Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dantonio out at Mich St
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
RE: Dantonio out at Mich St
(02-12-2020 11:12 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Eric Bieniemy has to be the #1 target for CU right? But he'll probably be in line for an NFL job after next season.
I think that's entirely dependent on how much he actually likes recruiting and fundraising. If he doesn't mind those, he will take the job.

If he really wasn't into it and loves football 24/7, he'll remain at KC.
02-12-2020 11:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Bieniemy is going to be an NFL head coach soon. He has no reason to detour into a college job.

Colorado will go one of the typical three ways in this situation:

-- Someone "loyal to the program" whether or not they're the best option out there (e.g. Chiaverini or another former Colorado player)

-- A coordinator from among the group that "the industry" thinks is ready to become a head coach (e.g. Avalos, Grinch, Harrell)

-- A former head coach who isn't currently in coaching (e.g. Helfrich, Butch Jones, RichRod)

If I had to guess, I'd say they'll go with the third option there.
02-12-2020 12:42 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(02-12-2020 12:42 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Bieniemy is going to be an NFL head coach soon. He has no reason to detour into a college job.

-- Someone "loyal to the program" whether or not they're the best option out there (e.g. Chiaverini or another former Colorado player)

-- A coordinator from among the group that "the industry" thinks is ready to become a head coach (e.g. Avalos, Grinch, Harrell)

-- A former head coach who isn't currently in coaching (e.g. Helfrich, Butch Jones, RichRod)

Given their history over the years and the leanings of their ministration, I would think Butch Jones and Rich Rod (Title IX issues) would not be takes for them.
02-12-2020 12:45 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(02-12-2020 12:45 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 12:42 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Bieniemy is going to be an NFL head coach soon. He has no reason to detour into a college job.

Given their history over the years and the leanings of their ministration, I would think Butch Jones and Rich Rod (Title IX issues) would not be takes for them.

Colorado already hired Butch Jones once -- he changed his mind the next day and took the Tennessee job instead. (OK, I guess that's a good reason why they won't go back to him. Or Neuheisel.)
02-12-2020 01:14 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(02-12-2020 01:14 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Colorado already hired Butch Jones once -- he changed his mind the next day and took the Tennessee job instead. (OK, I guess that's a good reason why they won't go back to him. Or Neuheisel.)

Butch never sealed the deal with Colorado in 2012. Colorado never announced his hiring, so the only bad blood is probably with the AD & President he negotiated with. And they both moved onto new jobs long ago.

I'm just saying that I doubt that dalliance almost a decade ago has much impact on today's decision.
02-12-2020 01:32 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(02-12-2020 11:02 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 10:29 AM)utpotts Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 09:21 AM)esayem Wrote:  Looks like Tucker will be getting some dough for assistants. He’s a Midwest guy, so this could have turned out worse I suppose.

He was still 5-7 in a conference that was far less difficult than the Big Ten East

In his first season. He has two rings from being on staff at Alabama and Ohio State, plus a lot of pro experience. I just think it could have been a lot worse for Sparty, all things considered.

It can still get worse. There may be some sanctions that come out of this, and, if Tucker can somehow steer this program to a bowl his first year, I bet he's moving on. Unless MSU has a bottomless pocket to pay him.

"Dumpster fire" is not where MSU wants to be. It just drives up the costs so much more to retain coaches and staff than at other places, and stability has to be built over time. Is a school like that willing to endure a bunch of years of turnover and mediocre or less performance during that span?

It's a shame MSU is in the East. They could "sort this out" a bit better in the west, imo.
02-12-2020 02:33 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
If he wins at MSU, he could be the pick to replace Saban when he retires. However, with the salary MSU is paying why leave if he is winning other than try the nfl sometime
02-12-2020 02:45 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(02-12-2020 01:32 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 01:14 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Butch never sealed the deal with Colorado in 2012. Colorado never announced his hiring, so the only bad blood is probably with the AD & President he negotiated with. And they both moved onto new jobs long ago.

I'm just saying that I doubt that dalliance almost a decade ago has much impact on today's decision.

This, and Butch's Title IX issues came after 2012 so that was not an issue to prevent his offer/hiring (however you want to frame it).
02-12-2020 03:08 PM
jacksfan29 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: So Dak St/CU
(02-12-2020 08:51 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Wow. Bad look for Tucker. It's one thing to say you're staying through back channels. When you make the declaration on Twitter and leave just days later, that will stick with you.

PAC in ROUGH shape now. Lost Petersen, Leach and Tucker in one cycle.

The stories coming out make the Tweet look mild. No one begrudges him taking a bump in pay and going back to the midwest. But the insider stories are pretty ugly. He lied, to the face, right up to the announcement of players, boosters, assistant coaches and the AD. Really bad look, some pissed off folks. I don't think Tucker will be welcome back in Colorado for a long long time. Good luck MSU, you are going to need it.
02-12-2020 05:58 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(02-12-2020 05:58 PM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  I don't think Tucker will be welcome back in Colorado for a long long time.

If he wins at MSU, would it matter? He could coach almost anywhere else, including back in PAC territory. What's become of the sport at this level? There's no honor.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020 11:00 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
02-12-2020 10:59 PM
jacksfan29 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: So Dak St/CU
(02-12-2020 10:59 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 05:58 PM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  I don't think Tucker will be welcome back in Colorado for a long long time.

If he wins at MSU, would it matter? He could coach almost anywhere else, including back in PAC territory. What's become of the sport at this level? There's no honor.

Still a lot of stories coming out in Colorado. One of the best, quotes from players and recruits. Not a lot of love left for the man. Good luck to MSU. How many times will the story of how Tucker handled the departure be used against him on the recruiting trail? I get its a business, but it would have been better for him to stay silent during the negotiations. A lot of people lost a lot of respect for the man.

https://www.buffzone.com/2020/02/12/colo...departure/
02-13-2020 12:37 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(02-12-2020 08:51 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Wow. Bad look for Tucker. It's one thing to say you're staying through back channels. When you make the declaration on Twitter and leave just days later, that will stick with you.

I don't see it that way. Each situation is different and each reason for leaving is different. Petersen did not want to coach anymore, at least not at this point. He is staying on as an advisor and he recommended his replacement, Jimmy Lake. The AD wanted Lake as well. The recruiting has gone well and we will see how well Lake does as head coach. Lake was with Petersen for eight years, probably learned a lot from him and will always have Petersen around

With Leach, he had hit a ceiling at WSU. Going to the SEC for the money was a good move for him. WSU replaced him with Nick Rolovich, who did a very good job at Hawaii with his pass happy offense. I don't think things will change much with Rolovich and since he grew up in California, maybe that will work in his favor in California recruiting.

I am not sure the Tucker loss is the end of the world. I think they have a pretty good shot at Eric Bieniemy. I think that would be an upgrade. When Bieniemy was at UCLA, he was the running backs coach and recruiting coordinator. He was the guy that recruited Maurice Jones-Drew to UCLA. He was one of my favorite coaches at UCLA. He was very intense, in a good way. The players respected him. He held people accountable. He is a graduate of CU, but played his high school ball in California. I think he will do a good job of recruiting for CU, especially in California.
02-13-2020 01:29 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(02-13-2020 01:29 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

I don't see it that way. Each situation is different and each reason for leaving is different. Petersen did not want to coach anymore, at least not at this point. He is staying on as an advisor and he recommended his replacement, Jimmy Lake. The AD wanted Lake as well. The recruiting has gone well and we will see how well Lake does as head coach. Lake was with Petersen for eight years, probably learned a lot from him and will always have Petersen around

With Leach, he had hit a ceiling at WSU. Going to the SEC for the money was a good move for him. WSU replaced him with Nick Rolovich, who did a very good job at Hawaii with his pass happy offense. I don't think things will change much with Rolovich and since he grew up in California, maybe that will work in his favor in California recruiting.

I am not sure the Tucker loss is the end of the world. I think they have a pretty good shot at Eric Bieniemy. I think that would be an upgrade. When Bieniemy was at UCLA, he was the running backs coach and recruiting coordinator. He was the guy that recruited Maurice Jones-Drew to UCLA. He was one of my favorite coaches at UCLA. He was very intense, in a good way. The players respected him. He held people accountable. He is a graduate of CU, but played his high school ball in California. I think he will do a good job of recruiting for CU, especially in California.

I just don't think you can spin it any other way other than bad for the Pac 12. Coaching matters and to have 3 of the top 5-6 coaches all leave at once- is not good.
02-13-2020 02:02 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

(02-13-2020 02:02 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 01:29 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

I just don't think you can spin it any other way other than bad for the Pac 12. Coaching matters and to have 3 of the top 5-6 coaches all leave at once- is not good.

When did Tucker become one of the top 5-6 coaches in the PAC? He was 5-7 last season. He had blowout losses at Oregon, UCLA, Washington State and Utah. He lost at home to the Arizona, the worst team in the PAC last season. Petersen decided to retire, at least for now. Recruiting went well under Lake and Petersen is still going to be around as an advisor. Petersen has always done a good job of developing coaches. Rolovich had the 5th best passing offense in the nation at Hawaii. He took a two star QB out of Southern California with no D1 offers and developed him into a possible NFL quarterback. I think WSU will be just fine.

The coaches that are hard to replace are the Pete Carroll type of coaches. USC has never been able to find another Pete. That is the thing that is difficult. The others can be replaced.
02-13-2020 06:05 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
The story here is the PAC lost 2 coaches to Mississippi St and Michigan St, the latter of which was declined by the Cincinnati HC.
02-13-2020 07:33 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

(02-13-2020 07:33 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  The story here is the PAC lost 2 coaches to Mississippi St and Michigan St, the latter of which was declined by the Cincinnati HC.

Why is that a story? The Pac-12 lost a 5-7 coach to a school that was willing to double his salary. Paying Mel Tucker $5.5 million per season is a decision that Michigan State has to live with. Leach made $3.75 million last season. That ranked No.33 among FBS coaches in 2019. He will be getting $5 million per season at MSU.

https://247sports.com/college/washington...137416109/

Sometimes, a coach has done everything he can to be successful at a program and it is just time to move on. WSU ended up 10th ranked in the nation in 2018. It is not going to get much better than that. It was not just about salary. I think the guy needed a new challenge.
02-13-2020 08:14 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(02-13-2020 08:14 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 07:33 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  The story here is the PAC lost 2 coaches to Mississippi St and Michigan St, the latter of which was declined by the Cincinnati HC.

Why is that a story? The Pac-12 lost a 5-7 coach to a school that was willing to double his salary. Paying Mel Tucker $5.5 million per season is a decision that Michigan State has to live with. Leach made $3.75 million last season. That ranked No.33 among FBS coaches in 2019. He will be getting $5 million per season at MSU.

https://247sports.com/college/washington...137416109/

Sometimes, a coach has done everything he can to be successful at a program and it is just time to move on. WSU ended up 10th ranked in the nation in 2018. It is not going to get much better than that. It was not just about salary. I think the guy needed a new challenge.

He probably wanted to get back to recruit in Texas again. I see Leach becoming an announcer in three years.
02-14-2020 04:22 AM
Sparty84 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Michigan State
As a Spartan i am happy with the Mel Tucker pick. I understand that it is a gamble, but i also know that Dantonio was a guarantee of dismal outcomes for the rest of his MSU future.

I'm sorry that CSU fans, players and admin are butt hurt. But when opportunity arises... "Money talks and bull **** walks".

I love my job and have no plans of leaving but i would be gone in a heart beat if my salary was doubled by a competitor.

Go State!
02-15-2020 01:43 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

(02-15-2020 01:43 PM)Sparty84 Wrote:  As a Spartan i am happy with the Mel Tucker pick. I understand that it is a gamble, but i also know that Dantonio was a guarantee of dismal outcomes for the rest of his MSU future.

I'm sorry that CSU fans, players and admin are butt hurt. But when opportunity arises... "Money talks and bull **** walks".

I love my job and have no plans of leaving but i would be gone in a heart beat if my salary was doubled by a competitor.

Go State!

Actually it is Colorado, not Colorado State. Tucker made the right decision for himself. Michigan State is a great opportunity and the pay is double. No one should blame him for leaving Colorado. But Colorado would have been stupid to match the salary, even if they could afford to. You don't double the salary of a coach that went 5-7 is his first season. They can afford to pay a head coach $3 million per season and that should attract some good coaching candidates. They can use the $3 million buyout from Tucker's contract to cover the first season. The recent $177 million dollar upgrade in athletic facilities should be attractive to a head coach as well.

Michigan State is a Big 10 school and Big 10 schools have a lot of money to throw around. In January, Michigan State paid Mark Dantonio a bonus of $4.3 million. They now have to pay a $3 million dollar buyout to Colorado. So "Money talks and bull **** walks" but it is also financially sloppy and irresponsible to spend $7.3 million dollars and end up with a 5-7 head coach.
02-15-2020 05:09 PM
Mav Offline
1st String

I Root For: Omaha
(02-12-2020 10:29 AM)utpotts Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 09:21 AM)esayem Wrote:  Looks like Tucker will be getting some dough for assistants. He’s a Midwest guy, so this could have turned out worse I suppose.

He was still 5-7 in a conference that was far less difficult than the Big Ten East
Well, he outcoached Scott Frost, not that that's saying much.
02-16-2020 12:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.