Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

I think our band needs to update their catalog
Bookmark and Share
Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
I think our band needs to update their catalog
Bringing sexy back, nuck if you buck, etc.... it’s time to update the tune list. Hell even ole miss played game of thrones theme song and it sounded great
09-08-2019 11:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: I think our band needs to update their catalog
I’ve been saying this for years. They play pretty much the same old songs for years plus I wished they put a little more flash in their production. Don’t have to go all in like Southern U band but step it up a bit
09-08-2019 11:20 AM
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
i liked the trombone / sax guys at half time

those guys can play, and that is new for this year
09-08-2019 11:29 AM
Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
It would be nice if they doubled in size too, you look at other schools bands like Texas, Auburn, FSU- their bands are massive
09-08-2019 11:29 AM
Advertisement

tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-08-2019 11:29 AM)Bathtub Gin Wrote:  It would be nice if they doubled in size too, you look at other schools bands like Texas, Auburn, FSU- their bands are massive

LOL, well yeah because those schools have unlimited budgets for all departments. Memphis does not. Heck they had to fight like mad just to update simple biology labs a couple of years ago. You simply cannot compare Memphis to those schools, or even UT for that matter, in any way, shape or form.
09-08-2019 12:08 PM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-08-2019 12:08 PM)tigerlands Wrote:  
(09-08-2019 11:29 AM)Bathtub Gin Wrote:  It would be nice if they doubled in size too, you look at other schools bands like Texas, Auburn, FSU- their bands are massive

LOL, well yeah because those schools have unlimited budgets for all departments. Memphis does not. Heck they had to fight like mad just to update simple biology labs a couple of years ago. You simply cannot compare Memphis to those schools, or even UT for that matter, in any way, shape or form.

Itawamba CC in Fulton MS typically fields 350-500 in their band. With about 3000 students.(CC’s March in every towns Christmas parade, and ICC can send bands to 5 parades on the same day). Quality music, too.
09-08-2019 12:48 PM
mattfromdburgdburg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tigers
It amazes me that we lack any quick, spirit songs that can played in between plays. EVERY other band has a repertoire of fast and peppy songs for in between offensive plays and loud and fiery songs for in between plays on defense. Our band RARELY is able to even finish our first down spirit song after first downs and that's IF they even have time to even start it.

If Auburn and other high paced offenses can fit in a first down song, we should be able to. Our band is great, and I know they could do it.
09-08-2019 01:11 PM
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(09-08-2019 01:11 PM)mattfromdburgdburg Wrote:  It amazes me that we lack any quick, spirit songs that can played in between plays. EVERY other band has a repertoire of fast and peppy songs for in between offensive plays and loud and fiery songs for in between plays on defense. Our band RARELY is able to even finish our first down spirit song after first downs and that's IF they even have time to even start it.

If Auburn and other high paced offenses can fit in a first down song, we should be able to. Our band is great, and I know they could do it.

You have to realize Dr. Plank is up their waiting with a headset on to be told WHEN he can play. I agree with you, but the problem is complicated with a bunch of moving parts. Part of the problem is our game-day production crew. They are blowing a freaking first down truck horn while we are in cadence for the next play. Can't start the car race video on time. It's like a monkey effing a football up there. Also, since we play fast tempo offense, that puts a squeeze on the band starting and finishing in between plays.
09-08-2019 06:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I would guess 10K or so would get you a new tune.
09-08-2019 06:53 PM
mattfromdburgdburg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tigers
(09-08-2019 06:33 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  
(09-08-2019 01:11 PM)mattfromdburgdburg Wrote:  It amazes me that we lack any quick, spirit songs that can played in between plays. EVERY other band has a repertoire of fast and peppy songs for in between offensive plays and loud and fiery songs for in between plays on defense. Our band RARELY is able to even finish our first down spirit song after first downs and that's IF they even have time to even start it.

You have to realize Dr. Plank is up their waiting with a headset on to be told WHEN he can play. I agree with you, but the problem is complicated with a bunch of moving parts. Part of the problem is our game-day production crew. They are blowing a freaking first down truck horn while we are in cadence for the next play. Can't start the car race video on time. It's like a monkey effing a football up there. Also, since we play fast tempo offense, that puts a squeeze on the band starting and finishing in between plays.

Then our game-day production crew needs to butt out. They should look around, because seriously EVERYONE else can pull it off. Sounds like our band is stymied by someone who's given a head-set and too much of authority over our game day environment. Silly.
09-08-2019 08:25 PM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

(09-08-2019 08:25 PM)mattfromdburgdburg Wrote:  

Then our game-day production crew needs to butt out. They should look around, because seriously EVERYONE else can pull it off. Sounds like our band is stymied by someone who's given a head-set and too much of authority over our game day environment. Silly.

Careful...If our band plays too much they will be called rude.
09-09-2019 08:29 AM
ummechengr Offline
C'mon....really!?!?!

I can't help but think that a major contributor is the fact we're not a P5 school...and need the ridiculous amount of promotions to help make ends meet. I imagine the schools that were mentioned as "everybody", are part of a system that provides a healthy subsidy....

Also, if our band doesn't stop before play resumes, as per NCAA rules, Imma call them rude.
Quote:PENALTY - Dead-ball foul. 15 yards from the succeeding spot. Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict with other rules.
09-09-2019 08:44 AM
tiger ron Offline
2nd String

I Root For: memphis tigers
I think Memphis has an exceptional band. They are not as loud as Southern because Southern is made up mostly of brass and very little woodwind and flutes. That is find, but as a spectator, it was actually a little too loud for me. I think the University game day scheduling does not allow enough band participation. Too much piped in music and commercial stunts. Does not allow enough time for the band and cheer squad to get the crowd going.
09-09-2019 09:16 AM
Advertisement

tigersgrizzfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: tigersgrizz
(09-09-2019 09:16 AM)tiger ron Wrote:  I think Memphis has an exceptional band. They are not as loud as Southern because Southern is made up mostly of brass and very little woodwind and flutes. That is find, but as a spectator, it was actually a little too loud for me. I think the University game day scheduling does not allow enough band participation. Too much piped in music and commercial stunts. Does not allow enough time for the band and cheer squad to get the crowd going.

this is an understatement

100% agree
09-09-2019 09:43 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Like everything else, who is responsible for game day production - school or LBMS?
09-12-2019 01:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.