Godwin transfers
Prideofalion Online
1st String

I Root For: ODU
RE: Godwin transfers
(12-23-2019 09:18 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(12-22-2019 06:05 PM)Prideofalion Wrote:  
(12-22-2019 05:58 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(12-20-2019 09:15 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Not too different than this. I would be fine if we found a great coach. I think we have a solid, too 100 program. I think Jones is not the best coach but a really good one for our level. We have a better shot at hiring a worse coach than a better coach than him if we were hiring. If that means leas than optimal offense and good defense/slow tempo....so be it.

We have one of the best coaches/programs in the conference.....maybe the best. Sometimes you fall in love with the “backup QB”.

if that was the case, we would have certainly been to more than 1 NCAA tournament under his tenure. Rose colored glasses again..... Facts speak otherwise.

How many of those other coaches played in a 14 team league spread over the entire country? With no rivals in conference. Are those not facts? Just your facts matter I guess....Ok just checking. U just choose not to acknowledge that this is Mickey Mouse land we now play in?

How many of them had the constant center and a practice facility on campus?

Ok then.

Blaine coached his entire career in the constant center. Other than the first year and we sucked that year. It helps a lot. It’s a great venue. Blaine is my favorite ODU coach. His teams were the best we’ve had. I’m not disputing that. Maybe other people are. But he didn’t coach in Mickey Mouse land either. Nobody is rushing to our nice facility to see Rice play. Spin it all u want. It’s a FACT. Our practice facility doesn’t make up for us playing in front of no fans in the conference tournament or in San Antonio or freaking El Paso or Southern Miss or who gives a crap. To say none of that matters and is offset by a practice facility is delusional.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2019 10:44 AM by Prideofalion.)
12-24-2019 10:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(12-23-2019 01:06 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  No, I just have a lot more experience regarding ODU basketball to draw from than you do. I've seen the program go through low points such as we are currently witnessing only to rise back up to a level of high success. What is acceptable to you isn't so acceptable to those of us who have been through better - a lot better. We don't settle for status quo just because of your "times have changed" mindset, nor do we buy into your arguments supporting that stance.

Couldn't have been said any better!
12-24-2019 11:08 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-23-2019 09:58 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(12-23-2019 12:52 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Someone is stuck in a different decade.
Wtf happened between last decade and this decade that made it impossible for us to compete with a bunch of teams that used to be our peers like VCU, Wichita State, Utah State and Butler, and lose ground to programs like W&M, Richmond, and Liberty. I can think of one thing that certainly changed... The coach.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

VCU, Wichita State, Butler....conference. (and they've were already better than us)

Utah State has consistently been better than us for 25 years. I don't know much about them to know why.
12-24-2019 06:42 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-24-2019 10:31 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(12-23-2019 09:28 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(12-23-2019 12:39 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(12-22-2019 09:27 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(12-22-2019 04:46 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  Sonny Allen
Paul Webb
Tom Young
Oliver Pernell
Jeff Capel
Blaine Taylor

Judging by ODU's head coaches over the past 50 years I would say that the odds are in their favor that they would hire a better coach. The ones in bold above were surely better, and Jeff Capel may have been as well. Collectively these coaches covered pretty much every kind of tempo you could imagine playing today.

The first two are from a completely different era.

Jeff Capel has nowhere near the results at ODU as Jones.

Sonny Allen won a national championship while coaching ODU basketball. More than one of the players he recruited at ODU now have their jerseys retired.. Some of ODU's best players ever played for Sonny Allen.

Paul Webb took ODU into Division 1 and was conference mates with the likes of Georgetown, Syracuse, VCU, WKU, UAB, and JMU (when they were REALLY good) during his time at ODU. Several of his teams competed in the Sun Belt - a conference that ROUTINELY got multiple bids even when the NCAA Tournament was limited to 48 teams. UAB advanced to the Elite 8 in '82, VCU received its lowest seed ever (#2 in the West) in '85, in '86 (4 teams - Jacksonville, ODU, UAB, and WKU) all made the NCAA Tournament from the Sun Belt. Yes, I totally agree that it was a VERY different era than what we are witnessing today for ODU. It was a much higher level of talent on the court for ODU as well as for the conference opponents.

Someone help Giles pick up his face please.

And the caa had multiple final 4 teams in it and was a multi bid league

Jones can’t even win a crap league filled with crap teams with the best joke court and recruiting advantages in the league.

There’s no excuse.

Exactly...Giles has on Rose colored glasses all the time and facts speak for themselves. After all many saw BW flaws way before the house of cards fell. We should have never been in this position had some people not been asleep at the wheel. Anyone with any knowledge of competitive sports could see the issue with football years ago and could have seen this with basketball as well.

I was posting facts above.

In terms of Jones, I'd love to have a better coach. Do I think its likely to happen....50/50 at best. I'm not sure another coach could come in and take this school higher than what we've seen...consistently the best CUSA school with a chance at tourney bid. If there is someone out there, I'm all for it.
12-24-2019 06:44 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-23-2019 01:06 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

No, I just have a lot more experience regarding ODU basketball to draw from than you do. I've seen the program go through low points such as we are currently witnessing only to rise back up to a level of high success. What is acceptable to you isn't so acceptable to those of us who have been through better - a lot better. We don't settle for status quo just because of your "times have changed" mindset, nor do we buy into your arguments supporting that stance.

LOL, I've been an ODU fan for 40 years. I've supported the team in good times and in 5 and 25 seasons. The landscape in college basketball makes it very unlikely that we can be a consistent top 50 program. Unless we are able to switch conferences.
12-24-2019 06:48 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(12-24-2019 06:42 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
Wtf happened between last decade and this decade that made it impossible for us to compete with a bunch of teams that used to be our peers like VCU, Wichita State, Utah State and Butler, and lose ground to programs like W&M, Richmond, and Liberty. I can think of one thing that certainly changed... The coach.

VCU, Wichita State, Butler....conference. (and they've were already better than us)

Utah State has consistently been better than us for 25 years. I don't know much about them to know why.
Just not true. We were on par with all of them except maybe Butler. They made good choices and Wood made bad choices, and here we are. I am beginning to wonder if you were around during the BT days, because your recollection of that period does not align with those of us who were around back then very often.

12-24-2019 07:44 PM
PhillyFlorz Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-22-2019 04:46 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(12-20-2019 09:15 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I would be fine if we found a great coach. I think we have a solid, too 100 program. I think Jones is not the best coach but a really good one for our level. We have a better shot at hiring a worse coach than a better coach than him if we were hiring. If that means leas than optimal offense and good defense/slow tempo....so be it.

We have one of the best coaches/programs in the conference.....maybe the best. Sometimes you fall in love with the “backup QB”.

Sonny Allen
Paul Webb
Tom Young
Oliver Pernell
Jeff Capel
Blaine Taylor

Judging by ODU's head coaches over the past 50 years I would say that the odds are in their favor that they would hire a better coach. The ones in bold above were surely better, and Jeff Capel may have been as well. Collectively these coaches covered pretty much every kind of tempo you could imagine playing today.

Sonny Allen won a national championship while coaching ODU basketball. More than one of the players he recruited at ODU now have their jerseys retired.. Some of ODU's best players ever played for Sonny Allen.

Paul Webb took ODU into Division 1 and was conference mates with the likes of Georgetown, Syracuse, VCU, WKU, UAB, and JMU (when they were REALLY good) during his time at ODU. Several of his teams competed in the Sun Belt - a conference that ROUTINELY got multiple bids even when the NCAA Tournament was limited to 48 teams. UAB advanced to the Elite 8 in '82, VCU received its lowest seed ever (#2 in the West) in '85, in '86 (4 teams - Jacksonville, ODU, UAB, and WKU) all made the NCAA Tournament from the Sun Belt. Yes, I totally agree that it was a VERY different era than what we are witnessing today for ODU. It was a much higher level of talent on the court for ODU as well as for the conference opponents.

Jones can’t even win a crap league filled with crap teams with the best joke court and recruiting advantages in the league.

There’s no excuse.
I think he won the regular season and conference tournament of this crap league eight months ago?
12-24-2019 08:15 PM
PhillyFlorz Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-22-2019 04:46 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(12-20-2019 09:15 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I would be fine if we found a great coach. I think we have a solid, too 100 program. I think Jones is not the best coach but a really good one for our level. We have a better shot at hiring a worse coach than a better coach than him if we were hiring. If that means leas than optimal offense and good defense/slow tempo....so be it.

Sonny Allen
Paul Webb
Tom Young
Oliver Pernell
Jeff Capel
Blaine Taylor

There’s no excuse.
I think he won the regular season and conference tournament of this crap league eight months ago?
12-24-2019 08:15 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

The year vcu went to the final 4 we beat them twice.

Butler needed a last second shot to beat us the year they went to the national championship

You are completely wrong as per usual. They were not already better than us.
12-24-2019 09:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Heisman

(12-24-2019 06:44 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(12-22-2019 09:27 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  The first two are from a completely different era.

There’s no excuse.

Exactly...Giles has on Rose colored glasses all the time and facts speak for themselves. After all many saw BW flaws way before the house of cards fell. We should have never been in this position had some people not been asleep at the wheel. Anyone with any knowledge of competitive sports could see the issue with football years ago and could have seen this with basketball as well.

In terms of Jones, I'd love to have a better coach. Do I think its likely to happen....50/50 at best. I'm not sure another coach could come in and take this school higher than what we've seen...consistently the best CUSA school with a chance at tourney bid. If there is someone out there, I'm all for it.

Factually incorrect again.

Mtsu was consistently the best CUSA team up until their coach left for the sec.

Guess what we don’t have to worry about happening??? Lol
12-24-2019 09:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Heisman

(12-24-2019 07:44 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

Just not true. We were on par with all of them except maybe Butler. They made good choices and Wood made bad choices, and here we are. I am beginning to wonder if you were around during the BT days, because your recollection of that period does not align with those of us who were around back then very often.

There is zero chance he’s been following the team that long.

No one who’s been a odu basketball fan for 40 years would be using advanced metrics either.

The BS meter stinks on this kid.
12-24-2019 09:14 PM
Heisman

(12-24-2019 08:15 PM)PhillyFlorz Wrote:  
(12-22-2019 04:46 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  Sonny Allen
Paul Webb
Tom Young
Oliver Pernell
Jeff Capel
Blaine Taylor

There’s no excuse.

Yes.......the blind squirrel found a nut and all it amounted to was a 14 seed and back into the gutter.

Sorry, not good enough. Aim high right?
12-24-2019 09:16 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Disagree. Blaine had 2 great years though. Other years werent any different than now.

Merry Christmas my friend!!
12-24-2019 09:55 PM
Heisman

(12-24-2019 09:55 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

Disagree. Blaine had 2 great years though. Other years werent any different than now.

Merry Christmas my friend!!

Insanity. You’ve lost all credibility.
12-24-2019 10:35 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(12-22-2019 09:27 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  The first two are from a completely different era.

There’s no excuse.

"Consistently the best CUSA team" is utter BS. They may have the best record over a period of time, and you may be able to say they are the most consistent team in CUSA, but they have only been the best team once.

12-24-2019 10:48 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-24-2019 10:48 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(12-23-2019 12:39 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  Sonny Allen won a national championship while coaching ODU basketball. More than one of the players he recruited at ODU now have their jerseys retired.. Some of ODU's best players ever played for Sonny Allen.

There’s no excuse.

"Consistently the best CUSA team" is utter BS. They may have the best record over a period of time, and you may be able to say they are the most consistent team in CUSA, but they have only been the best team once.

I judge the best team over 30 games, not 3 days in the middle of nowhere.
12-25-2019 08:25 AM
ODU BBALL Online
Heisman

(12-24-2019 06:48 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(12-23-2019 01:06 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

No, I just have a lot more experience regarding ODU basketball to draw from than you do. I've seen the program go through low points such as we are currently witnessing only to rise back up to a level of high success. What is acceptable to you isn't so acceptable to those of us who have been through better - a lot better. We don't settle for status quo just because of your "times have changed" mindset, nor do we buy into your arguments supporting that stance.

LOL, I've been an ODU fan for 40 years. I've supported the team in good times and in 5 and 25 seasons. The landscape in college basketball makes it very unlikely that we can be a consistent top 50 program. Unless we are able to switch conferences.

LOL. Based upon comments you've made on this forum in the past, this comment is highly questionable.
12-25-2019 08:37 AM
DaBigBlue Online
Heisman

I wonder where these guys are going to land. I thought Hampton was almost certain thing for Godwin. The reality it must be pretty hard to get accepted into the new college this time of year, with everyone shut down. I guess they will need to be enrolled when the students come back.

Wishing the Monarch Nation a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday.
12-25-2019 08:47 AM
ODU BBALL Online
Heisman

(12-25-2019 08:47 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  I wonder where these guys are going to land. I thought Hampton was almost certain thing for Godwin. The reality it must be pretty hard to get accepted into the new college this time of year, with everyone shut down. I guess they will need to be enrolled when the students come back.

Wishing the Monarch Nation a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday.

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas as well (and the same goes for all the rest of the Monarch fans out there).
12-25-2019 08:56 AM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(12-25-2019 08:25 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(12-24-2019 10:48 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(12-23-2019 09:28 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  Someone help Giles pick up his face please.

There’s no excuse.

I judge the best team over 30 games, not 3 days in the middle of nowhere.
Judge however you like, they've only been the best team once.

12-25-2019 09:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.