Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Mercer (Monday, Dec 16 - 7 PM)
(12-20-2019 03:52 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(12-20-2019 02:13 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(12-20-2019 12:44 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(12-19-2019 03:45 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(12-19-2019 02:20 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  SoCon might get multiple bids this year and going forward they are positioned to stay in that spot. Not long ago the talk was UNCG to the CAA and all most nobody on this board was in favor of that. Funny how that works with schools who mare committed to getting better and stay the course. I do think the SoCon/UNVW would be a great fit and I think they would jump on UNCW in a second. I don't think Bass has the foresight to make a move. I see Bass as more of a problem than CB and I would be favor of letting him go right now.

Curious what leads you to that thinking, honestly.

1. He's been one of the most successful AD's in our history if you add up all of the different conference championships across all sports at UNCW.

2. And most relevant to this topic, he also hired Kevin Keatts who gave us 3 amazing years of UNCW basketball prior to leaving for more money elsewhere.

So... yes, the CB hire appears to be a bad mark on the record for Bass, but I'm willing to give him another hire and see what he can do with "best out of three" mentality. What sir, leads you to believe he should be canned?

Hopefully Bass gets one of the jobs he applies for at some point. Keatts did inherent a team with some talent and won some games here. How did he leave the program-in a total mess . I get it that Bass is liked by some people but I am not one of them. Just my take on the dude but he's not a guy I would trust with anything of value.

it's ok to not like a guy, but isn't the proof in the pudding as far as job performance. Aside from the CB hire, what has he really botched?
He has hired a few coaches that are successful in minor sports at UNCW-what else? I also don't see the Keatts hire as a slam dunk,won some games and left the program in the crapper for the next guy. He also has been looking for the next job since he landed here and nobody has offered him a cracker. Not that it makes him a bad guy but I don't like it. Facilities are still way behind if you compare them to other schools like a UNCW and that is not debatable. He is just a low energy guy and I am hoping he gets another job-soon.
I'm not sure how KK hire can't be considered successful. The school made a great deal of $$ of those two appearances. Sure I wish he left it better, but what he did while here really can't be debated. Facilities have always been an issue due to $$$ and even some of those have improved under his watch. Hell, you were sticking up for CB a few weeks ago............
12-20-2019 03:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
(12-20-2019 03:58 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(12-20-2019 12:44 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(12-19-2019 03:45 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  Curious what leads you to that thinking, honestly.

1. He's been one of the most successful AD's in our history if you add up all of the different conference championships across all sports at UNCW.

2. And most relevant to this topic, he also hired Kevin Keatts who gave us 3 amazing years of UNCW basketball prior to leaving for more money elsewhere.

So... yes, the CB hire appears to be a bad mark on the record for Bass, but I'm willing to give him another hire and see what he can do with "best out of three" mentality. What sir, leads you to believe he should be canned?

Hopefully Bass gets one of the jobs he applies for at some point. Keatts did inherent a team with some talent and won some games here. How did he leave the program-in a total mess . I get it that Bass is liked by some people but I am not one of them. Just my take on the dude but he's not a guy I would trust with anything of value.

it's ok to not like a guy, but isn't the proof in the pudding as far as job performance. Aside from the CB hire, what has he really botched?
He has hired a few coaches that are successful in minor sports at UNCW-what else? I also don't see the Keatts hire as a slam dunk,won some games and left the program in the crapper for the next guy. He also has been looking for the next job since he landed here and nobody has offered him a cracker. Not that it makes him a bad guy but I don't like it. Facilities are still way behind if you compare them to other schools like a UNCW and that is not debatable. He is just a low energy guy and I am hoping he gets another job-soon.
I'm not sure how KK hire can't be considered successful. The school made a great deal of $$ of those two appearances. Sure I wish he left it better, but what he did while here really can't be debated. Facilities have always been an issue due to $$$ and even some of those have improved under his watch. Hell, you were sticking up for CB a few weeks ago............
I didn't mention CB and I think he needs more time -at least another year is how I see it. Keatts won games and as far as the school making big bucks off the 2 NCAA games-it is not exactly a windfall as you split the money with the conference. He also destroyed the next guy having any chance to win .
The facilities fall squarely into the wheel house of the AD and he has stunk it up as far as that goes. Baseball has a new state of the art building and Bass had zero to do with that. His crown jewel is the scoreboard in Trask ?
12-20-2019 04:19 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-20-2019 04:19 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(12-20-2019 12:44 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  Hopefully Bass gets one of the jobs he applies for at some point. Keatts did inherent a team with some talent and won some games here. How did he leave the program-in a total mess . I get it that Bass is liked by some people but I am not one of them. Just my take on the dude but he's not a guy I would trust with anything of value.

I didn't mention CB and I think he needs more time -at least another year is how I see it. Keatts won games and as far as the school making big bucks off the 2 NCAA games-it is not exactly a windfall as you split the money with the conference. He also destroyed the next guy having any chance to win .
The facilities fall squarely into the wheel house of the AD and he has stunk it up as far as that goes. Baseball has a new state of the art building and Bass had zero to do with that. His crown jewel is the scoreboard in Trask ?

Bottom line if you don't like someone regardless of results it will be more of this. We have seen it before. It's not about just the money for the tournament, there is a trickle down effect that helps other sports as well as sell more merchandise. Personally, My UNCW gear was older, i bought a bunch of new $**** before heading to Charleston. I'm sure i'm not the only one. So you think Bass had ZERO to do with baseball?
12-20-2019 06:47 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

(12-20-2019 06:47 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(12-20-2019 02:13 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  it's ok to not like a guy, but isn't the proof in the pudding as far as job performance. Aside from the CB hire, what has he really botched?

Bottom line if you don't like someone regardless of results it will be more of this. We have seen it before. It's not about just the money for the tournament, there is a trickle down effect that helps other sports as well as sell more merchandise. Personally, My UNCW gear was older, i bought a bunch of new $**** before heading to Charleston. I'm sure i'm not the only one. So you think Bass had ZERO to do with baseball?

I don't see any trickle down at all and I mean absolutely zero. The best thing Bass can do for baseball is stay away and that means no where near it.
12-22-2019 02:44 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-22-2019 02:44 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(12-20-2019 06:47 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(12-20-2019 03:52 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  He has hired a few coaches that are successful in minor sports at UNCW-what else? I also don't see the Keatts hire as a slam dunk,won some games and left the program in the crapper for the next guy. He also has been looking for the next job since he landed here and nobody has offered him a cracker. Not that it makes him a bad guy but I don't like it. Facilities are still way behind if you compare them to other schools like a UNCW and that is not debatable. He is just a low energy guy and I am hoping he gets another job-soon.

I don't see any trickle down at all and I mean absolutely zero. The best thing Bass can do for baseball is stay away and that means no where near it.
Any trickle down positives would be minimized due to tanking as soon as Keatts left
12-22-2019 04:09 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
It's just an ignorant statement to say that the success of basketball doesn't trickle down to the whole athletic department. Of course it does. It is by far our #1 revenue sport. It drives membership and donations to the Seahawk club. If gets more exposure to the public than every other sport combined. It is also the only sport that pays for itself when we are winning.
12-22-2019 04:35 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

(12-22-2019 04:35 PM)82hawk Wrote:  It's just an ignorant statement to say that the success of basketball doesn't trickle down to the whole athletic department. Of course it does. It is by far our #1 revenue sport. It drives membership and donations to the Seahawk club. If gets more exposure to the public than every other sport combined. It is also the only sport that pays for itself when we are winning.

Maybe it does but it is really hard to see it here. Basketball has never been a thing in Wilmington except during the Wainwright/Brownell years and I get it that Keatts won some games but nobody seemed to care and they still don't. Not sure what it might take to get back to the glory days myself. UNCW should brand as a baseball school- IMO.
12-23-2019 03:37 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-23-2019 03:37 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(12-22-2019 04:35 PM)82hawk Wrote:  It's just an ignorant statement to say that the success of basketball doesn't trickle down to the whole athletic department. Of course it does. It is by far our #1 revenue sport. It drives membership and donations to the Seahawk club. If gets more exposure to the public than every other sport combined. It is also the only sport that pays for itself when we are winning.

Maybe it does but it is really hard to see it here. Basketball has never been a thing in Wilmington except during the Wainwright/Brownell years and I get it that Keatts won some games but nobody seemed to care and they still don't. Not sure what it might take to get back to the glory days myself. UNCW should brand as a baseball school- IMO.
To state that no one cared when KK won some games simply isn't accurate. Town was buzzing, alumni were buzzing, regional and national notoriety. Donations were up for the Seahawkclub(WERE)
12-23-2019 03:39 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW

Just a ridiculous statement. Wilmington and UNCW are basketball towns when basketball is good and earns their attention. Unfortunately, that has only happened in two coaching eras. And it's not like we are consistently good. We go from NCAA tournament appearances to last place finishes when our successful coaches leave. We can only hope that we don't have another decade of failure when McGrath is gone and that we can hire a coach to turn this mess around.
12-23-2019 03:45 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Mercer (Monday, Dec 16 - 7 PM)

This is the most immaculate post of the day right here.

This is 110% not true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
12-23-2019 03:46 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

(12-23-2019 03:46 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  

This is 110% not true.

I don' think you live here these days but it is NOT a thing at all. You could buy tickets vs Carolina outside the door for less than face value and that tells me all I need to know. Our son and his buddy bought 2 tickets for $80.00 ten minutes before game time. I have seen it when you could not find one ticket to see a JMU or Mason game much less Carolina. Maybe it's just the times we live in now-who knows.
12-23-2019 04:38 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Mullets statement is flat out not true.

Before Wainwright and Brownell and Blizzard, Trask was loud and rocking. Go watch the Navy UNCW video i posted. After Blizzard when we had good years but not great years Trask was rocking. Benny's first two years, Trask was rocking even that 1st year where we sucked. The problem was after Benny's first two years we weren't just average, we sucked. And we sucked for 6 years on top of a terrible administration. Keatts showed everyone again what Wilmington can be like. But unfortunately as soon as he left we AGAIN threw away everything that made us successful.

Wilmington is a great basketball town and would have supported McGrath had he put forth even a semblance of a competitive product. Wilmington will not support a team that is not even competitive due to bad leadership. Theyve read that story before
12-23-2019 04:43 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

(12-23-2019 04:43 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Mullets statement is flat out not true.

Before Wainwright and Brownell and Blizzard, Trask was loud and rocking. Go watch the Navy UNCW video i posted. After Blizzard when we had good years but not great years Trask was rocking. Benny's first two years, Trask was rocking even that 1st year where we sucked. The problem was after Benny's first two years we weren't just average, we sucked. And we sucked for 6 years on top of a terrible administration. Keatts showed everyone again what Wilmington can be like. But unfortunately as soon as he left we AGAIN threw away everything that made us successful.

Wilmington is a great basketball town and would have supported McGrath had he put forth even a semblance of a competitive product. Wilmington will not support a team that is not even competitive due to bad leadership. Theyve read that story before
It started to fall off after Brad left the next year even when they won games. The following year it went down and then bottomed out the next. The Keatts years were decent at times but the place has not been the same since they removed the bleachers and put seatbacks in place. UNCW does a poor job marketing the team locally and there are plenty of options here. Trask has needed a make over for years,concesssions are a step above middle school but most high schools are better. Its just not a big time basketball experience in any respect to me. If there is a benefit from the NCAA games I don't see it at Trask at all.
12-23-2019 04:55 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Mercer (Monday, Dec 16 - 7 PM)
(12-23-2019 04:38 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  

This is 110% not true.

I don' think you live here these days but it is NOT a thing at all. You could buy tickets vs Carolina outside the door for less than face value and that tells me all I need to know. Our son and his buddy bought 2 tickets for $80.00 ten minutes before game time. I have seen it when you could not find one ticket to see a JMU or Mason game much less Carolina. Maybe it's just the times we live in now-who knows.

I haven’t lived in Wilmington since 2006. That has no bearing on this though, because I’m still connected to the program in numerous ways to include giving financial support and information from a few big donors that I don’t need to mention any further. Wilmington is very much a basketball town when the team is succeeding, and that overwhelmingly includes the Keatts years when giving and attendance sharply increased following a decade of bad basketball.

Regardless of what the seats looked like, students were showing up to games again and excited to watch the product on the floor.

You can dislike Keatts all you want. I’m not a fan at all of how he left, but in terms of getting excitement back to the program, life to the Seahawk Club and fan participation from the city... he brought it back. That is flat out undeniable.

So don’t be disingenuous to my knowledge of the program and city just because I’m not a crabby old local such as yourself.

12-23-2019 06:14 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-23-2019 04:55 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(12-23-2019 04:43 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Mullets statement is flat out not true.

It started to fall off after Brad left the next year even when they won games. The following year it went down and then bottomed out the next. The Keatts years were decent at times but the place has not been the same since they removed the bleachers and put seatbacks in place. UNCW does a poor job marketing the team locally and there are plenty of options here. Trask has neetded a make over for years,concesssions are a step above middle school but most high schools are better. Its just not a big time basketball experience in any respect to me. If there is a benefit from the NCAA games I don't see it at Trask at all.

Trask being "big time" and Wilmington being a "basketball town" are two different subjects

I actually agree with you about the poor job the department does with the layout of Track in comparison to when I was in school

However Wilmington has and will support this team. The problem is we go from being great to terrible with no in between. This is due to lack of consistency in what our program is on the court
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019 06:19 PM by solohawks.)
12-23-2019 06:18 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-23-2019 06:14 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(12-23-2019 04:38 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  

This is 110% not true.

I haven’t lived in Wilmington since 2006. That has no bearing on this though, because I’m still connected to the program in numerous ways to include giving financial support and information from a few big donors that I don’t need to mention any further. Wilmington is very much a basketball town when the team is succeeding, and that overwhelmingly includes the Keatts years when giving and attendance sharply increased following a decade of bad basketball.

Regardless of what the seats looked like, students were showing up to games again and excited to watch the product on the floor.

You can dislike Keatts all you want. I’m not a fan at all of how he left, but in terms of getting excitement back to the program, life to the Seahawk Club and fan participation from the city... he brought it back. That is flat out undeniable.

So don’t be disingenuous to my knowledge of the program and city just because I’m not a crabby old local such as yourself.

There really is no debate to any of your statements. The fact that it got publicity here in Raleigh perhaps says more than anything. I still spend 30-40% of my time there and the place was excited when KK was there.

Mullet- No one is arguing no one gives a crap now(your point on the UNC game) This is the third straight year of losing, that's what happens.
12-23-2019 06:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.