Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USM vs MSU
Bookmark and Share
EagNBran Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: USM vs MSU
We can make excuses all day about the changing college landscape, but the reality is that there are still plenty of athletes out there that can be swayed to come to Southern Miss. Fedora recruited players no one thought we’d ever have a chance at. And while that version of CUSA was definitely better, let’s not pretend it had some great perception. Everyone wanted out. And yet we recruited to it. The right coach can still recruit players to Southern Miss.

Year 4 of Hopson and it’s been a long, boring stretch. Bad offense, average defense, SWAC talent, SWAC coaching. Administration thinks things are fine apparently. Leadership loves their Hop hop to the top. Remember, these are the same people who hired Ladner over better, more successful options. The same Ladner who accomplished zero at Southeastern Louisiana, a school with similar basketball resources to our own. And why? Because he’s a nice, Southern Miss guy who won’t leave us if he has success. The President and many big donors who control the school are perfectly content being average in the worst conference in the country as long as they keep their power.

And we actually wonder why people don’t come to games. Who wants to support this? Alumni don’t owe this school anything, and casual fans with no degree certainly don’t. You have to make it worth our time and money to come out, especially time. You can give free tickets, but if people believe the product is awful, many will pass. Heck, look at the student section. When I was there just seven years ago, in an 0-12 year, we were filling the bottom two sections and stretching toward filling the top two. Now the school has to use the excuse of ‘family fun zone’ to throw the band back over there so our student section doesn’t look as embarrassing as it actually is. Can’t even fill up one section with students, and I can promise you it’ll be even emptier against UTEP. And quite frankly, I hope the rest of the stands are too. Until the University sees financial issues with the current product by low attendance numbers, they’re content with average. I mean, isn’t this why we fired Bower? Because of complacent mediocrity?

Our fans aren’t stupid. They know the product we put out on the field would get slaughtered by some FCS schools. We may get bowl eligibility only because of how bad our conference is, but with 1-3 looking us in the face and UNT, UAB, FAU, and La Tech on the schedule, it’s suddenly looking grim. And that should be the only statement needed for McClain to make a change. The fact that any of those games are even in question is an indictment on this program and it’s leadership.

That’s my rant for tonight. I’m sure I could say a lot more, but I have work in the morning. All I know is I can’t support the product I’m seeing, not because I don’t love my school, but because I care too much to support this garbage. And you can say that staying at home doesn’t solve the problem, but I can promise you sitting in the stands isn’t either. The school doesn’t care about our opinions (unless you’re a top donor) and won’t listen to fan concerns. They refuse to even address our conference situation and are embarrassed at the idea of saying we wanna get out of this league. I want an AD like East Carolina had who whores himself out to conferences and makes it abundantly clear that this is not what we want; that we want better.

But many of you in here are correct. We are where we are and we won’t do better. That’s the mindset Giannini had, the mindset McGillis had, and the mindset Gilbert had. The only one who didn’t was fired for breaking the status quo and expecting more from our school (Hammond). Where McClain falls, I don’t know, but he was under Giannini, so I wouldn’t be shocked if that mindset is in him as well.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2019 11:06 PM by EagNBran.)
09-08-2019 11:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
Hop's gotta go.. I've said it for a season or two now..
09-09-2019 07:55 AM
Footballeagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USM
(09-08-2019 08:00 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  Honestly, if I’m McClain, when I let Hopson go, I’m sending out a message to all USM Alumni discussing the reason, the desire for greater success, the desire to dominate and leave this league, recruit better, everything. And at the end, I’m going to say that if we want to do that, we have to pay a competitive coaching salary to the head coach and his assistants, something we currently don’t. So if you’re on board and want to see our team back on top and moving to where we want to go, this is our financial goal for this coaching hire and here’s a place to contribute.

Let fans invest into the coaching hire. Many aren’t going to give to the black hole that is our athletic department, but you tell me you need X amount for a competitive football coach salary, I’ll give you what I can.

The obvious issue is when you get that money, but don’t have the money for Year 2, 3, etc.

I agree with this 100% but if you have spoken to the people in the athletic office that are supposed to go out and sell the university and get donations you would see that we are not up to par in that area either.
09-09-2019 09:09 AM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
Bower was over a decade ago. Ancient history. How much has your phone changed since Bower was on the sidelines? And don’t forget Bower was fired because things had already begun to catch up with us.
Hopson is a good recruiter in this stage of our miserable existence. At least he has that going for him. “IF” he could find a young phenom for OC then we may have a special year but don’t think if we find ‘that’ guy he will be here the next year. We just don’t have the money and it’s not going to appear out of thin air. Look at our crappy conference mates. Many of these dregs are building or practicing in indoor practice facilities. We can’t even compare with that, and don’t think these young recruits don’t see it. They don’t owe USM their presence here just because we beat Alabama 30 years ago. Just the cold hard facts....
09-09-2019 09:32 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-09-2019 09:32 AM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  Bower was over a decade ago. Ancient history. How much has your phone changed since Bower was on the sidelines? And don’t forget Bower was fired because things had already begun to catch up with us.
Hopson is a good recruiter in this stage of our miserable existence. At least he has that going for him. “IF” he could find a young phenom for OC then we may have a special year but don’t think if we find ‘that’ guy he will be here the next year. We just don’t have the money and it’s not going to appear out of thin air. Look at our crappy conference mates. Many of these dregs are building or practicing in indoor practice facilities. We can’t even compare with that, and don’t think these young recruits don’t see it. They don’t owe USM their presence here just because we beat Alabama 30 years ago. Just the cold hard facts....

Hopson is not a good recruiter. This team and the players are no better than the teams and players he had at Alcorn.
09-09-2019 10:41 AM
everyone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
(09-09-2019 10:41 AM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  
(09-09-2019 09:32 AM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  Bower was over a decade ago. Ancient history. How much has your phone changed since Bower was on the sidelines? And don’t forget Bower was fired because things had already begun to catch up with us.

Hopson is not a good recruiter. This team and the players are no better than the teams and players he had at Alcorn.

Yea he is not a good recruiter. We make more offers than any other school and look at what we have...that is not the sign of a good recruiter.
09-09-2019 10:49 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

Hire Joker Phillips. He is making $375,000 as Co-Off Coordinator and WR coach at Maryland. They are leading the country by far in scoring.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2019 11:02 AM by Eagleaidaholic.)
09-09-2019 10:59 AM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

Brilliant observation there! So why did we beat Alcorn?
09-09-2019 11:09 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-09-2019 11:09 AM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  

Brilliant observation there! So why did we beat Alcorn?
He hasn't coached at Alcorn in over three years.
09-09-2019 11:22 AM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(09-08-2019 10:41 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  The world was drastically changing then, and it’s not even close to being the same world now. I understand your (and many others) yearning to be relevant in the big boy world of college football again. But it’s just not going to happen. The money nor the support of the administration or the college board is just not there. We are, simply, what we are.

I don’t even care about the “big boy world of college football” anymore. Seriously—and you can find me saying this here before—I’d rather watch a MWC or MAC game than an Big Ten or SEC game. My disgust is with how we’re becoming bigger nobodies in our own world, apples to apples. It’s not asking too much, given what we DO have relative to the pack, to be one of the 10-15 best G5 teams most years. We haven’t even sniffed a division title in CUSA since Hopson took over. The closest we’ve come is tied for second, 2 games back, last season.

Louisiana Tech wishes they had the support & facilities we do, and they’ve played in title game since we last did. Marshall’s pretty similar to us, and they won 9 games last year.

Add another similarity between now and the final Bower years: people rattling off excuses and saying we have no right to think we can do better.

Quote:As far as Hopson goes let me ask you this: would you be talking about Hopson’s lack of coaching skills now if this ‘supportive’ administration had allowed him to hire Briles? I suspect we would all be praising his coaching.

Once again, if that’s the litmus test, nobody out there has a supportive administration because no other university at any level hired Briles, either. Frankly, if hiring a blackballed coach with no other options whose former school is still under investigation was Hopson’s only hope of being successful, that says about all there is to say.
09-09-2019 11:58 AM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

(09-09-2019 11:58 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(09-08-2019 10:41 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  The world was drastically changing then, and it’s not even close to being the same world now. I understand your (and many others) yearning to be relevant in the big boy world of college football again. But it’s just not going to happen. The money nor the support of the administration or the college board is just not there. We are, simply, what we are.

I don’t even care about the “big boy world of college football” anymore. Seriously—and you can find me saying this here before—I’d rather watch a MWC or MAC game than an Big Ten or SEC game. My disgust is with how we’re becoming bigger nobodies in our own world, apples to apples. It’s not asking too much, given what we DO have relative to the pack, to be one of the 10-15 best G5 teams most years. We haven’t even sniffed a division title in CUSA since Hopson took over. The closest we’ve come is tied for second, 2 games back, last season.

Louisiana Tech wishes they had the support & facilities we do, and they’ve played in title game since we last did. Marshall’s pretty similar to us, and they won 9 games last year.

Add another similarity between now and the final Bower years: people rattling off excuses and saying we have no right to think we can do better.

Quote:As far as Hopson goes let me ask you this: would you be talking about Hopson’s lack of coaching skills now if this ‘supportive’ administration had allowed him to hire Briles? I suspect we would all be praising his coaching.

Once again, if that’s the litmus test, nobody out there has a supportive administration because no other university at any level hired Briles, either. Frankly, if hiring a blackballed coach with no other options whose former school is still under investigation was Hopson’s only hope of being successful, that says about all there is to say.

You should take a look at the black balled coaches that resurrected programs in the past. It happens all the time. It just takes some balls to look the wusses in the face and say”FOMF”. We were just to PC to do it. Art Briles will show up somewhere else, probably a P5 school, and after the initial beatchin, he will be hailed as the messiah...
09-09-2019 05:16 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(09-09-2019 05:16 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  You should take a look at the black balled coaches that resurrected programs in the past. It happens all the time. It just takes some balls to look the wusses in the face and say”FOMF”. We were just to PC to do it. Art Briles will show up somewhere else, probably a P5 school, and after the initial beatchin, he will be hailed as the messiah...

How many of those other head coaches were coming from programs with NCAA investigations of felony activity still in progress or hired by a school finishing out an existing probation, much less BOTH of those things?

The man’s name was mud to the point he had to go to Italy to find a job. He may well come out of all this fine and again be known as a college football genius one day, but for now, he’s exiled to a high school as we speak. I wouldn’t have been all that upset about it if we had hired him, but I’m even less upset that we didn’t.

Should the NCAA not find him culpable in their final report, we should just cut to the chase and offer him Hopson’s job.
09-09-2019 09:34 PM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

(09-09-2019 09:34 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(09-09-2019 05:16 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  You should take a look at the black balled coaches that resurrected programs in the past. It happens all the time. It just takes some balls to look the wusses in the face and say”FOMF”. We were just to PC to do it. Art Briles will show up somewhere else, probably a P5 school, and after the initial beatchin, he will be hailed as the messiah...

How many of those other head coaches were coming from programs with NCAA investigations of felony activity still in progress or hired by a school finishing out an existing probation, much less BOTH of those things?

The man’s name was mud to the point he had to go to Italy to find a job. He may well come out of all this fine and again be known as a college football genius one day, but for now, he’s exiled to a high school as we speak. I wouldn’t have been all that upset about it if we had hired him, but I’m even less upset that we didn’t.

Should the NCAA not find him culpable in their final report, we should just cut to the chase and offer him Hopson’s job.

If it’s felonious behavior he was involved in then the local authorities and possibly the FBI would be looking into it. They are not.
Since when does anyone connected to the G5 have any faith in the integrety of the NCAA?
We should have told them to stick their PC up their lazy no good cheating azzes.
09-09-2019 11:47 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

SoMs Eagle Wrote:  If it’s felonious behavior he was involved in then the local authorities and possibly the FBI would be looking into it.

You can do a lot of reprehensible sh*t in this world without directly violating a law yourself. Not to mention the most local of authorities, the campus police, were knee-deep in the mess themselves. Kinda like it’s not a penalty if the ref doesn’t see it, there is no crime if the cops don’t document it.

Quote:Since when does anyone connected to the G5 have any faith in the integrety of the NCAA?

It doesn’t matter what we think of them. They still hold the cards. If anything, as is discussed on this board fairly often, us being a G5 school just makes us even more vulnerable to their decisions.

There are 3 basic potential results for Briles in the final NCAA report on Baylor: 1) he’s found to be in the clear, in which case we could’ve hired him and been fine, 2) he’s found to have been aware of the cover-up (as every human being with two or more functioning brain cells knows already) and gets censured in some fashion, 3) he’s found to have been actively involved in the cover-up, which would result in penalties against him, very possibly including a show-cause. Two of the three possibilities lead to us immediately parting ways with the guy after wading through a sh*t storm to hire him. Those are not good odds. McClain’s original take on the situation was the correct one.

This is all an irrelevant tangent anyway. There are currently 75 schools who’ve scored more points than we have this season, and Briles doesn’t work for any of them.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019 09:25 AM by HarborPointe.)
09-10-2019 09:14 AM
EagNBran Offline
All American

I'm not trying to defend Briles by saying this, but I have a good friend who played baseball with the former baseball coach at Baylor when all this went down. When he asked him his thoughts, he said that Briles did what he thought he was supposed to do, but obviously wasn't enough. He was a high school coach thrown into D1 Athletics and hadn't the slightest clue of proper protocol. He obviously didn't know for sure, but he said he didn't think he tried to hide it, he just didn't know the proper way to handle the situation, so he did the best he could (told university officials).

Does that change the situation? I mean, depends on how true it all is. But I'd wait until the investigation concluded before I hired him. But I also wouldn't have been mad if they had hired him this offseason.
09-10-2019 10:25 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(09-10-2019 10:25 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  I'm not trying to defend Briles by saying this, but I have a good friend who played baseball with the former baseball coach at Baylor when all this went down. When he asked him his thoughts, he said that Briles did what he thought he was supposed to do, but obviously wasn't enough. He was a high school coach thrown into D1 Athletics and hadn't the slightest clue of proper protocol. He obviously didn't know for sure, but he said he didn't think he tried to hide it, he just didn't know the proper way to handle the situation, so he did the best he could (told university officials).

Does that change the situation? I mean, depends on how true it all is. But I'd wait until the investigation concluded before I hired him. But I also wouldn't have been mad if they had hired him this offseason.

while I can't dispute or acknowledge as fact....all majors have that 'oversight committee'....therefore, what does that say about that group at ours...

ref: Tyndall and corp.

I would have hired him based on the interview (if convincing with backing data) and gave da finga to the pc nazi democrats...

one is a nothing but fk'n dipshite to play that game....

ref: how's that working out now for the 'creme crew'...\

#zerosymathy
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019 12:58 PM by stinkfist.)
09-10-2019 12:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.