Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

For the Cincinnati game...can we get pompoms???
Bookmark and Share
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
RE: For the Cincinnati game...can we get pompoms???
(11-07-2019 02:00 PM)TigersSpin Wrote:  
(11-07-2019 01:54 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  
(11-07-2019 01:52 PM)covingtontiger Wrote:  I'll agree to be the grammar-nazi in this case!(Google is your friend):

Why is it called pom pon?
Pom-pom is clearly an anglicized, misheard version of the correct word for what is properly called the pompon. ... Pompon is of French origin, meaning “ornamental tuft.”*** We, as we are wont to do as English speakers, added the word to our vocabulary because we have a long history of picking up words from other languages.

Anyway, they sell them at Tiger Bookstore.

I have seen the Pompons put out at Tiger basketball games. At most, they cover the seats in the lower bowl. I don't see anybody agreeing to buy 50-odd thousand for a Tiger football game. My guess is that this game will be strictly BYOPP.

fypp

2 : a handheld usually brightly colored fluffy ball flourished by cheerleaders

05-stirthepot

[Image: fullch_zps6trc8dec.jpg]
11-07-2019 02:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigergeorge55 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U OF M
Exclamation RE: For the Cincinnati game...can we get pompoms???
(11-07-2019 02:00 PM)TigersSpin Wrote:  
(11-07-2019 01:54 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  
(11-07-2019 01:52 PM)covingtontiger Wrote:  I'll agree to be the grammar-nazi in this case!(Google is your friend):

Why is it called pom pon?
Pom-pom is clearly an anglicized, misheard version of the correct word for what is properly called the pompon. ... Pompon is of French origin, meaning “ornamental tuft.”*** We, as we are wont to do as English speakers, added the word to our vocabulary because we have a long history of picking up words from other languages.

Anyway, they sell them at Tiger Bookstore.

I have seen the Pompons put out at Tiger basketball games. At most, they cover the seats in the lower bowl. I don't see anybody agreeing to buy 50-odd thousand for a Tiger football game. My guess is that this game will be strictly BYOPP.

fypp
A simple Google search will show you that.....

Pom-Pom is in the Merriam-Webster dictionary and is the accepted/popular term. So you aren't being the grammar police just a know it all.

Definition of pom-pom

(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : an ornamental ball or tuft used especially on clothing, caps, or costumes
2 : a handheld usually brightly colored fluffy ball flourished by cheerleaders

05-stirthepot
good job these professors humor me correcting everyone.
11-07-2019 02:21 PM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
Is this a legit question?

Loving me some SNOWTIGER right now. LOL
11-07-2019 02:24 PM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
(11-07-2019 01:17 PM)mairving Wrote:  
(11-06-2019 11:26 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  Gotta take care of business against Houston and USF. But man if Cincy and our Tigers win out. What a matchup again in the liberty bowl. I expect it will be a sell out again in a prime time slot.

The visual of 60,000 bright royal blue pompoms would look amazing. And it’s proven that pompoms or towels get and keep a crowd more engaged. Auburn comes to mind. They are great with this.

I’ll be in town for TG and plan on attending myself and am going to treat about 6 other family members to the game as well.

Can you provide a link to the study that says that Pom Poms keep the crowd more engaged?

11-07-2019 02:55 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
I think our money would be much better spent on buying 50k pompom crabs and turning them loose in the visitors' locker room.

Oh, or better yet - in the refs locker room.
11-07-2019 04:32 PM
MemLaw Offline
Water Engineer

Pom-poms, clackers, noise sticks (used to get those often), whatever. I'll donate to the noise maker fund. JUST BRING PEOPLE TO THE GAME.
11-07-2019 04:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nobody4Prez Offline
All American

White Pom pons would look great with everyone wearing Tiger blue
11-07-2019 08:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.