Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Prediction article in H/A
Bookmark and Share
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss
Prediction article in H/A
I know this article is a few days old, but I just read it and can't believe what I read. I always thought Hop talks like he's been smoking something, but damn... no way he really believes what he is quoted as saying. Did he really say this? I want some of what he's smokin'.

Quote:Southern Miss head coach Jay Hopson said this year's Golden Eagles are one of the most talented teams he's ever coached, but also that they also play one of the toughest schedules in school history.

The first part of that statement I can believe if he's talking about as a head coach. If he's including as an assistant, then he's full of ****. As for the second half of that quote, well, he's just full of ****.

HA article
09-01-2019 11:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Reggie Favre Offline
All American

RE: Prediction article in H/A
From what I saw yesterday (and last year), this guy needs to be fired. If he doesn't win 8 regular season games this year (and from what I saw yesterday, it will be IMPOSSIBLE for him to win 8 reg season games), then he has to be fired.

Six (6) yards rushing with 5 minutes left in the 3rd Quarter against an FCS/SWAC team is inexcusable. He says ASU ran a defense he didn't practice / plan for as an excuse. So with that logic, if we run an unconventional / different defense against Alabama, then we should hold them to 6 yards rushing that deep in the game. Four years and he can't find a QB that has a stronger arm than JA to put on the field?

This guy is toast. I have confidence that Jermey McClain will not tolerate Hopson's ineptness. Hell, no one was higher on this team than me before this game. I thought the OC change would do the trick and hoped JA improved somehow. JA is terrible when throwing beyond 15 yards and handcuffs the entire offense and is slow as ****. That all falls at the dumb feet of Hopson. I've lost what little faith I had in that idiot.
09-01-2019 12:34 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
the 1990 schedule is at the top among a long list of others...

that ol' boy is a connection shy of 120v upstairs...
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2019 12:39 PM by stinkfist.)
09-01-2019 12:37 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(09-01-2019 12:34 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  He says ASU ran a defense he didn't practice / plan for

I know he’s not paid as well as most FBS head coaches, but half a million a year should at least get us a Plan “B” as to how to run the ball vs. Alcorn.
09-01-2019 12:56 PM
Advertisement

Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-01-2019 12:56 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(09-01-2019 12:34 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  He says ASU ran a defense he didn't practice / plan for

I know he’s not paid as well as most FBS head coaches, but half a million a year should at least get us a Plan “B” as to how to run the ball vs. Alcorn.
Football is a fairly easy game. To run the ball you just have to run the ball to the weakest part of their defense and have more blockers than defenders. Problem is our guys missed blocks.When you have lineman looking back at the ball carrier getting tackled he missed his block.
09-01-2019 03:29 PM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

He thought he could take Anderson and run downhill, over the Alcorn D line. It took him 3 quarters to figure out that wasn't working. However, it probably did help tire the Alcorn D. Coaches can't play an entire half and then make adjustments at halftime. They need to be able to make the adjustments on-the-fly.

I think it was more a depth thing in second half than adjustments. Alcorn is just 1 deep and we are 2 deep.
09-01-2019 04:02 PM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

(09-01-2019 03:29 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  

Football is a fairly easy game. To run the ball you just have to run the ball to the weakest part of their defense and have more blockers than defenders. Problem is our guys missed blocks.When you have lineman looking back at the ball carrier getting tackled he missed his block.

That is true if your backs are hitting holes full speed. When they stutter around in the backfield and then hit holes half-speed, can't fault their blocker.
09-01-2019 04:04 PM
Advertisement

va-eagle Offline
1st String

Anderson isn't the type of back that should be lining up alongside the QB, he needs to be in the pistol so he can get that big body moving when he takes the ball. He can't accelerate like a 190 lb back.
09-01-2019 04:07 PM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
(09-01-2019 04:04 PM)va-eagle Wrote:  
(09-01-2019 03:29 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  

That is true if your backs are hitting holes full speed. When they stutter around in the backfield and then hit holes half-speed, can't fault their blocker.

Have to agree here. The running backs were a huge disappointment. Anderson especially. If it’s not pointed out to them the importance of hitting the line of scrimmage with some speed then I’ll be disappointed in Hopson. 240 lbs should be nearing full speed by the time the line is reached. You won’t have to many TFLs if that is the way it’s done.
09-01-2019 07:52 PM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(09-01-2019 12:37 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  the 1990 schedule is at the top among a long list of others...

that ol' boy is a connection shy of 120v upstairs...

Exactly Stink...

09-01-2019 08:11 PM
Advertisement

Reggie Favre Offline
All American

And just like last year....let me fill you guys in again. The problem isn't the Running Backs. Last year, people were crying about Tez! I said it wasn't Tez as much as the offensive line. That finally sunk in to peoples heads.

Now this year; its STILL not the RBs. Its the offensive line. Try to let that sink in. Additionally, as long as we have no threat of throwing the ball down the field, the running game will continue to be a problem. Just as i said last year. Hence, why the weak arm of JA effects the running game. The defense knows we are going to throw it short and can crowd the line.
09-02-2019 10:42 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(09-02-2019 10:42 AM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  And just like last year....let me fill you guys in again. The problem isn't the Running Backs. Last year, people were crying about Tez! I said it wasn't Tez as much as the offensive line. That finally sunk in to peoples heads.

Now this year; its STILL not the RBs. Its the offensive line. Try to let that sink in. Additionally, as long as we have no threat of throwing the ball down the field, the running game will continue to be a problem. Just as i said last year. Hence, why the weak arm of JA effects the running game. The defense knows we are going to throw it short and can crowd the line.

you're a hoot....I'll give ya that...

answer this....if the you dance behind ANY line, take a wild guess what the outcome is....

even Barry Sanders found that out too many times at Detroit...

nobody's arguing JA's the second coming of Jeff Kelly (and I had to sit behind his parents for 4 freakin' yrs...that was painful)...it's NOT ironic your moniker is a combination of the two hardest tossing QB's in southern miss' history...

I'm pretty certain today's 'Andrew Luck' doesn't give us consideration....but Deon's kid is....so, there's 'that'...

regardless, it's hard to argue JA's been serviceable when we establish any semblance of a running attack...if that problem isn't solved immediately, we don't win 7 games...I don't think you'll get an argument on that one...

again, it's going to be our D that wins the close ones' this year...toss in what our other JA showed in the ST game, and we may have an X factor that buys us an extra one...

disclaimer: I think we get torched going into the next few and emerge 1-3 going into conference play...
09-02-2019 03:45 PM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

(09-02-2019 10:42 AM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  And just like last year....let me fill you guys in again. The problem isn't the Running Backs. Last year, people were crying about Tez! I said it wasn't Tez as much as the offensive line. That finally sunk in to peoples heads.

Mullens didn’t have a strong arm; but he did have Ito and Jalen. The reason we can’t run has nothing to do with JA’s arm. If we could run the ball JA would be more effective. Thats just my opinion.
09-02-2019 07:35 PM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

Everyone needs to calm down... We're gonna be just fine. I just want to remind everyone of this quote from our head coach...

Quote:Southern Miss head coach Jay Hopson said this year's Golden Eagles are one of the most talented teams he's ever coached, but also that they also play one of the toughest schedules in school history.

So, no worries. We have a goal of being one play better than last year.

03-banghead03-banghead

04-cheers
09-09-2019 08:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.