Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Next few basketball games
Bookmark and Share
Springboromark Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Next few basketball games
Next few games will be a telling point how the rest of the season will go, I believe. If it doesn't go very well, I am worry this going to be very long season, possibly a 500 type of season.
01-06-2020 10:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rocket75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Next few basketball games
Once it became certain that both Edu and Acunzo would not play this year, the likelihood of a championship season went down the drain. Edu was last year's top recruit and Acunzo is this year's top guy. A basketball team has too few guys to absorb this type of loss. I have season tickets and just go to games looking for a fun time. I hope the younger guys develop and the seniors enjoy their likely last hurrah.
No reason to get too upset. Stuff like this happens and you just move on.
01-06-2020 10:38 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(01-06-2020 10:38 AM)Rocket75 Wrote:  Once it became certain that both Edu and Acunzo would not play this year, the likelihood of a championship season went down the drain. Edu was last year's top recruit and Acunzo is this year's top guy. A basketball team has too few guys to absorb this type of loss. I have season tickets and just go to games looking for a fun time. I hope the younger guys develop and the seniors enjoy their likely last hurrah.
No reason to get too upset. Stuff like this happens and you just move on.

You make a decent point, but still without those guys we were 15 points better in November than currently... 01-wingedeagle

What's the difference? Why are we not getting open looks? Or why aren't we making them? Are we not turning it over a bit too frequently?

Do we not have the best facilities in the league? For about 12 years now we have and yet just two sniffs at a title game... Sometimes bad years happen, but when will a good one happen for us?!03-hissyfit

All hope is not lost. But it's a fact we don't have anyone who can take over a game like German of NIU. Hopefully it's not a team with one stud who takes us out, because usually that's been OUR way to get through Cleveland and better TEAMS have bested that philosophy. Can we be that team?
01-06-2020 11:40 AM
Advertisement

Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

Let's not get too carried away just yet! Team started 0-2 last year in the league with a home loss to Ball State and a road loss to Buffalo but recovered to finish as second seed at 13-5. I'm not saying that it is going to happen again this year with the current team that obviously lacks depth, but I think we have a core group of 7 players (5 starters, Saunders and Smith) that are capable winning on most nights that we play to our potential. While winning the regular season seems like a "stretch", we should strive to finish in the Top 4 to get a bye to Cleveland and only have to win 3 games instead of 4. With that said, we will need our Big Three of Knapke, M Jackson, and W Jackson to carry us!
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020 03:04 PM by Basketball Jones.)
01-06-2020 02:53 PM
Rocket75 Offline
1st String

I would estimate that Edu and Acunzo would get us 15 points and 10 rebounds a game between them. Instead we have Smith and Maranka getting maybe 6 points and 5 rebounds. That is the difference between a middle of the road MAC team and a championship team. The good news is we only lose Willie and Luke. Edu will have 3 more years and Acunzo 4. The future looks bright.
01-06-2020 03:40 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(01-06-2020 03:40 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  I would estimate that Edu and Acunzo would get us 15 points and 10 rebounds a game between them. Instead we have Smith and Maranka getting maybe 6 points and 5 rebounds. That is the difference between a middle of the road MAC team and a championship team. The good news is we only lose Willie and Luke. Edu will have 3 more years and Acunzo 4. The future looks bright.

I don't doubt that. Didn't Edu lead the league in blocks last season? I know he averaged almost 2 per game in very limited minutes.

Maranka has a nice frame and even a few breather minutes for Knapke is good for the future of our program. It's more frustrating to see how hot and cold and ineffective Knapke is inside. He should be a dead ringer for 20points, 10 rebounds a game. How do you get stripped on every entry pass?
01-06-2020 04:59 PM
Party on the hill Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-06-2020 04:59 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(01-06-2020 03:40 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  I would estimate that Edu and Acunzo would get us 15 points and 10 rebounds a game between them. Instead we have Smith and Maranka getting maybe 6 points and 5 rebounds. That is the difference between a middle of the road MAC team and a championship team. The good news is we only lose Willie and Luke. Edu will have 3 more years and Acunzo 4. The future looks bright.

I don't doubt that. Didn't Edu lead the league in blocks last season? I know he averaged almost 2 per game in very limited minutes.

Maranka has a nice frame and even a few breather minutes for Knapke is good for the future of our program. It's more frustrating to see how hot and cold and ineffective Knapke is inside. He should be a dead ringer for 20points, 10 rebounds a game. How do you get stripped on every entry pass?

Small Hands!
01-06-2020 06:42 PM
Advertisement

Party on the hill Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-06-2020 06:42 PM)Party on the hill Wrote:  

Small Hands!

We should also be hitting 80% or better from the free throw line, but we are not!
01-06-2020 06:44 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(01-06-2020 06:42 PM)Party on the hill Wrote:  

Small Hands!

I really thought that Knapke would have that breakout senior year, but it seems he is somewhat regressing in his play around the rim... The young man is 6-11 245 lbs. and should be a dominant force in most cases...
Outside of a very smooth stroke from the perimeter, his game just needed to be amped up in and around the paint as a finisher...
A real shame, because he has potential, probably for overseas, but definitely not the NBA which I once thought he might have had a shot at...
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2020 10:13 PM by FMRocket.)
01-07-2020 10:09 PM
Advertisement

Springboromark Offline
All American

bench help ?

Donovan Moore, Earned Detroit Free Press and Associated Press honorable-mention all-state honors…Received first-team OAA Red Division all-conference accolades. No minutes last night, is he still on the team ? is he hurt ?

Blake Williams, G, I assume he is a walk on ? no playing time.

T. J . Williams , A 2018 graduate of DeSales High School and Aspire Academy, a national high school program located in Louisville, Ky...Averaged 14 points, seven rebounds and nearly three assists at Wesley Christian High School (Allen, Ky.) as junior in 2016-17 campaign. Although he did have 10 mins of playing time last night, zilch points.
01-08-2020 11:50 AM
Rocket A Offline
Heisman

(01-08-2020 11:50 AM)Springboromark Wrote:  bench help ?

Donovan Moore, Earned Detroit Free Press and Associated Press honorable-mention all-state honors…Received first-team OAA Red Division all-conference accolades. No minutes last night, is he still on the team ? is he hurt ?

Blake Williams, G, I assume he is a walk on ? no playing time.

T. J . Williams , A 2018 graduate of DeSales High School and Aspire Academy, a national high school program located in Louisville, Ky...Averaged 14 points, seven rebounds and nearly three assists at Wesley Christian High School (Allen, Ky.) as junior in 2016-17 campaign. Although he did have 10 mins of playing time last night, zilch points.

Scoring isn't there yet, but thought TJ Smith played solid defense last night.
01-08-2020 02:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.