2020 Depth Chart
Bookmark and Share
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
RE: 2020 Depth Chart
(01-16-2020 03:03 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(01-16-2020 09:57 AM)olddawg Wrote:  
(01-15-2020 09:27 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  Obviously looking at the roster, the 2 inside LB spots are the thinnest position. 4 losses, I only see 5 guys returning, with no signed freshmen or transfer announced as of yet.

Our returning LBs who got rotational playing time this past season are literally thin, relatively speaking, for the position.

When you play a "spur", you're already sacrificing a bit of size for greater speed & versatility. Throw in Tucker-Dorsey (5'10"-213) and Azanama (5'11"-214) and that might be our smallest LB corp since the 70s. I know those two can play, but wouldn't mind a LB with size to come our way.

I would expect those two to gain 5-10 lbs in the offseason.

I would expect more like between 0-5 lbs. Anzama is listed at 5’11” and is headed into his rSr 5th yr. Tucker-Dorsey is listed at 5’10” and headed into his rJr yr. Both these guys, with shorter frames, have already been in the programs weight training for a # of years now. They’ve already done most of the good weight gain (ie muscle) that they’re going to do. Adding fat and/or sacrificing quickness & speed at the LB position does no good.
01-16-2020 09:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

Did I miss something?

When did we lose cj Jackson?
02-07-2020 06:35 AM
fishingduke12 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
(02-07-2020 06:35 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  Did I miss something?

Interesting, not on the roster page anymore but his twitter still says JMU rb.
02-07-2020 07:16 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-07-2020 06:35 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  Did I miss something?

I missed it too. Don't think it was mentioned by Madia.
02-07-2020 07:49 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

Latrele would be my starting RB, and he should have 15 to 20 carries a game. I know we have to spread the ball around a little, but I am more interested in winning football games and building team chemistry.
02-07-2020 09:40 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-07-2020 09:40 PM)Purple Wrote:  Latrele would be my starting RB, and he should have 15 to 20 carries a game. I know we have to spread the ball around a little, but I am more interested in winning football games and building team chemistry.

And you think starting a sophomore over a senior, first team all CAA player who was a 1000 yard rusher last season is a way to build team chemistry?

Latrele is really exciting to watch, and if he beats out two productive Sr. RBs he will start. Outside of injury, however, I don’t think that will happen. Latrele will get more carries next season, but start? Nope. Not yet.
02-08-2020 03:43 AM
JMUNation Offline
All American

Latrell is far too injury prone to play him like several on here have requested. The platoon system JMU uses works well. RBs don’t get injured as much and it keeps everyone engaged and happy. Team rushing production has been good as well.
02-08-2020 08:37 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(02-08-2020 03:43 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(02-07-2020 09:40 PM)Purple Wrote:  Latrele would be my starting RB, and he should have 15 to 20 carries a game. I know we have to spread the ball around a little, but I am more interested in winning football games and building team chemistry.

And you think starting a sophomore over a senior, first team all CAA player who was a 1000 yard rusher last season is a way to build team chemistry?

Latrele is really exciting to watch, and if he beats out two productive Sr. RBs he will start. Outside of injury, however, I don’t think that will happen. Latrele will get more carries next season, but start? Nope. Not yet.
Longhorn, my thoughts exactly but didn’t think the need to counter the same illogical posting for what seems like the 48th time. And again, I think this board keeps the 05-deadhorse smilie alive. 04-cheers
02-08-2020 09:15 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

I do.
02-08-2020 09:48 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

1200+ yd rusher.
Yep. All 3 will get their carries, as JMU is going to run the ball. A LOT.

Throw in Van Horse and Douglas, and JMU could have 5 backs that would start for most teams. Maybe why Jackson left. If 1 or 2 get injured (hope not), next man up.

Black will certainly take a redshirt.
02-08-2020 10:02 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

The second starting safety position will be interesting battle. Although listed as SPUR, I expect Que Reid to compete there. I thought he played well last year. He is just one of those guys who it feels like he has too much talent to not be on the field outside of special teams.
02-09-2020 12:15 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-08-2020 09:48 PM)Purple Wrote:  

I do.

You have a different idea of what team chemistry is than I do.
02-09-2020 12:18 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(02-09-2020 12:15 AM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  The second starting safety position will be interesting battle. Although listed as SPUR, I expect Que Reid to compete there. I thought he played well last year. He is just one of those guys who it feels like he has too much talent to not be on the field outside of special teams.

But you have Amos (1st team All CAA), Hampton (significant PT), Chukwuneke (a lot of PT), the UMass kid (who was starting for them).. Safety sounds pretty stacked.

Corner, not so much. Wonder if any of those guys could play corner?
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2020 03:26 AM by BDKJMU.)
02-09-2020 03:22 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(02-09-2020 12:18 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

I do.

Obviously, since I have to spell it out to you in very short words that you can understand, what I meant was I would make Latrele my feature back and the team chemistry that develops from that would be the team chemistry. Got it, so far? Other backs will still get some totes, but if I were Cig, I would be sure that Latrele gets the lion's share.

Why would you not start your best running back? Because another back has seniority? Seniority is worth a warm bucket of spit in college football. You start your best players. There isn't even a question about that.

Maybe Cig thinks Latrele is not such a good running back. He certainly sees him more than I do and much closer. Maybe Latrele's past injuries has something to do with it. All I am saying is that based on what I have seen from all of our backs in game action, Latrele is clearly the best we have. if Latrele is 100% healthy, he would be my starter and get 15 to 20 totes per game, not a handful in the fourth quarter. My opinion.
02-09-2020 11:57 AM
fishingduke12 Offline
All American

(02-09-2020 11:57 AM)Purple Wrote:  

I do.

Obviously, since I have to spell it out to you in very short words that you can understand, what I meant was I would make Latrele my feature back and the team chemistry that develops from that would be the team chemistry. Got it, so far? Other backs will still get some totes, but if I were Cig, I would be sure that Latrele gets the lion's share.

Why would you not start your best running back? Because another back has seniority? Seniority is worth a warm bucket of spit in college football. You start your best players. There isn't even a question about that.

Maybe Cig thinks Latrele is not such a good running back. He certainly sees him more than I do and much closer. Maybe Latrele's past injuries has something to do with it. All I am saying is that based on what I have seen from all of our backs in game action, Latrele is clearly the best we have. if Latrele is 100% healthy, he would be my starter and get 15 to 20 totes per game, not a handful in the fourth quarter. My opinion.

Or maybe Cig sees that he has two of the top rbs in FCS ahead of him so why run him into the ground? Next year, maybe more so than past years, i think we are going to need the RBs to be heavily involved in the passing game with the uncertainty at QB and WR. Hamilton and Percy are better suited to that in my opinion.

Palmer has shown that he is injury prone and bigger backs are more likely to have players going low on them which leads to more injuries. Another offseason in the weight room will help that but when you have 2 studs in front of him why risk it when you know you have at least another 2 years with him? Yes I think he should get more carries but there is now tape out there on him so the surprise aspect he brings into the game is no longer there. Next season will probably go similar to this year where no one back with get the majority of the carries until a tight game or the playoffs. All I can say is thankfully youre not the head coach
02-09-2020 03:54 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-09-2020 03:54 PM)fishingduke12 Wrote:  
(02-09-2020 11:57 AM)Purple Wrote:  
(02-08-2020 03:43 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  And you think starting a sophomore over a senior, first team all CAA player who was a 1000 yard rusher last season is a way to build team chemistry?

I do.

Or maybe Cig sees that he has two of the top rbs in FCS ahead of him so why run him into the ground? Next year, maybe more so than past years, i think we are going to need the RBs to be heavily involved in the passing game with the uncertainty at QB and WR. Hamilton and Percy are better suited to that in my opinion.

Palmer has shown that he is injury prone and bigger backs are more likely to have players going low on them which leads to more injuries. Another offseason in the weight room will help that but when you have 2 studs in front of him why risk it when you know you have at least another 2 years with him? Yes I think he should get more carries but there is now tape out there on him so the surprise aspect he brings into the game is no longer there. Next season will probably go similar to this year where no one back with get the majority of the carries until a tight game or the playoffs. All I can say is thankfully youre not the head coach

Amen.
02-09-2020 05:23 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse Seniority kept Barry Sanders on the bench two years, Carson Wentz on the bench three years and many other guys waited for their time to shine. If we had no options at that position and kept him sideline because of seniority it would be silly. But considering you have two very good RBs in front of him is a valid reason. Couple that with the fact Palmer doesn’t need to get banged up when he can be the stud the following two years says keep the rotation intact.05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2020 07:43 PM by Polish Hammer.)
02-09-2020 07:42 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

[quote='Polish Hammer' pid='16667160' dateline='1581295355']
05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse Seniority kept Barry Sanders on the bench two years, Carson Wentz on the bench three years and many other guys waited for their time to shine. If we had no options at that position and kept him sideline because of seniority it would be silly. But considering you have two very good RBs in front of him is a valid reason. Couple that with the fact Palmer doesn’t need to get banged up when he can be the stud the following two years says keep the rotation intact.05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse05-deadhorse:

Yup- Thurman Thomas had some skills
02-09-2020 08:35 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

I disagree with all of you. I say play your best players, which sounds familiar. Where have we heard that before? Oh, that's right, it's football doctrine!
02-09-2020 08:58 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

You guys realize that Purple will not give in, at all, ever, on anything. That's why he was aptly named Bulldog on the old boards. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2020 09:25 PM by olddawg.)
02-09-2020 09:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.