Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

California Schools Will Not Be Part Of The NCAA In 2023 If Newsom Signs The Bill
mpurdy22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Miami (OH)
RE: California Schools Will Not Be Part Of The NCAA In 2023 If Newsom Signs The Bill
Maybe schools can offer kids the option? Come to said school and choose one: take a scholarship and the free education or forgo that incentive and leave yourself open to earn money in the free market. Pick one. The NCAA should encourage the NFL and the NBA to get rid of any age requirements or years in school rule. If a kid thinks they are good enough to get paid for their athletic ability, then allow them. I am tired of kids that are in school simply as a launching point to a pro sports career and really don't want to be in school. They are taking away opportunities from other marginal athletes that could take advantage of a free education and that actually want to learn and prepare themselves for other careers instead of being in debt over $50,000.
10-03-2019 07:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: California Schools Will Not Be Part Of The NCAA In 2023 If Newsom Signs The Bill
(10-03-2019 07:16 AM)mpurdy22 Wrote:  Maybe schools can offer kids the option? Come to said school and choose one: take a scholarship and the free education or forgo that incentive and leave yourself open to earn money in the free market. Pick one. The NCAA should encourage the NFL and the NBA to get rid of any age requirements or years in school rule. If a kid thinks they are good enough to get paid for their athletic ability, then allow them. I am tired of kids that are in school simply as a launching point to a pro sports career and really don't want to be in school. They are taking away opportunities from other marginal athletes that could take advantage of a free education and that actually want to learn and prepare themselves for other careers instead of being in debt over $50,000.

It just boggles my mind how people justify these types of views about athletes that don’t apply to any other type of profession. Let’s put aside (once again) that most athletes don’t receive any type of scholarship yet are still subject to the compensation prohibition, so the “offer” that you propose provides zero value to them. Are we tired of students that are just going to school simply as a launching point to careers in finance or engineering and really don’t want to be in school? Do we say that about musicians that are music majors? Do we say that about writers that are English majors? Do we say that about actors that are drama majors? Do we foreclose compensation to any other the foregoing whole they are in college, whether they are on scholarships or not? The answers are no, no, no, no and no.

Yet, we se many people suddenly apply different standards to athletes. Why? Because of how it makes us “feel” as fans in how we watch games (where there’s some type of amorphous distinction between “amateurs” and “semi-pros”)? Because we’re worried that the big, bad power school down the road can take advantage of it more than our own school? Because of something much darker whether consciously or subconsciously (e.g. finance and engineering majors typically come from higher income backgrounds that would be going to college no matter what, yet some people are interestingly more bothered by athletes getting paid despite them coming disproportionately from lower income backgrounds that wouldn’t ever be able to afford college on their own)?

We can say that there will be unintended consequences, or people will abuse the system, or that how we feel as fans will change, or that there are going to be a lot of problems. All of that could be true... and none of that can justify telling a single person whose endorsement value is more than $0 that he/she can’t receive compensation for his/her name and likeness when every other non-athlete on campus is able to do so. Fandom has warped all logic for a practice that would be thrown out as illegal on its face in any other area of society.
10-03-2019 08:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Jim Delany, who made $5.5M in '18, used one of his last public appearances to dismiss NIL compensation.

Huge freaking hypocrite. He made millions as commissioner of a "amateur" sports conference.

https://watchstadium.com/news/name-image...0-02-2019/
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2019 08:26 AM by TerryD.)
10-03-2019 08:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(10-03-2019 08:22 AM)TerryD Wrote:  Jim Delany, who made $5.5M in '18, used one of his last public appearances to dismiss NIL compensation.

The NBA, NFL, MLB etc. must be extremely envious of the NCAA. NCAA is fully professional for everyone involved - coaches, staff, administrators (school, conference, NCAA) - for them the sky's the limit in terms of compensation, everyone except for the players, who are basically kept on a very low and rigid salary cap in the for of the scholarships and FCOA.
10-03-2019 08:27 AM
mpurdy22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Miami (OH)
(10-03-2019 08:15 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(10-03-2019 07:16 AM)mpurdy22 Wrote:  Maybe schools can offer kids the option? Come to said school and choose one: take a scholarship and the free education or forgo that incentive and leave yourself open to earn money in the free market. Pick one. The NCAA should encourage the NFL and the NBA to get rid of any age requirements or years in school rule. If a kid thinks they are good enough to get paid for their athletic ability, then allow them. I am tired of kids that are in school simply as a launching point to a pro sports career and really don't want to be in school. They are taking away opportunities from other marginal athletes that could take advantage of a free education and that actually want to learn and prepare themselves for other careers instead of being in debt over $50,000.

It just boggles my mind how people justify these types of views about athletes that don’t apply to any other type of profession. Let’s put aside (once again) that most athletes don’t receive any type of scholarship yet are still subject to the compensation prohibition, so the “offer” that you propose provides zero value to them. Are we tired of students that are just going to school simply as a launching point to careers in finance or engineering and really don’t want to be in school? Do we say that about musicians that are music majors? Do we say that about writers that are English majors? Do we say that about actors that are drama majors? Do we foreclose compensation to any other the foregoing whole they are in college, whether they are on scholarships or not? The answers are no, no, no, no and no.

Yet, we se many people suddenly apply different standards to athletes. Why? Because of how it makes us “feel” as fans in how we watch games (where there’s some type of amorphous distinction between “amateurs” and “semi-pros”)? Because we’re worried that the big, bad power school down the road can take advantage of it more than our own school? Because of something much darker whether consciously or subconsciously (e.g. finance and engineering majors typically come from higher income backgrounds that would be going to college no matter what, yet some people are interestingly more bothered by athletes getting paid despite them coming disproportionately from lower income backgrounds that wouldn’t ever be able to afford college on their own)?

We can say that there will be unintended consequences, or people will abuse the system, or that how we feel as fans will change, or that there are going to be a lot of problems. All of that could be true... and none of that can justify telling a single person whose endorsement value is more than $0 that he/she can’t receive compensation for his/her name and likeness when every other non-athlete on campus is able to do so. Fandom has warped all logic for a practice that would be thrown out as illegal on its face in any other area of society.

And they are taking advantage of the scholarships they get. They are not getting endorsements on the side! Some of them are still to this day paying their own way. Apples to Oranges sir.
10-03-2019 08:30 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Here come the feds. You had to know this was how it would eventually go. Each state doing it just makes no sense.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor...e-athletes
10-03-2019 09:08 AM
chester Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Alabama
(10-03-2019 09:08 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Here come the feds. You had to know this was how it would eventually go. Each state doing it just makes no sense.

Maybe it's the cynic in me, and I apologize to Congressman Gonzalez if I'm mistaken, but it looks like the purpose of this bill will be to simply mirror what meager "reforms" the Ackerman/Smith NIL work group recommends.

Quote:SMITH: OK, Anthony, we want it to say this and that. Now get it done. Don't let your school down! And if you see Mark Walker or Chris Murphy walking toward your office, lock the door!

Seriously though, here's hoping there are more than a few in Congress who will keep the heat on.
10-04-2019 08:56 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(10-03-2019 09:08 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Here come the feds. You had to know this was how it would eventually go. Each state doing it just makes no sense.

Exactly. A good case to overturn all of these state laws can probably be made using aspects of the commerce clause. The federal law will be the one to watch.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2019 09:33 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-04-2019 09:31 PM
chester Offline
Special Teams

(10-04-2019 09:31 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Exactly. A good case to overturn all of these state laws can probably be made using aspects of the commerce clause. The federal law will be the one to watch.

Picturing Emmert at a hearing on Capitol Hill trying to justify the Cartel's bogus "amateurism" model beneath the hard stares of legislators who have sheets filled with facts and figures before them. Now that would be must watch TV. COGS
10-04-2019 11:34 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(10-04-2019 11:34 PM)chester Wrote:  

Picturing Emmert at a hearing on Capitol Hill trying to justify the Cartel's bogus "amateurism" model beneath the hard stares of legislators who have sheets filled with facts and figures before them. Now that would be must watch TV. COGS

The best exhibit for Emmett would be the flop pro Alliance of American Football league that collapsed in about 15 minutes and couldn’t draw flies. By comparison, the student athlete amateur model seems to be quite healthy and doing well. Don’t fix what ain’t broke....There is no market for NFL lite.
10-05-2019 02:22 AM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State

The NCAA's problem now is with Florida. The HB287, if passed, would become law not in 2023 like California, but on July 1, 2020.

https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/...ssion=2020
10-05-2019 05:33 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(10-05-2019 02:22 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

The best exhibit for Emmett would be the flop pro Alliance of American Football league that collapsed in about 15 minutes and couldn’t draw flies. By comparison, the student athlete amateur model seems to be quite healthy and doing well. Don’t fix what ain’t broke....There is no market for NFL lite.

I think anyone who believe that a federal law would be somehow more favorable to the current NCAA shamateur model is engaging in wishful thinking. There's zero reason to believe that federal legislators have different ideas from state lawmakers.

That's because the issue isn't "stability" and what draws flies, it's what is perceived to be right and wrong about the current NCAA model *for players*, not the institutions.

Everyone knows the institutions are happy with the status quo.
10-05-2019 06:02 AM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(10-05-2019 06:02 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-05-2019 02:22 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I think anyone who believe that a federal law would be somehow more favorable to the current NCAA shamateur model is engaging in wishful thinking. There's zero reason to believe that federal legislators have different ideas from state lawmakers.

That's because the issue isn't "stability" and what draws flies, it's what is perceived to be right and wrong about the current NCAA model *for players*, not the institutions.

Everyone knows the institutions are happy with the status quo.

I don't think they are happy with the status quo. They accept the status quo, but would prefer the time circa 2014, before they had to shoulder the Full Cost of Attendance.
10-05-2019 06:17 AM
chester Offline
Special Teams

Can't find a confirming link now, but on the subject of a congressional bills, Jay Bilas will be speaking on the NIL issue at a press conference in Washington on the 16th. That's at the invitation of Congressman Mark Walker, who is no doubt looking to drum up more political support for HR 1804.

BTW, would totally get behind Bilas for NCAA prez, lol
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2019 11:06 PM by chester.)
10-07-2019 11:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.