UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Duquesne
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
RE: Duquesne
And pretty much all of the others above UAB have dropped.

So much for backdooring a 2nd NCAA bid.
12-23-2019 01:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blazerjay Offline

Donators
In the only ratings that actually matter...the current NCAA NET ratings:

Rank Prev
85 85 Louisiana Tech
92 94 UTEP
95 96 Western Ky.
110 110 North Texas
127 118 Charlotte
155 150 Old Dominion
163 165 FIU
167 173 Rice
183 221 UAB
235 268 Fla. Atlantic
240 248 Marshall
253 249 UTSA
282 282 Southern Miss.
291 291 Middle Tenn.

FWIW Duquesne dropped from 23 to 66 after the loss.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019 03:24 PM by blazerjay.)
12-23-2019 03:18 PM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
(12-23-2019 01:02 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  And pretty much all of the others above UAB have dropped.

So much for backdooring a 2nd NCAA bid.

I feel like you keep saying this over and over to justify UAB keeping our current coach.

translated as: "No one could get us an at large bid to the tourney, so we should just keep Ehsan."
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019 03:55 PM by The Answer UAB.)
12-23-2019 03:54 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Regardless of coach, it is the truth.

Heck, even Haase had to use a pissed off fan base to rally a conference tournament win. (& didn't do anything spectacular after that season)

UAB isn't going to make the tournament without winning the conference tournament.

Neither is ODU, La Tech, WKU, etc.

I would invite anyone to take a look at these ratings midway through the conference season & draw your own conclusions.

The point where the conference needed to make a move was during the OOC games.

Feel free though to keep whining for Kennedy to get hired in his place.

Kennedy gets hired, doesn't win conference tournament, sits at home.

While you all are busy spending time criticizing Ehsan, he has the team playing pretty well right now before conference season starts.

A good seeding in the tournament will help our opportunities at winning the conference tournament.
12-23-2019 06:28 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
Of course that's the point the conference needs to make a move. CUSA as a whole has crapped the bed every year OOC since the last round of realignment. We have to have more than one or two teams pick up some quality wins to get a second bid. If we can wind up with several teams in the top 50-100 range, that's how we can get a second bid. What we have been doing is not going to help anything.
12-24-2019 10:16 AM
Ranger1386c Offline
Special Teams

(12-24-2019 10:16 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  Of course that's the point the conference needs to make a move. CUSA as a whole has crapped the bed every year OOC since the last round of realignment. We have to have more than one or two teams pick up some quality wins to get a second bid. If we can wind up with several teams in the top 50-100 range, that's how we can get a second bid. What we have been doing is not going to help anything.

CUSA appears to be slowly but steadily on their way down to becoming one of the littlest sisters of even the G5 conferences. The conference is poorly led and too geographically diverse to drive the passion needed to draw increased attention and revenue. Frankly, almost no basketball fan cares about a USM vs UTSA game, or a UAB vs FIU game, other than them being another conference game.

The only way up for UAB to higher conference revenue and national competitiveness is moving out of CUSA. To make that move we also need a competitive basketball program, loosely defined as at least top 2 in our very weak league.

We do not appear to be on a recruiting or winning trajectory to becoming a perennial top 2 program in one of the weakest BB leagues. Thus, the BB program is likely a significant barrier to a future conference upgrade. Therefore, it is reasonable to argue that a notable upgrade in basketball leadership will be a key step toward positioning UAB as a top competitor when the next rounds of realignment occur.
12-24-2019 01:49 PM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

Dump all of the Texas and Florida schools. Add 2 schools from La & Ga each, and then it’s a fight between App State, Liberty, James Madison, Ark state, Troy, and USA to add another 2 teams. Bye bye to Rice, UTEP, North Texas, UTSA, and the FUs. This is better for travel and it’s so much more attractive for fans and recruiting. That’s our only hope at a better league. I don’t see the AAC taking us.

The two GA programs and ULaLa have been doing much better than those other 6 schools in this league.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2019 02:52 PM by BlazinBham.)
12-24-2019 02:49 PM
MAN4UAB Online
All American

I think that it is going to take us building the facilities needed to attract top recruits. We also need to strengthen our [/u]schedule by playing and hopefully beating P5’s on the road and in tournaments. Home and home games with teams from the A10, MVC, AAC and MWC will also help.

I don’t think that the grass will be necessarily greener in the AAC or by trading current conference members for Sun Belt members. We can get to where we want to be by improving our program.
12-24-2019 06:57 PM
Blazer88 Offline
Banned

(12-23-2019 06:28 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Regardless of coach, it is the truth.

Heck, even Haase had to use a pissed off fan base to rally a conference tournament win. (& didn't do anything spectacular after that season)

UAB isn't going to make the tournament without winning the conference tournament.

I would invite anyone to take a look at these ratings midway through the conference season & draw your own conclusions.

While you all are busy spending time criticizing Ehsan, he has the team playing pretty well right now before conference season starts.

A good seeding in the tournament will help our opportunities at winning the conference tournament.

Amazing you keep spewing this
12-25-2019 11:21 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

(12-25-2019 11:21 AM)Blazer88 Wrote:  
(12-23-2019 06:28 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Regardless of coach, it is the truth.

Amazing you keep spewing this

Try supporting the program for a change.
12-25-2019 06:21 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
He’s not wrong. Only way a CUSA team is getting an at large is to be sitting with two or one loss and even that is a bubble team. We as UAB fans are spoiled what Gene Bartow did with this program is not happening today in this climate. Only way to try and dig out is another league. AAC is a start and football is driving that bus. You can put a young John Wooden here tomorrow and he isn’t getting an at large. Best thing we can do is support the program and increase donations instead of starving the program.
12-26-2019 10:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
Ehsan still has a shot. Two of them actually, the regular season race and the conference tournament. The second half of the Duquense game was promising but so was the first half versus Memphis. Do we follow up the win with strength or do we go back to going through the motions?

CUSA is wide open and everything is still out there for Ehsan and this team. This is his moment truth. Will he capture it or let it slip?

NCAA
NIT
Fired
12-26-2019 12:52 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Look at MTSU a few years ago for an example of a strong record with even a decent RPI yet they still were left out.

Likewise Haase in Cokley's sophomore year had a very good record but lost in the conference tournament and was excluded from the big dance.

It would take every conference member playing strong out of conference teams and winning a good share of them to get the conference RPI high enough to where teams didn't slide after conference play.

Recall the Great Midwest and our team with Carter Long, etc. We could lose a few games and still be ranked in the top 25 due to the strength of the league.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2019 03:25 PM by the_blazerman.)
12-26-2019 03:25 PM
ShrackUAB Offline
1st String

(12-26-2019 03:25 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Look at MTSU a few years ago for an example of a strong record with even a decent RPI yet they still were left out.

Likewise Haase in Cokley's sophomore year had a very good record but lost in the conference tournament and was excluded from the big dance.

It would take every conference member playing strong out of conference teams and winning a good share of them to get the conference RPI high enough to where teams didn't slide after conference play.

Recall the Great Midwest and our team with Carter Long, etc. We could lose a few games and still be ranked in the top 25 due to the strength of the league.

That team wasn't even on the bubble. The OOC was incredibly weak and then a weak league. We had 3 top 100 wins period, and none in the top 50. Only way to get an at large in this league is to have a strong OOC run and then go like 16-2 in conference or so.

More than anything it takes a few teams actually winning games OOC so the league isn't just full of landmines. We've been a major contributor to this league being bad every year but one out of the past 7 years. That's on us. UAB entering conference play multiple years with a 200+ RPI is terrible
12-26-2019 04:01 PM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-26-2019 04:01 PM)ShrackUAB Wrote:  
(12-26-2019 03:25 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Look at MTSU a few years ago for an example of a strong record with even a decent RPI yet they still were left out.

That team wasn't even on the bubble. The OOC was incredibly weak and then a weak league. We had 3 top 100 wins period, and none in the top 50. Only way to get an at large in this league is to have a strong OOC run and then go like 16-2 in conference or so.

More than anything it takes a few teams actually winning games OOC so the league isn't just full of landmines. We've been a major contributor to this league being bad every year but one out of the past 7 years. That's on us. UAB entering conference play multiple years with a 200+ RPI is terrible

Yeah that team doesn’t fit in with his point. We weren’t even in the bubble convo with a great record bc we played such a weak OOC schedule and clapped the bed in the games that mattered.

A current CUSA team CAN get an at large. No doubt it’s harder, but it is possible.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2019 05:03 PM by The Answer UAB.)
12-26-2019 05:02 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
A top 25 three loss MT team that played a solid ooc schedule would have been left out with a top 40 RPI according to CBS Jerry Palm has they not won CUSA. Not impossible for a CUSA at large but you better be sitting there with two or less losses and have a lot of breaks. It’s not the same climate as before.
12-27-2019 04:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I agree with you AB, but my point is blazerman uses that as an excuse to not hire a decent coach and stick with the status quo.
12-27-2019 11:12 AM
Blazer88 Offline
Banned

We can’t even win this league we talk crap about
12-27-2019 11:17 AM
UABFRENCHY Offline
Heisman

Donators
the league is not that bad because every year the team of cusa play well ,,,,in the tourmament
12-27-2019 11:38 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up

Here is the missing ingredient, who has anybody won against? In the past 3 years, what do you consider UAB's best win? When that question is asked and you actually objectively try to answer it, it's very easy to see why UAB and other CUSA schools can't get into the bubble conversation often right now.

MTSU was left out because they had no great wins and lost a couple of stinkers to close out the year. They were in good shape up until that point however. They had a few decent wins, but not enough to make up for the terrible USM loss that was the last thing everybody saw from them.(and one of the reasons I would limit our conference tournament to no more than 8 in the future)

The UAB team you are discussing did absolutely nothing of note. We lost to a bad Auburn team, Illinois, and Va Tech, none of whom were near the top of their respective conferences. We had 4 top 100 games that year.

ODU also had a really good OOC a few years ago and were a virtual lock, but they too crapped the bed a bit in conference. The biggest issue we have as a conference at the moment is we can get several teams decent in one year, and we can't get away from the terrible bottom feeders.

The RPI has half our teams over 200 and another 3 over 150. That leaves 4 teams inside the top 150 heading into conference play. Oddly, the NET is a little more forgiving, only having 5 teams outside of the top 200, and another 4 outside the top 150. In order to make the tournament these days you have to play and win good games. We aren't in the ACC or Big Ten, so our shots are few and far between compared to those conferences. We have to figure out a way to game the system a little though, and I don't feel like we've put enough effort into scheduling games against other decent mid major programs.

For comparison, here are what some other conferences have in the top 100 NET:

AAC: 8/12
A10: 8/14
MAC: 2/12 but only 3 schools 200+
MWC: 4/11
MVC: 2/10 only 3 schools 20+
SoCon: 3/10
WCC: 5/10
12-27-2019 12:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.