Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

When are Iowa, Nebraska, & Illinois going to get off the Schneid and add Hockey?
Bookmark and Share
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
When are Iowa, Nebraska, & Illinois going to get off the Schneid and add Hockey?
I have said in the past and still maintain that the B1G hockey Conference needs to add North Dakota and Minnesota Duluth. Should that transpire the B1G would be sitting at 9 but something far more valuable would have occured. Namely that the old guard fans for Minnesota and Wisconsin will get back there most cherished rivals and public sentiment in Minnesota would turn in favor of the B1G. Minnesota in my opinion is the key to turning the conference from an also run conference into what the ACC is to Lacrosse. The state of Minnesota has more talent, fans, tradition, and media coverage on the college level than the rest of the B1G states COMBINED!!! If the Big Ten is to become a monster in hockey we can't do it without support in Minnesota.

Now onto filling out the conference to 12 you could go bananas and try to lure the remaining Minnesota schools (St Cloud, Mankato, and Bemidji) not a bad idea if no other B1G schools plan on adding the sport. However, should the schools that have been rumored to have interest/capability to start a program actually start there program then you'd have a too-big unwieldy conference.

Those programs most spoken about are Iowa, Nebraska, and Illinois. I have seen little by way of progress in the past few years other than some studies commissioned by Illinois. Hockey is one of those sports that can actually turn a profit at places like Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota. And with the Fox RSNs and BigTenNetwork you could almost guarantee being one on the most visible programs in the country from day 1. Penn State had a huge benefactor but they still showed how to get a program going and have profitability from day 1 if you do it right.

East...........................West
Penn St..................... Nebraska
Ohio St....................... Iowa
Michigan....................Minnesota
Michigan St..............North Dakota
Notre Dame.............. Minnesota Duluth
Illinois....................... Wisconsin
11-28-2019 02:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
RE: When are Iowa, Nebraska, & Illinois going to get off the Schneid and add Hockey?
I'm not crazy about adding any more hockey-only members. Notre Dame is a special case that nobody else can match. I think Arizona State would have been a good addition but they were passed over. Johns Hopkins in lacrosse is another special case but they are only a temporary member that needs renewed. Is Minnesota Duluth or North Dakota on their level? I would say North Dakota isn't and Minnesota Duluth might be athletically but not academically.

Existing members need to get their crap together and finance a team. Illinois, looking at you. What do you provide for the conference? You're getting an equal share of the money but pulling one of the least amount of weight. Do the conference a solid and invest in hockey.
11-28-2019 04:11 PM
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

RE: When are Iowa, Nebraska, & Illinois going to get off the Schneid and add Hockey?
(11-28-2019 04:11 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I'm not crazy about adding any more hockey-only members. Notre Dame is a special case that nobody else can match. I think Arizona State would have been a good addition but they were passed over. Johns Hopkins in lacrosse is another special case but they are only a temporary member that needs renewed. Is Minnesota Duluth or North Dakota on their level? I would say North Dakota isn't and Minnesota Duluth might be athletically but not academically.

Existing members need to get their crap together and finance a team. Illinois, looking at you. What do you provide for the conference? You're getting an equal share of the money but pulling one of the least amount of weight. Do the conference a solid and invest in hockey.

You can't lose the war over a battle. The war is the Pinnacle of College Hockey. For the B1G the object is capturing the eye of Minnesota in a positive light.

We were arrogant when we started the B1G and didn't truly understand or respect the delicacy of college hockey. My goal in adding North Dakota and Duluth is to right the wrong of destroying Minnesota's hockey homeostasis, their fanbase, and their rivalries. And it's not like you're adding scrubs... these are legit hockey schools!
11-28-2019 06:47 PM
GE and MTS Offline

(11-28-2019 06:47 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  
(11-28-2019 04:11 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I'm not crazy about adding any more hockey-only members. Notre Dame is a special case that nobody else can match. I think Arizona State would have been a good addition but they were passed over. Johns Hopkins in lacrosse is another special case but they are only a temporary member that needs renewed. Is Minnesota Duluth or North Dakota on their level? I would say North Dakota isn't and Minnesota Duluth might be athletically but not academically.

You can't lose the war over a battle. The war is the Pinnacle of College Hockey. For the B1G the object is capturing the eye of Minnesota in a positive light.

We were arrogant when we started the B1G and didn't truly understand or respect the delicacy of college hockey. My goal in adding North Dakota and Duluth is to right the wrong of destroying Minnesota's hockey homeostasis, their fanbase, and their rivalries. And it's not like you're adding scrubs... these are legit hockey schools!

Minnesota needs to suck it up, buttercup or they can head out and join the AAC or whatever they can get. It's hockey. Football is 80% of the media revenue with men's basketball being 20%.

Minnesota is 8th in the WSJ valuation of Big Ten football programs. https://csnbbs.com/thread-869587.html

Minnesota is 8th in total revenue. https://csnbbs.com/thread-871659.html

Minnesota was 11th in the conference in football attendance last year. https://csnbbs.com/thread-873579.html

They are costing the rest of the conference money by being below average in the sport that matters most. Hopefully this season gets them moving in the right direction. But by being a "taker" in football, they don't have much of a leg to stand on to make demands in hockey.

Minnesota Duluth and North Dakota are fine hockey schools but they don't help the Big Ten brand on a bigger level than a Notre Dame or Johns Hopkins. Minnesota can play them in non-conference or make stronger rivals with Wisconsin and other Big Ten schools. The conference needs to use their financial benefits to our advantage.
11-28-2019 09:51 PM
Advertisement

Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

That is a complete non sequitur. We are talking exclusively about hockey and you're running all of these football numbers. Minnesota is hockey country dude. You've got like 1 FBS football school, 1 division I basketball school, and 5 division I hockey schools.

https://www.gopherpucklive.com/minnesota...y-revenue/

These numbers are a little dated but they clearly show a few schools do actually make a profit in hockey. Minnesota used to be king but their attendance has been terrible by their standards since the creation of the B1G hockey conference. The whole of my argument is based around what is best for Minnesota hockey not conflating football revenue and attendance with hockey.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019 10:35 PM by Big Ron Buckeye.)
11-28-2019 10:34 PM
GE and MTS Offline

(11-28-2019 10:34 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  That is a complete non sequitur. We are talking exclusively about hockey and you're running all of these football numbers. Minnesota is hockey country dude. You've got like 1 FBS football school, 1 division I basketball school, and 5 division I hockey schools.

These numbers are a little dated but they clearly show a few schools do actually make a profit in hockey. Minnesota used to be king but their attendance has been terrible by their standards since the creation of the B1G hockey conference. The whole of my argument is based around what is best for Minnesota hockey not conflating football revenue and attendance with hockey.

Why is Minnesota so reliant on Minnesota Duluth and North Dakota? Why can't they play them non-conference every year? Why is it so important that the Big Ten be the best hockey conference? I see it as an inevitability as long as the conference keeps getting massive payouts in media money compared to the other powers in the sport.

Maybe put another way, would we consider a football-only invitation to Boise State? Or maybe a better hypothetical, would we consider a football-only invitation to some combination of Houston, Rice, and/or SMU so that former football juggernaut Nebraska could get back into Texas and hopefully thrive? Granted, those Texas schools aren't equal in football to Minnesota Duluth in hockey but the idea is the same. Or maybe Nebraska needs to get their crap together and fix themselves instead of relying on the rest of the conference to do it for them.
11-29-2019 10:02 AM
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

(11-29-2019 10:02 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  
(11-28-2019 10:34 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  That is a complete non sequitur. We are talking exclusively about hockey and you're running all of these football numbers. Minnesota is hockey country dude. You've got like 1 FBS football school, 1 division I basketball school, and 5 division I hockey schools.

Why is Minnesota so reliant on Minnesota Duluth and North Dakota? Why can't they play them non-conference every year? Why is it so important that the Big Ten be the best hockey conference? I see it as an inevitability as long as the conference keeps getting massive payouts in media money compared to the other powers in the sport.

Maybe put another way, would we consider a football-only invitation to Boise State? Or maybe a better hypothetical, would we consider a football-only invitation to some combination of Houston, Rice, and/or SMU so that former football juggernaut Nebraska could get back into Texas and hopefully thrive? Granted, those Texas schools aren't equal in football to Minnesota Duluth in hockey but the idea is the same. Or maybe Nebraska needs to get their crap together and fix themselves instead of relying on the rest of the conference to do it for them.

It's not that Minnesota is reliant on Duluth and North Dakota. It's more akin to Ohio State not playing Michigan and Penn State. Fans would be justified to be upset about a lesser schedule, and to the surprise of absolutely no one Minnesota fans are pissed that they lost ALL of their rivals save Wisconsin. Again the reason for adding North Dakota and Duluth is to win back over the State of Minnesota. I think it would be Overkill but I'd even be willing to add Bemidji, Mankato, & St. Cloud to get all 5 Minnesota schools into the conference. Granted that works better if no other Big Ten schools add hockey. In that scenario the West would basically be North Dakota plus the Minnesota schools and everyone else would be in the East. I'm sure Minnesota would be happy with that but again it might be Overkill if any other B1G schools add hockey.

As far as your ideas of adding more football schools just because...I think we would if they had the equivalent pedigree of North Dakota and Duluth. You must also understand that the equivalent would be in the neighborhood of Texas, Florida, Notre Dame, & Oklahoma... That's what North Dakota and Duluth are to hockey. You throwing out SMU and Boise is not an appropriate comparison.
11-29-2019 06:27 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
The rest of the league needs to step it up in men’s hockey and lacrosse.
12-01-2019 05:05 PM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G

Your argument of Boise St. doesn't even make sense. The UH, Rice and SMU is a bad one also.

Now if it takes the B1G adding Houston and TT to get OU & UT in football, the B1G better do that in a heartbeat. Or any other 2 regional partners UT wanted, the league better do it no matter what.
12-03-2019 01:03 PM
GE and MTS Offline

(12-03-2019 01:03 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  

Your argument of Boise St. doesn't even make sense. The UH, Rice and SMU is a bad one also.

Now if it takes the B1G adding Houston and TT to get OU & UT in football, the B1G better do that in a heartbeat. Or any other 2 regional partners UT wanted, the league better do it no matter what.

Like Minnesota Duluth and North Dakota in hockey, Boise State has a rich football history that would be an addition to the conference. The argument being made is that Minnesota (and to a lesser extent, Wisconsin) needs help in hockey. Also the state of Minnesota is a hockey crazy state that must be dominated by the Big Ten to be the prominent hockey conference and adding the two aforementioned schools would potentially lock down the state. Nebraska football, like Minnesota hockey, is a down king that needs reawakened. Adding schools for football only in the top football crazed state (Texas) would massively benefit Nebraska like Minnesota Duluth and North Dakota would do for Minnesota in hockey.
12-03-2019 08:39 PM
Advertisement

Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

(12-03-2019 08:39 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  

Like Minnesota Duluth and North Dakota in hockey, Boise State has a rich football history that would be an addition to the conference. The argument being made is that Minnesota (and to a lesser extent, Wisconsin) needs help in hockey. Also the state of Minnesota is a hockey crazy state that must be dominated by the Big Ten to be the prominent hockey conference and adding the two aforementioned schools would potentially lock down the state. Nebraska football, like Minnesota hockey, is a down king that needs reawakened. Adding schools for football only in the top football crazed state (Texas) would massively benefit Nebraska like Minnesota Duluth and North Dakota would do for Minnesota in hockey.

Who does Boise St. help? adding schools in Texas that are barely G5 schools doesn't help Nebraska or any other B1G school recruit Texas. You have to have the exposure of one of the two major brands to do that.
12-04-2019 02:58 AM
GE and MTS Offline

(12-04-2019 02:58 AM)Win5002 Wrote:  

Who does Boise St. help? adding schools in Texas that are barely G5 schools doesn't help Nebraska or any other B1G school recruit Texas. You have to have the exposure of one of the two major brands to do that.

That's exactly my point. It doesn't make sense to add those schools like it doesn't make sense to add Minnesota Duluth and North Dakota.
12-04-2019 06:49 AM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

(12-04-2019 06:49 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  
(12-04-2019 02:58 AM)Win5002 Wrote:  
(11-29-2019 10:02 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  Why is Minnesota so reliant on Minnesota Duluth and North Dakota? Why can't they play them non-conference every year? Why is it so important that the Big Ten be the best hockey conference? I see it as an inevitability as long as the conference keeps getting massive payouts in media money compared to the other powers in the sport.

That's exactly my point. It doesn't make sense to add those schools like it doesn't make sense to add Minnesota Duluth and North Dakota.

Maybe I'm wrong because I don't watch any college hockey, but I think the OP is pointing out those are important schools in hockey. If not it might be more akin to Texas having a couple of regional schools in the B1G to make it more palatable even though Minnesota wouldn't leave over hockey.
12-04-2019 03:26 PM
CoastalVANDAL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Idaho
Looking at the list Boston U looks like the best addition.
B1G network adding Boston subscribers .

Followed by Omaha since they would take Nebraska's spot for them.
Nebraska's arena does have ice making capabilities built in.
12-06-2019 06:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.