Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

battle for the constitution
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
battle for the constitution
https://outline.com/7wrB79

How to revive Madison's Constitution.
Some good discussion on the problems of partisanship and how to solve them.

"...There are at least three kinds of solutions to the problems the Madisonian Constitution faces today. The first is to fix the extent to which websites and social media platforms have undermined public deliberation and discourse. But doing so runs into two challenges....

A second solution to the breaking down of the Madisonian Constitution may be found in one of the Constitution’s most important safeguards against the tyranny of the mob—the concept of federalism, or the relationship between the federal government and the states....

The third and most promising way to protect the fundamental ideals and objectives of the Madisonian Constitution is through constitutional education. The Framers believed that the fate of the republic depended on educating the citizenry. President George Washington urged Congress to create a national university in 1796. He declared, “A primary object of such a national institution should be the education of our youth in the science of government.” Drawing on his studies of ancient republics, which taught that broadly educating the citizenry was the best safeguard against “crafty and dangerous encroachments on the public liberty,” Madison favored having the rich subsidize education of the poor. He believed it was indispensable for combating factions. In defense of the Kentucky legislature’s “Plan of Education embracing every Class of Citizens,” Madison wrote in 1822, “A popular government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both.” Subsequently, John Quincy Adams, Henry Clay and Abraham Lincoln were among those who defended the broadening and deepening of public education at both the federal and local levels...."

This article is part of a series: https://www.theatlantic.com/projects/bat...stitution/
12-05-2019 09:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: battle for the constitution
Madison is my second least favorite founder. How about we battle for a Jeffersonian constitution instead?
12-06-2019 12:07 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(12-06-2019 12:07 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Madison is my second least favorite founder. How about we battle for a Jeffersonian constitution instead?

I presume you mean of the 7 main founders? I'm curious what order you rank them in - care to share?

I've never even thought of how I feel about them. It's like picking between Ruth, Mantle, Mays, Williams, Cy Young, and Walter Johnson. After Ruth/Washington as the obvious #1 greatest, it's hard to pick a second.
12-07-2019 12:28 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(12-07-2019 12:28 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(12-06-2019 12:07 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Madison is my second least favorite founder. How about we battle for a Jeffersonian constitution instead?

I presume you mean of the 7 main founders? I'm curious what order you rank them in - care to share?

I've never even thought of how I feel about them. It's like picking between Ruth, Mantle, Mays, Williams, Cy Young, and Walter Johnson. After Ruth/Washington as the obvious #1 greatest, it's hard to pick a second.

Not really. Washington, Franklin, Jefferson are my 1,2, 3.
12-11-2019 10:56 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Patrick Henry, George Clinton (aka Cato). Everybody else is at least two standard deviations worse.

To me the heart and soul of the ideas behind the American Revolution are best heard in the Anti-Federalist Papers. Without the Anti-Federalists there would be no Bill of Rights today.
12-12-2019 09:26 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Those papers are an inspiring read.

They are like garlic, sunlight and wooden stakes to modern day progressive vampires.
12-13-2019 04:46 PM
dcCid Offline
All American

I Root For: ACC, Big East
George Washington. He was a fellow Virginian and He left after two terms which helped eliminate the concept of a king and enabled the concept of democracy. The concept of reality then is much different than today.
01-23-2020 04:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.