ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: Window Shopping
(01-30-2020 05:28 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(01-30-2020 04:46 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(01-30-2020 02:27 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(01-30-2020 11:19 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(01-30-2020 11:04 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Why do we care if we develop bigs from US or another country?

Why not save money with the recruiting budget and create better ties with the school by recruiting someone from the region? Also, they should surely be able to get more first hand looks at the kids that are within a couple hours drive than someone playing in Greece. If this kid was a star coming to the program - like Laughton or Lee were - then it would make sense. These last two from Greece don't seem to make alot of sense.

Who is to say there are kids that are within a couple hours drive that are just as good and willing to play at ODU? Who is to say that the relationships developed with coaches in greece won't produce a big time recruit that wants to attend ODU because of who has come over?

You're simply trying to argue about something now. We can play the "Who is to say" game all day long if you wish.

The two hours comment was simply a "for instance" and not meant to be a limiting factor. Surely there are lots of sizeable guys that could be taken on as a "project" within a 2 hour drive from Norfolk, right? You realize that in approximately two hours one could drive well into eastern and mid-NC and west to at least the Richmond and its supburbs.

The main point being, do you really think that it is necessary to go so far as Greece to get what they have gotten thus far to support the ODU basketball teams? I'm guessing not. Frankly, what what we have witnessed thus far, neither of them would be hard at all to replace.

We are talking about a true freshman. Unless we know what he will be in 2-3 years, then I have no idea what other options were out there that were interested in ODU.

We previously discussed (your point) that we had to have big guys. Now that we got one, we should have stay in the States for a big player?

Now you're trying to reword my previous comments on big guys to fit your story line. You think ODU had to go all the way to Greece to get an injured big guy to anchor the end of the bench for us? They probably could have found a healthy one in Hampton Roads alone to fit that bill.

For the record I have stated previously (since the end of last season) the need for ODU to get one or more bigs that can provide an immediate contribution. I mentioned something to the effect that it remained to be seen if this Greek guy could fit that bill, especially with his noted injury along with the facts that he is a European player and a true freshman.

Several on here (most likely yourself included) stated that they felt ODU would not have any problems with the Center position this season after I had made my comments detailing my concerns there. I believe I made those comments back in June after the recruitment of the big from Greece. I was skeptical of the development of both Dickens and Kalu as far as them progressing as much during the off season as some others had predicted they would. I also expressed my concerns regarding the technique that Dickens used to guard heavier/stronger post players - i.e. attempt to body up on them instead of leaving himself enough room to jump up to defend their close in shot. I stated that Kalu would be better suited to playing PF, and that those two was not enough - and that we were only an illness, injury, disciplinary action, foul trouble, etc. (transfer) away from having to play our undersized Carver at center. Well taaa-daaa, here we are.

NOTHING has changed in that regard. ODU needs bigs now even more than they did when last season ended. Jeff Jones himself stated right after the season ended, "We need to get more production out of the post position". What grade would you give him on fixing that matter?

If the Greek guy was any good today he would be playing. If he was too injured to play up to this point of the season then he shouldn't have been the lone big man brought in during the off season. Yes, ODU needs some size in the post, but they don't need another guy that is just getting splinters from sitting on the pine. That does nothing to help change the status quo.
01-30-2020 07:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bluelight Offline
1st String

(01-29-2020 05:53 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  I've watched this guy run. I don't think his knee is so much a problem as him simply being flat footed and incapable of running.

Credit JJ for his excellent recruiting. When it gets late in the spring, JJ will take anybody that even looks like a basketball player.
01-31-2020 05:31 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

We had a local 4* kid from Hampton, but he decided he didn't want to do what was required. I have enjoyed our euro/foreign players and think many have become fan favorites. It takes a lot to leave everything you know and go halfway around the world to play college ball. New everything, language, customs, culture, all on a 18 year old.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2020 09:19 AM by DaBigBlue.)
01-31-2020 10:07 PM
BigBlueBobby Offline
1st String

Gonzaga has I believe 6 or 7 International players on this years squad or about 50% of the team! It surely hasn't hurt them. And that is pretty much the norm for them. Across the ocean is where the "BIG" men are. I would look locally and outside the USA.
02-01-2020 09:42 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2020 10:07 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  We had a local 4* kid from Hampton, but he decided he didn't want to do want was required. I have enjoyed our euro/foreign players and think many have become fan favorites. It takes a lot to leave everything you know and go halfway around the world to play college ball. New everything, language, customs, culture, all on a 18 year old.

Dickens was an absolute no brainer. YOu take a 4 star local kid without even thinking about it. BUt, the difficult part is you don't know how they will end up playing at home.
02-01-2020 09:57 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

(02-01-2020 09:57 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(01-31-2020 10:07 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  We had a local 4* kid from Hampton, but he decided he didn't want to do want was required. I have enjoyed our euro/foreign players and think many have become fan favorites. It takes a lot to leave everything you know and go halfway around the world to play college ball. New everything, language, customs, culture, all on a 18 year old.

Dickens was an absolute no brainer. YOu take a 4 star local kid without even thinking about it. BUt, the difficult part is you don't know how they will end up playing at home.

Yea we take him, sometimes the distraction of playing near home is too much. Along with international player being fan favorites, we love our Hometown Heros and of course sons of former Monarchs. I love the two we currently have and what great people they're developing into.
02-01-2020 10:29 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(02-01-2020 09:42 AM)BigBlueBobby Wrote:  Gonzaga has I believe 6 or 7 International players on this years squad or about 50% of the team! It surely hasn't hurt them. And that is pretty much the norm for them. Across the ocean is where the "BIG" men are. I would look locally and outside the USA.
Agree 100% and fully support overseas recruiting. We just need to get the overseas bigs that are impact players like Gonzaga. Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be happening. I think the point was that we can get projects locally. There are plenty of them out there. If we are that desperate, just pick up another Nik Biberaj or Stephen Vassor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
02-01-2020 12:34 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
I'd love to have Biberaj this year. Vassor to for that matter.
02-01-2020 01:20 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(02-01-2020 12:34 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(02-01-2020 09:42 AM)BigBlueBobby Wrote:  Gonzaga has I believe 6 or 7 International players on this years squad or about 50% of the team! It surely hasn't hurt them. And that is pretty much the norm for them. Across the ocean is where the "BIG" men are. I would look locally and outside the USA.
Agree 100% and fully support overseas recruiting. We just need to get the overseas bigs that are impact players like Gonzaga. Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be happening. I think the point was that we can get projects locally. There are plenty of them out there. If we are that desperate, just pick up another Nik Biberaj or Stephen Vassor.

That's what I was saying. Getting overseas big guys is fine when we get guys like Laughton, Lee, Vasylius, Dahi, etc. When ODU ends up with players that are projects that they hope will eventually turn out to be usable pieces to add to the roster, that is something they can accomplish by recruiting regionally. Going that route allows the several members of the staff to get first hand looks at the player to make a more astute judgement of the player's long term potential. Frank Hassell - Indian River High School - for example was brought in by Blaine to be a project big man because he saw some potential in him.

EDIT: Before someone jumps in and tells me something that I already knew (that Vasylius and Dahi were playing in the U.S.), I know that Blaine traveled to Lithuania to visit Vasylius's parents as part of his recruitment. Not sure if he had to do similarly for Dahi. Perhaps he doesn't recruit either player if they were not already playing stateside. Blaine seemed to have a little more in the way of contacts regarding overseas recruiting than Jeff does to me. At least he got better results from it anyway.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2020 03:07 PM by ODU BBALL.)
02-01-2020 03:01 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(02-01-2020 01:20 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  I'd love to have Biberaj this year. Vassor to for that matter.

I don't disagree with you at all. The sad part of that story is that we are wishing that we had a couple of walk-ons, which doesn't speak well for the state of the recruiting situation recently.
02-01-2020 03:09 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-01-2020 01:20 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  I'd love to have Biberaj this year. Vassor to for that matter.

I couldnt see either getting more than mop up minutes.
02-01-2020 03:48 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(02-01-2020 03:48 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

I couldnt see either getting more than mop up minutes.

Biberaj would be getting minutes as part of the regular rotation if he wasn't starting at this point. Heck, he did so on better ODU teams than this one. Vassor started 3 games if I remember correctly in an early season tournament in Connecticut for ODU when someone was missing for some reason or another. He also got on the court at other times than that which weren't "mop up minutes".

Did you see Palavious getting all these minutes this year?
02-01-2020 04:33 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Window Shopping
Biberaj was better than Palavious and in some ways better than Carver. As good as Curry and Wade are at driving, having a big that you have to guard out to the arc would make them that much better.

02-01-2020 09:51 PM
NC ODUFan Offline
Special Teams

I love my school, but why would a really good international big man want to come to ODU over a Power 5 program, or in Gonzaga's case, not Power 5, but one of the best programs in the country?
02-01-2020 10:02 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(02-01-2020 10:02 PM)NC ODUFan Wrote:  

I love my school, but why would a really good international big man want to come to ODU over a Power 5 program, or in Gonzaga's case, not Power 5, but one of the best programs in the country?
There is more "undiscovered" talent overseas. That is the allure. JJ just doesn't seem to be very good at finding it and that happened to be Blaine's strength. Gonzaga wasn't exactly pining for Alex Loughton or Gerald Lee. Nobody was.

02-01-2020 10:19 PM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

No offense 96, but he got the rise from you he intends with most of his posts. And he's already said this will be the first-year he doesn't go to a game.

Sent from my SM-J320V using CSNbbs mobile app
02-02-2020 08:58 AM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!
(02-02-2020 08:58 AM)bench jockey Wrote:  No offense 96, but he got the rise from you he intends with most of his posts. And he's already said this will be the first-year he doesn't go to a game.

You’re right - and I deleted them. They were rude.
02-02-2020 11:45 AM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

DJ, rude is a way of life around these boards. But I appreciate your action.

02-02-2020 11:48 AM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!
(02-02-2020 11:48 AM)bench jockey Wrote:  DJ, rude is a way of life around these boards. But I appreciate your action.

I appreciate you calling me out. And my apologies to Ever.
02-02-2020 01:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.