ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021

Teammate of Jadin Johnson and we recently offered him, as have Loyola, UW-Milwaukee, Central Michigan, NIU, Albany and Illinois State. Not sure if we’re still after him, after landing Smith.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2021 09:59 AM by Monarchist13.)
04-10-2021 09:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mac Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(04-10-2021 09:59 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Teammate of Jadin Johnson and we recently offered him, as have Loyola, UW-Milwaukee, Central Michigan, NIU, Albany and Illinois State. Not sure if we’re still after him, after landing Smith.

Is he a stretch forward type? That seems to be the type Jones is looking for I think. Although thinking about this, think they want a transfer or Juco for that spot so they could help right away.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2021 01:07 PM by mac.)
04-10-2021 12:25 PM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(04-09-2021 10:28 PM)Monarch Pride Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 02:53 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(03-29-2021 10:18 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(03-29-2021 09:42 AM)EverydayInVA Wrote:  Feel free to blame Wood Selig for making a rash decision and Joining CUSA, because playing Florida Mid Atlantic Community College and Texas Agricultural Southwestern Studies University on Stadium network is such a great recruiting tool. Then playing your Conference Tourney halfway across the country in a AAU format for a channel only streamed on the internet helps too.

The last time I made this point, I was called a Jeff Jones apologist. Lol

Wood and JJ and staff need to go, if the new president wants ODU on any kind of map moving forward! I forgive Wood for signing JJ, but not for giving him a 5 year extension just because hi was winning 20 games in a weak league and OOC. Freeman (transfer) got us to the NIT semis, outside of that JJ was out of his league. Now us poor old fans, have to deal with mediocre or below until JJ decides to retire. Roy Williams was 70, when he know the game was no more fun. I hope the next BB coach is not up to Wood Selig. JJ was 10-21 the year Wood picked him to take us to the promise land. American does not play in a large league and basketball is not that important. I feel sure 18 years there, they were content. With the largest fan base in the C-USA 8k, our fans deserve better. At this point I don't think ODU could go to a higher league or get a good coach.

Solid content, but ****** grammar. Did you pass the exit writing exam?

They got rid of the exit exam. You no longer need to prove you can write a 5 paragraph argumentative essay.
04-10-2021 02:00 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(04-10-2021 02:00 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  
(03-29-2021 09:42 AM)EverydayInVA Wrote:  Feel free to blame Wood Selig for making a rash decision and Joining CUSA, because playing Florida Mid Atlantic Community College and Texas Agricultural Southwestern Studies University on Stadium network is such a great recruiting tool. Then playing your Conference Tourney halfway across the country in a AAU format for a channel only streamed on the internet helps too.

Wood and JJ and staff need to go, if the new president wants ODU on any kind of map moving forward! I forgive Wood for signing JJ, but not for giving him a 5 year extension just because hi was winning 20 games in a weak league and OOC. Freeman (transfer) got us to the NIT semis, outside of that JJ was out of his league. Now us poor old fans, have to deal with mediocre or below until JJ decides to retire. Roy Williams was 70, when he know the game was no more fun. I hope the next BB coach is not up to Wood Selig. JJ was 10-21 the year Wood picked him to take us to the promise land. American does not play in a large league and basketball is not that important. I feel sure 18 years there, they were content. With the largest fan base in the C-USA 8k, our fans deserve better. At this point I don't think ODU could go to a higher league or get a good coach.

They got rid of the exit exam. You no longer need to prove you can write a 5 paragraph argumentative essay.

Great Job JJ, now Saint Thomas (3 star) ODU was highly recruiting, is not going to ODU. Forget the promotion on previous post. He is to good to come here, even though we got his team mate . Not many good player's are a good fit for JJ!
04-13-2021 05:36 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Did they really? Darn shame. There’s no essay requirement to apply either. Cmon people. We need some standards. I don’t mind being a college for B students, but we have to graduate smart, capable ones that can write proper English. Not saying we aren’t, but it’s good to check. Our grads are our brand reputation.
04-13-2021 07:25 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Looks like Saint Thomas to Loyola.
04-13-2021 07:31 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(04-13-2021 07:25 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(03-29-2021 10:18 AM)odu09 Wrote:  The last time I made this point, I was called a Jeff Jones apologist. Lol

Did they really? Darn shame. There’s no essay requirement to apply either. Cmon people. We need some standards. I don’t mind being a college for B students, but we have to graduate smart, capable ones that can write proper English. Not saying we aren’t, but it’s good to check. Our grads are our brand reputation.

This is a basketball subject. I didn't say I was a great writer, but you got the subject matter and that is really, the main concern. The board did not say, you had to be a college grad, to express your opinion. Go back to your JJ fan club. I take it that you are to young, to remember the good days of basketball at ODU. If the grammar is so bad, then just skip over the thread. JJ still lost another top recruit. After 8 years this is getting old.
04-13-2021 09:30 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(04-13-2021 09:30 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 02:53 PM)bluelight Wrote:  Wood and JJ and staff need to go, if the new president wants ODU on any kind of map moving forward! I forgive Wood for signing JJ, but not for giving him a 5 year extension just because hi was winning 20 games in a weak league and OOC. Freeman (transfer) got us to the NIT semis, outside of that JJ was out of his league. Now us poor old fans, have to deal with mediocre or below until JJ decides to retire. Roy Williams was 70, when he know the game was no more fun. I hope the next BB coach is not up to Wood Selig. JJ was 10-21 the year Wood picked him to take us to the promise land. American does not play in a large league and basketball is not that important. I feel sure 18 years there, they were content. With the largest fan base in the C-USA 8k, our fans deserve better. At this point I don't think ODU could go to a higher league or get a good coach.

This is a basketball subject. I didn't say I was a great writer, but you got the subject matter and that is really, the main concern. The board did not say, you had to be a college grad, to express your opinion. Go back to your JJ fan club. I take it that you are to young, to remember the good days of basketball at ODU. If the grammar is so bad, then just skip over the thread. JJ still lost another top recruit. After 8 years this is getting old.

Once we got Charles Smith, landing Thomas would have been redundant. But go off or whatever.
04-13-2021 10:20 PM
mac Offline
All American

(04-13-2021 10:20 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(04-09-2021 10:28 PM)Monarch Pride Wrote:  Solid content, but ****** grammar. Did you pass the exit writing exam?

Once we got Charles Smith, landing Thomas would have been redundant. But go off or whatever.

We are gonna get a grad transfer or Juco to replace our forward who left. No surprise to me not going the freshman route. We have several of those coming in already.
04-14-2021 05:27 AM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

Wonder if recruiting staff in most sports send a follow up email to recruits who commit elsewhere asking for info on why they did not choose us?
Congratulate them, let them know if their plans change to let us know, etc.
04-14-2021 06:08 AM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

Probably done in the phone call where said recruit tells the coaches of his or her decision. That assumes kids still do that kind of thing.

Sent from my SM-G986U using CSNbbs mobile app
04-14-2021 06:54 AM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

(04-14-2021 05:27 AM)mac Wrote:  
(04-10-2021 02:00 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  They got rid of the exit exam. You no longer need to prove you can write a 5 paragraph argumentative essay.

We are gonna get a grad transfer or Juco to replace our forward who left. No surprise to me not going the freshman route. We have several of those coming in already.
You know this for fact, or just assuming?

04-14-2021 06:55 AM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021
(04-09-2021 06:40 PM)FearTheLion Wrote:  The NCAA doesn't really have the power. They are going with the sentiment of America's most powerful athletics departments to remain in power. But they really do not control this. If ESPN decides to collude with 60 or so presidents like they did for football, the NCAA would have two choices: hold firm on old school principles and have your tournament become the NIT or roll with that TV money.

These changes are reactions, not leadership. I read people on here talking about 4 year players at ODU and often wonder whether folks really know where this is all going. In a few years, I'd wager that as many players are playing at 2+ universities as there are players doing the ole 4 year/possible redshirt deal. Guess we'll see if that affects these rabid crowds that folks seem to be reminiscing about.

So how do we get players to stay for 4 years, or at least more of them? Top mid-major talent doesn’t transfer to come here. We have to find it, develop it, and keep it. Otherwise the only way we are going to be able to compete out of conference is by dumb luck. As far as I can remember and I acknowledge I could be wrong, but since Kent Bazemore we have recruited exactly 1 player that has stayed for 4 years and developed him into an all-conference team. The other two all conference players were a coaches son and Trey Freeman, which falls under dumb luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-14-2021 07:05 AM
mac Offline
All American

(04-14-2021 06:55 AM)bench jockey Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 05:27 AM)mac Wrote:  
(04-13-2021 07:25 PM)monarx Wrote:  Did they really? Darn shame. There’s no essay requirement to apply either. Cmon people. We need some standards. I don’t mind being a college for B students, but we have to graduate smart, capable ones that can write proper English. Not saying we aren’t, but it’s good to check. Our grads are our brand reputation.

You know this for fact, or just assuming?

Oh I’m assuming for sure! I know squat, just seems to make sense to me.
04-14-2021 07:34 AM
mac Offline
All American

(04-14-2021 07:05 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(04-09-2021 06:40 PM)FearTheLion Wrote:  The NCAA doesn't really have the power. They are going with the sentiment of America's most powerful athletics departments to remain in power. But they really do not control this. If ESPN decides to collude with 60 or so presidents like they did for football, the NCAA would have two choices: hold firm on old school principles and have your tournament become the NIT or roll with that TV money.

These changes are reactions, not leadership. I read people on here talking about 4 year players at ODU and often wonder whether folks really know where this is all going. In a few years, I'd wager that as many players are playing at 2+ universities as there are players doing the ole 4 year/possible redshirt deal. Guess we'll see if that affects these rabid crowds that folks seem to be reminiscing about.

So how do we get players to stay for 4 years, or at least more of them? Top mid-major talent doesn’t transfer to come here. We have to find it, develop it, and keep it. Otherwise the only way we are going to be able to compete out of conference is by dumb luck. As far as I can remember and I acknowledge I could be wrong, but since Kent Bazemore we have recruited exactly 1 player that has stayed for 4 years and developed him into an all-conference team. The other two all conference players were a coaches son and Trey Freeman, which falls under dumb luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caver?
04-14-2021 07:36 AM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

Seems Caver came on board just beore the dam broke on this transfer business. If he signed today, I doubt seriously he'd still be here 4 years from now.
04-14-2021 08:16 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

We don't get less credit if the players are transfers, coaches sons, local kids, or 1 legged kids. People just want to find ways to criticize...whether it be too many guards or too few. Players that are too short or "we never recruit freshman big men... etc"

I do believe Aaron Bacote was an all conference player. Was Xavier Green as a soph?

We cant recruit mid major talent...what was Trey Porter?
04-14-2021 08:56 AM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
I would very much like to find out what we are doing with our one remaining scholarship. Seems like players are signing all over the place, but we are not hearing much of anything. Not even rumors. Are there still a significant number of players that could make a difference in the transfer portal? It feels like we get whatever is left over and we hope it works out, rather than getting the guy we want. It is the lack of information that is killing me.
04-14-2021 09:15 AM
Mo Blue Den You Offline
1st String

(04-14-2021 09:15 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  I would very much like to find out what we are doing with our one remaining scholarship. Seems like players are signing all over the place, but we are not hearing much of anything. Not even rumors. Are there still a significant number of players that could make a difference in the transfer portal? It feels like we get whatever is left over and we hope it works out, rather than getting the guy we want. It is the lack of information that is killing me.

I feel the exact same way about our situation. Feel like we are always stuck with the leftovers.
04-14-2021 09:50 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

Official.
04-14-2021 10:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.