10-07-2019 04:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: Emotional Support Horses Allowed On Flights
meh.... ESAs aren't guaranteed transport and some mini horses are as small as some very large dogs.

The 'don't pet them' comment shows the real intention of the author who clearly doesn't understand the law. The purpose is to not keep the animal from doing their job. If the owner agrees, it's not a problem at all. MOST service animals (not ESAs, but service animals) provide a physical service. SOme of them even help physically support their owners. A mini-horse or very large dog is much more able to assist a 150-250 lb person than a 50 lb dog is.... though it doesn't appear this animal is a service animal, much less a physical assistance animal, despite the claim that the animal can help (of course it can... it can also help carry groceries).

People (not you but the author) should learn the differences between an ESA and a service animal, and the various services that these animals can provide before trying to cast shade. It may play well to others who don't know, but it's arguably a violation of the ADA to try and turn public opinion and regulations against someone based on a disability.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2019 06:14 PM by Hambone10.)
10-07-2019 06:13 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
Emotional Support Horses Allowed On Flights
So who picks up the road apples?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
10-07-2019 09:46 PM
Advertisement

bobdizole Online
All American

I Root For: MT
(10-07-2019 06:13 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  meh.... ESAs aren't guaranteed transport and some mini horses are as small as some very large dogs.

The 'don't pet them' comment shows the real intention of the author who clearly doesn't understand the law. The purpose is to not keep the animal from doing their job. If the owner agrees, it's not a problem at all. MOST service animals (not ESAs, but service animals) provide a physical service. SOme of them even help physically support their owners. A mini-horse or very large dog is much more able to assist a 150-250 lb person than a 50 lb dog is.... though it doesn't appear this animal is a service animal, much less a physical assistance animal, despite the claim that the animal can help (of course it can... it can also help carry groceries).

People (not you but the author) should learn the differences between an ESA and a service animal, and the various services that these animals can provide before trying to cast shade. It may play well to others who don't know, but it's arguably a violation of the ADA to try and turn public opinion and regulations against someone based on a disability.

We used to deal with this crap when I worked in restaurants. ADA protections are only extended to dogs and miniature horses under 100lbs. The key is they must be trained to perform a specific task. That is the difference between a service animal and a ESA. Generally service animals were never, ever a problem. Most of the time you do not even notice they are there they are so well trained.

The only time we would have issues were with the little old ladies that would have their toy dogs in their little carrying bags with those gaudy vests you can buy on the internet. As soon as you start letting your "service animal" start eating off your plate you are going to get some extra attention.
10-08-2019 09:08 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
The Americans with Disabilities Act specifies that, "organizations that serve the public generally must allow service animals to accompany people with disabilities in all areas of the facility where the public is normally allowed to go." (source: https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm)

The ADA law grants these legal protections to properly trained service animals of only two species: dogs and miniature horses.

However, the law does specify that restrictions can be placed against miniature horses if the facility can not "accommodate the miniature horse's type, size, and weight" or if "the miniature horse's presence will compromise legitimate safety requirements."
10-08-2019 09:32 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(10-08-2019 09:08 AM)bobdizole Wrote:  The key is they must be trained to perform a specific task. That is the difference between a service animal and a ESA. Generally service animals were never, ever a problem. Most of the time you do not even notice they are there they are so well trained.

True, though the specific service isn't always evident. Seeing eye dogs are obvious, but dogs that say sense changes in body chemistry that could portend a seizure or other issue would not be obvious. Absolutely, you can tell by their behavior.
10-08-2019 12:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.