Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Deja Vu
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Deja Vu
Seeing yesterday's attendance in the paper today (783), brought back memories of when I first moved to Little Rock in 1982 and couldn't believe Little Rock had a DI team drawing "crowds" in the hundreds. While we likely have had some smaller crowds, I can't remember an announced attendance in Little Rock(other than ice-storm games), below 1000 in over 35 years. I do recall drawing slightly over 100 in Pine Bluff in Newell's first or second season. Regardless it is a sad commentary on sports "fans" in Little Rock. We have a "name" coach, who anyone with any interest in basketball has heard of and some exciting young players. If healthy we have the potential to have really good team. I know we can come up with a lot of excuses for the pitiful attendance this week, but it still sucks for the team and us few die-hard fans.
11-27-2019 02:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
RE: Deja Vu
(11-27-2019 02:05 PM)mjs Wrote:  Seeing yesterday's attendance in the paper today (783), brought back memories of when I first moved to Little Rock in 1982 and couldn't believe Little Rock had a DI team drawing "crowds" in the hundreds. While we likely have had some smaller crowds, I can't remember an announced attendance in Little Rock(other than ice-storm games), below 1000 in over 35 years. I do recall drawing slightly over 100 in Pine Bluff in Newell's first or second season. Regardless it is a sad commentary on sports "fans" in Little Rock. We have a "name" coach, who anyone with any interest in basketball has heard of and some exciting young players. If healthy we have the potential to have really good team. I know we can come up with a lot of excuses for the pitiful attendance this week, but it still sucks for the team and us few die-hard fans.

I thought that attendance figure was probably missing a digit in front of the 783 when I saw it in the paper this morning. Then I saw some of the highlight video on Facebook and realized that the figure was not a misprint. Hard to accept and sad, especially for us old timers who lived through attendance like last night's 40 years ago.
11-27-2019 04:39 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(11-27-2019 04:39 PM)PTJR Wrote:  
(11-27-2019 02:05 PM)mjs Wrote:  Seeing yesterday's attendance in the paper today (783), brought back memories of when I first moved to Little Rock in 1982 and couldn't believe Little Rock had a DI team drawing "crowds" in the hundreds. While we likely have had some smaller crowds, I can't remember an announced attendance in Little Rock(other than ice-storm games), below 1000 in over 35 years. I do recall drawing slightly over 100 in Pine Bluff in Newell's first or second season. Regardless it is a sad commentary on sports "fans" in Little Rock. We have a "name" coach, who anyone with any interest in basketball has heard of and some exciting young players. If healthy we have the potential to have really good team. I know we can come up with a lot of excuses for the pitiful attendance this week, but it still sucks for the team and us few die-hard fans.

I thought that attendance figure was probably missing a digit in front of the 783 when I saw it in the paper this morning. Then I saw some of the highlight video on Facebook and realized that the figure was not a misprint. Hard to accept and sad, especially for us old timers who lived through attendance like last night's 40 years ago.

And I am afraid tonight will be worse. While some folks left early, every other regular attendee or student who is going out of town for Thanksgiving is leaving today. On the other hand, tomorrow is a holiday, for just about everyone, so in most places it is a perfect night to take the family out to a game. But, likely not in Little Rock.
11-27-2019 05:21 PM
Karl B Offline
1st String

I Root For: UALR , Ark Tech
Last night was the smallest crowd I have ever witnessed and like you, I fear less than 500 for tonight’s game. But just for arguments sake, I have not seen Darrell doing anything to spur attendance. Has he been on the radio or doing anything to drum up interest to anyone’s knowledge? I am from out of the LR area so I could be unaware.
11-27-2019 06:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.