Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

When we win!
Bookmark and Share
Bcatbog Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of Cincy
When we win!
Damn life is good. Two days later the glow of a great night in Nippert continues. Is there a better venue for a big game?

So many years ago I made a great life decision.

Go Bearcats!

Was it Goin who changed everything?

09-01-2019 04:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
RE: When we win!
(09-01-2019 04:57 PM)Bcatbog Wrote:  Damn life is good. Two days later the glow of a great night in Nippert continues. Is there a better venue for a big game?

Go Bearcats!

The change in how UC viewed sports started with a Bob but it was Huggins who got UC fans and Cincy residents to believe. The transformation of the Campus was the brainchild of Joe Steger, one of the architects of the UC Master Plan. Bob Goin joined UC Athletics and had a vision of where UC Athletics could go and he had the past relationships to build on. The progress of the football program really starts with Rick Minter who brought the program back to respectability instead of a laughing stock.

09-01-2019 07:44 PM
iBinturong Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(09-01-2019 07:44 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(09-01-2019 04:57 PM)Bcatbog Wrote:  Damn life is good. Two days later the glow of a great night in Nippert continues. Is there a better venue for a big game?

Go Bearcats!

The change in how UC viewed sports started with a Bob but it was Huggins who got UC fans and Cincy residents to believe. The transformation of the Campus was the brainchild of Joe Steger, one of the architects of the UC Master Plan. Bob Goin joined UC Athletics and had a vision of where UC Athletics could go and he had the past relationships to build on. The progress of the football program really starts with Rick Minter who brought the program back to respectability instead of a laughing stock.

I agree. Minter might have been a little out there, but he brought toughness to the program and started us down the road toward respectability.

09-01-2019 08:21 PM
Bcatbog Offline
1st String

Interesting take on Minter. And his reward was getting dumped when we got into the BE.

09-02-2019 05:20 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

Go Bearcats!

Tim Murphy did that.

09-02-2019 06:48 AM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(09-02-2019 05:20 AM)Bcatbog Wrote:  Interesting take on Minter. And his reward was getting dumped when we got into the BE.

As much as I appreciate what he did, Minter got "dumped", because it was obvious that he wasn't able to progress the program any further than he did.

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019 07:19 AM by Ring of Black.)
09-02-2019 07:18 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(09-02-2019 07:18 AM)Ring of Black Wrote:  
(09-02-2019 05:20 AM)Bcatbog Wrote:  Interesting take on Minter. And his reward was getting dumped when we got into the BE.

As much as I appreciate what he did, Minter got "dumped", because it was obvious that he wasn't able to progress the program any further than he did.

This. He reached his ceiling. Coach Minter was not an easy guy for assistants to work for. He stymied offensive coordinators and coaches. He was a good motivator but was not a great “game day coach”. It was the right move to move on to MD to get to the next level.

As far as who got this started the answer is all of the above. Fans did not start getting in the bandwagon though until 2009. We even struggled to get 30k in the house in the first couple games of the perfect season.

09-02-2019 08:22 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
We owe it all to Goin. Getting into the BE was the key to our success.

Then he had the guts to recognize that Minter was a CUSA level coach. Good, not great.

Minter's teams were too undisciplined had games too often where they just didn't show up and got their a$$es handed to them.

If we're not in the BE, then we don't get top level coaches like Kelly and, I guess, old stone face Dantonio.

09-02-2019 08:23 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

Go Bearcats!

The UC Master Plan was truly visionary. It was 20 years ahead of every other commuter research campus in the country. It transformed UC from a commuter campus with a few dorms to a residential campus that also has commuters.

09-02-2019 08:45 AM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
I just want to make sure proper credit is given when due. Rick Minter did more for our program than any coach before him since Sid Gillman. Go look up the records for UC coaches before Minter. No contest. Minter brought consistency, toughness, and respectability. He also took UC to their first bowl appearance since the 1950 Sun Bowl - a win in the 1997 Humanitarian Bowl. Some of you may be too young to remember but that 1997 year was huge for UC football fans and alumni. Minter also coached for 10 seasons - the longest tenured coach I believe. In those 10 seasons Minter finished 6 of them above .500 with 4 bowl appearances total. It was because of this that we got a guy like Mark Dantonio and the others that followed. Minter blazed the trail for others if you will...

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019 09:12 AM by UCGrad1992.)
09-02-2019 08:50 AM
cpawfan Offline
1st String

(09-02-2019 08:50 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  I just want to make sure proper credit is given when due. Rick Minter did more for our program than any coach before him since Sid Gillman. Go look up the records for UC coaches before Minter. No contest. Minter brought consistency, toughness, and respectability. He also took UC to their first bowl appearance since the 1950 Sun Bowl - a win in the 1997 Humanitarian Bowl. Some of you may be too young to remember but that 1997 year was huge for UC football fans and alumni. Minter also coached for 10 seasons - the longest tenured coach I believe. In those 10 seasons Minter finished 6 of them above .500 with 4 bowl appearances total. It was because of this that we got a guy like Mark Dantonio and the others that followed. Minter blazed the trail for others if you will...

Minter was also told by Goin after the Humanitarian Bowl that he better not dare send his resume out

09-02-2019 10:38 AM
ucbandguy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati

Go Bearcats!

The answer is that a lot of different people came in at different times to "change everything." It did not happen all at once. So all the credits being given have some validity. It takes a village.

The amazing thing is that we survived Jones followed by TT. The whole thing could have gone really, really bad.

09-02-2019 04:07 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-02-2019 08:50 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  I just want to make sure proper credit is given when due. Rick Minter did more for our program than any coach before him since Sid Gillman. Go look up the records for UC coaches before Minter. No contest. Minter brought consistency, toughness, and respectability. He also took UC to their first bowl appearance since the 1950 Sun Bowl - a win in the 1997 Humanitarian Bowl. Some of you may be too young to remember but that 1997 year was huge for UC football fans and alumni. Minter also coached for 10 seasons - the longest tenured coach I believe. In those 10 seasons Minter finished 6 of them above .500 with 4 bowl appearances total. It was because of this that we got a guy like Mark Dantonio and the others that followed. Minter blazed the trail for others if you will...

I like Rick Minter and appreciate what he did at UC, but ironically Minter did NOT want to go to the Boise bowl game. It was well documented that the Goin forced him to accept the Bowl invite over Minter's protest.

Edit and correction: I went back and reread the chapter in "Bearcats Rising." MINTER was "ecstatic" at the invite... THE TEAM (i.e. the players) didn't want to go...

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019 05:53 PM by BearcatJerry.)
09-02-2019 05:47 PM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(09-02-2019 05:47 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

I like Rick Minter and appreciate what he did at UC, but ironically Minter did NOT want to go to the Boise bowl game. It was well documented that the Goin forced him to accept the Bowl invite over Minter's protest.

Edit and correction: I went back and reread the chapter in "Bearcats Rising." MINTER was "ecstatic" at the invite... THE TEAM (i.e. the players) didn't want to go...

Thanks for that tidbit Jerry. All I know is I'm glad the team went because it was huge for me at that time and the bonus is they won the game.

09-02-2019 06:11 PM
Bcatbog Offline
1st String

(09-02-2019 08:45 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

Go Bearcats!

The UC Master Plan was truly visionary. It was 20 years ahead of every other commuter research campus in the country. It transformed UC from a commuter campus with a few dorms to a residential campus that also has commuters.

(09-02-2019 05:47 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

I remember the Humanitarian bowl well. To watch it we had to go to a local sports bar and ask them to put it on. My wife and I watched it alone. I was thrilled to seeUC win a bowl game.

09-02-2019 07:30 PM
Bcatbog Offline
1st String

I also remember going to Detroit for the Motor City Bowl and we went to Toronto for the International Bowl. Detroit was a day trip from Cleveland.

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019 07:33 PM by Bcatbog.)
09-02-2019 07:32 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Speaking of Minter, he played Ohio State pretty tough the two times he faced them:

1999 34-20 OSU [Cooper/Minter]
2002 23-19 OSU [Tressel/Minter]
2004 27-6 OSU [Tressel/Dantonio]
2006 37-7 OSU [Tressel/Dantonio]
2014 50-28 OSU [Meyer/Tom T]

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019 08:49 PM by UCGrad1992.)
09-02-2019 08:06 PM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
Everyone remembers to 2002 game with good reason but UC was up 17-3 in 99 and missed a fg befor the half to go up 20-3. I remember the bleachers shaking as uc fans went bonkers.

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019 08:43 PM by bearcatmark.)
09-02-2019 08:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZCat Offline
Special Teams

Go Bearcats!

Dang, I thought this thread was about when we beat Ohio State LOL.
When we beat o$u, I will be smiling for at least a week!!

As far as football growth - Everybody already touched on everything. But I was going to mention Tim Murphy. Which I know other people did. They all definitely had a roll. Including Rick Minter , Huggs, Goin master plan etc.

09-02-2019 09:29 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
Goin built the Village, Huggins promoted the Village, and Steger financed the Village. And Steger forced the BOT to champion the project against the ire of the professors union.

That's when UC had real leaders who took chances and did WHATEVER it took to put UC in a position to win. And I mean WHATEVER - even things that skirted the ethics of public education.

Since then - nothing but clowns that continue to reap what those three men sowed.

Historic facts:

Tim Murphy worked true miracles and began the reclamation project.
Minter kept it alive as plans were being developed by Steger and Goin.

Rick Taylor hired Huggs into the new on-campus arena - Shoemaker Center.
Bob Goin hired Mark Dantonio into the new league affiliation - Big East.
Both were genious moves!

09-02-2019 09:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.