Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Elon
Bookmark and Share
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
Elon
So after our wire-to-wire victory on the road we return home for what should be an interesting home stand. We are 3-2 in conference which is right about where we should be or figured to be. Elon looked like an easy pick to start off 4-2, but Elon has been a tough out for everyone this season in conference (except for Hofstra). They are a resilient bunch and with their shooting can pose us some issues. This was a game I had down as an easy victory before conference play started, but this likely won't be an easy game. Need to win this one before the beat down on Saturday

Butler should be able to dominate this team, we will need Cam and our guards to help out. We should focus on driving at them and the basket and worry less about 3's. On the defensive side we need to play with some intensity and discipline. Elon will still shoot a bunch of 3's. We need to get out on the shooter quickly. We need to have self control and be able to move our feet when they try to attack. Gotta stay in front of them. This has been a struggle to do all season long. This will be particularly frustrating in this one.

Elon- 70
Drexel- 73
01-14-2020 07:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
RE: Elon
Elon's top six scorers all have made at least 16 threes (8/9ths per game) shooting them at least .363. They shoot twos poorly at .454, and the NCAA average is .500.

In addition to what you called a "beat down," you go to Northeastern and Hofstra. Therefore even if you win this to get to 4-2, you could be 4-5 halfway through.
01-15-2020 04:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dan10 Offline
Heisman

We are 7 point favorites tonight.

Yes evan, we realize how easy our front portion was, which is why it was critical to come through at 4-2 or 5-1 (if we intended on competing for a top 4 spot)
01-16-2020 07:21 AM
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

A meh first half followed by a great second half. Cam and Zach outscored Elon by themselves. No scoring depth to speak of, but when you win by 20+ I can't nitpick.
01-16-2020 09:17 PM
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

Great 2nd half performance for the Dragons tonight after failing to show up in the first half. This was the largest DI margin of victory in the Zach Spiker era. The last time that they beat a Division I opponent by 20 points? You have to go WAY BACK to Spiker's 4th game as head coach when Drexel won 83-62 at North Texas. Sam Green was the only current Dragon who played in that game and he played 1 minute.

The last time Drexel opened up CAA play 4-2? 1/14/12 at the start of the 19 game winning streak, after Drexel lost their 1st 2 conference games.

Tonight, 3 players, Wynter, Walton, and Butler, scored 58 of Drexel's 63 points.

The 41 points surrendered tonight are the fewest in the Spiker Era tying 41 given up against Bryn Athyn last year. It's the fewest points Drexel has given up since a 59-36 win over Southern Mississippi at the DAC on 11/30/14.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2020 10:08 PM by J.B..)
01-16-2020 10:02 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
Elon shot threes 4-24 and shot free throws 1-4. They became the fifth* team from 2010-2011 to the present to score 41 or fewer, make 1/6th or fewer of their threes, attempt at least 24 threes, and make 1/4th or fewer of the free throws. I tweeted about Riller's triple-double and now I'm going to tweet about that at twitter.com/EvanJ3535

* By "fifth" I'm excluding two non-Division I teams who did that at Division I teams.
01-16-2020 10:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Our 3 point defense has been fine, so not surprised they struggled from 3. I am glad we pulled away from a team. That is not something we have seen from a Spiker team. Elon is still not a good team, and I am shocked at how they hung with some of the best this conference has to offer this season. I think they will continue to be up and down, lose most of their games, but get hot enough some nights to scare or pull an upset. This was a critical win for the season.

4-2 is a nice start and something to build off of. The schedule really strengthens from here. We have beaten the bottom teams, which makes us a mid-tier squad, but the road is only going to get harder. As painful as it is to say at this juncture, I thought 9-9 was realistic for this team. I think it will be very difficult to get there, despite being 4-2.
01-17-2020 07:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.