Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Build that wall- AgriRobots to the rescue!
GoodOwl Online
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Build that wall- AgriRobots to the rescue!
Better than wasting time on self-driving trucks to kill people on streets and highways, technology is finally being applied to an area of great need: Agri-Robots are being developed and some deployed to pick the fruits and vegetables that farmers complain they need illegal criminals to pick for them.

Abundant's autonomous robotic apple harvester set for first commercial U.S. deployment

Now here's an area where applying technology to replace human workers would help npt only reduce costs and increase efficiency, but once you have robots in place the argument for temporary work visas as well as demand for illegal immigrant workers drops or is eventually eliminated--all very good things. Once illegals have no jobs to do here, less will stay and less will come.

Robot uses machine learning to harvest Lettuce
Summary: A vegetable-picking robot that uses machine learning to identify and harvest a commonplace, but challenging, agricultural crop has been developed by engineers.

Robot harvests lettuce, and that’s impressive

4 Ways Robotics Will Affect Agriculture in 2019

From addressing labor shortages to increasing crop yields, agribots are set to aid farmers.

Robots for Surgery and Tomato Harvesting

kids love it!

08-14-2019 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

king king Offline
Got Nothing on Me

I Root For: Your mom
RE: Build that wall- AgriRobots to the rescue!
In before the naysayers - it'll never work, too expensive, no one wants robotic farmers, how's it gonna work in the rain.......ever and anon.
08-15-2019 09:03 AM
GoodOwl Online
The 1 Hoo Knocks

Future of farming: AI-enabled harvest robot flexes new dexterity skills

Quote:Root AI's robot has mastered the art of picking oblong vegetables as well as oblate shaped berries...
also...picking ripe tomatoes off the vine...

This is about the only ai-tech I can get behind.
08-20-2020 12:54 AM
GoodOwl Online
The 1 Hoo Knocks

2nd half is robot picking the larger oblong veggies:

08-20-2020 12:59 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(08-15-2019 09:03 AM)king king Wrote:  In before the naysayers - it'll never work, too expensive, no one wants robotic farmers, how's it gonna work in the rain.......ever and anon.

Anyone who thinks its too expensive has never seen those auto-pilot combine harvesters rolling over the Paloose in Washington.
08-20-2020 02:41 AM
Advertisement

king king Offline
Got Nothing on Me

I Root For: Your mom
(08-20-2020 02:41 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(08-15-2019 09:03 AM)king king Wrote:  In before the naysayers - it'll never work, too expensive, no one wants robotic farmers, how's it gonna work in the rain.......ever and anon.

Anyone who thinks its too expensive has never seen those auto-pilot combine harvesters rolling over the Paloose in Washington.

My post was tongue in cheek.

Irony is that me and some partners are in the process of getting 24 million to develop this type of technology.
08-20-2020 07:54 AM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
I don't think prices will come down, once its up, it will be the norm. Maybe it fluctuates a little like oil. I see it being more or less like milk, the US dumps a lot of milk to keep prices high, even if produce is plentiful, a lot will get intentionally wasted to keep the prices where they want it.
08-20-2020 08:19 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(08-20-2020 07:54 AM)king king Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 02:41 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

My post was tongue in cheek.

Irony is that me and some partners are in the process of getting 24 million to develop this type of technology.

I understood your joke, but its funny because there will be people who will scoff at the expense and technical expertise needed. Much like Bloomberg and his belief that farming is much easier than coding.
08-20-2020 08:21 AM
GoodOwl Online
The 1 Hoo Knocks

(08-20-2020 08:19 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  I don't think prices will come down, once its up, it will be the norm. Maybe it fluctuates a little like oil. I see it being more or less like milk, the US dumps a lot of milk to keep prices high, even if produce is plentiful, a lot will get intentionally wasted to keep the prices where they want it.

It's not the prices as much as it is the illegal border-crossers who do some of the labor. One less reason to coddle folks that don't wait in line and apply to come here legally, and do it on merit, not politics or nepotism or slave labor. But, I do believe that the tech will get better, faster and thus help bring prices down somewhat, and that's a bonus. Plus less tax dollars to illegals and the cities and towns that are illegal sanctuaries.
08-20-2020 05:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.