NLI Signing Day
Bookmark and Share
Babes boy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: NLI Signing Day
(02-09-2020 07:37 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(02-08-2020 02:08 PM)RocketJeff Wrote:  
(02-05-2020 08:10 PM)rocketpaul Wrote:  So Carter Bradley was not in the top 3? I thought he was the only 4 star we ever had signed. (guess I was wrong)
No 4 star basketball players but we've had a number of 4 star football players. Amstutz signed lots of 4 star recruits. the problem was most never saw the field.

Don't remember Tommy signing any 4 star commits, only some highly ranked 3's. Two of the best UT’s BB talents I saw were Swaney and Reiser.

There was a RB that enrolled here. I think he originally signed with Akron as a 4* Richards or something. He was on probation to stay out of trouble but stole something from the student book store. Tom seemed to want to help several young men. I think that ultimately led to Tom’s trouble
02-09-2020 09:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(02-09-2020 09:57 AM)Babes boy Wrote:  
(02-08-2020 02:08 PM)RocketJeff Wrote:  [quote='rocketpaul' pid='16657016' dateline='1580951419']

So Carter Bradley was not in the top 3? I thought he was the only 4 star we ever had signed. (guess I was wrong)
No 4 star basketball players but we've had a number of 4 star football players. Amstutz signed lots of 4 star recruits. the problem was most never saw the field.

Don't remember Tommy signing any 4 star commits, only some highly ranked 3's. Two of the best UT’s BB talents I saw were Swaney and Reiser.

There was a RB that enrolled here. I think he originally signed with Akron as a 4* Richards or something. He was on probation to stay out of trouble but stole something from the student book store. Tom seemed to want to help several young men. I think that ultimately led to Tom’s trouble
[/quote

I think you're thinking about former Ohio Mr Football Ray Williams, who attempted to walk-on at UT. He was originally committed to WVU . Got caught stealing something like a $50 wireless device from the UT Bookstore, a violation of his probation. Of course got the boot from the University. Not the cause of Tommy's demise, but certainly didn't help.
02-09-2020 10:43 AM
Rocket75 Offline
1st String

Ray Williams had been convicted of involuntary manslaughter when he walked on at Toledo.
02-09-2020 11:26 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
A few interesting stats on MAC recruiting classes.

Toledo had the highest ranked recruit in the conference according to 247 Sports, RB Lamy Constant, .8750 with .9999 being perfect. No other MAC school had an .87 recruit. Interesting that Constant was rated higher than three Clemson recruits, the top class in the nation.

UT's second highest rated recruit was WR DeMeer Blankumsee at .8647. Only one other MAC school had an .86 recruit, Eastern Michigan with a JC player right at .8600.

Toledo also had three recruits above .8500. Five teams (Akron, Buffalo, CMU, Miami and Ohio) didn't have even one .8500 recruit. In fact, Akron's top recruit was in the .82 range, while Miami and Buffalo's top recruits were .83 kids.

Not sure how much all of this means, but UT had the most top quality recruits which could mean players with higher ceilings.
02-09-2020 05:55 PM
Babes boy Offline
1st String

(02-09-2020 10:43 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(02-08-2020 02:08 PM)RocketJeff Wrote:  [quote='rocketpaul' pid='16657016' dateline='1580951419']

So Carter Bradley was not in the top 3? I thought he was the only 4 star we ever had signed. (guess I was wrong)

[/quote

I think you're thinking about former Ohio Mr Football Ray Williams, who attempted to walk-on at UT. He was originally committed to WVU . Got caught stealing something like a $50 wireless device from the UT Bookstore, a violation of his probation. Of course got the boot from the University. Not the cause of Tommy's demise, but certainly didn't help.

I believe you are correct. I thought Akron was involved someway. Maybe he was from Akron. I don’t why his name was Richards. But I’m old so??
You know it’s a shame when you give someone a second chance and they can’t seem to take advantage of the opportunity. Some people don’t get it
02-09-2020 08:31 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(02-09-2020 08:31 PM)Babes boy Wrote:  

[/quote

I believe you are correct. I thought Akron was involved someway. Maybe he was from Akron. I don’t why his name was Richards. But I’m old so??
You know it’s a shame when you give someone a second chance and they can’t seem to take advantage of the opportunity. Some people don’t get it

Akron and Toledo were basically the only options for Williams at the D1 level for in state because the open enrollment policies.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2020 08:45 PM by Boca Rocket.)
02-09-2020 08:44 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-09-2020 08:31 PM)Babes boy Wrote:  

[/quote

He was from Cleveland St. Benedictine HS - and as I recall, he had an uncle that lived in Toledo and was one of the reasons he ended up coming to Toledo.

Just wonder how it would have gone if he was able to make it to the fall and earn a scholarship. Curious as to what he is doing now. Hopefully stayed out of trouble. That whole issue with the marijuana dealer that ended up killing his 16 year old teammate and friend, was after they tried to rob him using a toy gun. That was the manslaughter charge referred to.
02-12-2020 05:00 PM
Rocket Man Offline
2nd String

Dear fellow Rocket Football supporters,

I am upset at our Football Coaches. Friends of ours has a son that was offered a preferred walk on to both UT and other MAC schools. The parents are both UT alums and are great people. Apparently the UT coaches showed little interest in this kid, and only after hearing that another MAC school won over this kid did they then show any interest. They also showed a lack of class in sending questionable texts to this kid after his selection. Apparently the other head coach invited the parents and son in and laid out a plan for their son and really showed that they wanted him. UT coaches did not do this and treated this kid as an after thought.

This needs to change! First and foremost, our coaches need to be great people and show kindness to any sought after recruit - whether a PWO or full scholarship. If any of these coaches are dicks - they need to go. I don't care how smart they think they are about football. Being a good person comes first. Unfortunately, this UT assistant coach may have lost a few UT alumni to another MAC program. They were really excited he might be playing for their school - now they will be decked in xxx and xxx because of how they were treated by some dick assistant coach. Candle needs to do a better job of making all potential recruits feel at home and loved. This starts by selecting coaches that are good people first! You never know how some of these kids will develop. This kid might really blossom in college. It also hurts the fan base when we push parents and alumni support away. We need to keep these local kids here - and show extra interest in them. This really upsets me. I know some will say - well that is D1 football. Well I say - there are other D1 programs that are not doing this and are stealing our kids because of a simple thing - kindness and interest. It is not Rocket science (LOL). Treat everyone like you'd like to be treated yourself. The Golden Rule!!! Come on coaches - get with it!!!
02-17-2020 10:30 AM
toledobigmike Offline
1st String

(02-17-2020 10:30 AM)Rocket Man Wrote:  Dear fellow Rocket Football supporters,

I am upset at our Football Coaches. Friends of ours has a son that was offered a preferred walk on to both UT and other MAC schools. The parents are both UT alums and are great people. Apparently the UT coaches showed little interest in this kid, and only after hearing that another MAC school won over this kid did they then show any interest. They also showed a lack of class in sending questionable texts to this kid after his selection. Apparently the other head coach invited the parents and son in and laid out a plan for their son and really showed that they wanted him. UT coaches did not do this and treated this kid as an after thought.

This needs to change! First and foremost, our coaches need to be great people and show kindness to any sought after recruit - whether a PWO or full scholarship. If any of these coaches are dicks - they need to go. I don't care how smart they think they are about football. Being a good person comes first. Unfortunately, this UT assistant coach may have lost a few UT alumni to another MAC program. They were really excited he might be playing for their school - now they will be decked in xxx and xxx because of how they were treated by some dick assistant coach. Candle needs to do a better job of making all potential recruits feel at home and loved. This starts by selecting coaches that are good people first! You never know how some of these kids will develop. This kid might really blossom in college. It also hurts the fan base when we push parents and alumni support away. We need to keep these local kids here - and show extra interest in them. This really upsets me. I know some will say - well that is D1 football. Well I say - there are other D1 programs that are not doing this and are stealing our kids because of a simple thing - kindness and interest. It is not Rocket science (LOL). Treat everyone like you'd like to be treated yourself. The Golden Rule!!! Come on coaches - get with it!!!

You’re upset about hearsay from one of the least objective sources on the planet...someone’s parents? Without more significant details, this story is emotionally charged worthless ranting. 01-wingedeagle
02-17-2020 11:22 AM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

(02-17-2020 11:22 AM)toledobigmike Wrote:  

You’re upset about hearsay from one of the least objective sources on the planet...someone’s parents? Without more significant details, this story is emotionally charged worthless ranting. 01-wingedeagle

Agree this is not the real world. Coaches can't show the same interest in every kid during the recruiting process. Can you imagine what these same parents would have said if the coached made this kid think he was their number one recruit and then didn't offer him? Led him on and turned down other offers thinking UT was going to offer him? I don't think the UT staff would be bringing in the top class in the MAC year after year if they were not treating recruits with respect.
02-17-2020 12:00 PM
Rocket Man Offline
2nd String

Guys,

I respect your opinions, but I disagree 100%. This is not worthless ranting. If someone treats you like a dick - they are a dick period. I have more specific information and details on this situation that I have purposely not posted - for obvious reasons - including the position coach, the conversations, his texts, etc... My gripe is that if you are a recruiter and you are coming across as a dick, well then maybe you are not in the right position. As noted, this is not Rocket science. Your job is to make a kid feel welcomed - especially a kid we offered. If you can't do that - then you should probably be doing something else.

As a person, I know within a couple minutes of meeting someone their true colors and if they are a dick or not. I think most people can read others the same way.

Next time someone treats you like a dick - post it here. We will all make sure to question it and let you know your not credible, you miss interpreted it or are just an emotional mess.

Hey - we all love our Rockets and want the best for them! I just pray these coaches figure it out and do it the right way. I want coaches that are great guys first! This program is more that Xs and Os. I want to be proud of our coaches - give us a reason to.

GO ROCKETS!!!
02-17-2020 01:01 PM
UTerry Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(02-17-2020 01:01 PM)Rocket Man Wrote:  Guys,

I respect your opinions, but I disagree 100%. This is not worthless ranting. If someone treats you like a dick - they are a dick period. I have more specific information and details on this situation that I have purposely not posted - for obvious reasons - including the position coach, the conversations, his texts, etc... My gripe is that if you are a recruiter and you are coming across as a dick, well then maybe you are not in the right position. As noted, this is not Rocket science. Your job is to make a kid feel welcomed - especially a kid we offered. If you can't do that - then you should probably be doing something else.

As a person, I know within a couple minutes of meeting someone their true colors and if they are a dick or not. I think most people can read others the same way.

Next time someone treats you like a dick - post it here. We will all make sure to question it and let you know your not credible, you miss interpreted it or are just an emotional mess.

Hey - we all love our Rockets and want the best for them! I just pray these coaches figure it out and do it the right way. I want coaches that are great guys first! This program is more that Xs and Os. I want to be proud of our coaches - give us a reason to.

GO ROCKETS!!!

Did the parents go to Candle and say anything to him about the situation and the conduct of the assistant coach?
As alums and fans of the program, they and possibly you, have that opportunity to voice your opinions on that matter.
Remember, the head coach is accountable for his assistants actions while recruiting. Whether the assistants commit NCAA recruiting infractions or behave badly toward possible recruits and their families...….
02-17-2020 01:21 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo

I am upset at our Football Coaches.

They also showed a lack of class in sending questionable texts to this kid after his selection.

This needs to change! First and foremost, our coaches need to be great people and show kindness to any sought after recruit - whether a PWO or full scholarship. If any of these coaches are dicks - they need to go...

I think if they treated disrespectfully, you mention "questionable" texts most certainly this need brought to the attention of the AD who will take it to Candle.

Not every alums' kids can find a spot and I agree with what has already been said; you do not want to mislead a kid. I think all here would wish him the best whereever he lands. Perhaps they can use him more and use him earlier.
02-17-2020 01:26 PM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

GO ROCKETS!!!

Not knowing the detail, but trusting what you heard is true. Of course, this is not right in any aspect of life. It just seems strange, since this seems to be the only report ever reported.
02-17-2020 01:51 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo

I respect your opinions, but I disagree 100%.
GO ROCKETS!!!

We really do not have anything on which to give an opinion. I'm not sure what it is you disagree 100% on.

You give no specifics. If you had approached it generally, said this is what a (unnamed) coach wrote/texted.... then we could have an opinion.

This probably isn't the place anyhow. No one is doubting you but it's something to take to the AD, not a message board. It's not a public action. It was a private interaction. No one here would want the coaches acting unwelcoming or inappropriately but there is nothing anyone here can do. Don't hesitate to take it to the AD so he can bring it up with the coach. THAT would be MY opinion.
02-17-2020 05:29 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:

GO ROCKETS!!!
We are talking about a preferred walk on, right? Not that he isn't a great kid and possible all MAC performer. Look at Cody Thompson. We were his only offer, period. Recruiting has to be tough on both sides of the fence. Parents think their kids are all world (I'm guilty) and coaches have to evaluate hundreds if not thousands of kids and manage those relationships. Granted the golden rule is important. I have work customers who get more attention than others for a variety of reasons, but everyone gets respect.

It could be rumor, but I heard that Tom Ward was like the 21st out of 20 recruits his senior year for OSU. If one other kid would have gone elsewhere, Tom may have been a Buckeye, but he was probably one of our #1 targets. I bet he wasn't getting the same attention as the top 10-15 kids in that OSU class.

It sounds like you are very close to this situation and it has to sting for everyone involved. Careers, championships, bowl games and a lot of financial implications hinge on a coach or coaches making these decisions, not just appeasing a few alumni. We have had a few legacy players work out and who doesn't want to see more Long's or little Chester Taylor's running around the field. Chuck Ealy's son was on our roster, but you won't find him in many box scores. Just yesterday it seems like daddy Rosi was hauling in passes.

I hope the kid lands in a spot that is the best spot for him, where he is wanted and can contribute. Mom and dad will be proud no matter where he goes. If he burns us for a game winning TD or interception, then egg on our face.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
02-17-2020 07:41 PM
Rocket Man Offline
2nd String

We all agree on the most important part of this thread We want what is best for this young man. We’ll leave it at that.
02-17-2020 08:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.