered over satire.

President Trump comments didn’t start conservatives questioning what they read. He’s just the first Republican with the guts to call the media on their bias.
02-13-2020 01:01 PM
Advertisement

Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
(02-13-2020 12:29 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  

Sorry but you don’t have any idea what you are talking about. Hannity shouts out the fact he is not unbiased. Maddow not so much. Hannity has had guest that are investigative reporters. They haven’t been wrong to my knowledge even though they are smeared in the media until proven to be spot on later. Maddow is hardly ever right even while pretending to be a news anchor.
I find Hannity hard to watch at times but I don’t feel I’m being lied to. Everything I see on MSNBC is nothing but hate for my side of the isle and demonstrably inaccurate most of the time with even a little over all knowledge of the facts.
Hannity and Maddow are no where near the same.

Perception is reality for way too many people. I agree that Hannity tells you straight up he is right biased. The problem (and my point) is that even when they are telling you they are biased, too many people still think because of the platform from which they are spouting, they are presenting as Unbiased News because they are on a "News Channel".

Hannity is on Fox News Channel.... People tune in to Fox News to see him.....

People are lazy and/or dumb. When you get a little older you can see it and separate the hyperbole from fact much better, but the younger set (under 40) eat this sh*t up hook line and sinker as "real news".
02-13-2020 03:18 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: [s]Should[/s] the media fails by design...
all the posts in this thread are worthy....

to the OP, I simply say, "ref: subject line fify...

Buffalo Bill in TN, knew it right out of the gate...
02-13-2020 07:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.