Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Frisco Bowl - KSU vs. USU
KSUforever Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent State Univ
RE: Frisco Bowl - KSU vs. USU
(12-08-2019 05:52 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  I think it's officially time we retire the buy game argument. We made a bowl game even with those 3 buy games. We were 1 win away from a MAC Championship game appearance. It can be done.

Now, on to Dallas and the Frisco bowl. I am not the research kind of guy, so someone who loves doing it, let me know the skinny. Without knowing anything about our opponent, I will say KSU wins 27-24. Trickett wins it as the clock expires.

I disagree the sport costs too much we need the buy in games. Hell, this bowl will come out of the buy in pot. Any idea what this will cost us? Allegedly extra practices will help next year but I am skeptical of that idea. It might help with recruiting.
12-13-2019 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Proud pilot Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent State
Signing Day for football is next week not an expert in recruiting but one would think. Very positive message when recruits are "watching team practicing for a bowl" because I'm sure they are visiting schools this weekend
12-13-2019 07:38 PM
goldenflash99 Offline
Special Teams

(12-13-2019 07:38 PM)Proud pilot Wrote:  Signing Day for football is next week not an expert in recruiting but one would think. Very positive message when recruits are "watching team practicing for a bowl" because I'm sure they are visiting schools this weekend

Yes, this is a huge weekend for recruiting. Extra practice time and the vibe from the looming bowl game can only help us.
12-13-2019 11:32 PM
Albert Flasher Offline
2nd String

Allen Moff reported today that "Sixth-year linebacker Matt Bahr had knee surgery earlier this week and will not play in the Frisco Bowl." Wasn't expecting this.

#GoFlashes
12-15-2019 05:19 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
That's really sad for him. He has worked incredibly hard to get this opportunity. Damn.
12-15-2019 05:48 PM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
Here's a list of watch parties for those of us not at the game.
https://www.kent.edu/alumni/event/tropic...ch-parties
12-15-2019 08:21 PM
aceofspadeskb Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Utah State Univ
Utah State fan here. Thanks for the add. I'm not the troll type, just dropping in for some positive back and forth.

A bit about our team: Offense is down this year in spite of having a legitimate NFL bound QB at the helm. Jordan Love has had a pretty rough year behind a complete new offensive line and lack of height at WR outside the numbers. Having a rather short set of wide receivers has been the root cause of many of Love's multitude of interceptions this year. After a stellar season last year, watching the offense this year has been extremely frustrating to Aggie fans.

We're also under a new coaching staff after the previous staff left for Texas Tech. Head coach is Gary Andersen who is well known for his debacle at Oregon State, even throwing his assistants under the bus. However for the most part he was welcomed back to Utah State this year with open arms. His first stint here brought Utah State out of the dark ages football wise. Utah State went to only 2 bowl games from 1961-2010. Andersen turned the program around making back to back bowl trips in 2011-12 before leaving for the head coaching job at Wisconsin. 2016 was our lone losing season since the turnaround in 2011.

On the defensive side of the ball we are mediocre at best. The new coaching staff switched our base defense from a 3-4 to a 4-2-5, even though it's blatantly obvious we don't have the players to run the new system. Again, frustrating for us Aggie fans.

As far as what fans on our side think of the bowl game, most are predicting a win(admittedly most don't know anything about Kent State and are pretty ignorant about our chances). I expect a good game.

Congrats! And look forward to friendly chat about the game if anyone is interested!

Go Aggies!
12-16-2019 03:08 PM
rbwlsn Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Utah State
The game record shows KSU and USU 1-1 after two games in the 70's with each team winning on the road. I was privileged to attend both games. But KSU scored a major victory over USU in the 60's when Jim Corrigall made a last minute decision to attend Kent State and not USU. There was no national LOI in those days. Without question Jim has to be among the top 5 or so players never to have played at USU ranking along with O.J. Simpson who the Aggies recruited believe it or not. I'm happy that everything turned out well for him at KSU. I knew him when I was a graduate student at the University of Toronto and encouraged him to go to USU.

This year the Aggies probably played their best game the first game against Wake Forest and would have likely won that game if they had made one more first down in the 4th quarter. Since then neither offense nor defense has played consistently well. Injuries have played a role but that's usually the case with every team. In USU's other losses - LSU, BYU, BSU, AF- game trends were established and obvious early by the play of the respective OL's and DL's. Something to look for Friday. From what I can gather about KSU, I expect a close competitive game.

Best wishes,

Bob Wilson, Pullman, WA USU'58
12-16-2019 04:48 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
Nice to see some Utah State fans especially since you are friendly. I have a great deal of respect for Utah State and am happy to have Kent play you in a bowl game though obviously I would like to have Kent win.
12-16-2019 05:14 PM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
(12-16-2019 03:08 PM)aceofspadeskb Wrote:  Utah State fan here. Thanks for the add. I'm not the troll type, just dropping in for some positive back and forth.

A bit about our team: Offense is down this year in spite of having a legitimate NFL bound QB at the helm. Jordan Love has had a pretty rough year behind a complete new offensive line and lack of height at WR outside the numbers. Having a rather short set of wide receivers has been the root cause of many of Love's multitude of interceptions this year. After a stellar season last year, watching the offense this year has been extremely frustrating to Aggie fans.

We're also under a new coaching staff after the previous staff left for Texas Tech. Head coach is Gary Andersen who is well known for his debacle at Oregon State, even throwing his assistants under the bus. However for the most part he was welcomed back to Utah State this year with open arms. His first stint here brought Utah State out of the dark ages football wise. Utah State went to only 2 bowl games from 1961-2010. Andersen turned the program around making back to back bowl trips in 2011-12 before leaving for the head coaching job at Wisconsin. 2016 was our lone losing season since the turnaround in 2011.

On the defensive side of the ball we are mediocre at best. The new coaching staff switched our base defense from a 3-4 to a 4-2-5, even though it's blatantly obvious we don't have the players to run the new system. Again, frustrating for us Aggie fans.

As far as what fans on our side think of the bowl game, most are predicting a win(admittedly most don't know anything about Kent State and are pretty ignorant about our chances). I expect a good game.

Congrats! And look forward to friendly chat about the game if anyone is interested!

Go Aggies!

I'm glad to hear your offense struggles... Because our defensive is lousy at tackling. You can expect a 30 or 40-yard run each quarter.
12-16-2019 08:14 PM
aceofspadeskb Offline
Water Engineer

(12-16-2019 08:14 PM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  
(12-16-2019 03:08 PM)aceofspadeskb Wrote:  Utah State fan here. Thanks for the add. I'm not the troll type, just dropping in for some positive back and forth.

Go Aggies!

I'm glad to hear your offense struggles... Because our defensive is lousy at tackling. You can expect a 30 or 40-yard run each quarter.

Hopefully Gerald Bright has himself a day running the ball then. The more we are forced to pass, the worse we perform. We turn the ball over a lot in obvious passing downs.
12-17-2019 10:02 AM
MAC tOAMU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Northeast Ohio

12-17-2019 12:52 PM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
(12-17-2019 03:26 PM)thanksjim Wrote:  USU starting QB, WR and RB charged with pot over weekend, no word if suspensions will be handed out but Vegas is already drifting towards Kent.
12-17-2019 03:27 PM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
Several UT ST players including QB Jordan Love charged with possession of drugs. Status unknown.
12-17-2019 04:00 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

He better rescind his declaration for the draft then. Otherwise his stock is going to drop with the possibility of suspension.
12-17-2019 04:07 PM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
From the USU compliance page:

NCAA Bylaw 18.4.1.5: A student athlete who is found to have utilized a substance on the list of banned drugs, as set forth in 3.1.2.3.1, shall be declared ineligible for further participation in post-season and regular-season competition in accordance with the ineligibility provisions in 18.4.1.5.1. Further, a student athlete who tests positive will lose the equivalent of one season of eligibility in his or her sport.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2019 04:15 PM by thanksjim.)
12-17-2019 04:14 PM
aceofspadeskb Offline
Water Engineer

If anyone is interested in more conversation on the weed incident, here's our conversation on it. Aggies22 is our biggest insider. Another poster in the thread is immediate family of another starter on our team. Both seem to believe those involved will be playing.

https://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic...=4&t=51747
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2019 04:42 PM by aceofspadeskb.)
12-17-2019 04:41 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

It would seem that the question is not about the legality of weed and how it plays out in the courts, but whether the athletic department and/or football program have any rules about marijuana use. Then the question is if they do, whether they enforce their rules or look the other way because it’s star players and a bowl game. Some schools spare no one when it comes to team rules, and others enforce them depending on how important the players are.
12-17-2019 04:55 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

Game opened at USU -8 and went up as high as -9.5 last week (I placed my little wager on it at -9.5) and has dropped during last night from -7.5 to -5, and now in some places -4.5. Entertainment purposes only, of course!
12-17-2019 05:08 PM
aceofspadeskb Offline
Water Engineer

(12-17-2019 04:55 PM)axeme Wrote:  It would seem that the question is not about the legality of weed and how it plays out in the courts, but whether the athletic department and/or football program have any rules about marijuana use. Then the question is if they do, whether they enforce their rules or look the other way because it’s star players and a bowl game. Some schools spare no one when it comes to team rules, and others enforce them depending on how important the players are.

Historically speaking USU has worked on a 2 strike policy and this would be their first and only offense. They'll play. Everyone screws up. Hopefully they learn from it. It was especially bad for Love though...idiotic thing to do right before jumping to the NFL. No doubt this could hurt his draft stock.
12-17-2019 05:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.