Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fire McGrath - Official Thread
Bookmark and Share
Proff Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Fire McGrath - Official Thread
(12-30-2019 10:38 AM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  I believe what Proff meant was another source within the university. With all the campus expansion going on, any source like that may be dried up for now.
Correct.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
12-30-2019 12:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
I took some time to look back at posts from our last hire. McGrath was definitely last on the list and for most here it wasn't even close. Multiple factors equaled that sentiment, but so far it has, unfortunately, played out as expected. Never a head coach, never top assistant under Williams, UNC protege which means never delaing with players who are less than 3 star, no experience with running a press to fit our roster

As of right now our worst case concerns have come true. He is going to have to pull a rabbit out of his hat to turn this around and keep his job. I also realized I was very supportive of the hire in the beginning despite the fact my sentiments turned quickly when I saw his inability/refusal to adjust his game plan to win.
12-30-2019 12:48 PM
getmhawks Offline
2nd String

[/quote]

Funny you used the word system

Hiring Siddle would have been a risk, but at least we would have maintained our system and been able to build off a foundation as opposed to abandoning what was working
[/quote]

This was exactly my thoughts from the get go. A VCU model. You don't have to hire from within but you better keep your identity as a program with the next hire.
12-30-2019 03:52 PM
getmhawks Offline
2nd String

(12-30-2019 09:56 AM)Gary Miller Wrote:  
(12-30-2019 09:45 AM)Proff Wrote:  
(12-29-2019 10:39 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  https://www.starnewsonline.com/article/N...5030167/WM

Can someone explain how we made it work to payout Buzz's contract, but now we can't do it for McGrath if Jimmy deemed it necessary. I don't know anything about what goes into it but the article above makes it seem possible as it states we owed Buzz nearly 900k.
From what I understand (and I could be misinformed), the chancellor arranged for some manner of "loan" from another university source to pay buzz off. If so, I would think a second "trip to the same well" might not be likely. But who knows -

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gotcha, now that makes sense. My guess would be that it's going to have to get really bad for them to go to that well after this season. I sure hope we're competitive for 40 minutes tonight against Drexel.

Keep in mind it's a lot easier to go and ask for this sort of financial help when the mess preceded you. Both the Chancellor and AD who were around for the Buzz hiring debacle were canned before they structured the buyout of Buzz. It will take a lot more humility for them to ask for that sort of bail out this time.

$600k is a lot of money for us. Maybe that flosports deal can help us out after all? I think we are riding this out at least another year. I would imagine even the diehards on this board will be watching from a far if we can't show a change in trajectory by the second half of the CAA schedule this year.
12-30-2019 04:02 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America

Funny you used the word system

Hiring Siddle would have been a risk, but at least we would have maintained our system and been able to build off a foundation as opposed to abandoning what was working
[/quote]

This was exactly my thoughts from the get go. A VCU model. You don't have to hire from within but you better keep your identity as a program with the next hire.
[/quote]

Neither of y’all are wrong here. I would never argue against keeping the system. My only disagreement is when people are adamant that Siddle would have been more successful. There’s zero proof of that. Hell, we only assume he would have utilized the same system. We don’t know that for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
12-30-2019 04:03 PM
getmhawks Offline
2nd String

I hear you. I just personally would have liked the hire at that point in time better. We don't know what he would have done but I do believe we'd have had less turnover in players/recruits and a familiar system. Water under the bridge now.
12-30-2019 04:09 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

My two-fold question...

For those who had Siddle as their #1 option in ‘17...

Would you want the AD (whether it is Bass or someone else in the future) to reach out to him and gauge interest, and if you think he’d be interested in the job... make the hire?

Just curious as to your thoughts.

12-30-2019 04:14 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-30-2019 04:14 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  My two-fold question...

Would you want the AD (whether it is Bass or someone else in the future) to reach out to him and gauge interest, and if you think he’d be interested in the job... make the hire?

At this point i think that would be risky. It would have been one thing to allow a fresh face with minimal experience to continue to build off a previously laid foundation.

We will be in complete rebuilding mode next year so we will need someone like Keatts who had a little bit of cache and a reputation as a good recruiter
12-30-2019 04:20 PM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks

Yes, they should absolutely contact him. He’d bring back former players/coaches to work on his staff too. It’s my understanding that he’s been the main recruiter at state which currently has a top 10 class. He’s worked for some impressive coaches other than Keatts too. He checks all the boxes.
12-30-2019 04:26 PM
Uncw3 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Uncw
Refresh my memory on Benny Moss. Didn't he get reassigned to another position within the athletic department to keep from having to fire him and buyout his remaining contract? Reassign McGrath and promote another assistant to run the team the rest of the season. Let that be a trial if the assistant would even be considered for hire without having to pay anyone extra money. It may shame McGrath into quiting and no buyout needed.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2019 04:40 PM by Uncw3.)
12-30-2019 04:39 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(12-30-2019 04:09 PM)getmhawks Wrote:  I hear you. I just personally would have liked the hire at that point in time better. We don't know what he would have done but I do believe we'd have had less turnover in players/recruits and a familiar system. Water under the bridge now.

Agree
12-30-2019 04:58 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(12-30-2019 04:39 PM)Uncw3 Wrote:  Refresh my memory on Benny Moss. Didn't he get reassigned to another position within the athletic department to keep from having to fire him and buyout his remaining contract? Reassign McGrath and promote another assistant to run the team the rest of the season. Let that be a trial if the assistant would even be considered for hire without having to pay anyone extra money. It may shame McGrath into quiting and no buyout needed.

That’s a thought.

I’d imagine there’s possibility for some contract language in there that may make that difficult to do, but who knows?

12-30-2019 05:11 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

(12-30-2019 05:11 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(12-30-2019 04:39 PM)Uncw3 Wrote:  Refresh my memory on Benny Moss. Didn't he get reassigned to another position within the athletic department to keep from having to fire him and buyout his remaining contract? Reassign McGrath and promote another assistant to run the team the rest of the season. Let that be a trial if the assistant would even be considered for hire without having to pay anyone extra money. It may shame McGrath into quiting and no buyout needed.

That’s a thought.

I’d imagine there’s possibility for some contract language in there that may make that difficult to do, but who knows?

Oh, hell no. As bad as it was, the reassignment of Moss was the beginning of a total snafu. Players went through the motions on the court and a number of them quit in the classroom. Which led to our APR issues, with NCAA penalties, including being stripped of at least one scholarship.
12-30-2019 05:23 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

Even if you made McGrath the assistant, his pay would stay the same and so would his contract. His contract would only be offset if he took another job somewhere.

Thinking about Siddle, I don't think there is any chance he'd come back. He wanted at least an opportunity to interview for the job badly, and was completely shut out(and yes, he was going to keep the same system. That's a fact). Not to mention, he makes as much as an assistant as we'd pay for HC. He'd be smart to bank some money right now, get himself and his family financially set, then go for a head coaching gig.
12-30-2019 06:01 PM
Uncw3 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Uncw
(12-30-2019 05:23 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  

That’s a thought.

Oh, hell no. As bad as it was, the reassignment of Moss was the beginning of a total snafu. Players went through the motions on the court and a number of them quit in the classroom. Which led to our APR issues, with NCAA penalties, including being stripped of at least one scholarship.

I see your point, but Moss recruited players that were athletic and didn't care about their grades. Our current players seem to be better suited in the classroom. It's not a perfect plan, but would at least be worth looking into. Doesn't cost the university any more money until you promote one to head coach permanently or fire McGrath. As it stands right now, Estime and Gadsden could medical redshirt and transfer I believe. We only have 1 recruit next year so you're not losing a lot of players unless everyone wants to transfer out. Just an option.
12-30-2019 07:14 PM
getmhawks Offline
2nd String

(12-30-2019 04:20 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

At this point i think that would be risky. It would have been one thing to allow a fresh face with minimal experience to continue to build off a previously laid foundation.

We will be in complete rebuilding mode next year so we will need someone like Keatts who had a little bit of cache and a reputation as a good recruiter

Yep. Would be much more risky now. I’m not saying I wouldn’t be for giving him a look but there was a clear path paved for him when Keatts left.
12-30-2019 08:00 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

(12-30-2019 07:14 PM)Uncw3 Wrote:  

That’s a thought.

I see your point, but Moss recruited players that were athletic and didn't care about their grades. Our current players seem to be better suited in the classroom. It's not a perfect plan, but would at least be worth looking into. Doesn't cost the university any more money until you promote one to head coach permanently or fire McGrath. As it stands right now, Estime and Gadsden could medical redshirt and transfer I believe. We only have 1 recruit next year so you're not losing a lot of players unless everyone wants to transfer out. Just an option.

No sir, not true. Moss's teams had very good APRs. As a matter of fact, I think his second year, they set a team record GPA average. Grade issues didn't happen until Moss was releaved of his coaching duties.
12-30-2019 08:04 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

(12-30-2019 08:04 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  
(12-30-2019 07:14 PM)Uncw3 Wrote:  

That’s a thought.

No sir, not true. Moss's teams had very good APRs. As a matter of fact, I think his second year, they set a team record GPA average. Grade issues didn't happen until Moss was releaved of his coaching duties.

And firing McGrath doesn't keep him from being paid. I would like to see how Burke would do in charge, but not at the expense of losing the team all together.
12-30-2019 08:08 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

For what it’s worth...

Here’s the reasons I don’t think APR would be as much an issue or could be limited.

1. That duty falls on the interim HC and assistants. They should be held accountable for the success on and off the court in the interim.

2. The transfer portal didn’t exist back then, thus the new portal makes it easier for students to transfer. With that, players will be more self-aware of what their transfer requirements are. Again, it’s also on the coaching staff to remind them of that.

Surely, the AD’s staff should also have a meeting with players if such a move were made to remind them of such things. Having a younger team with more collegiate basketball ahead of them would work in our favor there. If we were loaded with a bunch of seniors I could foresee more problems.

12-30-2019 08:45 PM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks
McGrath is 5-20 in his last 25 games against D1 opponents...
12-30-2019 09:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.