Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MTSU superfan changes loyalties to UT...answers why on Twitter (yes, very relevant)
Bookmark and Share
EagNBran Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
MTSU superfan changes loyalties to UT...answers why on Twitter (yes, very relevant)
Start at the bottom and read up. Just took the most relevant portions for us.

[Image: Uc1oB9z.png]
[Image: 5FfVrIs.png]
[Image: 78fFlVl.png]
[Image: 5tqQKJ0.png]
[Image: lifcYp6.png]
[Image: 8O6YXBK.png]

I wish I could say that I didn't know so many people who believe the same thing about USM, but I see it all the time. I know a generation of fans who won't come to games because of the incompetence of leadership, the obvious apathy at the school in regards to athletics, and the apathy of so many in attendance at the games. I know a student who told me he won't go to games because they're straight boring and no one is into it.

While this may be one man's opinion on MTSU, gah did I see so much of USM in reading it. We have to change our culture if we want to grow our fanbase and not lose fans to other schools. Because they're going up to Starkville, Oxford, Tuscaloosa, and Baton Rouge weekly, and it's obvious to them that the atmospheres don't compare and that the fans at one place seem to care a lot more than they do in Hattiesburg. And that care is also reflected in the administration leading athletics.
09-03-2019 09:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: MTSU superfan changes loyalties to UT...answers why on Twitter (yes, very relevant)
(09-03-2019 09:45 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  Start at the bottom and read up. Just took the most relevant portions for us.

[Image: Uc1oB9z.png]
[Image: 5FfVrIs.png]
[Image: 78fFlVl.png]
[Image: 5tqQKJ0.png]
[Image: lifcYp6.png]
[Image: 8O6YXBK.png]

I wish I could say that I didn't know so many people who believe the same thing about USM, but I see it all the time. I know a generation of fans who won't come to games because of the incompetence of leadership, the obvious apathy at the school in regards to athletics, and the apathy of so many in attendance at the games. I know a student who told me he won't go to games because they're straight boring and no one is into it.

While this may be one man's opinion on MTSU, gah did I see so much of USM in reading it. We have to change our culture if we want to grow our fanbase and not lose fans to other schools. Because they're going up to Starkville, Oxford, Tuscaloosa, and Baton Rouge weekly, and it's obvious to them that the atmospheres don't compare and that the fans at one place seem to care a lot more than they do in Hattiesburg. And that care is also reflected in the administration leading athletics.

the final phase of realignment and $$$

I find it funny anyone is surprised at this point...

let's review...

ye ole metro was squashed by the 'stache in foosball. ..

our budget is in limbo as others walk by in a jet...

the internet gives props to the 30 d1 add-ons since '90 (last time we were relavent) ...

disclaimer: that's just off me skull cap...
...enjoy og and p-town grids..

do you really think we're flying solo at this point...

there's always women's volleyball...
09-03-2019 10:23 AM
HarborPointe Online
North American Champion

Re: MTSU superfan blah, blah, blah
“Wah, some people don’t like me and the rest don’t pay me enough attention.”

F*** that guy.

As to the bigger issues, it’s all water under the bridge at this point. The point of no return has been crossed. If you’re only comfortable on a bandwagon and need your football allegiance to prop up your manhood, yeah, you’re in the wrong place among the G5.
09-03-2019 04:45 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

RE: MTSU superfan changes loyalties to UT...answers why on Twitter (yes, very relevant)
All I’m saying is that there are a lot of our fans that feel the same. We have to make GameDay something people enjoy and all are welcome to.
09-03-2019 05:34 PM
HarborPointe Online
North American Champion

(09-03-2019 05:34 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  All I’m saying is that there are a lot of our fans that feel the same. We have to make GameDay something people enjoy and all are welcome to.

I agree. 100%, we need to make it the best Southern Miss game day it can be.

That said, yahoos like this guy who are going to complain “it doesn’t measure up to Neyland Stadium” are a lost cause. It ain’t gonna unless you somehow find a time machine and found M.T.S.U. 100 years earlier and plop them in a conference with Georgia and Florida.

Yeah, stay home because there aren’t enough people at the game. That’ll fix that problem.
09-03-2019 06:40 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

I just don't think his complaint was about the # of people at the game, though he did mention that at one point. I think his bigger issue was having people in administration and at games who actually cared, which showed that they cared through their actions.
09-03-2019 08:07 PM
Advertisement

HarborPointe Online
North American Champion

(09-03-2019 08:07 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  I just don't think his complaint was about the # of people at the game, though he did mention that at one point. I think his bigger issue was having people in administration and at games who actually cared, which showed that they cared through their actions.

He did mention that, among griping about not fitting in with the rest of the crowd, being offended because he felt like he was treated differently than donors and alumni (isn’t it funny how self-professed “superfans” are rarely donors?), some political b.s about his actions “leading to tension,” and his ultimately being a Volunteer fan at heart anyway.

It reads more like his problem is not enough people patted him on the head and gave him a cookie for making a spectacle of himself. As the saying goes, with friends like that...
09-03-2019 08:22 PM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

RE: MTSU superfan changes loyalties
I've been to MTSU games and to me you cannot compare what this guy is saying about MTSU to Southern Miss. In my opinion their problems are a whole different level than ours. I believe the guy has the wrong attitude, but I can understand his frustration. Murfreesboro is a nice size city (not sure of population) and is in close proximity to Nashville. MTSU should have more interest than they do. Also MTSU - in the world of college athletics/conference affiliation/academics/student population/etc. have moved up in the world. The administration is doing all it can. The fans should see that and jump on board. Until recently it seemed that Southern Miss had been on a spiral down when it comes to those same topics - and we still have a solid fanbase compared to other CUSA schools.

I do not believe our fans are the problem, never have. Yes, we have some fair weather fans that come and go depending on the good times vs. bad times, but we have a really great fanbase (something MTSU really does not have - or not much of one anyway). And our fanbase can be just as loud/rowdy as SEC fans.

With that said, when there is a constant turnover of conference membership (and downward trend), like we have seen in CUSA, it is completely understandable that fans get disgruntled. You can't take away traditional rivals and not expect fans to get downhearted. Take any SEC school out of the SEC and away from their traditional rivals and put them in the current CUSA and see how many fans get rowdy week after week for opponents they don't give a damn about.

With the moves MTSU has made in recent years it should be just the opposite - fanbase should be growing and interest should be expanding rapidly.

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2019 08:15 PM by Up2stuff.)
09-04-2019 08:15 AM
stinkfist Online

(09-03-2019 04:45 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  “Wah, some people don’t like me and the rest don’t pay me enough attention.”

F*** that guy.

As to the bigger issues, it’s all water under the bridge at this point. The point of no return has been crossed. If you’re only comfortable on a bandwagon and need your football allegiance to prop up your manhood, yeah, you’re in the wrong place among the G5.

w/o increasing our budget coupled with titty IX, we never stood a chance outside of finding another 'diamond in the rough(s)' and the rare upset(s)...

anyone that believes we're 'in form' within a national "draw" in the recruiting realm, is simply fooling themselves...

hiring rogue and/or upcoming coaches and facility upgrades is our best investment moving forward...the tax increase was large for the Yurt in an untapped market...

the next (and final) phase of realignment is on the horizon....I'm predicting the flagships form a new alliance and the rest become fodder fighting over 'stature'..how we spend in the next few years are critical to have a snowball's moving forward....

JMTC
09-04-2019 09:24 AM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
I remember the days of going to Cincinnati, Memphis and Houston. At the time they were so far behind us it was silly. Crappy venues and absolutely no fans.
Now here we are. The question everyone wants answered is ‘why?’. It’s simple really. Money. We have none and they did. That’s the simple reason we were left behind last time. If they had brought us along in the AAC we still wouldn’t have had a snowballs chance to increase our budget like those three have. Unfortunately we just don’t have the money. It’s as simple as that.....
09-04-2019 10:41 AM
Footballeagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USM
(09-04-2019 10:41 AM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  I remember the days of going to Cincinnati, Memphis and Houston. At the time they were so far behind us it was silly. Crappy venues and absolutely no fans.
Now here we are. The question everyone wants answered is ‘why?’. It’s simple really. Money. We have none and they did. That’s the simple reason we were left behind last time. If they had brought us along in the AAC we still wouldn’t have had a snowballs chance to increase our budget like those three have. Unfortunately we just don’t have the money. It’s as simple as that.....

This is the unfortunate truth that many just refuse to believe. We have been passed by so many other teams due to budget size that its ridiculous. USM is where its going to be forever. Maybe we get into some regional realignment with the sunbelt but thats it. We are who we are now and we are where we will be. I will say that G and Martha had as much to do with this as budget during the AAC formation period.
09-04-2019 11:10 AM
Advertisement

nastybunch Offline
Heisman

True Wal Mart bandwagon fans....
09-04-2019 11:53 AM
Black and Gold Battle Umbrella Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USM
My team and school have taken a path that leads to nowhere.

But, when my interest completely dissipates, I couldn't have another.

Not a very honorable fellow, that I can tell you.
09-04-2019 01:03 PM
stinkfist Online

(09-04-2019 10:41 AM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  I remember the days of going to Cincinnati, Memphis and Houston. At the time they were so far behind us it was silly. Crappy venues and absolutely no fans.

one has to admit....UL looked good on the screen last night...I watched the cam view sans the EsPeNile idjuts....

what they've done to their stadium is nothing shy of impressive...

MEM 'finally' decided to invest in football...look at 'em now...

UH simply has a shiteload of $$$ at their disposal....

if there's one truism, "give me a mint....I'll turn it into 'X($$$)' before you can blink"
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2019 02:09 PM by stinkfist.)
09-04-2019 02:06 PM
stinkfist Online

(09-04-2019 01:03 PM)Black and Gold Battle Umbrella Wrote:  My team and school have taken a path that leads to nowhere.

But, when my interest completely dissipates, I couldn't have another.

Not a very honorable fellow, that I can tell you.

lovin' the 2nd line....well done!

#TTThaiku

04-cheers
09-04-2019 05:11 PM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss
(09-04-2019 11:53 AM)nastybunch Wrote:  True Wal Mart bandwagon fans....

aww nasty, everyone's got'em........I'll be in Hburg in the Fall and Coop and I will look ya up for lunch
09-05-2019 01:59 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(09-05-2019 01:59 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  

aww nasty, everyone's got'em........I'll be in Hburg in the Fall and Coop and I will look ya up for lunch

dayum RipVan...did you finally fall out of the cot... 04-cheers
09-05-2019 02:02 PM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
(09-05-2019 02:02 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

It took him a long time to get over chit he can’t control. Good to know he’s still functional.....
09-05-2019 02:10 PM
stinkfist Online

(09-05-2019 02:10 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  

It took him a long time to get over chit he can’t control. Good to know he’s still functional.....

can we coin that as the 'hattiesburger hangover'.... 03-wink
09-05-2019 02:49 PM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss

Quoting Steve McQueen in "Papillon": "I'm still here you B*stards!" 04-cheers

(only 22K watched MSUcks/ULaLa last Satdee......"SEC---SEC---SEC"!)
09-06-2019 10:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.