Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

##GCU vs Davenport - 11/5 7 pm AZ time##
Bookmark and Share
Country_Wisdom_359 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Lopes, Govs, Raiders
RE: ##GCU vs Davenport - 11/5 7 pm AZ time##
(11-06-2019 05:24 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  He is I think... but I would assume he is either a major project players or possibly injured. I would've thought with GCU's defensive and rebounding difficulties, Majerle would've put him in the game just to shake up things in the paint. He would've been like a bull in a china shop and he had 5 hard fouls to give. Majerle thinks too much like a pro coach. If they can't create their own shot and score regularly, he doesn't want them in the line up. Sometimes, a team just needs raw energy guy who is big and strong; and can intimidate.

Not at all the same as you were thinking but I did notice a couple of times that when Carlos Johnson and Javon Blacksher decided to just lower their head and drive, their raw energy usually sparked something.

If we can’t get a Vernon or Glaze style guy... then the guard play has to evolve to account for that.

I’m dating myself here, but I remember one Mr Killian Larson who did exactly what Pete is taking about.
11-06-2019 06:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GCU
(11-06-2019 11:50 AM)gleadley Wrote:  
(11-06-2019 11:44 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Even if Fisher is eligible at mid-season, Majerle should consider redshirting him for the whole season; if Fisher is willing to sit out. This season is chalking up to be a struggle regardless if Fisher were eligible now. GCU is already guard heavy with Mike Dixon coming on board in December. What GCU needs right now is a viable power forward like Gabe McGlothan. If I were Majerle, I would put Fisher on ice for a season and refocus his recruiting efforts for 2020-21. I would just ride with the horses he has now and do the best he can to get them to post season play. GCU will lose Johnson, Frayer, and Jenkins after this season but they return enough of a nucleus to be much stronger next season with a key big man addition or two. Just my opinion.

I'd consider the same for Frayer, tbh. Just watch this whole season burn to the ground and hope you can build something better next season.
I am in agreement here. Let this season burn. Of course, I am not too enthralled with players that cannot remain academically eligible either. So I am not sure I would want them around next year either. Whatever happened to student coming before athlete.
Of course, the other option is just to have an "Individalized Studies" program like NMSU and enroll basically the whole team into that program. That way there is no need of pretending these players are actually students first.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019 09:20 PM by ProfScott.)
11-06-2019 09:19 PM
2nd String

(11-06-2019 09:19 PM)ProfScott Wrote:  
(11-06-2019 11:44 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Even if Fisher is eligible at mid-season, Majerle should consider redshirting him for the whole season; if Fisher is willing to sit out. This season is chalking up to be a struggle regardless if Fisher were eligible now. GCU is already guard heavy with Mike Dixon coming on board in December. What GCU needs right now is a viable power forward like Gabe McGlothan. If I were Majerle, I would put Fisher on ice for a season and refocus his recruiting efforts for 2020-21. I would just ride with the horses he has now and do the best he can to get them to post season play. GCU will lose Johnson, Frayer, and Jenkins after this season but they return enough of a nucleus to be much stronger next season with a key big man addition or two. Just my opinion.

I'd consider the same for Frayer, tbh. Just watch this whole season burn to the ground and hope you can build something better next season.
I am in agreement here. Let this season burn. Of course, I am not too enthralled with players that cannot remain academically eligible either. So I am not sure I would want them around next year either. Whatever happened to student coming before athlete.
Of course, the other option is just to have an "Individalized Studies" program like NMSU and enroll basically the whole team into that program. That way there is no need of pretending these players are actually students first.

Ohh... Prof with the burn!!! 01-ncaabbs
11-06-2019 09:42 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU

We are talking about academic studies and Grand Canyon in the same sentence, right? Wow, you're pretty brave to question academics coming from a diploma mill...
11-07-2019 11:54 AM
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

(11-06-2019 09:42 PM)Country_Wisdom_359 Wrote:  

It actually was not meant to be a burn. I think the NMSU basketball program is smart to encourage their players to take "Individualized Studies" as their major. It gives the players and the program flexibility. It also allows the players to focus on their "vocation" of basketball which is what the majority are attending college for.

It is time for the NCAA to stop pretending that these are student-athletes and openly recognize that they are athletes and sometimes students. NMSU has found a way to stay within the letter of the current NCAA rules yet treat their players as athlete's first. Most powerhouse programs do the same thing.
11-07-2019 12:19 PM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
GCU talking trash about academics to NMSU is hilarious. BTW, congrats on the US Department of Education saying your still a For Profit university. https://t.co/e1GvqZ421f?amp=1
11-07-2019 01:13 PM
2nd String

(11-07-2019 12:19 PM)ProfScott Wrote:  
(11-06-2019 09:42 PM)Country_Wisdom_359 Wrote:  

It actually was not meant to be a burn. I think the NMSU basketball program is smart to encourage their players to take "Individualized Studies" as their major. It gives the players and the program flexibility. It also allows the players to focus on their "vocation" of basketball which is what the majority are attending college for.

It is time for the NCAA to stop pretending that these are student-athletes and openly recognize that they are athletes and sometimes students. NMSU has found a way to stay within the letter of the current NCAA rules yet treat their players as athlete's first. Most powerhouse programs do the same thing.

That’s fair Prof. Sorry if I read a sassy tone into that statement. The boards do encourage a bit of a smack talk mentality and Canyon fans are used to being on the receiving end quite a bit.

Now if we could win the NCAA tournament twice in a row and become a leading tier 1 research institution, they might take a break from the smack talk... but probably not 07-coffee3
11-07-2019 03:46 PM
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

(11-07-2019 01:13 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  GCU talking trash about academics to NMSU is hilarious. BTW, congrats on the US Department of Education saying your still a For Profit university. https://t.co/e1GvqZ421f?amp=1
I am not talking trash. Just stating a fact and praising NMSU for their honesty and following the model of powerhouse universities. A quick look at the NMSU basketball roster shows that 14 of the 19 are Individualized Study majors with one of the others (Wilfried Likayi) being undecided and another (Bryce Rewalt) not having any information. The other three (William McNair, Rashaun Agee and Evan Gilyard) have actual majors.
Feel free to bash GCU all you want. I am happy to do the same. I am just making a point that the NCAA is a farce and one way to avoid the "spirit" of the law is to add Individualized Studies as a major so that the "letter" of the law is meant. Perhaps GCU should do the same since it is obvious that educating these kids is not the first priority.
11-07-2019 03:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.