Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CAA Basketball: Preseason Rankings
Bookmark and Share
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
Did you know: of the fifteen players currently on W&M’s roster, just EIGHT were on the active roster last season. 04-jawdrop

Curious to hear folks' thoughts on two things:

#1 - potential starting lineup permutations
#2 - thoughts on our preseason ranking

Read about the CAA's recently released preseason poll, and our take on the Tribe's ranking in our most recent article below!

LET'S GO TRIBE.

Article: https://wmsportsblog.com/2019/10/11/hot-...-released/
10-10-2019 07:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
RE: CAA Basketball: Preseason Rankings
And two are walk ons
10-11-2019 05:42 AM
Tribfan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: W&M
Preseason ranking is generous. We should change name to Nate and the Forgettables. Even if Nate stays healthy and out of foul trouble we'll be lucky to win 10 games. My prediction is we are 3 - 13 as of our first conference home game. Elon will not be the easy out the poll implies, and I can guarantee you Coach Holmes will have the Phoenix coached up to beat the Tribe when he returns to Kaplan.
10-11-2019 12:33 PM
Advertisement

WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

(10-11-2019 12:33 PM)Tribfan Wrote:  Preseason ranking is generous. We should change name to Nate and the Forgettables. Even if Nate stays healthy and out of foul trouble we'll be lucky to win 10 games. My prediction is we are 3 - 13 as of our first conference home game. Elon will not be the easy out the poll implies, and I can guarantee you Coach Holmes will have the Phoenix coached up to beat the Tribe when he returns to Kaplan.

Wait, are you trying to say that you disagree with the Shaver firing? 02-13-banana
10-11-2019 12:50 PM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
I hope Nate has the senior year he deserves, and enhances his prospects to their maximum potential. Kudos to him for staying the course.

I wish the best for the rest of the returnees, including AVV. In particular, I hope Jihar lives up to the potential he seemed to have as a recruit.

Dane still seems like a nice guy. He filled out the roster, which was no small feat in and of itself, regardless of the team's record this year.

Beyond that, meh.
10-11-2019 01:30 PM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

Replacements 2

I can't get up for the season. I like Dane just fine and will always support our players and school, but I won't contribute to MBB in any manner whatsoever. The staff and players are in no way at fault. The whole mess points to one human.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
10-11-2019 01:39 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(10-11-2019 01:39 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Replacements 2

I can't get up for the season. I like Dane just fine and will always support our players and school, but I won't contribute to MBB in any manner whatsoever. The staff and players are in no way at fault. The whole mess points to one human.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tangentially related to the apathy created by the team's new makeup is this Flo-Sports deal. For those who were angered by the firing and are not willing to show up at Kaplan this season, not having easy online viewing access is a sure fire way to ensure full-blown checked-out status.
10-11-2019 02:09 PM
Advertisement

mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-11-2019 12:50 PM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  
(10-11-2019 12:33 PM)Tribfan Wrote:  Preseason ranking is generous. We should change name to Nate and the Forgettables. Even if Nate stays healthy and out of foul trouble we'll be lucky to win 10 games. My prediction is we are 3 - 13 as of our first conference home game. Elon will not be the easy out the poll implies, and I can guarantee you Coach Holmes will have the Phoenix coached up to beat the Tribe when he returns to Kaplan.

Wait, are you trying to say that you disagree with the Shaver firing? 02-13-banana
There are a few newer accounts began in March 2019 that share a similar narrative. They are definitely entitled to their point of view, though I'm not sure what Fischer could do to earn positive marks. Will we miss our transfers? Absolutely. Do we have pieces that can compete in the CAA? I think so. 7th doesn't seem unreasonable with the question marks. I think they finish is the 4th/5th range, all dependant on if this team can truly execute Fischers defense 1st mindset. If they can defend, they will be in every game.
10-11-2019 02:47 PM
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

(10-11-2019 02:47 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(10-11-2019 12:50 PM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  

There are a few newer accounts began in March 2019 that share a similar narrative. They are definitely entitled to their point of view, though I'm not sure what Fischer could do to earn positive marks. Will we miss our transfers? Absolutely. Do we have pieces that can compete in the CAA? I think so. 7th doesn't seem unreasonable with the question marks. I think they finish is the 4th/5th range, all dependant on if this team can truly execute Fischers defense 1st mindset. If they can defend, they will be in every game.

Agree -- 4/5 seems to be the ceiling, but doable. Obviously loads of question marks this early in the season, but behind the top 3 teams, the CAA is relatively open.
10-11-2019 03:38 PM
Advertisement

tribeinexile Offline
1st String

Here's a thought. Anyone projecting where we finish should start by stating who they think the starting five will be and what the rotation will look like.

In fact, the first person who correctly predicts the starting five and the first two players off the bench (in our regular rotation) should get a prize.

As I said elsewhere I am feeling mildly optimistic but that's because I'm a fan. I have know idea who will be playing what kind of minutes for us.
10-11-2019 03:44 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

The starting lineup will be hard to determine because it's bound to change throughout the season. Fischer said as much. The game 1 starters will probably differ from the conference play starters and may differ from the tournament lineup.

My guess to start, though I have nothing to base it on. I'll have an equally meaningless opinion after the homecoming scrimmage. I was a big Jon Marc Ludwig guy after seeing a homecoming scrimmage. We know how that worked out.

1- Barnes
2- Scott
3- Blair??
4- van Vliet
5- Knight
10-11-2019 04:12 PM
Zorch Online
All American

I Root For: W&M
(10-11-2019 01:30 PM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  I hope Nate has the senior year he deserves, and enhances his prospects to their maximum potential. Kudos to him for staying the course.

I wish the best for the rest of the returnees, including AVV.

^^^^ This !! ^^^^

(10-11-2019 02:09 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  Tangentially related to the apathy created by the team's new makeup is this Flo-Sports deal. For those who were angered by the firing and are not willing to show up at Kaplan this season, not having easy online viewing access is a sure fire way to ensure full-blown checked-out status.

^^^^ and this ^^^^

I don't have Flosports and I don't live in Williamsburg, so I will see very few games but I will hear all of the games. I know that I will really miss the CAA TV coverage -- it was very easy to get used to that.

Everyone knows how I feel about the Shaver firing. Even so, I expect that I will still get excited for the season. Living through all the "doldrums" gives us older folks a slightly different perspective -- like this Shaver firing is just another hurdle that we have to clear but, when we do, oh how so much sweeter the victory will be (and how tragic that the wound was self inflicted). If things go great then the only downside is that Huge will be front and center claiming credit for it (and giving no credit to Shaver and his staff). Even if things go totally downhill, I will still be following closely hoping that Nathan Knight maximizes his potential and gets the acclaim that he deserves.
10-11-2019 06:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.