ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Death of MEAC starts another round of dominos?
HeadsetGuy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
RE: Death of MEAC starts another round of dominos?
FAMU is voting tomorrow to leave the MEAC for the SWAC

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/06/01/famu-...-for-swac/

Norfolk State better be calling the Big South TODAY

FAMU is a financial peer to NSU, the Spartans need to make a similar move

small snowballs can lead to larger ones down the hill
06-02-2020 06:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-08-2020 02:37 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  JMU does not have the money to go beyond fcs. In addition they could not afford the other women’s sports.

They'd get it. ODU might have more corporate money due to our urban location, but JMU has a large number very well heeled and engaged alumni. Their issue is so many of their older alumni are women who don't care about sports. But over the last 20 years they've graduated a lot more men, and they are excited about the athletic program. If that turns into a couple thousand $10k donors, that makes up for the lack of corporate donations.
06-03-2020 10:22 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-02-2020 06:21 PM)HeadsetGuy Wrote:  FAMU is voting tomorrow to leave the MEAC for the SWAC

I wonder if NSU decides to nix football altogether and put all its resources into hoops?
06-03-2020 10:23 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(06-03-2020 10:22 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(02-08-2020 02:37 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  JMU does not have the money to go beyond fcs. In addition they could not afford the other women’s sports.

They'd get it. ODU might have more corporate money due to our urban location, but JMU has a large number very well heeled and engaged alumni. Their issue is so many of their older alumni are women who don't care about sports. But over the last 20 years they've graduated a lot more men, and they are excited about the athletic program. If that turns into a couple thousand $10k donors, that makes up for the lack of corporate donations.

One would think but it hasn't become a reality yet. They still raise a fraction of what ODU does. JMUs record year of $4m in athletic donations would be considered a bad year for ODAF.
06-03-2020 10:34 AM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(06-03-2020 10:23 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(06-02-2020 06:21 PM)HeadsetGuy Wrote:  FAMU is voting tomorrow to leave the MEAC for the SWAC

I wonder if NSU decides to nix football altogether and put all its resources into hoops?

That would threaten the existence of their marching band, and that ain't gonna happen. Honestly, the reverse is more likely to happen than that.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2020 10:44 AM by Blue_Trombone.)
06-03-2020 10:44 AM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(06-03-2020 10:34 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(06-03-2020 10:22 AM)monarx Wrote:  

One would think but it hasn't become a reality yet. They still raise a fraction of what ODU does. JMUs record year of $4m in athletic donations would be considered a bad year for ODAF.

Indeed.

The bond authorization (Item C-13.50 #1c) from the Legislature for their new Convocation Center was passed in 2012.
It took them until late 2017-early 2018 to raise the private 12 million dollars required by the Legislature to start the project.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2020 12:51 PM by ODUalum78.)
06-03-2020 12:50 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

06-03-2020 10:43 PM
booman Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NSU
(02-08-2020 04:48 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  If we say booman 3x he should appear on here! He is a nsu guy

Sigh, BCU may go with FAMU to the SWAC. At this point, NSU needs to look out for NSU. We have no leadership in the MEAC office.
06-04-2020 01:06 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-04-2020 01:06 AM)booman Wrote:  
(02-08-2020 04:48 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  If we say booman 3x he should appear on here! He is a nsu guy

Sigh, BCU may go with FAMU to the SWAC. At this point, NSU needs to look out for NSU. We have no leadership in the MEAC office.

Booman, any chance NSU drops back to D2, or eliminates football putting all its resources into D1 basketball? Seems like their only options are that, the CAA (likely not happening) or Big South (maybe?)
06-05-2020 12:36 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-05-2020 12:36 PM)monarx Wrote:  

Booman, any chance NSU drops back to D2, or eliminates football putting all its resources into D1 basketball? Seems like their only options are that, the CAA (likely not happening) or Big South (maybe?)

The MEAC could save itself by adding VSU and WSSU, though I'm not sure how much interest if any that either would have in moving up.

Obivously I'm not booman or associated with NSU in any way but I'd be shocked if they dropped football when they have a 30,000-seat stadium. Plus despite what some VCU fans seem to believe, dropping football doesn't always mean basketball is better even if it gets more of your resources, especially if your resources drop because of it. Coppin State and UMES are non-football and with the exception of that one CSU win against South Carolina, they've largely been non-relevant in the MEAC.

A drop to D2 hurts more than it helps, unless they're in major financial trouble.

Presuming that the MEAC ceases to be viable, it sounds like NSU's best D1 move is the Big South. since it fortifies Tidewater for them and gives Hampton/A&T an historical rival. It's a more compact footprint for NSU, especially if the BS adds N.C. Central or Howard as well.
06-05-2020 01:16 PM
HeadsetGuy Offline
Special Teams

WSSU is a no-go they last 2 years in FCS last time, the MEAC is dead.
I hope SC State, NC Central and NSU get Big South invites
I think BCCU goes SWAC with Fl A&M
Howard, DelState, Morgan State better hope the NEC is kind
06-05-2020 01:48 PM
DukeThaDawg Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU
(06-05-2020 12:36 PM)monarx Wrote:  

The CAA has adopted an Extreme Flexibility Model (EFM)in regards to scheduling for Olympic Sports.
https://caasports.com/news/2020/5/29/gen...20-21.aspx

Who knows where this will lead---Who knows if it well eventually effect Football and basketball. Mickey Matthews had an opinion piece in the RTD where he was touting the benefits of a football bus league
https://www.richmond.com/sports/former-j...ba78a.html

If the CAA sheds Northeastern teams for a more regional alignment, then maybe there's room for NSU, or there could be poaching from the Big South or Southern.

Something this extreme will probably not happen. The scheduling flexibility will most likely be reserved for only Olympic sports. It's just conjecture
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2020 02:14 PM by DukeThaDawg.)
06-05-2020 02:13 PM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(06-05-2020 01:48 PM)HeadsetGuy Wrote:  WSSU is a no-go they last 2 years in FCS last time, the MEAC is dead.

NEC would not be a bad fit for Howard, Morgan, etc with Mt St. Mary's in MD as well
06-05-2020 02:40 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-05-2020 02:40 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  
(06-05-2020 01:48 PM)HeadsetGuy Wrote:  WSSU is a no-go they last 2 years in FCS last time, the MEAC is dead.

NEC would not be a bad fit for Howard, Morgan, etc with Mt St. Mary's in MD as well

Howard is a strong academic school, and that opens doors for them that won't be open for NSU or NCCU (or for that matter, UNC Asheville and Radford). Someone on the realignment board said they wouldn't be terribly surprised if the CAA showed interest in Howard. It gets them back into the DMV, and Howard would be among some academic peers. Their facilities aren't great but no worse than Drexel hoops and URI football, at any rate.

If Delaware State is stable, maybe America East? It's mostly public, whereas the NEC is mostly private.

If WSSU left on good terms with the MEAC, and they need two schools to keep from capsizing, I could maybe see them getting the call with VSU. There really aren't other HBCUs in D2 ready for a move, it sounds like, and Chicago State isn't exactly a stability move for either party.
06-05-2020 03:07 PM
booman Offline
Bench Warmer

As of now, there is no talk of moving down to D2. WSSU tried to move up and had to move back down again. VSU is the only school I can see that can afford the 1 million entry fee, but I think they are comfortable playing in Md, VA and NC.

The MEAC will need to start looking at non-hbcu's. I just dont know who. VUL keeps scheduling meac schools.
06-05-2020 09:10 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(06-05-2020 09:10 PM)booman Wrote:  As of now, there is no talk of moving down to D2. WSSU tried to move up and had to move back down again. VSU is the only school I can see that can afford the 1 million entry fee, but I think they are comfortable playing in Md, VA and NC.

The MEAC will need to start looking at non-hbcu's. I just dont know who. VUL keeps scheduling meac schools.

I was at their basketball game vs. Regent, heard they are ineligible to join the NCAA due to not having a regional accreditation.
06-06-2020 11:29 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-05-2020 09:10 PM)booman Wrote:  As of now, there is no talk of moving down to D2. WSSU tried to move up and had to move back down again. VSU is the only school I can see that can afford the 1 million entry fee, but I think they are comfortable playing in Md, VA and NC.

Chicago State would be a marriage of convenience, and would provide no stability since it seems like they've been on the verge of closure for years. Plus no football. At least they're easy to fly to. They're the only D1 school, HBCU or no, that I could see moving to the MEAC.

If B-C and SCSU move/drop classification/drop sports/close, and the MEAC essentially becomes a D1 CIAA, I wonder if that would make VSU more likely to consider a move.

Otherwise, there's no D2 moveups in or close to the footprint. I guess in theory if they drop the requirement to spend five years in D2 before moving to D1, that'd open the door for CNU, which has no good D3 options as a public school. But I might be overstating their D1 worthiness.
06-06-2020 12:04 PM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
So the collapse of this conference will have no direct bearing on ODU unless it is a trigger to greater over all realignment of conferences in a more regional footprint. It isn't like FAMU leaving the MEAC is going to trigger domino's that will leade to an AAC invite, right?

P.S. On a different note, I know this is dragging up history and an old conversation, but I still can't get over the fact Jarrett turned down a Big East invite. Has to be the single most unfortunate decision made by the athletic administration ever.
06-06-2020 02:30 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(06-06-2020 02:30 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  So the collapse of this conference will have no direct bearing on ODU unless it is a trigger to greater over all realignment of conferences in a more regional footprint. It isn't like FAMU leaving the MEAC is going to trigger domino's that will leade to an AAC invite, right?

P.S. On a different note, I know this is dragging up history and an old conversation, but I still can't get over the fact Jarrett turned down a Big East invite. Has to be the single most unfortunate decision made by the athletic administration ever.

Since we are still in the dark about basketball recruiting, money and league changes maybe ODU could go to the MEAC. They could save money, and go to the NCAA every year. I see no salary cuts from Broderick or Wood, so I guess the ODAF is could to go to bail us out!
06-06-2020 05:36 PM
booman Offline
Bench Warmer

(06-06-2020 12:04 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

Chicago State would be a marriage of convenience, and would provide no stability since it seems like they've been on the verge of closure for years. Plus no football. At least they're easy to fly to. They're the only D1 school, HBCU or no, that I could see moving to the MEAC.

If B-C and SCSU move/drop classification/drop sports/close, and the MEAC essentially becomes a D1 CIAA, I wonder if that would make VSU more likely to consider a move.

Otherwise, there's no D2 moveups in or close to the footprint. I guess in theory if they drop the requirement to spend five years in D2 before moving to D1, that'd open the door for CNU, which has no good D3 options as a public school. But I might be overstating their D1 worthiness.

Chicago State is not a good fit as they could be in stable trouble for years. Most meac schools do not have the budget to fly to schools. I'm hearing chatter of Bowie sniffing around a move up, but not sure once again about the million dollar move up fee.

I am also hearing that the Big South is as strong as they seem and another conference could start pulling from them.

Personally, I want us in the CAA. Close schools, higher profile, and it will push us to get serious. For us, its time to put up or shut up.
06-07-2020 11:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.