Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JN Petition
Doc KSU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kent State
RE: JN Petition
(10-21-2019 03:06 PM)FlashFan Wrote:  Regardless of the actual charge, the Kesterson situation appears to have been badly bungled, in my opinion. As an employee of a different D1 University, my experience is that the responsibilities of faculty and staff are clear when a student alleges assault or harassment, or is accused of same. It is to direct the student (accuser or accused) to the Title IX office, to personally contact the Title IX office to report the conversation, then stay out of it. Don’t “investigate,” don’t follow up, don’t intervene with disciplinary action, don’t discuss. Period. Many universities require annual training on this process with a signature of understanding from all faculty or staff members. If these procedures were in place at Kent State, they were (allegedly) abused in this case. That alone is grounds for significant disciplinary action at other universities.

Title IX officers will advise a student alleging rape of his/her/their options. Roughly, a student has the option to file a criminal complaint with the municipal PD. The local police investigate the charge, the Title IX office investigates infractions of student conduct. If the student does not wish to file a criminal charge, Title IX still investigates infractions of student conduct. And, yes, any student accused receives a representative during the process.

I am a university faculty and this is exactly correct. Any investigation by JN or the athletic dept other than notifying the Title IX office (and perhaps the university general counsel) is generally considered grounds for reprimand or dismissal. If you have to advise the accused, the advice one can give is limited to " get yourself a lawyer"
10-21-2019 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
burden Online
Heisman

I Root For:
Maybe it’s time we get back on topic. I don’t know much about the sexual assault other than the Kent Athletic Department allegedly didn’t handle the Title IX aspect properly. That’s what is relevant to this discussion. Obviously this case is complicated by the guy being the softball coaches son. I am sure it wasn’t an easy time for her and affected her reaction. To me this and Nielsen’s reaction to the gymnastics team gawker is the most serious charge. What he’s paid, how many MAC championships he’s won and how many money football games he schedules is pretty trivial. I do know Nielsen came in, fired two high profile coaches (Morrow and Lindsay) who tried to challenge him and hurt Department morale. Now we hear of two incidents where he apparently protected his softball coach and some advisor who was sexually harassing women. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t doing it out of loyalty but instead to protect his reputation and job. My comments are more theory than fact but if the University feels the same he should be let go. If not the University won’t fire him.

If your problem is just how he is running the nuts and bolts of the Athletic Department then don’t contribute and let the President know why and he will go soon enough. David obviously knows a lot more about how he is as a manager and feels he should be fired just for the atmosphere he has established. I would think very few of us know those details. I don’t think a petition signed by alumni and ex employees should get someone fired. If Kent in incapable of getting info from current employees about what’s going on then maybe people at higher levels need to be fired first.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2019 07:59 PM by burden.)
10-21-2019 07:30 PM
Doc KSU Offline
2nd String

(10-21-2019 07:30 PM)burden Wrote:  Maybe it’s time we get back on topic. I don’t know much about the sexual assault other than the Kent Athletic Department allegedly didn’t handle the Title IX aspect properly. That’s what is relevant to this discussion. Obviously this case is complicated by the guy being the softball coaches son. I am sure it wasn’t an easy time for her and affected her reaction. To me this and Nielsen’s reaction to the gymnastics team gawker is the most serious charge. What he’s paid, how many MAC championships he’s won and how many money football games he schedules is pretty trivial. I do know Nielsen came in, fired two high profile coaches (Morrow and Lindsay) who tried to challenge him and hurt Department morale. Now we hear of two incidents where he apparently protected his softball coach and some advisor who was sexually harassing women. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t doing it out of loyalty but instead to protect his reputation and job. My comments are more theory than fact but if the University feels the same he should be let go. If not the University won’t fire him.

If your problem is just how he is running the nuts and bolts of the Athletic Department then don’t contribute and let the President know why and he will go soon enough. David obviously knows a lot more about how he is as a manager and feels he should be fired just for the atmosphere he has established. I would think very few of us know those details. I don’t think a petition signed by alumni and ex employees should get someone fired. If Kent in incapable of getting info from current employees about what’s going on then maybe people at higher levels need to be fired first.

Re the Title IX issues, hypocrisy in cutting slack for the athletic department is a real morale killer. At one of my employers a coach assaulted an assistant coach and broke his jaw. He claimed that he did not know that was against university policy
10-21-2019 08:32 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

(10-21-2019 08:32 PM)Doc KSU Wrote:  
(10-21-2019 07:30 PM)burden Wrote:  Maybe it’s time we get back on topic. I don’t know much about the sexual assault other than the Kent Athletic Department allegedly didn’t handle the Title IX aspect properly. That’s what is relevant to this discussion. Obviously this case is complicated by the guy being the softball coaches son. I am sure it wasn’t an easy time for her and affected her reaction. To me this and Nielsen’s reaction to the gymnastics team gawker is the most serious charge. What he’s paid, how many MAC championships he’s won and how many money football games he schedules is pretty trivial. I do know Nielsen came in, fired two high profile coaches (Morrow and Lindsay) who tried to challenge him and hurt Department morale. Now we hear of two incidents where he apparently protected his softball coach and some advisor who was sexually harassing women. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t doing it out of loyalty but instead to protect his reputation and job. My comments are more theory than fact but if the University feels the same he should be let go. If not the University won’t fire him.

Re the Title IX issues, hypocrisy in cutting slack for the athletic department is a real morale killer. At one of my employers a coach assaulted an assistant coach and broke his jaw. He claimed that he did not know that was against university policy

04-jawdrop Just when I think I’ve heard it all.
10-22-2019 08:40 AM
KSUforever Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent State Univ
I know more info will be coming out in the next few days. It really shows that the university was complicit in allowing Joel actions to continue.

https://removenielsenksu.com/

At least sign on to the site. You will get updates with new info.
10-22-2019 09:22 AM
DavidCarducci Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Hiram & Kent St
While our blog has mentioned the case stemming from an alleged rape that is now in the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, we've been careful not to talk about any allegations beyond how Kent State and its human resources department handled the situation.

I don't have a good feel for the facts of the case. I worked at Kent State University when the allegations first came out, but I have no information about what might or might not have happened. I haven't read all of the allegations in the case file and I don't believe anybody has ever heard the accused's side of the story.

The only thing I've heard from a reliable source is that people in the community know only about 20 percent of the facts.

So, it might be worth avoiding playing guessing games that lead to assumptions on either side. The case is still pending and I want to avoid forming any preconceived notions before attorneys for all sides have made their cases and release more information.

Our position regarding Nielsen is simply that the dysfunction within the Kent State University Athletic Department has created a climate that lends to cases like this one. The current court case appears to be less about an alleged rape than about systemic roadblocks to important communications.

As demonstrated in the Janet Kittell case we posted about today, if you are involved in KSU athletics and you report an incident that puts the department in a difficult situation, you fear retaliation. It doesn't matter if its about sexual harassment, sexual assault, scheduling errors that lead to PR nightmares, mishandling of money from a shoe deal, telling an athletic director about t-shirts a team is preparing to wear in pregame, reporting a student-athletes classroom problems to a head coach when that student athlete is a relative of a department leader, or news about a donor that could damage the chances of receiving a major gift.

It's a sad "emperor has no clothes" situation that damages organizations, keeping big and little problems from being solved before they turn into crises that play out in the national media or in a courtroom.

All of those situations I listed are real, by the way. One of the stories may have contributed to a KSU men's basketball loss at Buffalo several years ago. I'll let you take a guess at which one.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2019 05:11 PM by DavidCarducci.)
10-22-2019 03:58 PM
Proud pilot Offline
Bench Warmer

Don't know if this is the right place for this question.
Conversation with a friend that is a professor and follows athletics closely.
Brought up the "new turf" for the field house positive step. Response they haven't even started on it no way it's going to be done for the winter/spring practices.
Does anyone know why they haven't started ?
10-28-2019 11:02 AM
KSUforever Offline
Bench Warmer

I believe work starts this week on the field house.
10-28-2019 02:12 PM
Proud pilot Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-28-2019 02:12 PM)KSUforever Wrote:  I believe work starts this week on the field house.
Glad to hear they are starting next week couldn't imagine with the highest paid AD in the MAC coordinating why there would be a delay.
10-30-2019 10:16 AM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

(10-30-2019 10:16 AM)Proud pilot Wrote:  
(10-28-2019 02:12 PM)KSUforever Wrote:  I believe work starts this week on the field house.
Glad to hear they are starting next week couldn't imagine with the highest paid AD in the MAC coordinating why there would be a delay.

It would need to go through the state bidding process like any other project on campus. After that the company would need to fit them into their schedule plus order all the materials to get the job done. 99% of construction takes awhile to get started. With the lone exception being Dollar General stores. They buy the land on Monday and have the building built and stocked by Friday. I don't know how they move so fast.
10-30-2019 04:42 PM
KSUforever Offline
Bench Warmer

Just a rant on Athletics and lack of making MBB a priority. This is what I have noticed over the last few days

I got my tickets the day of the open practice. There was very little publicicty for the open practice.

On the way to the game last night (coming from Akron on 76) I passed an electronic billboard advertising for Akron hoops. Upon entering Kent I saw a billboard for KSU football. Also, I have advertising for Akron hoops on local sports talk but nothing for KSU.

The tickets are a debacle. They are 1.5" wide by 9" long. I dont even know what I am looking at and seat info is so small you can hardly read it

Two mens games are early so that the women can play after. I know we are trying to get some enthusiasm for women but a 5pm start time on a weekday is rough.
11-07-2019 08:43 AM
cschierh Offline
1st String

The Kent Stater had an outstanding story on the female sports information director who was essentially harassed out of her job by the male athletics finance officer.

It outlines Nielsen’s role and the university’s slow, ineffective and bureaucratic response to the situation.

The university and athletic department come out looking very bad.

A lot of the facts in the story had been reported here by Dave Carducci and in the anti-Nielsen petition. But the Stater put it together very well.

Here’s link to story.

http://www.kentwired.com/latest_updates/...81b04.html
11-07-2019 11:43 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

(11-07-2019 08:43 AM)KSUforever Wrote:  Just a rant on Athletics and lack of making MBB a priority. This is what I have noticed over the last few days

I got my tickets the day of the open practice. There was very little publicicty for the open practice.

On the way to the game last night (coming from Akron on 76) I passed an electronic billboard advertising for Akron hoops. Upon entering Kent I saw a billboard for KSU football. Also, I have advertising for Akron hoops on local sports talk but nothing for KSU.

The tickets are a debacle. They are 1.5" wide by 9" long. I dont even know what I am looking at and seat info is so small you can hardly read it

Two mens games are early so that the women can play after. I know we are trying to get some enthusiasm for women but a 5pm start time on a weekday is rough.

The men’s 5 p.m. Nov 21 game is against Division II Concord. The women’s game at 7:30 is against Ohio State.

If you’re going to have a doubleheader, I’d say that’s appropriate.
11-07-2019 11:53 PM
KSUforever Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-07-2019 11:53 PM)cschierh Wrote:  
(11-07-2019 08:43 AM)KSUforever Wrote:  Just a rant on Athletics and lack of making MBB a priority. This is what I have noticed over the last few days

The men’s 5 p.m. Nov 21 game is against Division II Concord. The women’s game at 7:30 is against Ohio State.

If you’re going to have a doubleheader, I’d say that’s appropriate.
Did not realize who the women were playing. Thanks
11-08-2019 08:33 AM
Doc KSU Offline
2nd String

(11-07-2019 11:43 PM)cschierh Wrote:  The Kent Stater had an outstanding story on the female sports information director who was essentially harassed out of her job by the male athletics finance officer.

It outlines Nielsen’s role and the university’s slow, ineffective and bureaucratic response to the situation.

A lot of the facts in the story had been reported here by Dave Carducci and in the anti-Nielsen petition. But the Stater put it together very well.

Here’s link to story.

If this story is true, this is abominable behavior. And the fish rots from the head
11-08-2019 05:25 PM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

Glad you got your tickets. Now 2 days after first home game I still don’t
Have mine. 20+ year season ticket holder. These folks are clueless
Not a DI program. Not even close. Watched first game on ESPN +.
Ty and crew did a great job. Beer was cold and popcorn not stale. I’m done with going to games. My seats will be empty this season.
11-08-2019 06:08 PM
DavidCarducci Offline
Special Teams

(11-08-2019 05:25 PM)Doc KSU Wrote:  
(11-07-2019 11:43 PM)cschierh Wrote:  The Kent Stater had an outstanding story on the female sports information director who was essentially harassed out of her job by the male athletics finance officer.

Here’s link to story.

If this story is true, this is abominable behavior. And the fish rots from the head

Sadly, I can confirm it is 100 pct true. The stater reporters did an excellent job. There are actually even more damning details.
11-08-2019 06:47 PM
Doc KSU Offline
2nd String

(11-08-2019 06:47 PM)DavidCarducci Wrote:  

Here’s link to story.

Sadly, I can confirm it is 100 pct true. The stater reporters did an excellent job. There are actually even more damning details.

How does he have a job?
11-08-2019 07:35 PM
DavidCarducci Offline
Special Teams

(11-08-2019 07:35 PM)Doc KSU Wrote:  
(11-08-2019 06:47 PM)DavidCarducci Wrote:  

Here’s link to story.

How does he have a job?

It's a great question DocKSU. Nielsen has always been pretty universally disliked within the department, but in the upper levels of the university administration, he has always been protected.
Nielsen told a longtime head coach who confronted him about the morale in the department that he didn't care. He cared only about what the president thinks. Knowing Nielsen, I would guess that also includes VPs and trustees. He kisses a lot of asses and knows how to play the game with administration and in trustee meetings. At that level, KSU is all about leaders protecting each other. People were afraid to speak truth to presidents like Lefton and Warren, and they had reason to be. Hopefully Diacon is different, but so far, that doesn't appear to be the case.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2019 07:54 PM by DavidCarducci.)
11-08-2019 07:51 PM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I'm not going to pretend to know all the allegations here but IMO:

- a large organization like KSU is NEVER going to bow to the wishes of a Flash MOB and fire Joel. If they went that route it would open Pandora's box for every organization or cause on campus. So IMO this website while interesting at first the more stories that get published with many of them 7-8 years old I don't think its very meaningful and looks like a disgruntled employee trying hard to stay relevant. message has been received by the powers that be. Its just a bad look overall for Kent. I understand and appreciate the groups passion for Kent but at what point is enough enough?

- Joel I'm sure would admit he hasn't been perfect and has made some bad decisions. But what leader in charge of a large organization hasn't?

- Joel is chastised for his salary but which one of us wouldn't try and maximize their value. Every coach and probably every poster on this website. Dave you even brag about doubling your salary after leaving Kent. So how is Joel different?

- and all the budget issues etc. you could write the same article for probably every MAC school. That's the cost of trying to play in a poker game we cant afford. The business model (especially with FBS football) is extremely flawed for schools with our lack of resources. All that isn't Joel's fault and i'm sorry 100k less in his salary isn't going to fix that.

just my .02 cents.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2019 09:08 AM by ksu315.)
11-11-2019 09:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.