Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football Offseason
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
RE: Football Offseason
(01-26-2020 06:43 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  Agree, Polish Hammer. In fact, the gap between the handful of elite P5 and the rest of the P5 schools is growing. Examples - in the early football signing period 5 schools of the 130 signed a MAJORITY of the 5-star recruits - Ohio State, LSU, Clemson, Alabama and Georgia. Ohio State signed more from the "top 100" list than the remainder of the Big Ten COMBINED. The difference, in my opinion, between the top P5 teams and the bottom half of the P5 teams is greater than the difference between those P5 schools in the bottom half and the better G5 teams.
You’re right, with a school even like Penn State, they’re top 25 but realize they’re a level behind Ohio State and want to get to that point. Yet even that level is still a shade behind Bama/Clemson/LSU; yet scarily is several steps ahead of the rest of the BigTen. There’s too 5, then top 25 that can linger around and maybe spike with hopes of a chance, top 50 can get in and out and then the rest who take the table scraps and have zero shot of sustaining anything.
01-27-2020 11:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
College Football News ranked the performances of all 130 Division I football coaches this year - Sean Lewis comes is 4th! - https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/01/...ons-2019/6 - just ahead of Dabo Swinney.

On the other end of the list, Akron's Tom Arth ended up 128th best. It was hard for him to get lower than UMass' coach, who lost 11 games by 21 points or more, but UMass beat Akron and Walt Bell climbed up to 127th place
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2020 12:22 PM by Slinkin Street Flash.)
01-30-2020 12:13 PM
Proud pilot Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-30-2020 12:13 PM)Slinkin Street Flash Wrote:  College Football News ranked the performances of all 130 Division I football coaches this year - Sean Lewis comes is 4th! - https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/01/...ons-2019/6 - just ahead of Dabo Swinney.

On the other end of the list, Akron's Tom Arth ended up 128th best. It was hard for him to get lower than UMass' coach, who lost 11 games by 21 points or more, but UMass beat Akron and Walt Bell climbed up to 127th place
Does Coach Lewis get offered a new contract?
01-30-2020 03:51 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

Good question, and does Joel even waste his time knowing he’ll be a hot commodity and won’t be able to afford him?
01-30-2020 07:33 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-30-2020 07:33 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  Good question, and does Joel even waste his time knowing he’ll be a hot commodity and won’t be able to afford him?

He’s Kent’s version of Frankie Lindor only we can’t trade him for top prospects.
01-30-2020 08:16 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-27-2020 11:24 AM)Muskrat Wrote:  MACtOAMU, it depends on what a person considers "sustainable". The football and basketball behemoths and wanna-be behemoths will survive very well. What becomes of the rest of D I in basketball and FBS in football is anyone's guess. Lots of issues, not just transfer rules, make the status quo unsustainable for most schools in D I and FBS.

I agree it’s not just transfer rules but those rules probably make anything resembling our 2002 elite 8 team from happening again. We had a lot of luck go our way to put that team together but it’s hard to believe a few wouldn’t have transferred away before it ever gelled. Let’s face it the odds of Kent coming up with a 2002 basketball team, 2012 baseball team, Kilgore national championship, etc were never high but now they are probably zero. It’s not just football and basketball either. Our wrestling team has taken a few hits recently and I’ve seen MAC gymnastics teams lose key people. If the sport is on ESPN the athletes will move. Why do gymnastics in front of 300 at EMU when you can do it in front of 8000 at Florida and be on ESPN a few times. The TV money and coverage has a lot to do with this also.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2020 08:33 PM by burden.)
01-30-2020 08:32 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
(01-30-2020 08:16 PM)burden Wrote:  
(01-30-2020 07:33 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  Good question, and does Joel even waste his time knowing he’ll be a hot commodity and won’t be able to afford him?

He’s Kent’s version of Frankie Lindor only we can’t trade him for top prospects.

Yeah but Lindor can't pay the Indians a couple million to come play against his new team a few years down the road.
01-30-2020 09:02 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

And Lindor wouldn’t stiff us on his buyout and make us sue him either...
01-30-2020 09:25 PM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
I would just tell you guys in reference to Sean Lewis,

Enjoy him.
01-30-2020 09:44 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

I agree 100% Burden. I've posted as much several times over the last couple of years. Virtually EVERY change, whether intentional or not, over the last probably 35 years has been to the benefit of the huge college super-powers.
01-31-2020 07:05 AM
Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

I would hope that the AD is planning as if S-Lew were leaving after next season. If Kent State wins 8+ games next season, I'd assume he's gone. It sounds like a bad thing, but I'd enjoy the wins. It's a part of the D-I landscape now.

My hope for the program is 'normalization' where we don't get strings of 2-win seasons in a row. If I were AD and I assume I'm losing my coach next year, I'd start planning for the next coach, and possible start contacting the next S-Lew early, to get Kent State into their minds.
01-31-2020 08:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.