Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cheerleaders/Men’s Basketball
Bookmark and Share
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
RE: Cheerleaders/Men’s Basketball
Yes it is(lol) she’s just having fun she also is in some kind of modeling contest and was doing very well last I heard.
02-02-2020 06:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

I don’t think cheerleaders are part of athletics anymore? I was told they are a club sport now(not really sure)
02-02-2020 06:32 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

She was in some type of girls of Maxim contest. Good for her! Not sure if it’s over or if she won but was told she made the finals of the contest.
02-02-2020 06:49 PM
dogdangit Offline
2nd String

(02-02-2020 06:32 PM)dc1 Wrote:  I don’t think cheerleaders are part of athletics anymore? I was told they are a club sport now(not really sure)

Correct, they were kicked out of athletics after an alcohol incident while travelling with the school. Now they don't receive much from the school and are pretty vocal about it on twitter.

https://twitter.com/NIUCheerleading/stat...89378?s=20
02-02-2020 10:38 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(02-02-2020 06:22 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  
(02-02-2020 06:04 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(02-02-2020 05:54 PM)dc1 Wrote:  Speaking of NIU cheerleaders check out the coach on instagram: Aubsgall/Aubrey Rose click on her photo. I’d post some photos but don’t know how. Dog fan you’ll love this!

OMG. WTF?
That cannot be our coach? If it is, what is the administration thinking?.
https://www.instagram.com/aubsgall/

If that’s our cheerleading coach, NIU needs to publicize her Instagram photos more. It would get more people to go to games.
02-03-2020 01:19 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
I notice some NIU fb players and college basketball players I follow on IG like her photos. She must be pretty popular.
02-03-2020 01:23 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
According to this Northern Star article from April 9, 2018:

https://northernstar.info/sports/cheerle...5048e.html

The cheerleading program was cut from athletics, and is now headed by a volunteer coach. Coach Aubrey Gallione's comment in the article: "“Funding is a huge roadblock for this program, but I’m hoping to continue to fundraise for these kids so the cost of what they pay per season will go down,” Gallione said. “It’s very rare to have a Division I school not have their cheerleading program under athletics. Unfortunately, I know money is tight all around, and the athletic department found themselves having to make tough decisions because of budget cuts, but I just want to make sure my athletes feel important because they are so deserving.”

So the band got cut back, and Lisa Freeman fixed that. And this ... ?

Also, I have not seen any publicity r.e. fundraising.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2020 09:59 AM by pvk75.)
02-03-2020 04:35 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

And by the way, if you want to support the Silverettes, you can gmail the Studio M Dance Company. I think it's in Sycamore.

What the hell? The marching band got cut. Freeman brought it back. Now we find out that dozens of other students who provide part of the "public face" of NIU and Huskies athletics got cut.

There is an old marketing rule of thumb called "the rule of 10." For every person you do something TO, they tell three people, and each of those three tell two ... 1+3+2+2+2=10. On a campus with thousands of students having daily contact, the number is probably much larger. So how many students does athletics NOT care about? And what do those students have to say to other students?
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2020 05:07 AM by pvk75.)
02-03-2020 05:04 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(02-03-2020 05:04 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  And by the way, if you want to support the Silverettes, you can gmail the Studio M Dance Company. I think it's in Sycamore.

What the hell? The marching band got cut. Freeman brought it back. Now we find out that dozens of other students who provide part of the "public face" of NIU and Huskies athletics got cut.

There is an old marketing rule of thumb called "the rule of 10." For every person you do something TO, they tell three people, and each of those three tell two ... 1+3+2+2+2=10. On a campus with thousands of students having daily contact, the number is probably much larger. So how many students does athletics NOT care about? And what do those students have to say to other students?

Yep. There's no telling how many other people they've done this stuff to that results in lower attendance and other problems, that we don't know about.
02-03-2020 09:08 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
If cheerleading was cut from Athletics because of a funding issue, this is another dark stain on an already inept Athletics administration. You just don't cut the cheerleaders who work tirelessly to support our teams! What the hell is wrong with this administration? Why doesn't STF just place another wet kiss on the arse of a big donor to pony up a few dollars for our worthy cheerleaders? It doesn't take a lot of money. If the cheerleaders still exist as a group that accepts donations, I will reduce my HAF donation this year and send it to the cheerleaders. I am so disgusted that the thought of even one of my donor dollars going to fund this administration turns my stomach. Just another nail in the coffin of reduced fan interest in this school.
02-03-2020 09:10 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

They did get cut from funding. They weren’t at the game Saturday because they were fundraising so they can go to nationals.
02-03-2020 11:14 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

And stop being weirdos about Aubrey lol
02-03-2020 11:15 AM
El Duderino Offline
Special Teams

(02-03-2020 11:15 AM)7 Wrote:  And stop being weirdos about Aubrey lol

Weirdness would be not appreciating those photos.
02-03-2020 01:04 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

(02-03-2020 11:14 AM)7 Wrote:  They did get cut from funding. They weren’t at the game Saturday because they were fundraising so they can go to nationals.

Yeah. Sad ... (from Twitter page:)

Aubrey Rose
@AubsGall
Feb 1
Wish my team could be cheering at the men's basketball game today on national TV instead of working a event to make money for our program.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2020 04:43 PM by pvk75.)
02-03-2020 04:42 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

I've honestly grown annoyed and tired of the cheerleading squad in regards to their attendance at games, but all of this information is quite new to me and puts the situation in a completely new light.

I had no idea they were basically self-funding the program and, frankly, I can't blame them for not showing up to events if this is the case. More and more saddens me about the athletics program.

I'm fully aware of the financial constraints put on the program but to have zero social media presence of German or Woods accomplishments. I didn't even know about Woods until I read this thread and, since I didn't know her last name, I went to the athletics website to look it up and there still isn't even an article dedicated to it (there is one for German).

Having no mention of this leading up to the game about either of these on social media....and to have them happen on the same day!!!!...is much more of an embarrassment than that whole Justin Lynch thing in the other thread.

Clearly, for a school, it's an uphill battle to get students in to the stadiums for games (I know, I know, it wasn't like that when you or I went there, but it is a real issue in 2020), but wishing and hoping it will change (or simply accepting it) is not good enough. Social media is both effective with today's young people, but it's also.....FREE.

To not utilize the social media accounts is absurd. To not notify season ticket holders of schedule changes is absurd.

Honestly, I don't know how to fix the money situation for the cheerleaders, but having people in attendance and not pissing off long-time season ticket holders may go some distance towards rectifying the situation. But, I'll be completely honest here, it seems that "acceptance" (and not the social justice kind) is the modus operandi of the NIU athletic department. Students don't show up? Okay...we accept that. Not enough money for programs? Okay...we accept that. A major accomplishment of our student athletes, one of which is going to be televised on national television? Uh.....ok? What do you want us to do about it?
02-03-2020 05:12 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(02-03-2020 05:12 PM)Big Red Wrote:  I've honestly grown annoyed and tired of the cheerleading squad in regards to their attendance at games, but all of this information is quite new to me and puts the situation in a completely new light.

I had no idea they were basically self-funding the program and, frankly, I can't blame them for not showing up to events if this is the case. More and more saddens me about the athletics program.

I'm fully aware of the financial constraints put on the program but to have zero social media presence of German or Woods accomplishments. I didn't even know about Woods until I read this thread and, since I didn't know her last name, I went to the athletics website to look it up and there still isn't even an article dedicated to it (there is one for German).

Having no mention of this leading up to the game about either of these on social media....and to have them happen on the same day!!!!...is much more of an embarrassment than that whole Justin Lynch thing in the other thread.

Clearly, for a school, it's an uphill battle to get students in to the stadiums for games (I know, I know, it wasn't like that when you or I went there, but it is a real issue in 2020), but wishing and hoping it will change (or simply accepting it) is not good enough. Social media is both effective with today's young people, but it's also.....FREE.

To not utilize the social media accounts is absurd. To not notify season ticket holders of schedule changes is absurd.

Honestly, I don't know how to fix the money situation for the cheerleaders, but having people in attendance and not pissing off long-time season ticket holders may go some distance towards rectifying the situation. But, I'll be completely honest here, it seems that "acceptance" (and not the social justice kind) is the modus operandi of the NIU athletic department. Students don't show up? Okay...we accept that. Not enough money for programs? Okay...we accept that. A major accomplishment of our student athletes, one of which is going to be televised on national television? Uh.....ok? What do you want us to do about it?

Frankly it's pretty sad and I feel bad for the cheerleaders. It also takes away from the game experience - and we really can't afford to take away anything from it.
02-03-2020 05:22 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

Not to belabor the point, but I am suspicious that the "alcohol incident while travelling with the school" became an excuse to make the cut. How many student-athletes have had "alcohol incidents?" I don't know the details, but it almost sounds like an oh-well-we-can't-have-that.

As for what Big red said, +100. Athletics seems to be focused on TV, more TV and only TV, and the hell with the students, the local fans, the mainstream alumni, and anybody else without $$$$$$$. This isn't Wisconsin, Mr. STF. Friday night's mbb game is on cbs ... but right in the face of local h.s. bball.

Woods didn't get to 2,000, but she's -- what -- 2 pts short? We also had mention of that on the WBB thread. As far as I'm aware the Dog Pound gives more attention to student-athlete achievements than any social media the university has.

I've said this before and will again because it's so freakin' easy to comprehend ... 1,000 fans donating $1,000 each produces the same $1 million as 100 fans donating $10,000 each ... but the 1,000 can put 900 more in the seats. Why is this rocket science to our a.dept? Maybe it's because the 100 fans means fewer butts to kiss. Or something.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2020 05:27 PM by pvk75.)
02-03-2020 05:23 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(02-03-2020 05:23 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  Not to belabor the point, but I am suspicious that the "alcohol incident while travelling with the school" became an excuse to make the cut. How many student-athletes have had "alcohol incidents?" I don't know the details, but it almost sounds like an oh-well-we-can't-have-that.

As for what Big red said, +100. Athletics seems to be focused on TV, more TV and only TV, and the hell with the students, the local fans, the mainstream alumni, and anybody else without $$$$$$$. This isn't Wisconsin, Mr. STF. Friday night's mbb game is on cbs ... but right in the face of local h.s. bball.

Woods didn't get to 2,000, but she's -- what -- 3 pts short? We also had mention of that on the WBB thread. As far as I'm aware the Dog Pound gives more attention to student-athlete achievements than any social media the university has.

I've said this before and will again because it's so freakin' easy to comprehend ... 1,000 fans donating $1,000 each produces the same $1 million as 100 fans donating $10,000 each ... but the 1,000 can put 900 more in the seats. Why is this rocket science to our a.dept? Maybe it's because the 100 fans means fewer butts to kiss. Or something.

Well said. Especially with us being all about TV at the expense of everything else.
02-03-2020 05:25 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
Cheerleaders/Men’s Basketball
I, too, have said this for a few years, but I’ll say it again. This administration under STF could not care less about fans and nurturing relationships with them unless they have mega bucks stuffing their pockets. Building relationships with donors (except those that vomit hundred dollar bills) is an afterthought - or not a thought at all - except for the non-stop phone calls in March and April to “help” us make our donations. Frankly, I am sick of it and have had enough.

All of this lack of communication, marketing, and doing things half-ass (or not at all) is evidence that we are an FCS school (or lower) masquerading as an FBS school. It is embarrassing, and I am ashamed of this administration.
02-03-2020 08:30 PM
Huskie Info Offline
Bench Warmer

Not sure what social media you all are following but there is ALWAYS a ton of social media posts about things like this and the Eugene German clip (video) and post got a ton of hits on both the individual sport accounts and on the Huskies' main accounts. You may NOT find these on the main university account because those are not run by athletics, they are run by institutional communications.

So just to make sure you can find the best sites, please follow

Twitter: @NIUAthletics, @GoHuskiesMBB, @GoHuskiesWBB
Instagram: niuhuskies, niumensbasketball, gohuskieswbb
Facebook: NIUAthletics, GoHuskiesWBB

You will see posts about all sports on the main account

Also, if you want to see a directory of all accounts, including those specific to sports and coaches, you can always check the social media directory on the website:

https://niuhuskies.com/sports/2016/6/13/...-html.aspx

And yes, Courtney Woods did NOT get to 2000 points but assuming she gets it on Wednesday there will be coverage of it.
02-04-2020 12:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.