Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NY6 road
Bookmark and Share
ucbandguy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: NY6 road
If you want to be known as one of the best, you have to stretch yourself and play the best. I did not like the way the OSU game played out, but I am glad we played it.

Separate thought - looking at the "bowl projections".
Did you notice how many bowls had asterisks indicating that their contracted league would not be able to fill the game?
Many of these were then (projected to be) filled by Conf USA or Sun Belt teams, and they appeared to be "better bowls" than the contracted AAC bowls.

Something here needs to change, though I have no idea how to make that happen.

10-08-2019 09:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ladeda Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UC
(10-07-2019 09:09 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(10-07-2019 08:48 PM)ladeda Wrote:  

Better off going undefeated than take a beating in a buy game.

I disagree. I think the players and the fans love the big games per year. I was pretty pumped for the OSU game this year, and I'm pretty pumped for the Notre Dame game in 2 years. If UC gets pounded vs ND-- so be it. I'm still glad they get a chance to face some top teams as it's a chance to make a statement if they win.

Secondly-- the buy games are important for UC, as they do the $$$$$ to keep Fickell here as I strongly suspect he will be getting a nice raise this offseason (along with his assistants.)

Besides, how many times in UC history have they gone 11-1, and that 1 loss was a buy game? I'd rather get beatdown from time to time, than face a cupcake like UT Martin.
[/quote]

If that one loss keeps UC out of the Cotton Bowl then it’s a bad idea. Notre Dame is beatable or at least is a more realistic opportunity than Ohio State or Bama. The recruiting at the top level is crazy.
[/quote]

Who is to say Notre Dame isn't a top 5 team in 2021? You just don't know.

Sorry, but I don't want UC to constantly schedule 4 non conference cupcakes, for the fear that it will cost them an undefeated season. UC has 1 undefeated regular season in their history, correct? (Someone check that for me.) So yeah, to not play a game vs OSU because of fear that this could be the year they go undefeated is ludicrous.

You are alright with the Notre Dame game, but have you seen UC's schedule that year? Away to ECU, Navy, Tulane and USF. That is a damn easy away conference schedule. May as well just cancel that ND game, because on paper, UC has a pretty favorable conference schedule that year; and UC could go 11-0 outside the ND game.

10-08-2019 09:55 AM
skylinecat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
(10-08-2019 08:46 AM)cincy7718 Wrote:  "osu had one of their best teams ever. they wont always be that good. our program is still growing. we'll do better next time" -every UC fan since 2002

even if by some miracle we had won we still wouldnt sniff the playoff. "new coach, new QB, UC got lucky and caught them early in the year. one lucky game doesnt deserve a playoff spot" it would NEVER be viewed nationally as UC having a big win, but as osu stumbling.

did you guys not watch ucf? even after they beat auburn in the bowl, nobody respects them. had they won that game during the regular season it wouldnt have made a difference, and they hit the jackpot of going undefeated on a season when nobody else did. then they went undefeated the next season and still didnt even get considered. neither season was it a close call that came down to sos. they never even got looked at. sorry to be the one to tell you santa's not real, but college football playoff is fixed and we're on the wrong side.

scheduling buy games years in advance hoping the stars align is not a strategy to build our program. its just foolish. we eek out a win last year against ohio u and suddenly people want to charge columbus. schedule winnable games. that way on down years we dont get humiliated, and on up years we're setup for a conference win and legit run at a NY6 bowl. those are our season goals. anybody talking playoffs isnt accepting reality.
win as many games as possible and grow the program so that when realignment happens again our resume has the most wins and and very few 42-0 stompings. that loss hurts recruiting, pushed away casual fans and will be a serious black eye for the rest of the season as it will be mentioned on every televised game for the rest of the year -both our games and osu's. not the way to build national respect.

I agree with you. The only chance we ever would have of making the playoff would have been if OSU and UCLA both went undefeated except for the games we played against them and Memphis won their OC games, UCF won theirs etc etc. Considering there is probably a less than 5% chance of us even beating OSU in Columbus on a year to year basis the total odds of all of that happening have got to be in the negatives.

We NEED to be on the last lifeboat off the titanic. College Football is about to change and paying players is going to become a very real thing. We need to get into a situation with a real TV contract and playing big boy football week in week out or we are going to be left in the dust.

If that is our goal, which obviously I think it should be, we need to be making the new years day bowl as often as possible and the path to that is being undefeated or 10-1 going into it. G5 teams score rankings points by being a big name (which we are for a G5 team) and by racking up wins. Getting pounded at OSU or Bama reminds the country that we aren't on that level and allows them to push us into the corner. In 5 years we can readdress the scheduling philosophy but right now it needs to be focused on shooting 5 point bucks, not hoping for 10's.

10-08-2019 09:59 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(10-08-2019 09:47 AM)ucbandguy Wrote:  If you want to be known as one of the best, you have to stretch yourself and play the best. I did not like the way the OSU game played out, but I am glad we played it.

Did you notice how many bowls had asterisks indicating that their contracted league would not be able to fill the game?
Many of these were then (projected to be) filled by Conf USA or Sun Belt teams, and they appeared to be "better bowls" than the contracted AAC bowls.

Unfortunately the AAC just announced a few months ago a new bowl agreement starting in 2020 that extends out to 2025. The bowl tie-ins don't look anymore appealing and might actually be worse:

https://theamerican.org/news/2019/7/16/f...ineup.aspx

American Athletic Conference Bowl Lineup (2020-25)
Annual Appearances
Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman (Annapolis, Maryland)
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl (Fort Worth, Texas)
SoFi Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, Hawaii) – alternating years
Bowl game to be named – (Boston, Massachusetts)

Four Selections Annually From the Following
Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham, Alabama)
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa, Florida)
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (Dallas, Texas)
Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Florida)
Frisco Bowl (Frisco, Texas)
AutoNation Cure Bowl (Orlando, Florida)
Myrtle Beach Bowl (Myrtle Beach, South Carolina)
New Mexico Bowl (Albuquerque, New Mexico)

10-08-2019 10:00 AM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
(10-08-2019 10:00 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(10-08-2019 09:47 AM)ucbandguy Wrote:  If you want to be known as one of the best, you have to stretch yourself and play the best. I did not like the way the OSU game played out, but I am glad we played it.

Unfortunately the AAC just announced a few months ago a new bowl agreement starting in 2020 that extends out to 2025. The bowl tie-ins don't look anymore appealing and might actually be worse:

https://theamerican.org/news/2019/7/16/f...ineup.aspx

American Athletic Conference Bowl Lineup (2020-25)
Annual Appearances
Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman (Annapolis, Maryland)
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl (Fort Worth, Texas)
SoFi Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, Hawaii) – alternating years
Bowl game to be named – (Boston, Massachusetts)

Four Selections Annually From the Following
Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham, Alabama)
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa, Florida)
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (Dallas, Texas)
Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Florida)
Frisco Bowl (Frisco, Texas)
AutoNation Cure Bowl (Orlando, Florida)
Myrtle Beach Bowl (Myrtle Beach, South Carolina)
New Mexico Bowl (Albuquerque, New Mexico)

And the horrible part of this equation is that finishing first in the AAC but not gaining a NY6 bowl, does not qualify a team for any specific bowl. So if that is UC's fate this year, and the Military Bowl does not want us again, we are likely to be shipped to an empty stadium in Hawaii or a soccer stadium in Texas. LOL

And this silly ass league still uses the P6 chains on the side-lines.

Our true bowl game will be the AAC Championship game. Hopefully we will get to make history and have the game played in Nippert. Never has our beloved grounds hosted a post season league championship game.
"2019 WE MAKE HISTORY!!!"

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2019 12:50 PM by Ragpicker.)
10-08-2019 12:26 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(10-08-2019 08:46 AM)cincy7718 Wrote:  "osu had one of their best teams ever. they wont always be that good. our program is still growing. we'll do better next time" -every UC fan since 2002...

Yep, this place was flooded with those kinds of posts throughout the Tuberville era (not to mention the Minter and Dantonio eras.) We've all been saying we have OSU right where we want them since 2002! Yes, I'm being sarcastic... that simply hasn't been the case so I don't know what point you think you are making by inventing it but "it's not the way to build national respect."

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2019 12:31 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
10-08-2019 12:26 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

Donators
(10-07-2019 05:33 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Stop scheduling those games and playoffs will never be a possibility. I realize everyone's already resigned themselves to that fate but frankly I haven't and Id hope the administration hasn't either.

PLAYOFFS WILL NEVER HAPPEN - AAC LEGAL BY-LAW FU666

10-08-2019 12:59 PM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(10-08-2019 08:46 AM)cincy7718 Wrote:  "osu had one of their best teams ever. they wont always be that good. our program is still growing. we'll do better next time" -every UC fan since 2002

even if by some miracle we had won we still wouldnt sniff the playoff. "new coach, new QB, UC got lucky and caught them early in the year. one lucky game doesnt deserve a playoff spot" it would NEVER be viewed nationally as UC having a big win, but as osu stumbling.

did you guys not watch ucf? even after they beat auburn in the bowl, nobody respects them. had they won that game during the regular season it wouldnt have made a difference, and they hit the jackpot of going undefeated on a season when nobody else did. then they went undefeated the next season and still didnt even get considered. neither season was it a close call that came down to sos. they never even got looked at. sorry to be the one to tell you santa's not real, but college football playoff is fixed and we're on the wrong side.

scheduling buy games years in advance hoping the stars align is not a strategy to build our program. its just foolish. we eek out a win last year against ohio u and suddenly people want to charge columbus. schedule winnable games. that way on down years we dont get humiliated, and on up years we're setup for a conference win and legit run at a NY6 bowl. those are our season goals. anybody talking playoffs isnt accepting reality.
win as many games as possible and grow the program so that when realignment happens again our resume has the most wins and and very few 42-0 stompings. that loss hurts recruiting, pushed away casual fans and will be a serious black eye for the rest of the season as it will be mentioned on every televised game for the rest of the year -both our games and osu's. not the way to build national respect.

If we beat OSU at OSU we would be a legit playoff contender, assuming we won the rest of our games. We would likely have 4-5 wins against top 25 teams (OSU, UCF, Memphis, AAC Championship, and possibly Temple when we play) including a win on the road against #5 OSU as well as 2 wins against Power 5 schools in non conference. To be honest, that resume would compare favorably to a lot of Playoff teams, including last year’s national champion Clemson IMO. Would we need a few teams to drop a game, yes but that’s likely to happen anyway. It would definitely give us a legitimate shot that no other G5 has had.

I’d also disagree that UCF didn’t get any national respect after their win against Auburn. They received a ton of exposure after their bowl win. There were even some polls that back up their claim as finishing #1 that season. They also finished #6 in the College Football Final Ranking despite only 3 wins against Top 25 teams. All 3 of those wins came at home or neutral sites. 2 were by 1 possession or less and 1 was in Overtime and the highest ranked team in the regular season was #21.

Cincinnati’s theoretical 2019 undefeated season would be several orders of magnitude better with how things currently look. They would already have 2 better wins with a top 5 win on the road, a top 20 win as well as at least 2 more Top 25 wins (Memphis, AAC Championship game, with possibly another Top 25 team-Temple). I don’t think the resumes would even be close, yet UCF finished just 2 spots outside the CFP.

10-08-2019 01:08 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

Donators
(10-08-2019 01:08 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  

If we beat OSU at OSU we would be a legit playoff contender, assuming we won the rest of our games. We would likely have 4-5 wins against top 25 teams (OSU, UCF, Memphis, AAC Championship, and possibly Temple when we play) including a win on the road against #5 OSU as well as 2 wins against Power 5 schools in non conference. To be honest, that resume would compare favorably to a lot of Playoff teams, including last year’s national champion Clemson IMO. Would we need a few teams to drop a game, yes but that’s likely to happen anyway. It would definitely give us a legitimate shot that no other G5 has had.

I’d also disagree that UCF didn’t get any national respect after their win against Auburn. They received a ton of exposure after their bowl win. There were even some polls that back up their claim as finishing #1 that season. They also finished #6 in the College Football Final Ranking despite only 3 wins against Top 25 teams. All 3 of those wins came at home or neutral sites. 2 were by 1 possession or less and 1 was in Overtime and the highest ranked team in the regular season was #21.

Cincinnati’s theoretical 2019 undefeated season would be several orders of magnitude better with how things currently look. They would already have 2 better wins with a top 5 win on the road, a top 20 win as well as at least 2 more Top 25 wins (Memphis, AAC Championship game, with possibly another Top 25 team-Temple). I don’t think the resumes would even be close, yet UCF finished just 2 spots outside the CFP.

And at best UC would finish #5. Your analysis above is totally void of the most important statistic thus your conclusion is invalid. You forgot about.....
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.00

NEVER will the P5 let a non-P5 team into the money! NEVER

By allowing UCF, or Boise, or even a UC into the current playoff structure, some P5 league would lose out on roughly $50M. So again, NEVER.

You realize that the P5 schools voted themselves an extra 1/2 of a vote regarding all things NCAA. So Purdue posts their ballot and gets 1.5, UC gets just 1.0. It's their weighted average of democracy. They believe that they have invested more thus any changes to the NCAA rules will affect them more so Alabama should get more of a say then Bowling Green. Of course they have invested more....because they rigged the system so they get more. Lots and lots more.

Not long ago Louisville, Pitt and UC were pretty much the same with regards to athletic budgets. In just 5 years those schools move to the ACC, they have generated over $100M more in revenue then UC. In 5 more years that will be $200M and probably higher with new contracts.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2019 01:39 PM by Ragpicker.)
10-08-2019 01:28 PM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(10-08-2019 01:28 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  

And at best UC would finish #5. Your analysis above is totally void of the most important statistic thus your conclusion is invalid. You forgot about.....

By allowing UCF, or Boise, or even a UC into the current playoff structure, some P5 league would lose out on roughly $50M. So again, NEVER.

We’ve yet to see a G5 team with a resume deserving of a CFP bid IMO. They aren’t going to give it up easily, which is why we would have to force their hand by going undefeated with a resume that is deserving. Scheduling to play teams like OSU and Notre Dame can help force their hand, especially if the AAC continues to improve as we have seen.

In the end, I go back to my point on asking what does it hurt? I believe we will still get into a NY6 bowl game if our only loss is on the road to a Top 5 team, so what’s the downside? Try for the CFP but happily take a NY6 bowl game.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2019 01:40 PM by C1ncy4Life.)
10-08-2019 01:38 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

Donators
(10-08-2019 01:38 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  

We’ve yet to see a G5 team with a resume deserving of a CFP bid IMO. They aren’t going to give it up easily, which is why we would have to force their hand by going undefeated with a resume that is deserving. Scheduling to play teams like OSU and Notre Dame can help force their hand, especially if the AAC continues to improve as we have seen.

In the end, I go back to my point on asking what does it hurt? I believe we will still get into a NY6 bowl game if our only loss is on the road to a Top 5 team, so what’s the downside? Try for the CFP but happily take a NY6 bowl game.

Stop trying to use logic when it comes to the NCAA football cartel. If UC would have beat OSU and run the table they still would have been left out. When it came time for the final selection, UC would be kept out for some weird logic like "well when you play schools like Marshall and Miami of Ohio you simply don't deserve to get into the National Championship conversation." The P5 cartel with NEVER allow it.

10-08-2019 01:45 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
(10-08-2019 12:59 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  
(10-07-2019 05:33 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Stop scheduling those games and playoffs will never be a possibility. I realize everyone's already resigned themselves to that fate but frankly I haven't and Id hope the administration hasn't either.

PLAYOFFS WILL NEVER HAPPEN - AAC LEGAL BY-LAW FU666

10-08-2019 01:47 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

(10-08-2019 01:45 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  Stop trying to use logic when it comes to the NCAA football cartel. If UC would have beat OSU and run the table they still would have been left out. When it came time for the final selection, UC would be kept out for some weird logic like "well when you play schools like Marshall and Miami of Ohio you simply don't deserve to get into the National Championship conversation." The P5 cartel with NEVER allow it.

10-08-2019 01:50 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

(10-08-2019 01:38 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  We’ve yet to see a G5 team with a resume deserving of a CFP bid IMO. They aren’t going to give it up easily, which is why we would have to force their hand by going undefeated with a resume that is deserving. Scheduling to play teams like OSU and Notre Dame can help force their hand, especially if the AAC continues to improve as we have seen.

Stop trying to use logic.

10-08-2019 01:53 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

Donators
UC plays in a delusional league that puts up P6 signs. There is no such thing. Just like UCF's fantasy National Championship.

10-08-2019 02:03 PM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(10-08-2019 01:45 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  

Stop trying to use logic when it comes to the NCAA football cartel. If UC would have beat OSU and run the table they still would have been left out. When it came time for the final selection, UC would be kept out for some weird logic like "well when you play schools like Marshall and Miami of Ohio you simply don't deserve to get into the National Championship conversation." The P5 cartel with NEVER allow it.

Again, if we run the table and get a NY6 bowl game the what does it hurt?

10-08-2019 02:25 PM
dubcat14 Offline
1st String

What does playing and losing to OSU prevent you from? There's a 95% chance that going 12-1 with OSU as the only loss still gets you to the New Years Day bowl, correct? So we win and toot our horn that we're 13-0 and naysayers say we still don't have a shot at the playoffs... okay cool, so we go to a fancy bowl. We lose, go 12-1, we still go to a fancy bowl.

Sounds like people who are arguing that it's a no win situation because winning still won't get us to the playoff need to realize it's really a no lose situation too because either result still gives us a shot at our best bowl opportunity.. it didn't disrupt us from our path to a NY6 bowl.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2019 02:49 PM by dubcat14.)
10-08-2019 02:49 PM
natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
(10-08-2019 02:49 PM)dubcat14 Wrote:  What does playing and losing to OSU prevent you from? There's a 95% chance that going 12-1 with OSU as the only loss still gets you to the New Years Day bowl, correct? So we win and toot our horn that we're 13-0 and naysayers say we still don't have a shot at the playoffs... okay cool, so we go to a fancy bowl. We lose, go 12-1, we still go to a fancy bowl.

Sounds like people who are arguing that it's a no win situation because winning still won't get us to the playoff need to realize it's really a no lose situation too because either result still gives us a shot at our best bowl opportunity.. it didn't disrupt us from our path to a NY6 bowl.

I agree. We make some nice coin and played a blue blood. Now the rankings might now reflect it at this point, but if we finish undefeated the rest of the year I'd say 98% chance we go to the NYD Bowl.

Unfortunately, we have only played OSU when they have had their two best teams since 2000 as well as their luckiest. This year and 2014 as their two best teams. 2002 as their luckiest.

10-08-2019 03:01 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

Donators
(10-08-2019 02:25 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  
(10-08-2019 01:45 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  
(10-08-2019 01:08 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  If we beat OSU at OSU we would be a legit playoff contender, assuming we won the rest of our games. We would likely have 4-5 wins against top 25 teams (OSU, UCF, Memphis, AAC Championship, and possibly Temple when we play) including a win on the road against #5 OSU as well as 2 wins against Power 5 schools in non conference. To be honest, that resume would compare favorably to a lot of Playoff teams, including last year’s national champion Clemson IMO. Would we need a few teams to drop a game, yes but that’s likely to happen anyway. It would definitely give us a legitimate shot that no other G5 has had.

Again, if we run the table and get a NY6 bowl game the what does it hurt?

A NY6 bowl is certainly attainable. And still within UC's reach this season.

10-08-2019 03:13 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
I just don’t see how the committee would deny an undefeated Boise State over a one loss Cincinnati. Playing OSU gives UC zero room for error the rest of the way. Let’s say UC loses to Houston but wins out, If the OSU game was replaced with win over Akron then we would looking at 12-1 and basically the front runner if Boise State loses. A second loss basically kills off the NY6 chance unless someone other then Boise State wins the MWC.

If UC is 5-0 they would be ranked around 14 through 20. A loss would drop UC to around 20 to 25.

At 4-1 and ranked 25 they second loss puts UC out of the top 25.

Don’t give me the playoff nonsense until UC actually has the roster to win it.

10-08-2019 03:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.