Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gerlach: Leaving AAC not an option (for ECU)
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
RE: Gerlach: Leaving AAC not an option (for ECU)
ECU is in a prettt good situation for them and most of their problems right now are related to their on field performance.
08-13-2019 08:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(08-13-2019 08:10 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 04:25 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  Texas is different from other states. It’s its own country.

Dallas and Houston want to be known as world-class cosmopolitan cities with big airport hubs that connects you to the rest of the world.

San Antonio is more Southwest with its Tex-Mex food and missions.

Fort Worth takes pride in its cowboy roots. Even though it’s only 30 miles from Dallas, its identity is totally different from its bigger neighbor to the east. Its motto is “where the West begins.”

Austin is a California town trapped in Central Texas. They’re proud of their “Keep Austin Weird” culture. Waco, Temple and San Marcos are not far away and are more conservative than the state capital.

El Paso is ironically what Texas looks like to people who have never been to the Lone Star State. Desert, mountains, cactuses, close to Mexico, cowboys and real Mexican food. It’s far from the big cities in the state and has more in common with Phoenix and even Denver than Dallas and Houston.

Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland, Odessa, Abilene, San Angelo and Wichita Falls. Mostly desert towns in the south plains dependent on oil and natural gas especially in Midland-Odessa.

Corpus Christi, South Padre Island, Laredo and the Rio Grande Valley. Texas farmland.

Beaumont, Texarkana, Tyler, Longview and Nacogdoches are the closest thing Texas has of the South.

Good summary. But I would say in contrast to the previous poster, Houston is Gulf Coast, not southeast. Dallas has a lot more in common with the South than Houston. It has traditionally gotten the Deep South people from East Texas as well as migrants from the Deep South moreso than Houston who gets people from everywhere.

Houston and Dallas (-Fort Worth) are twins with minor differences and like most other world class cities. There's plenty of Old South in both areas but also lots of suburban soccer moms and cosmopolitan business men. The metro areas are even nearly the same size and growing at the same rate.

Houston and Dallas (more than Fort Worth), are both cosmopolitan world class cities influenced slightly by the South internally and definitely on the fringes. Fort Worth may celebrate it's Western-like roots but it is still just an anchor to Dallas and somewhat cosmopolitan (I'd compare it to a cross between a Panhandle city and Oklahoma City).
08-13-2019 09:25 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(08-13-2019 07:09 PM)scoscox Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 04:55 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 04:29 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 02:38 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 01:03 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  But culturally, Houston is much more west than east. E.g., Houston is closer on the map to Memphis than it is to El Paso, but culturally, both are 10-gallon-hat, cattle, and oil wells "Texas". Memphis is culturally a thousand miles from that.

Houston, Tulsa, and SMU are culturally dissimilar by a large margin from the other AAC schools. They are all culturally Cowboy/Western schools. There is a Gulf Coast/Bayou affinity between Houston and New Orleans, but that's about it.

lol. Once you hit a certain size, cities start becoming pretty culturally similar. They may have different regional indentifiers, but Houston has more in common with cities like Chicago, Atlanta, Orlando, and LA than it does with Salt Lake City or Tulsa.

LOL ... that's nouveaux-riche Houston talking, the Houston of billionaire oil men whose grand pappies drove cattle on horseback up to Kansas City and crave the respect of coastal elites.

But make no mistake, I grew up in the northeast corridor, and nobody up in DC or Philly or NYC or Boston thinks of Houston as a cultural peer. From those vantage points, Houston and Dallas are cattle and oil, JR Ewing and Remember the Alamo (yes, we know that was in San Antonio, but it might as well have been Houston). And no, your 7 million strong metro area and GHW Bush Intercontinental Airport do not change that.

That's your cultural identity nationwide, and that's how other schools view you. Houston, Tulsa, and SMU have zero cultural fit with the rest of the AAC. None.

I love it when a guy who doesnt live here tries to tell a lifelong resident what our "culture" is. lol...Dont make me climb down off this horse and unholster my hog leg Pilgrim. Gimme a break. We drive air conditioned cars through the Taco Bell drive through lane just like everyone else. Good Lord. Apparently the Houston "culture" was just fine with eastern schools in 2011 when UH was invited to the Big East.

I mean all the eastern schools besides uconn said peace out were making our own league so maybe it wasn’t just fine with them

Houston, SMU and UCF were invited not because of the similarity in metropolitan areas to the (then) Big East membership, they (along with Memphis, Boise State, San Diego State, Temple, Tulane and ECU) were each invited out of necessity. Without them, Big East Football would have died (and the remaining members would have been forced to consider independence or MAC/C-USA membership). Even had the league maintained its membership (and not lost an exodus which included Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Rutgers and Louisville), it was clear that Houston (and others) were only extended offers out of need for survival rather than cultural fit.
08-13-2019 10:17 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-13-2019 08:12 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 01:03 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  But culturally, Houston is much more west than east. E.g., Houston is closer on the map to Memphis than it is to El Paso, but culturally, both are 10-gallon-hat, cattle, and oil wells "Texas". Memphis is culturally a thousand miles from that.

Houston, Tulsa, and SMU are culturally dissimilar by a large margin from the other AAC schools. They are all culturally Cowboy/Western schools. There is a Gulf Coast/Bayou affinity between Houston and New Orleans, but that's about it.

lol. Once you hit a certain size, cities start becoming pretty culturally similar. They may have different regional indentifiers, but Houston has more in common with cities like Chicago, Atlanta, Orlando, and LA than it does with Salt Lake City or Tulsa.

LOL ... that's nouveaux-riche Houston talking, the Houston of billionaire oil men whose grand pappies drove cattle on horseback up to Kansas City and crave the respect of coastal elites.

But make no mistake, I grew up in the northeast corridor, and nobody up in DC or Philly or NYC or Boston thinks of Houston as a cultural peer. From those vantage points, Houston and Dallas are cattle and oil, JR Ewing and Remember the Alamo (yes, we know that was in San Antonio, but it might as well have been Houston). And no, your 7 million strong metro area and GHW Bush Intercontinental Airport do not change that.

That's your cultural identity nationwide, and that's how other schools view you. Houston, Tulsa, and SMU have zero cultural fit with the rest of the AAC. None.

I love it when a guy who doesnt live here tries to tell a lifelong resident what our "culture" is. lol...Dont make me climb down off this horse and unholster my hog leg Pilgrim. Gimme a break. We drive air conditioned cars through the Taco Bell drive through lane just like everyone else. Good Lord. Apparently the Houston "culture" was just fine with eastern schools in 2011 when UH was invited to the Big East.

All he is really doing is telling what the NE culture is, not what Houston's is.

I guess you missed the very first sentence and his prior post #57.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2019 11:10 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-13-2019 11:06 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(08-13-2019 10:17 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 07:09 PM)scoscox Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 02:38 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  lol. Once you hit a certain size, cities start becoming pretty culturally similar. They may have different regional indentifiers, but Houston has more in common with cities like Chicago, Atlanta, Orlando, and LA than it does with Salt Lake City or Tulsa.

I mean all the eastern schools besides uconn said peace out were making our own league so maybe it wasn’t just fine with them

Houston, SMU and UCF were invited not because of the similarity in metropolitan areas to the (then) Big East membership, they (along with Memphis, Boise State, San Diego State, Temple, Tulane and ECU) were each invited out of necessity. Without them, Big East Football would have died (and the remaining members would have been forced to consider independence or MAC/C-USA membership). Even had the league maintained its membership (and not lost an exodus which included Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Rutgers and Louisville), it was clear that Houston (and others) were only extended offers out of need for survival rather than cultural fit.

Well I'd agree with that. The schools were invited. Not the cites. The city "cultural fits" were never even a factor beyond tv markets and ease of travel. Does anyone really think Crieghton was added because Omaha is just like Chicago or New York? So yes, they were added out of need---they were simply looking for schools that were ready to take the next step and could fit with the core athletically. Obviously, as the core shrunk and the list of new additions got longer---the C7 believed the conference was no longer what they had in mind (which was basically the C7+ND+Louisville, Rutgers, UConn, USF, Cinci, USF, Temple+a few new guys).
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2019 11:24 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-13-2019 11:12 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-13-2019 01:03 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 12:27 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Houston is more east than west. Houston is a little more than 800 miles from Jacksonville on the Atlantic Ocean, but 1300 miles from San Diego on the Pacific Ocean. Houston is closer to every AAC school, and closer to Montreal for that matter, than it is to Gonzaga.

But culturally, Houston is much more west than east. E.g., Houston is closer on the map to Memphis than it is to El Paso, but culturally, both are 10-gallon-hat, cattle, and oil wells "Texas". Memphis is culturally a thousand miles from that.

Using your Taco Bell standard, Chicago and Lafayette, Louisiana share the same culture.

Good Grief. I tried .... 07-coffee3
08-14-2019 07:09 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-13-2019 05:41 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 12:27 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Houston is more east than west. Houston is a little more than 800 miles from Jacksonville on the Atlantic Ocean, but 1300 miles from San Diego on the Pacific Ocean. Houston is closer to every AAC school, and closer to Montreal for that matter, than it is to Gonzaga.

But culturally, Houston is much more west than east. E.g., Houston is closer on the map to Memphis than it is to El Paso, but culturally, both are 10-gallon-hat, cattle, and oil wells "Texas". Memphis is culturally a thousand miles from that.

I lived in Texas for nearly 20 years. The vast majority of the state leans east . Only El Paso and Lubbock leans West.

San Antonio?
08-14-2019 07:10 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(08-14-2019 07:09 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Using your Taco Bell standard, Chicago and Lafayette, Louisiana share the same culture.

Yes, Lafayette has 6 million people in it. Such a good point. Again, as I said before, once cities get to a certain size, they tend to be more alike than different. Chicago, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston tend to have much more in common than they differ. It’s not a difficult or even controversial concept. I’m kinda shocked your having so much difficulty comprehending a pretty basic point. 07-coffee3
08-14-2019 07:19 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-14-2019 07:19 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 02:38 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  lol. Once you hit a certain size, cities start becoming pretty culturally similar. They may have different regional indentifiers, but Houston has more in common with cities like Chicago, Atlanta, Orlando, and LA than it does with Salt Lake City or Tulsa.

Yes, Lafayette has 6 million people in it. Such a good point. Again, as I said before, once cities get to a certain size, they tend to be more alike than different. Chicago, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston tend to have much more in common than they differ. It’s not a difficult or even controversial concept. I’m kinda shocked your having so much difficulty comprehending a pretty basic point. 07-coffee3

... and as I explained earlier, nobody in DC or Philly or NYC or Boston thinks of Houston or Dallas or San Antonio as being culturally similar or peers.

E.g., my wife's family has lived in the DC area for generations, and in 2012 when her nephew graduated from UVA and said he was taking a job in Dallas, they acted like he was moving to the moon, LOL. Some civic leader wannabes in Dallas or Houston might like to think of themselves as culturally more like Philly or Chicago than El Paso or Lubbock, but nobody else does.

So go get yer shine box, er, 10-gallon hat and go make the rounds of those oil wells, pardner.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2019 07:47 AM by quo vadis.)
08-14-2019 07:45 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
I have to concur with Quo on this one. East coasters do not think of anyone not on the east coast as a peer. Most probably think Texans drive cattle down the streets of Houston.
08-14-2019 08:36 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I went to see the alumni and enrollment stats from UH. For the Fall of 2018, Houston's undergraduate student body was comprised of 89.5% from Texas (41,449 students); there were exactly 1,200 out-of-state students (2.6% of student body). The top three states where Houston pulls undergraduate students from are California, Florida and Louisiana. Houston got 56 students from New York, 43 from Philadelphia and 40 from New Jersey. The University of Houston just does not pull students from the Northeastern section of the country, even when they joined a conference that had both UConn and Temple as part of it. Houston does have a NY-based alumni chapter, but it has a whopping 28 followers on social media.

Houston might have a lot in common as a major metropolitan city with New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. However, as far as student overlap, the University of Houston and the Northeast are pretty far apart.

Conferences maximize exposure when they have membership from areas where they all pool students and alumni from. It's why the B1G does so well in Chicago and New York City, the SEC does very well in the South. Even in the Big East, many students from the member cities have overlap with other members. When a conference spreads its footprint out of necessity, rather than growth potential, it ends up affecting the athletic interest of their student-body, as well as exposure and interaction capabilities for alumni. In this regard, this is why UConn was doomed to fail in the AAC; the vast differences between them and the rest of the conference (between geography, alumni, where students come from, etc.) made it impossible to have a connection with the league.
08-14-2019 09:31 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-14-2019 07:10 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 05:41 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

I lived in Texas for nearly 20 years. The vast majority of the state leans east . Only El Paso and Lubbock leans West.

San Antonio?

San Antonio is changing. They have some western, Tex-Mex, Southern, Gulf Coast and German Hill Country culture all mixed together but they still lean east. At least in the areas I lived.
08-14-2019 10:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(08-14-2019 07:19 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Yes, Lafayette has 6 million people in it. Such a good point. Again, as I said before, once cities get to a certain size, they tend to be more alike than different. Chicago, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston tend to have much more in common than they differ.

No one who spends a few days each in LA, Chicago, Houston, and NYC would think that they are interchangeable. Each is a very different place, except maybe to a business traveler who only visits airports and hotels.
08-14-2019 11:42 AM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(08-14-2019 07:45 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 04:29 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  LOL ... that's nouveaux-riche Houston talking, the Houston of billionaire oil men whose grand pappies drove cattle on horseback up to Kansas City and crave the respect of coastal elites.

... and as I explained earlier, nobody in DC or Philly or NYC or Boston thinks of Houston or Dallas or San Antonio as being culturally similar or peers.

E.g., my wife's family has lived in the DC area for generations, and in 2012 when her nephew graduated from UVA and said he was taking a job in Dallas, they acted like he was moving to the moon, LOL. Some civic leader wannabes in Dallas or Houston might like to think of themselves as culturally more like Philly or Chicago than El Paso or Lubbock, but nobody else does.

So go get yer shine box, er, 10-gallon hat and go make the rounds of those oil wells, pardner.

Im calling bs on your anecdote. Any rational person knows you go where the jobs are especially if you’re a recent college grad. Not just Dallas, Houston or Austin but to places like Phoenix, Denver, Atlanta, Nashville, etc.

I guess all those thousands Yankees and Californians (myself included) have been moving to the “moon” in the last 30 years.
08-14-2019 12:15 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(08-11-2019 08:56 PM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  http://www.reflector.com/ECU/2019/08/11/...ption.html

"In one response to the Cherry Bekaert assessment report on East Carolina University finances and athletics, ECU interim chancellor Dan Gerlach did not mince his words in guaranteeing that the Pirates leaving the American Athletic Conference is not an option."

[Image: giphy.gif]
08-14-2019 12:27 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(08-14-2019 11:42 AM)Wedge Wrote:  
(08-14-2019 07:19 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Yes, Lafayette has 6 million people in it. Such a good point. Again, as I said before, once cities get to a certain size, they tend to be more alike than different. Chicago, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston tend to have much more in common than they differ.

No one who spends a few days each in LA, Chicago, Houston, and NYC would think that they are interchangeable. Each is a very different place, except maybe to a business traveler who only visits airports and hotels.

Those large cities you mention are MUCH more similar to each other than they are to Layfayette. Thats the point. As cities reach a certain size they tend to become far more alike than dissimilar. Thats just a fact. Its not an opinion. I didnt say they are carbon copies---I said they are more similar---as in---they are comparable to one another. That doesnt mean there are not differences. Im not really sure why this is being viewed as some sort of questionable assertion.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2019 06:11 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-14-2019 03:08 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-14-2019 12:15 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  
(08-14-2019 07:45 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 04:55 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I love it when a guy who doesnt live here tries to tell a lifelong resident what our "culture" is. lol...Dont make me climb down off this horse and unholster my hog leg Pilgrim. Gimme a break. We drive air conditioned cars through the Taco Bell drive through lane just like everyone else. Good Lord. Apparently the Houston "culture" was just fine with eastern schools in 2011 when UH was invited to the Big East.

Im calling bs on your anecdote. Any rational person knows you go where the jobs are especially if you’re a recent college grad. Not just Dallas, Houston or Austin but to places like Phoenix, Denver, Atlanta, Nashville, etc.

I guess all those thousands Yankees and Californians (myself included) have been moving to the “moon” in the last 30 years.

My anecdote was 100% accurate, unless you think i was saying that the family literally thought he was moving to the moon, which is silly. Obviously they are aware of Dallas as a major, growing city. Heck, the Cowboys are the Redksin's big historic rival. But point was, they regarded it as culturally much farther away then just a 2 hour and 15 minute plane flight Dulles to DFW.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2019 05:42 PM by quo vadis.)
08-14-2019 05:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.