ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2020 BASEBALL
The Flagship Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
2020 BASEBALL
Could be a good season for us. We have a lot of quality pitching. We'll need to get consistent hitting to compliment the pitching. Heavy home schedule this year (that's not good in the RPI era but good for student athletes).

Picked 4th in CUSA. The two heavyweights (FAU and USM) are playing at the Bud.
01-30-2020 05:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MonarchsWon Offline
2nd String

RE: 2020 BASEBALL
I saw that and was glad to see it. CUSA is a good baseball conference and - like all of our sports - there is no reason we shouldn't be top tier in the conference. We have a nice facility, a good recruiting base of local talent and decent resources. If they can get it going - again, like all of our sports - it will only snowball for the better in every way.
02-01-2020 12:44 PM
The Flagship Offline
All American

6 votes in the pre-season Coaches Poll. 45th overall.

We open the season on Friday.
02-12-2020 07:34 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(02-01-2020 12:44 PM)MonarchsWon Wrote:  I saw that and was glad to see it. CUSA is a good baseball conference and - like all of our sports - there is no reason we shouldn't be top tier in the conference. We have a nice facility, a good recruiting base of local talent and decent resources. If they can get it going - again, like all of our sports - it will only snowball for the better in every way.

If you look around the league we have an okay facility. The hitting facility is nice. And so is the new rally alley. The scoreboard is awesome. But we really need to upgrade the concessions and grandstand.
02-13-2020 08:32 AM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(02-01-2020 12:44 PM)MonarchsWon Wrote:  I saw that and was glad to see it. CUSA is a good baseball conference and - like all of our sports - there is no reason we shouldn't be top tier in the conference. We have a nice facility, a good recruiting base of local talent and decent resources. If they can get it going - again, like all of our sports - it will only snowball for the better in every way.

I disagree with the state of our facility. With the exception of some modest upgrades the stadium is much the same as it was in the 1990's. It is not bad, but I am sure Rice and others have much better baseball facilities.
02-13-2020 09:00 AM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

(02-13-2020 09:00 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  

I disagree with the state of our facility. With the exception of some modest upgrades the stadium is much the same as it was in the 1990's. It is not bad, but I am sure Rice and others have much better baseball facilities.

Most of the CUSA schools are located in the Deep South where baseball is much more dominant than it is here. I would say that baseball is likely more popular, and better attended than is basketball at many CUSA schools. As far as Rice, they have been to eight College World Series, and won a National Championship in 2003. Rice is a baseball school. Look at the thread on this board titled “Where are your priorities?” and you will see that ODU’s investment into baseball is commensurate (or better) with interest in the program.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2020 09:31 AM by paintedblue2.)
02-13-2020 09:30 AM
Advertisement

ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(02-13-2020 09:30 AM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  

Most of the CUSA schools are located in the Deep South where baseball is much more dominant than it is here. I would say that baseball is likely more popular, and better attended than is basketball at many CUSA schools. As far as Rice, they have been to eight College World Series, and won a National Championship in 2003. Rice is a baseball school. Look at the thread on this board titled “Where are your priorities?” and you will see that ODU’s investment into baseball is commensurate (or better) with interest in the program.

Yup. You can play baseball year round at most CUSA schools. I'm surprised that FAU and FIU aren't more dominant programs.

Playing in Norfolk in April can be a miserable experience.
02-13-2020 09:39 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

It is definitely a facility that matches fan support. But could the fan support improve with a better fan experience?
02-13-2020 09:41 AM
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

As long as we are stuck with Aramark we will have bad concessions. Bland. Tasteless. Unimaginative. And we are stuck with them for many many years.
02-13-2020 05:44 PM
NC ODUFan Offline
Special Teams

(02-13-2020 09:39 AM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  

Yup. You can play baseball year round at most CUSA schools. I'm surprised that FAU and FIU aren't more dominant programs.

Even in the Sunshine State, FAU and FIU can be tough sells, both commuter schools with little fan or media interest. And then there is the matter of Miami and FSU getting most of the better players in Florida.
02-13-2020 10:23 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
9th season under Finwood. No Conference Championships and only one NCAA appearance to show for it. Why does this guy still have a job?
02-14-2020 06:04 AM
Advertisement

757ODU Offline
All American

(02-14-2020 06:04 AM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  9th season under Finwood. No Conference Championships and only one NCAA appearance to show for it. Why does this guy still have a job?

Winning a conference championship in baseball, in CUSA, is a very tough thing to do. Southern Miss and Rice have elite baseball programs, and if they falter, you have FIU and FAU waiting behind them. It is a very tough baseball conference.
02-14-2020 07:40 AM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(02-13-2020 10:23 PM)NC ODUFan Wrote:  

Even in the Sunshine State, FAU and FIU can be tough sells, both commuter schools with little fan or media interest. And then there is the matter of Miami and FSU getting most of the better players in Florida.

Should be an easy sell for kids that live in NJ, NY, MA, etc.
02-14-2020 09:23 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

(02-13-2020 08:32 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

If you look around the league we have an okay facility. The hitting facility is nice. And so is the new rally alley. The scoreboard is awesome. But we really need to upgrade the concessions and grandstand.

Still waiting for Verlander to come back around.
02-14-2020 01:50 PM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

Monarchs win opening day 9-5 over Towson.
02-14-2020 07:00 PM
NC ODUFan Offline
Special Teams

(02-14-2020 09:23 AM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 10:23 PM)NC ODUFan Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 09:00 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  I disagree with the state of our facility. With the exception of some modest upgrades the stadium is much the same as it was in the 1990's. It is not bad, but I am sure Rice and others have much better baseball facilities.

Should be an easy sell for kids that live in NJ, NY, MA, etc.

With way too much time on my hands I looked up their current rosters. FAU has 7 out their 35 players from Northern states; FIU has none of their players from Northern states.
02-14-2020 07:19 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-13-2020 09:41 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

It is definitely a facility that matches fan support. But could the fan support improve with a better fan experience?

ODU has three things working against it:
1. No baseball culture this far north (you can overcome it as Virginia has, but they're also Virginia)
2. A minor-league team in town that commands a lot more attention
3. Few baseball-weather days in-season. OOC is usually a cold shitshow, but it can be uncomfortable for a 2-3 hour game even in April and early May. If baseball ever switched to a spring/summer schedule, it would help but I think even then there's limits to how far any mid-major baseball program in the Mid-Atlantic can go.
02-14-2020 08:44 PM
The Flagship Offline
All American

No video for first 3 innings of today's game.
Live stats program is awful.
Our technology has not improved in 20 years.
02-15-2020 02:57 PM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

Another win today. This time a 5-0 shutout.
02-15-2020 07:35 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(02-14-2020 08:44 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 09:41 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

ODU has three things working against it:
1. No baseball culture this far north (you can overcome it as Virginia has, but they're also Virginia)
2. A minor-league team in town that commands a lot more attention
3. Few baseball-weather days in-season. OOC is usually a cold shitshow, but it can be uncomfortable for a 2-3 hour game even in April and early May. If baseball ever switched to a spring/summer schedule, it would help but I think even then there's limits to how far any mid-major baseball program in the Mid-Atlantic can go.

Cool. None of that means we can't improve our support.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2020 02:39 PM by Monarchist13.)
02-16-2020 02:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.