I’m Surprised No One Has Posted This
08-12-2019 08:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Magic95Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Texas
RE: I’m Surprised No One Has Posted This
Very interesting. Most of the conference is within a few mil of revenue of each other.
08-12-2019 09:01 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Seems like revenue=budget for them.
08-13-2019 11:02 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(08-13-2019 11:02 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  Seems like revenue=budget for them.

What do you mean? The USA Today database gives revenues and expenses.
08-13-2019 11:12 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
All budgets are not the same and I dont mean total dollars budgeted. So it's basically useless as a tool to compare and a better source would be what each school actually spends on football

You will get that at the below link but again there are little differences that can add up to a million or two that one school might spend over another...some schools only count salaries while others also add in benefits to the total spent on salaries. That could add up to a third more.

In a budget that might be higher I really dont think it gives a school an advantage on the court or field if they are spending 3 or 4 million more on scholarship than most other schools. It just means their cost is higher. Little examples like that can add up to where one school needs a higher budget than some of the middle budget schools.

http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org...s/2476bdef
08-13-2019 12:41 PM
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(08-13-2019 12:41 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  All budgets are not the same and I dont mean total dollars budgeted. So it's basically useless as a tool to compare and a better source would be what each school actually spends on football

You will get that at the below link but again there are little differences that can add up to a million or two that one school might spend over another...some schools only count salaries while others also add in benefits to the total spent on salaries. That could add up to a third more.

In a budget that might be higher I really dont think it gives a school an advantage on the court or field if they are spending 3 or 4 million more on scholarship than most other schools. It just means their cost is higher. Little examples like that can add up to where one school needs a higher budget than some of the middle budget schools.

Well before you even get to where the money goes you have to look at how it's accounted for. What does and doesn't go on an athletic department budget varies pretty widely. But yeah I agree for the most part that you can look at some individual expenses and make comparisons the same as you can look at some individual revenue categories and make comparisons.
08-13-2019 12:52 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(08-13-2019 12:52 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 12:41 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  All budgets are not the same and I dont mean total dollars budgeted. So it's basically useless as a tool to compare and a better source would be what each school actually spends on football

Well before you even get to where the money goes you have to look at how it's accounted for. What does and doesn't go on an athletic department budget varies pretty widely. But yeah I agree for the most part that you can look at some individual expenses and make comparisons the same as you can look at some individual revenue categories and make comparisons.

If you look at what each school spends on football spending more does not mean more wins. Over a 3 year span of 2015, 2016 and 2017....

UNT was the top spending school on football
$13,077,540
$14,592,734
$14,650,237

UTEP
$9,932,288
$10,738,195
$10,825,557

CONFERENCE USA MEDIAN
$8,236,659
$8,739,522
$10,391,676

The 3 winning programs were below the median
Western
Tech
Marshal
08-13-2019 01:06 PM
BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

I Root For: MTSU
Didn't see Rice so if I did not overlook them; is their absence from this list because they are a private institution and don't have to publish these numbers?

Otherwise, you got to feel for La Tech and Southern Miss. How is it that Old Dominion generates 44 Million while poor Southern Miss and La Tech are hovering at about 24 Mil?
Regarding UNT, UNCC, FIU, MT, FAU, UAB, and UTEP, all are hitting between 38 and 32 Mil. I haven't analysed any of the underlying data (except for MT); but, I suspect that all get more than half of their revenue from student activity fees. Thoughts? All have pretty good sized student bodies to generate those funds.

And, Marshall, Western, and UTSA are not too far behind UTEP in Revenue. So, are they also getting the majority of their revenue from student activity fees?

So, the Big Question: How long can non-cartel schools compete with the Big Dogs with this level of revenue? 5 more years? 10 more? Longer?
08-13-2019 01:07 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(08-13-2019 01:07 PM)BlueRaiderBoy Wrote:  Didn't see Rice so if I did not overlook them; is their absence from this list because they are a private institution and don't have to publish these numbers?

Otherwise, you got to feel for La Tech and Southern Miss. How is it that Old Dominion generates 44 Million while poor Southern Miss and La Tech are hovering at about 24 Mil?
Regarding UNT, UNCC, FIU, MT, FAU, UAB, and UTEP, all are hitting between 38 and 32 Mil. I haven't analysed any of the underlying data (except for MT); but, I suspect that all get more than half of their revenue from student activity fees. Thoughts? All have pretty good sized student bodies to generate those funds.

And, Marshall, Western, and UTSA are not too far behind UTEP in Revenue. So, are they also getting the majority of their revenue from student activity fees?

So, the Big Question: How long can non-cartel schools compete with the Big Dogs with this level of revenue? 5 more years? 10 more? Longer?

Several reasons. VA law requires reporting of several categories that many other schools don't, so it's not that we have more expenses than those schools it's just that those expenses don't show up on their athletic department's budget. If they accounted the same way we do their budgets would go up but so would their subsidies. We also likely have a higher travel budget and sponsor 18 varsity sports as opposed to 15 & 16 for USM and LT respectively. Most of this goes through student fees as it's not revenue building and as WKUYG pointed out doesn't really help us on the field/court. And while we do produce through ticket sales, donations and licensing a fair amount more than either school it's not like we can just pour that money into coaching salaries because we've had a lot of catching up to do with building facilities for football and we'll be adding women's volleyball for Title 9 compliance rather than cutting a men's sport.
08-13-2019 01:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.