Open TigerLinks

Ryan Silverfield
Bookmark and Share
UOFMGLENN Offline
The Grand Wazoo

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Ryan Silverfield
(12-05-2019 10:24 AM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  
(12-05-2019 10:22 AM)Tigeralum Wrote:  Just read Billy Napier bio, I sure hope he's on the list of replacements.

He is a good one. Great offensively. Young. Great recruiter. We shall see.
He would be a great hire if coach does leave but I hear Arkansas and Ole Piss are talking to him.
12-05-2019 10:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Tommy was great with Ripp's recruits
Gave the Tennessee game away, by not playing DeAngelo
12-05-2019 10:57 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(12-05-2019 10:28 AM)Stammers Wrote:  
(12-03-2019 02:00 AM)memtigbb Wrote:  
(12-03-2019 12:12 AM)DallasTiger Wrote:  
(12-02-2019 07:28 PM)MvETigers Wrote:  
(12-02-2019 07:23 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  His name keeps coming up but I hope we do the full search with the same firm that helped with Fuente and Norvell. He may still be the leading candidate, but let's do the search anyway.

Search firm didn't pick Norvell. It didn't pick Fuente either, he was just on the list.
Search firms don't pick people, they just expose those who are looking for new positions (under the radar) and can make recommendations. The final decision is always with the employer who conducts the job interview.
Yep, you would think that would be apparent, but I guess it needs to be pointed out.

What needs to be pointed out is that Fuente leaving was leaked on the 28th when we played SMU, it was officially announced on the 29th, and Norvell was hired on the 3rd. In between we also talked to Barry Odom, who was named as head coach at Missouri, also on December 3rd.

Fuente was ticked off because the week before SMU, he heard through the grapevine that we put out feelers, even though he hadn't told us that he was leaving for sure. The scope of the search was to talk to Odom and Norvell, vet Norvell and come to a deal; all of which happened very quickly.

Again, it needs to be pointed out that there was no search committee; certainly nothing even remotely resembling the process when Fuente was hired. The whole timeline between Fuente leaving and Norvell being hired was 6 days, and we had talked to Norvell and Odom before that. Neither had anything to do with a search committee.

Quote:Rest is history, firm was only used in this case to do background work and potential candidates if top guys didn't take the job

Griffin or Tiger87 and memtigbb...that is truly a tough call. I think I will go with Griffin on this one.

Yes, there was a firm. Contracted and paid at least $75k.

USA Today link, so you'll quit being wrong

The firm is undeniable. The only thing to discuss is how involved they were. My contention is that they vetted Norvell, Odom, and a few others. Norvell and Odom were suggested by Bowen, and they investigated a few more. Then they reported back to Bowen. Who reported to Rudd, Graf, and Martin. Who made the final decision.

That is the process and it's not much different from that used with Fuente. Vet, contact, prepare a report. Decide locally. That is the process we should also follow this time.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2019 06:36 PM by Tiger87.)
12-05-2019 06:33 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
(12-02-2019 07:28 PM)MvETigers Wrote:  
(12-02-2019 07:23 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  His name keeps coming up but I hope we do the full search with the same firm that helped with Fuente and Norvell. He may still be the leading candidate, but let's do the search anyway.

Search firm didn't pick Norvell. It didn't pick Fuente either, he was just on the list.
Search firms don't pick people, they just expose those who are looking for new positions (under the radar) and can make recommendations. The final decision is always with the employer who conducts the job interview.
Yep, you would think that would be apparent, but I guess it needs to be pointed out.

What needs to be pointed out is that Fuente leaving was leaked on the 28th when we played SMU, it was officially announced on the 29th, and Norvell was hired on the 3rd. In between we also talked to Barry Odom, who was named as head coach at Missouri, also on December 3rd.

Fuente was ticked off because the week before SMU, he heard through the grapevine that we put out feelers, even though he hadn't told us that he was leaving for sure. The scope of the search was to talk to Odom and Norvell, vet Norvell and come to a deal; all of which happened very quickly.

Again, it needs to be pointed out that there was no search committee; certainly nothing even remotely resembling the process when Fuente was hired. The whole timeline between Fuente leaving and Norvell being hired was 6 days, and we had talked to Norvell and Odom before that. Neither had anything to do with a search committee.

Quote:Rest is history, firm was only used in this case to do background work and potential candidates if top guys didn't take the job

Griffin or Tiger87 and memtigbb...that is truly a tough call. I think I will go with Griffin on this one.

Why would Fuente be pissed?
He had met with Bud Foster earlier in the season...to see how well they meshed on philosophies and such.
I mean if he was gonna leave us high and dry, why would he be upset that Memphis was also looking out for its own interests?
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2019 07:59 PM by EarthBoundMisfit.)
12-05-2019 07:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Crazier Offline
All American

Billy Napier sounds like an Ole Miss lock.
12-05-2019 08:18 PM
Crazier Offline
All American

(12-05-2019 06:44 AM)ImaTiger Wrote:  We have hired worse....

https://gotigersgo.com/mobile/staff.aspx?staff=219

READ THAT!!!!; I know I feel better.

Sounds like he would be homerun hire honestly.
12-05-2019 08:22 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-05-2019 06:33 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(12-02-2019 07:28 PM)MvETigers Wrote:  Search firm didn't pick Norvell. It didn't pick Fuente either, he was just on the list.

Yes, there was a firm. Contracted and paid at least $75k.

The firm is undeniable. The only thing to discuss is how involved they were. My contention is that they vetted Norvell, Odom, and a few others. Norvell and Odom were suggested by Bowen, and they investigated a few more. Then they reported back to Bowen. Who reported to Rudd, Graf, and Martin. Who made the final decision.

That is the process and it's not much different from that used with Fuente. Vet, contact, prepare a report. Decide locally. That is the process we should also follow this time.

The firm was hired on November 29th, and Rudd tweeted on December 3rd that we had hired a coach. Assuming that the deal was done on the 2nd, that meant that the work was done over a 3 day period. You are saying that they identified candidates, presented them to us, and we interviewed them all in a 3 day period? That's impossible.

As is common knowledge, it was believed that Odom was the popular choice, but the school had identified and wanted Rudd, from Fuente visiting with him.

Larry Porter was fired November 27th and we hired Fuente on December 8th. We interviewed a few candidates and the search took 12 days whereas the Norvell search was Odom, Norvell and took 5 days.

One was a true search which identified different candidates and interviewed different candidates. The other was a glorified credit and reference check on Odom and Norvell. Big difference.
12-05-2019 09:11 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-05-2019 07:54 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(12-02-2019 07:28 PM)MvETigers Wrote:  Search firm didn't pick Norvell. It didn't pick Fuente either, he was just on the list.

He had met with Bud Foster earlier in the season...to see how well they meshed on philosophies and such.
I mean if he was gonna leave us high and dry, why would he be upset that Memphis was also looking out for its own interests?

Because we started putting out feelers before he actually resigned. Right or wrong of him, that is what a lot of us were told.
12-05-2019 09:12 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-05-2019 09:11 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(12-05-2019 06:33 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Yes, there was a firm. Contracted and paid at least $75k.

The firm was hired on November 29th, and Rudd tweeted on December 3rd that we had hired a coach. Assuming that the deal was done on the 2nd, that meant that the work was done over a 3 day period. You are saying that they identified candidates, presented them to us, and we interviewed them all in a 3 day period? That's impossible.

As is common knowledge, it was believed that Odom was the popular choice, but the school had identified and wanted Rudd, from Fuente visiting with him.

Larry Porter was fired November 27th and we hired Fuente on December 8th. We interviewed a few candidates and the search took 12 days whereas the Norvell search was Odom, Norvell and took 5 days.

One was a true search which identified different candidates and interviewed different candidates. The other was a glorified credit and reference check on Odom and Norvell. Big difference.

Why do you think the search only took 5 days? Do you really think Rudd/Bowen didn't start until it was announced on 11/28 (which is 6 days until the 12/3 announcement, BTW)? For that matter, do you really think they didn't start the search for Porter's replacement before the firing on 11/27?

These things started weeks before. Just like there were things taking place last week, although an announcement won't be made until 12/7 at the earliest. And THAT is the benefit to using the E&B firm.

The facts common to both searches are:
E&B was contracted during the hirings of Fuente and Norvell.
Fuente and Norvell were NOT publicly known, obvious candidates. Their names didn't surface in the media until late in the process.
Fuente and Norvell were highly accomplished and widely sought-after OCs, with lots of options on the table.
Brad Martin and Alan Graf were involved in both hirings.

It's true that Bowen and Rudd were not here for Fuente. So the Pres and AD took a more active role in the hiring of Norvell than the previous admin with Fuente. So maybe that is the angle that you're coming from. But that does not lessen the initial search process that E&B conducted in both cases.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2019 12:21 PM by Tiger87.)
12-06-2019 12:19 PM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

(12-05-2019 09:12 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(12-05-2019 07:54 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(12-03-2019 12:12 AM)DallasTiger Wrote:  Search firms don't pick people, they just expose those who are looking for new positions (under the radar) and can make recommendations. The final decision is always with the employer who conducts the job interview.

Because we started putting out feelers before he actually resigned. Right or wrong of him, that is what a lot of us were told.

Putting out feelers was the smart thing to do. After all, Fuente may not have *resigned* yet, but he did screw the season by leaving the week of the biggest game of our undefeated season to travel to VaTech. (Week of the Navy game.)
He then does it again a week or so later to meet with Bud Foster, because he's told that he's not getting the job unless he keeps Foster. Fuente had given all indications that he would torch a season and burn rubber to get out of here.
12-06-2019 03:33 PM
danny1 Offline
All American

(12-05-2019 09:31 AM)TIGERBUDDY Wrote:  
(12-02-2019 07:23 PM)danny1 Wrote:  Love Coach Silverfield. Great guy, great coach, great recruiter. My only question - has he been a full fledged coordinator? I don’t know what an assistant head coach or deputy head coach do in terms of responsibilities.

If he has enough experience that translates, my choice would be Silverfield or Chip Long. That said, I trust our president, AD, and others to make another great hire. Hope Mike stays!
03-hissyfit If Mike leaves then wouldn't he just take Silverfield with him?

Not if Silverfield is offered the head coaching job - duh!
12-06-2019 04:54 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-06-2019 12:19 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(12-05-2019 06:33 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Yes, there was a firm. Contracted and paid at least $75k.

Why do you think the search only took 5 days? Do you really think Rudd/Bowen didn't start until it was announced on 11/28 (which is 6 days until the 12/3 announcement, BTW)? For that matter, do you really think they didn't start the search for Porter's replacement before the firing on 11/27?

These things started weeks before. Just like there were things taking place last week, although an announcement won't be made until 12/7 at the earliest. And THAT is the benefit to using the E&B firm.

Fuente and Norvell were NOT publicly known, obvious candidates. Their names didn't surface in the media until late in the process.
Fuente and Norvell were highly accomplished and widely sought-after OCs, with lots of options on the table.

It's true that Bowen and Rudd were not here for Fuente. So the Pres and AD took a more active role in the hiring of Norvell than the previous admin with Fuente. So maybe that is the angle that you're coming from. But that does not lessen the initial search process that E&B conducted in both cases.

LMAO, now it's the initial search process? The search only took 4 days because we knew before Fuente left that it was going to be either Norvell or Odom, the same way that if Silverfield gets the job, it will also be announced quickly.

It was announced on the 29th and that is when we hired the firm. Hopefully, you aren't suggesting that they were working for us for free before we hired them, but I wouldn't put it past you. The firm worked for us for 10 days when we hired Fuente and we interviewed McElwain and others in person.

When we hired Norvell, him and Odom were the only 2 candidates. From the 29th to the 2nd is 4 days, and Rudd announced that we had hired someone on the 3rd. The search didn't last long enough to gauge any other candidates seriously, and the obvious truth (which you are stubbornly refusing to believe) is that Norvell and Odom were identified early, and were the only two serious candidates. If others were serious, we would have taken more time to interview them. We didn't.

So you are free to say that we held any kind of significant search when from Fuente accepting the job on the 29th, Odom and Norvell being interviewed and vetted, and a deal reached with Norvell in 4 days; then go crazy, make yourself happy.

Common sense says otherwise.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2019 05:22 PM by Stammers.)
12-06-2019 05:20 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-06-2019 03:37 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  There is more than one way to view and interpret how Fuente left and Norvell happened.

And they are mostly a function of personal preference.

Not really. Fuente and the staff visited Arizona State and we went on record saying that Norvell was always the guy we wanted. I hopefully, will be able to find a link to it.

Nobody knew that Norvell was on the radar. The search was either him or Odom and there wasn't a single mention of Norvell as a candidate whatsoever.
12-06-2019 05:25 PM
Gen3Tiger Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UOM
(12-02-2019 11:37 PM)450bench Wrote:  I just don't think Norvell is going anywhere...

Norvell will be named coach at FSU by the end of the game Saturday if not during it. Silverfield or Chip Long will be strong candidates.
12-06-2019 05:32 PM
griffin Offline
All American

(12-06-2019 05:25 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(12-06-2019 03:37 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  There is more than one way to view and interpret how Fuente left and Norvell happened.

And they are mostly a function of personal preference.

Not really. Fuente and the staff visited Arizona State and we went on record saying that Norvell was always the guy we wanted. I hopefully, will be able to find a link to it.

Nobody knew that Norvell was on the radar. The search was either him or Odom and there wasn't a single mention of Norvell as a candidate whatsoever.

Stammers is very accurate.

Norvell was the main candidate as stated and it worked to perfection to get him on board. This is not an opinion or guessing it is from MN and TB.
12-06-2019 05:39 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-06-2019 12:19 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  

Quote:At Norvell’s introductory press conference, I asked Rudd how long it took him to know Norvell was the guy.

"About five minutes," he said. "I’m not joking. We certainly did a thorough vetting, and a detailed background study, so don’t misperceive that, but five minutes in, I knew this was our guy."

The link I was looking for, but couldn't find. Conveniently, brought up by Calkins today.
12-08-2019 01:46 PM
BigTigerMike Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
12-08-2019 02:45 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-08-2019 02:45 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  

YES!!!
12-08-2019 02:49 PM
bluecrew Offline
1st String

I Root For: A stable conference
(12-08-2019 02:45 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  

YES!!!! We need to be talking all month how he was so involved in everything, make him the new head coach, and keep the train moving!
12-08-2019 03:11 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

Hiring RS seems to make too much sense
12-08-2019 03:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.