ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Petey Sessoms
mac Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Petey Sessoms
So , Dear Mr. Selig. You have a chance to right a serious wrong.

It is wayyyyy past time to honor Petey Sessoms. His jersey should be most certainly hanging from the rafters.

Maybe you aren't familiar with him? He is only one of the very, very top players ever at ODU. Many would say top five and almost everyone would say top ten.

TIME TO CORRECT A MAJOR OVERSIGHT!

https://odusports.com/sports/2019/9/16/208422012.aspx

Maybe you missed this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9soYAiPmyA
12-16-2019 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODU_NYG Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
RE: Petey Sessoms
Did he ever graduate?
12-16-2019 12:53 PM
ODU-FAN Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Old Dominion!
Petey was a STUD who refused to lose! He was special. Him, Valentine and Hodge are right up there at the top for my top players ever to wear an ODU uniform.
12-16-2019 01:01 PM
Prideofalion Online
1st String

I don’t care if he didn’t graduate. Local player. One of the best ever to put on the uniform. He played 4 years. Put his number up! And do it yesterday!
12-16-2019 01:17 PM
Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
(12-16-2019 01:17 PM)Prideofalion Wrote:  I don’t care if he didn’t graduate. Local player. One of the best ever to put on the uniform. He played 4 years. Put his number up! And do it yesterday!

There are two ways to get your jersey in the rafters: earn it or pay for it.

I assume Sessoms falls in the “earned it” category, but I don’t know who/how it’s decided when someone goes up. The last jersey that went up in the rafters was paid for
12-16-2019 01:30 PM
ODUDon Offline
Special Teams

ODU Sports.com write-up on Sessoms states:

Petey Sessoms, the school’s fourth all-time scorer with 1,985 career points scored 35 points in ODU’s triple overtime upset win over #3 seed and BIGEAST champion Villanova In the 1995 NCAA first round in Albany, NY. Sessoms is also the school’s 13th all-time rebounder with 779, and sixth all-time free throw percentage leader at .819. The Portsmouth, VA., native led the Monarchs in scoring in 1993 at 16.9, and in 1995 at 22.1. He also led the team in rebounding in 1995 at 8.4. In 1995, Sessoms was named CAA Player of the Year, and CAA Tournament MVP. He also earned honorable mention All-American honors by BASEKTBALL WEEKLY and the National Association of Basketball Coaches. Sessoms was named the ODU Alumni Association Male Athlete of the Year in 1995. He graduated with a degree in recreation and leisure studies and is playing in Israel.
12-16-2019 03:26 PM
Advertisement

ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(12-16-2019 12:42 PM)mac Wrote:  So , Dear Mr. Selig. You have a chance to right a serious wrong.

It is wayyyyy past time to honor Petey Sessoms. His jersey should be most certainly hanging from the rafters.

Maybe you aren't familiar with him? He is only one of the very, very top players ever at ODU. Many would say top five and almost everyone would say top ten.

Maybe you missed this?

As much as I loved watching Petey play in an ODU uniform, I doubt if he would make the Top 5 in my personal voting. Not saying that he isn't worthy or I wouldn't ultimately vote him in the Top 5, but off the top of my head there are a lot of very good players that played basketball at ODU that I have watched, along with a few such as Harry Lozon, Leo Anthony, Button Speaks, and Dick St. Claire that I never had the privilege of seeing. Guys such as the following (and this is not intended to be an all inclusive list - just some off the top of my head) -

Dave Twardzik #
Wilson Washington #
Joel Copeland #
Ronnie Valentine #
Ricky Michaelson
Oliver Purnell
Jeff Fhurmann
Mark West #
Kenny Gattison #
Charlie Smith
Frank Smith
Keith Thomas
Anthony Carver
Chris Gattling
Ricardo Leonard
Keith Jackson
Odell Hodge #
Petey Sessoms
Mike Jones
Alex Laughton
Arnaud Dahi
Ricardo Marsh
Vladas Vasylius
Drew Williamson
Gerald Lee
Frank Hassell
Kent Bazemore
Trey Freeman

I put a # symbol by the names that I most likely would rank ahead of Petey. The others I would have to put more thought into it before picking the next 3 players to fill out my Top 10. It's a tough thing to do ranking these solid players. They each had a different style and had their own way of impacting a basketball game to help ODU win, be it scoring, assists, rebounding, defense, or a combination of any of them.

Here's a link to one of the guys not even on my own personal list simply because I never got to watch him play. He certainly is deserving of a spot somewhere in the Top 10. If you haven't read it before, it's a very good read about a terrific ODU player whose number has been retired, and one that all ODU fans should enjoy -

https://odusports.com/news/2019/3/29/211797702.aspx
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2019 06:26 PM by ODU BBALL.)
12-16-2019 06:24 PM
JJMonarch Offline
1st String

(12-16-2019 06:24 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(12-16-2019 12:42 PM)mac Wrote:  So , Dear Mr. Selig. You have a chance to right a serious wrong.

Maybe you missed this?

As much as I loved watching Petey play in an ODU uniform, I doubt if he would make the Top 5 in my personal voting. Not saying that he isn't worthy or I wouldn't ultimately vote him in the Top 5, but off the top of my head there are a lot of very good players that played basketball at ODU that I have watched, along with a few such as Harry Lozon, Leo Anthony, Button Speaks, and Dick St. Claire that I never had the privilege of seeing. Guys such as the following (and this is not intended to be an all inclusive list - just some off the top of my head) -

Dave Twardzik #
Wilson Washington #
Joel Copeland #
Ronnie Valentine #
Ricky Michaelson
Oliver Purnell
Jeff Fhurmann
Mark West #
Kenny Gattison #
Charlie Smith
Frank Smith
Keith Thomas
Anthony Carver
Chris Gattling
Ricardo Leonard
Keith Jackson
Odell Hodge #
Petey Sessoms
Mike Jones
Alex Laughton
Arnaud Dahi
Ricardo Marsh
Vladas Vasylius
Drew Williamson
Gerald Lee
Frank Hassell
Kent Bazemore
Trey Freeman

I put a # symbol by the names that I most likely would rank ahead of Petey. The others I would have to put more thought into it before picking the next 3 players to fill out my Top 10. It's a tough thing to do ranking these solid players. They each had a different style and had their own way of impacting a basketball game to help ODU win, be it scoring, assists, rebounding, defense, or a combination of any of them.

Here's a link to one of the guys not even on my own personal list simply because I never got to watch him play. He certainly is deserving of a spot somewhere in the Top 10. If you haven't read it before, it's a very good read about a terrific ODU player whose number has been retired, and one that all ODU fans should enjoy -

https://odusports.com/news/2019/3/29/211797702.aspx

That’s a cool list and brings back some great memories. Happy to say I saw them all but same as you, I did not see Leo Anthony play. It’s hard to argue with your top seven but I think I would find a way to put Sessoms in, but it would be tough. One omission in your list was Cal Bowdler. I would put him in my top 10 and Reggie Bassett and Mark Poag playing alongside him was pretty impressive too. Thanks for sharing your list.
12-16-2019 08:05 PM
Prideofalion Online
1st String

I like the list. Mark Poag and Mike Byers were also fantastic. One guy that was on some not soo good teams was Ricardo Marsh. Petey is definitely in my top 5. I think what sets Sessoms apart was that he started for 4 years and was a big contributor from day 1. He won 2 CAA championships and the two that he didn’t win were also very good teams. Guy was a flat winner. Everyone remembers the shooting stroke but he was a great defender and awesome rebounder.
12-16-2019 08:17 PM
Can't Tame the Lion Offline
Special Teams

One of my favorite ODU basketball moments was with 22sec left in the 3rd OT against Villanova and hanging on to a 3pt lead, Petey blocked a shot, ran the length of the court, made a layup while drawing the foul and threw "air punches" after the play to seal the win - classic Petey Sessoms. Another favorite was him torching UVA at Scope for an upset win.
12-16-2019 08:34 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

Petey sessoms is my all time favorite monarch hands down.

His stroke was a thing of pure beauty, i think it was even better than Poag’s although poag was a close second.

Didn’t poag own the NCAA record for 3’s in a game without missing for well over a decade?

Goodness how we have fallen.
12-16-2019 08:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!
(12-16-2019 01:30 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  
(12-16-2019 01:17 PM)Prideofalion Wrote:  I don’t care if he didn’t graduate. Local player. One of the best ever to put on the uniform. He played 4 years. Put his number up! And do it yesterday!

I assume Sessoms falls in the “earned it” category, but I don’t know who/how it’s decided when someone goes up. The last jersey that went up in the rafters was paid for

I think Bazemore deserves his banner and didn’t pay for it. Although I realize he contributed to the program, which I’m thankful for. And I think Sessoms deserves a banner as well.
12-16-2019 08:44 PM
Justanodufan Offline
1st String

(12-16-2019 08:44 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  

I think Bazemore deserves his banner and didn’t pay for it. Although I realize he contributed to the program, which I’m thankful for. And I think Sessoms deserves a banner as well.

Lol he paid for it to go up. But believe what you want to believe
12-16-2019 10:13 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!
(12-16-2019 10:13 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  

Lol - Baze is one of our best players to ever wear an ODU jersey. Sessoms is in the same category - no argument. But believe what you want to believe.
12-16-2019 10:18 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(12-16-2019 10:18 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  

Lol - Baze is one of our best players to ever wear an ODU jersey. Sessoms is in the same category - no argument. But believe what you want to believe.
truth
12-16-2019 10:28 PM
FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs
Great list. I'd add Ronnie McAdoo and Mark Davis to it. High level NBA prospect and a NBA player.
12-16-2019 10:54 PM
Advertisement

Prideofalion Online
1st String

Kent Bazemore absolutely deserves his banner. Great player and ambassador of the program. Played on great teams. 3 year starter and 4 year contributor. All conference multiple times. Two time defensive POY. Could go on and on. It’s easier to contribute to the program when you make 17 million a year.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2019 11:09 PM by Prideofalion.)
12-16-2019 11:09 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

I agree with some other posters that there is room on "my" list to have the following players added -

Mark Poag
Mike Byers
Ronnie McAdoo
Mark Davis

Mario Mullen is another worthy performer. Interestingly enough, he and Petey made up 2/5 of the All Tidewater Boys Basketball First Team in 1991.

Just keep in mind that my list wasn't intended to be an all inclusive list of ODU's best players ever as I was sure that there would be some that I had not thought of in the 3-4 minutes that I was going through names in my head of players that I had seen over the years - as well as some others that I only heard listening to the games on my hand held transistor radio in the 60's when I was a kid, but never got to see.

I went to see McAdoo play against Wake Forrest in the NCAA Tournament game at Charlotte Coliseum in March '82. I also watched his future wife (Janet Davis) play for the Lady Monarchs. I used to see the mother of Mark Davis (and his brother Garrick who also played at ODU) at work once in a while and we would always spend a couple of minutes talking about her sons and ODU basketball.
12-16-2019 11:44 PM
Justanodufan Offline
1st String

(12-16-2019 10:18 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  

Let’s assume -for arguments sake- that you’re correct. If Sessoms is in the same category as Bazemore, then why does only one of them have their jersey in the rafters? If you’re saying both are deserving, why is one still not in the rafters (after 20 years) and one is hanging in the rafters after signing an obscenely large contract?

I know for a fact that one of the stipulations of Bazemore’s donation was his jersey going up in the rafters.

But believe what you want to believe.
12-17-2019 01:37 AM
Can't Tame the Lion Offline
Special Teams

(12-16-2019 10:54 PM)FearTheLion Wrote:  Great list. I'd add Ronnie McAdoo and Mark Davis to it. High level NBA prospect and a NBA player.

Mark Davis was outstanding... outstanding hops and one of the best finishers we've ever had.
12-17-2019 07:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.