Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

KSU @ Miss. State
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: KSU @ Miss. State
(12-31-2019 01:13 AM)GFlash68 Wrote:  OK, I guess I over reacted again. I just get too emotional and I always start out thinking that we are better than we really are.

Same here. I think we are victims of paying to much attention to non conference games. They really are different. The real tests begin now.
12-31-2019 08:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Muskrat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
I too had thought (hoped?) that Kent State basketball was above that kind of loss, especially to an unranked team. I suppose the success of the Waters through Ford years still hasn't been cleansed from my system. I'm NOT criticizing Senderoff and I know what obstacles he has to deal with, but for me it just hasn't seemed the same since Ford left. Senderoff's teams have averaged 2 games above .500 in regular season MAC games. I know that's not bad at all and lots of programs would envy that I know that he has not had a losing season, overall or in regular season MAC competition, and that lots of programs can't say that, either. Still, I don't know. Again, I'm not criticizing Senderoff or anyone else. Maybe I'm just spoiled?
12-31-2019 08:58 AM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(12-31-2019 08:58 AM)Muskrat Wrote:  I too had thought (hoped?) that Kent State basketball was above that kind of loss, especially to an unranked team. I suppose the success of the Waters through Ford years still hasn't been cleansed from my system. I'm NOT criticizing Senderoff and I know what obstacles he has to deal with, but for me it just hasn't seemed the same since Ford left. Senderoff's teams have averaged 2 games above .500 in regular season MAC games. I know that's not bad at all and lots of programs would envy that I know that he has not had a losing season, overall or in regular season MAC competition, and that lots of programs can't say that, either. Still, I don't know. Again, I'm not criticizing Senderoff or anyone else. Maybe I'm just spoiled?

Individually speaking, this 'team' still has me puzzled, too. But I'm not going to ??? Senderoff considering this is one of the few seasons he has not pulled off a solid non-conference upset. Remember, last season their were two (Vanderbilt, Oregon State).

That's why losing to MSU by such a margin is a red flag to me. As you note, Senderoff has not had a truly bad season so I would put this more on the players than the coach.

What happens going forward will be the challenge ...

Finally ... as someone pointed out to me recently ... when it comes to playing together this is really a 'young' team even with so many seniors. So team is still a "chemistry" mystery even to themselves.

No panic yet, but the candle is burning.
12-31-2019 09:47 AM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

"Chemistry" is a major issue all over in college basketball, what with movement to and from other teams being so prevalent, more so than I can remember ever being the case. Currently 40% of the players leave their initial school before their 3rd season. As I said, I'm NOT complaining about Senderoff. Actually he seems to do a really good job putting together decent teams despite all the player movement. I suppose I'm just concerned about a loss like last night's, especially to an unranked team.
12-31-2019 10:28 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-31-2019 08:58 AM)Muskrat Wrote:  I too had thought (hoped?) that Kent State basketball was above that kind of loss, especially to an unranked team. I suppose the success of the Waters through Ford years still hasn't been cleansed from my system. I'm NOT criticizing Senderoff and I know what obstacles he has to deal with, but for me it just hasn't seemed the same since Ford left. Senderoff's teams have averaged 2 games above .500 in regular season MAC games. I know that's not bad at all and lots of programs would envy that I know that he has not had a losing season, overall or in regular season MAC competition, and that lots of programs can't say that, either. Still, I don't know. Again, I'm not criticizing Senderoff or anyone else. Maybe I'm just spoiled?

It’s not Senderoff it’s the system. All the player movement took away one of the only advantages mid majors had. The big boys lose players but they easily replace them with the next crop of one and dones. They supplement that by getting their role players from the mid majors (by then proven players and not risky high school seniors). We are basically a AAA minor league team. Waters etc didn’t lose players that way (until he went to CSU and we know how that ended). In today’s system John Edwards would have never played at Kent his senior year. Probably the same for Antonio Gates.

The only drama every year is how we will do against our brethren in the MAC. That’s probably a better measurement of Senderoff’s coaching. Let’s face it most of the non-conference games are decided once the schedule comes out.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2019 11:40 AM by burden.)
12-31-2019 11:18 AM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

Watched entire game. It was a dud except for first 15 min. I thought we became very discouraged and down after technicals and foul disparity. Very little team play
Hopefully, we can pull it together by Friday. Otherwise we are staring at 0-2 start in MAC at best
BTW announced official attendance was over 6000 , what a joke. Possibly sold tickets. The fans were at or watching football bowl game. Poor timing.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2019 12:39 PM by Older and Older.)
12-31-2019 12:37 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

(12-31-2019 11:18 AM)burden Wrote:  

It’s not Senderoff it’s the system. All the player movement took away one of the only advantages mid majors had. The big boys lose players but they easily replace them with the next crop of one and dones. They supplement that by getting their role players from the mid majors (by then proven players and not risky high school seniors). We are basically a AAA minor league team. Waters etc didn’t lose players that way (until he went to CSU and we know how that ended). In today’s system John Edwards would have never played at Kent his senior year. Probably the same for Antonio Gates.

The only drama every year is how we will do against our brethren in the MAC. That’s probably a better measurement of Senderoff’s coaching. Let’s face it most of the non-conference games are decided once the schedule comes out.

I agree with this 110%. In fact, this “system”, more than hype guys, removing student sections and the like, is the reason why I don’t even realize It’s game day half the time. Makes me pause and appreciate Peterson.
12-31-2019 01:27 PM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

Latest Mid-Major top 25 had Kent #11 , one point behind BYU for #10
BG #19. Buffalo #23.
Akron Toledo just out of top 25
Poll dated 12/30.
For what it’s worth.?
12-31-2019 03:00 PM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
Just looked this stat up:

In our two games against P5 opponents on the road, Kent State was outshot at the free throw line, 68 to 23.

OSU took 30 attempts to our 7 and MSU took 38 to our 16.

The total difference in points coming at the line in the two games combined was 35 points, 51-16.
12-31-2019 03:19 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-31-2019 03:19 PM)JimJoyce Wrote:  Just looked this stat up:

In our two games against P5 opponents on the road, Kent State was outshot at the free throw line, 68 to 23.

OSU took 30 attempts to our 7 and MSU took 38 to our 16.

The total difference in points coming at the line in the two games combined was 35 points, 51-16.

I’m afraid that’s because they are better than us. They get to the basket with ease. I wonder if we can even recruit a guy like Q to protect the lane anymore.
12-31-2019 03:34 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

Agree, Burden. I remember some coach, I can't remember who, in 2002 saying that Kent State had an "advantage" because so many players had been there and played together so long. He said that his team had better players but Kent State had that "advantage". He was complaining almost like Kent State was somehow "cheating" or at least being somewhat unfair. We don't see that as much anymore at most schools. That's just the times we live in. That's just the way it is.
12-31-2019 04:23 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

(12-31-2019 04:23 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  That's just the way it is.

Things will never be the same
12-31-2019 07:05 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
My two cents is we're not nearly as bad as we looked last night and we're probably not as good as the 8-1 start indicated. We got a little lucky in the Towson and Wright State wins but we also showed mental toughness in those games. I feel like we're about where we are most years heading into MAC play. You can see the upside is there. We have some questions and now the real season starts.

As others have suggested on here in today's game most of the MAC teams are pretty comparable in terms of talent it's just a matter of who gels best. I think we have a really good top 5 of Williams, Roberts, Simons, Pippen, and Whittington so I'm very optimistic going forward. With that said we all know there's no more sure things on the schedule the rest of the way. I'm sure we'll have a couple "how the **** did we lose that game?!" moments as well as some games we come away looking like a final 4 team.
12-31-2019 07:07 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

What I wouldn’t give for mike mucha to get us fired up with a few emojis
12-31-2019 09:30 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
The chemistry of this team is what I really like. I watched them practice and they like each other. They make the extra pass if someone is open. In the first 16 Min last night they looked really good. It’s what I expected. Then an athletically superior team woke up and beat us up. It happens. If the team we saw for 30 min against OSU shows up, they will win a lot of MAC games.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2020 11:08 PM by dannyb73.)
01-01-2020 12:01 AM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

(12-31-2019 08:02 AM)burden Wrote:  
(12-31-2019 07:56 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  I assume the truth lies somewhere between an early lead and an embarrassment of a performance. Technical fouls, cry babying and being disqualified don’t lend themselves to wins at Buffalo, Athens, James Arthur Rhodes, and the” Q”

Well at least you have a better record for picking winners than Danny.

Someone ran a pick the winners contest last year or the year before and I vaguely remember winning.
01-01-2020 11:10 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

No doubt about that dannyb!!

On another note,Did you go to the cotton bowl?
01-02-2020 09:11 AM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

(01-02-2020 09:11 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  No doubt about that dannyb!!

On another note,Did you go to the cotton bowl?

I didn't. The Cotton Bowl was on Saturday in Dallas and Sunday my son and I left Memphis for Starkville so we could hit practice. Too much driving.
01-02-2020 01:52 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-01-2020 11:10 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  
(12-31-2019 08:02 AM)burden Wrote:  
(12-31-2019 07:56 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  I assume the truth lies somewhere between an early lead and an embarrassment of a performance. Technical fouls, cry babying and being disqualified don’t lend themselves to wins at Buffalo, Athens, James Arthur Rhodes, and the” Q”

Well at least you have a better record for picking winners than Danny.

Someone ran a pick the winners contest last year or the year before and I vaguely remember winning.

Never pick your favorite team. Those rose colored glasses get in the way.
01-02-2020 03:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.