DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
RE: UConn's 2020 schedule almost complete
(11-01-2019 09:19 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(11-01-2019 08:20 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(10-31-2019 05:56 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-31-2019 02:56 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  I think it's UConn @ UVA

Either way, that's a better schedule for them than an AAC schedule would have been.

If you are talking basketball.

UVA, Illinois and Indiana? Good basketball programs. Ole Miss-didn't they lose to Memphis this year? Those are their 4 P5s. This year, the AAC schedule is far stronger than what they have.
That is great for OOC. Same for Ole Miss. How is UMass, Army, Liberty, Maine, SJSU better than UC, Navy, UCF, Houton, Temple etc.

It's not, but let their few fans take all those losses and think that it is.
11-01-2019 10:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(11-02-2019 07:12 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  As a college football fan I would like to see UConn get Boston College, Syracuse, Delaware or Rutgers on the schedule. That schedule looks good but needs a little more regional competition to get their fan base excited about football again.

Going to be interesting watching UConn climb back up after most everyone counted them out. I’m personally rooting for them to be successful.

Same here, along with Army and Massachusetts.
11-02-2019 07:34 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-02-2019 07:12 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  As a college football fan I would like to see UConn get Boston College, Syracuse, Delaware or Rutgers on the schedule. That schedule looks good but needs a little more regional competition to get their fan base excited about football again.

I agree, outside of the biggest-brand P5, the schools you mention have to be at the top of their wish-list.

Still, I think that the 2020 schedule looks very good, far from the disaster many predicted.

I have said all along that UConn is a good brand name, arguably the biggest in the G5, and would be able to attract opponents. We will see how future schedules flesh out.
11-02-2019 07:43 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy

Going to be interesting watching UConn climb back up after most everyone counted them out. I’m personally rooting for them to be successful.

UConn also needs to get Villanova on the schedule for FB when not scheduling FCS Delaware for regional games. It needs a new NBE FB rivalry as well as playing them in BB and their Olympic Sports. If UConn is scheduling Patriot League teams like Lafayette for FB they might as well schedule NBE BB rival Georgetown / Patriot League FB for a homecoming game and an easy victory. Pay them to show up too. Spread the wealth with pay games for their BE FCS counterparts. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2019 07:59 AM by panite.)
11-02-2019 07:59 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(11-02-2019 07:59 AM)panite Wrote:  

UConn also needs to get Villanova on the schedule for FB when not scheduling FCS Delaware for regional games. It needs a new NBE FB rivalry as well as playing them in BB and their Olympic Sports. If UConn is scheduling Patriot League teams like Lafayette for FB they might as well schedule NBE BB rival Georgetown / Patriot League FB for a homecoming game and an easy victory. Pay them to show up too. Spread the wealth with pay games for their BE FCS counterparts. 04-cheers

I mean, sure, play a game with Nova every now and again, might as well. Georgetown and Butler are non-scholarship, though, so there's no reason to play a game with them since it straight up doesn't count.
11-02-2019 10:03 AM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
UConn-Nova would be a good one with the Big East connection. Regionally, the Huskies have Maine, UNH, and the old Ramnapping Trophy rivalry with Rhode Island as well. It would be cool to have the UConn-URI game yearly again.

Temple-Delaware, Syracuse-Colgate, BC-Holy Cross: a lot of old rivalries were lost in the northeast. I think Rutgers had rivalries (or at least yearly games) with Lafayette, Lehigh, and an ancient one with Fordham.
11-02-2019 12:32 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I wonder to what degree Buffalo has an interest in scheduling long term series with UConn and UMass?

They could conceivably schedule both, play an FCS northeastern school and still have room for a P5, potentially also from the Northeast, to give their schedule a more regional flare to balance out all the midwestern MAC games.
11-02-2019 01:27 PM
LostInSpace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(11-02-2019 12:32 PM)esayem Wrote:  UConn-Nova would be a good one with the Big East connection. Regionally, the Huskies have Maine, UNH, and the old Ramnapping Trophy rivalry with Rhode Island as well. It would be cool to have the UConn-URI game yearly again.

Temple-Delaware, Syracuse-Colgate, BC-Holy Cross: a lot of old rivalries were lost in the northeast. I think Rutgers had rivalries (or at least yearly games) with Lafayette, Lehigh, and an ancient one with Fordham.

Yes. Rutgers had a scheduling alliance with Lehigh and Lafayette called The Middle Three Conference. They played annually from the 1920s to the mid 1970s.
11-02-2019 03:25 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

(11-02-2019 10:03 AM)Bogg Wrote:  

I mean, sure, play a game with Nova every now and again, might as well. Georgetown and Butler are non-scholarship, though, so there's no reason to play a game with them since it straight up doesn't count.

Lafayette is then too. So why play one and not the other. They are both in the Patriot League. 07-coffee3
11-03-2019 12:36 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(11-03-2019 12:36 AM)panite Wrote:  

Lafayette is then too. So why play one and not the other. They are both in the Patriot League. 07-coffee3

My understanding is that teams in the Patriot other than Georgetown offer at least the minimum number of scholarships to be an FCS counter, while Georgetown gets to stick around in the Patriot as a non-scholarship program essentially because they're Georgetown.
11-03-2019 08:07 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE

Butler, Villanova and Georgetown don't even schedule each other annually, and each of those programs are FCS; yet, UConn would be wise to schedule them annually in order to create a "NBE FB" rivalry? Nope.
11-03-2019 11:12 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(11-02-2019 12:32 PM)esayem Wrote:  UConn-Nova would be a good one with the Big East connection. Regionally, the Huskies have Maine, UNH, and the old Ramnapping Trophy rivalry with Rhode Island as well. It would be cool to have the UConn-URI game yearly again.

Rutgers-Princeton
Army-Yale
Temple-Villanova
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019 01:15 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
11-03-2019 01:15 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-02-2019 07:43 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

I agree, outside of the biggest-brand P5, the schools you mention have to be at the top of their wish-list.

Still, I think that the 2020 schedule looks very good, far from the disaster many predicted.

I have said all along that UConn is a good brand name, arguably the biggest in the G5, and would be able to attract opponents. We will see how future schedules flesh out.

Well its not a disaster. They did pretty good on short notice. But its not something that looks that good long term.
11-03-2019 04:28 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(11-01-2019 09:01 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  UConn will either drop football or go FCS in a few years. I don't think D1 is a good place for them.

Division I is fine for them. They haven't found the right coach recently or the right conference. Football stadium in Hartford is a bit of a detriment.

I think if they had moved up in the early 90s when they first had the chance, they would be in the P5 now. If Pitt and SU hadn't been invited to the ACC, UConn would have been fine. But they are kind of an outlier in the AAC with none of their traditional basketball rivals.
11-03-2019 04:32 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(11-03-2019 04:28 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(11-02-2019 07:43 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Well its not a disaster. They did pretty good on short notice. But its not something that looks that good long term.

I am waiting for all of those payed games, including UCF, in the future years. UConn is not Army. Need to get better at MBB fast to try to get H&H with schools that care about basketball.
11-03-2019 10:27 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(11-03-2019 01:15 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

Rutgers-Princeton
Army-Yale
Temple-Villanova

Penn State-Penn....I think that was one.

Fordham vs. NYU was a big game in NYC either at Yankee Stadium or the Polo Grounds. Then both schools killed their programs.
11-04-2019 08:22 AM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers

We were in a conference (sort of) with Lehigh and Lafayette for 40+ years and those games were annual fixtures on our schedule.

We also played Princeton nearly every year until 1980. With the schools about 20 miles apart it could be a great rivalry and we should play them in a lot of Olympic sports. In a perfect world they woudl have been on our schedule for football this year.

The problem with UConn's former conference mates scheduling them in football is that we don't have that many OOC games to give and it will take a while for those spots to open up. UConn may have the available dates to schedule multiple Lambert schools at once but the rest of us don't.
11-04-2019 09:29 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

(11-03-2019 08:07 AM)Bogg Wrote:  

My understanding is that teams in the Patriot other than Georgetown offer at least the minimum number of scholarships to be an FCS counter, while Georgetown gets to stick around in the Patriot as a non-scholarship program essentially because they're Georgetown.

Checked it out. Your right about Georgetown. The President refuses to go the scholarship route for football. Back in the 80's when my cousins played against each other - one for Lafayette and the other for Lehigh - they received financial grant and aids based on financial need not scholarships for football. The Patriot League has now moved to the FCS scholarship 63 player limit minus Georgetown. 07-coffee3
11-04-2019 10:19 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

(11-04-2019 09:29 AM)megadrone Wrote:  

We were in a conference (sort of) with Lehigh and Lafayette for 40+ years and those games were annual fixtures on our schedule.

We also played Princeton nearly every year until 1980. With the schools about 20 miles apart it could be a great rivalry and we should play them in a lot of Olympic sports. In a perfect world they woudl have been on our schedule for football this year.

The problem with UConn's former conference mates scheduling them in football is that we don't have that many OOC games to give and it will take a while for those spots to open up. UConn may have the available dates to schedule multiple Lambert schools at once but the rest of us don't.

Rutgers played Princeton in the first ever college football game and beat them Nov. 6, 1869. They played again at Princeton and lost.
Both schools have been awarded the National Championship for that year with split 1 and 1 seasons. 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 02-13-banana COGS COGS COGS 04-cheers
11-04-2019 10:28 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(11-04-2019 10:19 AM)panite Wrote:  
(11-03-2019 08:07 AM)Bogg Wrote:  
(11-02-2019 07:59 AM)panite Wrote:  UConn also needs to get Villanova on the schedule for FB when not scheduling FCS Delaware for regional games. It needs a new NBE FB rivalry as well as playing them in BB and their Olympic Sports. If UConn is scheduling Patriot League teams like Lafayette for FB they might as well schedule NBE BB rival Georgetown / Patriot League FB for a homecoming game and an easy victory. Pay them to show up too. Spread the wealth with pay games for their BE FCS counterparts. 04-cheers

Checked it out. Your right about Georgetown. The President refuses to go the scholarship route for football. Back in the 80's when my cousins played against each other - one for Lafayette and the other for Lehigh - they received financial grant and aids based on financial need not scholarships for football. The Patriot League has now moved to the FCS scholarship 63 player limit minus Georgetown. 07-coffee3

Not just to be a counter for FBS games, but for honesty. A lot of those players were recruited and on scholarship, just not a true "football" scholarship.
11-04-2019 10:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.