UALR’s Conque becomes new AD
Bookmark and Share
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
UALR’s Conque becomes new AD
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2019...0190803-1/

Why would an AD in the SunBelt move to a footballless WAC?

UALR had a study where they turned down fb.

But UTRGV has a study out for years that hasn’t had a conclusion yet.

Suspect Conque wants to be part of a new fb program as that’s a serious resume building experience.

The WAC will be short members shortly as Bakersfield and UMKC are leaving, Chicago St will be kicked out, and Cal zBaptist and Dixie St are still transitioning for several years. The WAC is dead without new fully DI members coming in.

Sam Houston St, Lamar, McNeese St, maybe UIW, UC Davis, Cal Poly, Sac St will join and transition to FBS. It’s coming.

Dixie St, Utah Valley and Seattle will leave for the Big Sky.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2019 10:59 PM by NoDak.)
08-03-2019 10:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
RE: UALR’s Conque becomes new AD
Completely off topic but unless the Big Sky changes their stance UVU and Seattle U won't make it into the Big Sky without having football.
08-03-2019 11:29 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(08-03-2019 11:29 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Completely off topic but unless the Big Sky changes their stance UVU and Seattle U won't make it into the Big Sky without having football.

When Montana, Mont St, Idaho, EWU, and Weber St also leave for the Summit, the Big Sky will be open to any new members geographically. Seattle will be travel friendly for Portland St and when CWU moves up.
UVU for Idaho St. Dixie St for SUU. NAU will have Northern Colorado as a travel partner, which is probably the worst pair. Too bad Metro State didn’t move up.
08-04-2019 12:08 AM
edinburger Online
1st String

I Root For: UTRGV
Con que? Con cerebro y suerte, let's hope.

"Suspect Conque wants to be part of a new fb program as that’s a serious resume building experience."

I suspect exactly the opposite. Football is not like the others, if we were going to start it Bailey would have hired someone with football experience. This hire is further confirmation that it ain't gonna happen.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2019 03:07 PM by edinburger.)
08-05-2019 03:06 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
(08-04-2019 12:08 AM)NoDak Wrote:  
(08-03-2019 11:29 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Completely off topic but unless the Big Sky changes their stance UVU and Seattle U won't make it into the Big Sky without having football.

When Montana, Mont St, Idaho, EWU, and Weber St also leave for the Summit, the Big Sky will be open to any new members geographically. Seattle will be travel friendly for Portland St and when CWU moves up.
UVU for Idaho St. Dixie St for SUU. NAU will have Northern Colorado as a travel partner, which is probably the worst pair. Too bad Metro State didn’t move up.

I hope you are being sarcastic... because why would Montana, Mont St, Idaho, EWU, and Weber St leave the Big Sky for a Summit Conference which has no FCS football conference and houses FIVE non-football playing schools? If anything, Dakota schools leaving the Summit for the Big Sky is more likely. Never-the-less, none of this applies to the WAC and UTRGV's new AD hire.
08-05-2019 04:31 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(08-05-2019 03:06 PM)edinburger Wrote:  Con que? Con cerebro y suerte, let's hope.

"Suspect Conque wants to be part of a new fb program as that’s a serious resume building experience."

I suspect exactly the opposite. Football is not like the others, if we were going to start it Bailey would have hired someone with football experience. This hire is further confirmation that it ain't gonna happen.

Conque is the son of a football coach at La Tech and Southland schools.

He likely wants to start a football program as UALR said no.
08-05-2019 07:51 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(08-05-2019 04:31 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(08-04-2019 12:08 AM)NoDak Wrote:  

I hope you are being sarcastic... because why would Montana, Mont St, Idaho, EWU, and Weber St leave the Big Sky for a Summit Conference which has no FCS football conference and houses FIVE non-football playing schools? If anything, Dakota schools leaving the Summit for the Big Sky is more likely. Never-the-less, none of this applies to the WAC and UTRGV's new AD hire.
Totally real here. Montana and North Dakota have historically close relationships and they have gotten closer because of the Bakken oil.
08-05-2019 07:53 PM
Hilldog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

The Big Sky has changed their stance a few times in the past. They never had football only members, but they added Davis and Cal Poly. Southern Utah tried to get into the Big Sky many times, but was always turned down. I think the Big Sky finally admitted Southern Utah when the Montana President retired.

So, the Big Sky has changed their stance before, so it could happen again.
08-10-2019 01:39 AM
Hilldog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
What's the relationship between UTRGV and the Southland? Is UTRGV relationship with the Southland like Bakersfield-who basically begged and pleaded to get into the Big West for years? Is lack of football a non starter for UTRGV to the Southland? But, Corpus Christi also doesn't have football and a member of the Southland.
08-10-2019 01:44 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(08-10-2019 01:39 AM)Hilldog Wrote:  

The Big Sky has changed their stance a few times in the past. They never had football only members, but they added Davis and Cal Poly. Southern Utah tried to get into the Big Sky many times, but was always turned down. I think the Big Sky finally admitted Southern Utah when the Montana President retired.

The Montana schools had internally threatened to leave to the old WAC if they didn’t get the U of Dakota schools invited. The other schools, which had blocked that move for years, relented if they got SUU invited too. When Idaho and Boise St left, the Montanas wanted UND and NDSU, but the other schools insisted on Portland St, Sac St and Cal St Northridge. The Summit desperately needed South Dakota so they got the MVFC to take them too, otherwise the Big Sky would have had them for USD to have a fb conference home.

The Montanas will be leaving for the Summit soon with their closest and richer friends, Idaho, EWU, and Weber St and then the Big Sky will be rubbish and accept Dixie St and CWU.

The Montanas effectively ran the much of the BSC and didn’t want the Cali schools to go to the WAC if they didn’t, so they were awarded associate membership in fb. 2012 was a bad year for Cali fiscally, so they accepted BSC affiliation. All of them still want FBS membership before 2025. UC Davis and Cal Poly have stadium expansion plans.
08-10-2019 07:51 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(08-10-2019 01:44 AM)Hilldog Wrote:  What's the relationship between UTRGV and the Southland? Is UTRGV relationship with the Southland like Bakersfield-who basically begged and pleaded to get into the Big West for years? Is lack of football a non starter for UTRGV to the Southland? But, Corpus Christi also doesn't have football and a member of the Southland.
The Southland needs to slim down a few schools and Sam Houston, McNeese St Lamar and maybe UIW have been wanting FBS for years. The Southland will get Tarleton St as a move up and call it good. Tarleton St wants the Southland not the WAC, as the Southland has a smaller geography now than the Lonestar but it DI.
08-10-2019 07:57 PM
Advertisement

Hilldog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(08-10-2019 07:51 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

The Montana schools had internally threatened to leave to the old WAC if they didn’t get the U of Dakota schools invited. The other schools, which had blocked that move for years, relented if they got SUU invited too. When Idaho and Boise St left, the Montanas wanted UND and NDSU, but the other schools insisted on Portland St, Sac St and Cal St Northridge. The Summit desperately needed South Dakota so they got the MVFC to take them too, otherwise the Big Sky would have had them for USD to have a fb conference home.

The Montanas will be leaving for the Summit soon with their closest and richer friends, Idaho, EWU, and Weber St and then the Big Sky will be rubbish and accept Dixie St and CWU.

The Montanas effectively ran the much of the BSC and didn’t want the Cali schools to go to the WAC if they didn’t, so they were awarded associate membership in fb. 2012 was a bad year for Cali fiscally, so they accepted BSC affiliation. All of them still want FBS membership before 2025. UC Davis and Cal Poly have stadium expansion plans.

Where do you get your info? Montana never wanted to move up. They are happy in the Big Sky!
08-10-2019 09:02 PM
Hilldog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(08-10-2019 07:57 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(08-10-2019 01:44 AM)Hilldog Wrote:  What's the relationship between UTRGV and the Southland? Is UTRGV relationship with the Southland like Bakersfield-who basically begged and pleaded to get into the Big West for years? Is lack of football a non starter for UTRGV to the Southland? But, Corpus Christi also doesn't have football and a member of the Southland.
The Southland needs to slim down a few schools and Sam Houston, McNeese St Lamar and maybe UIW have been wanting FBS for years. The Southland will get Tarleton St as a move up and call it good. Tarleton St wants the Southland not the WAC, as the Southland has a smaller geography now than the Lonestar but it DI.

I agree that the Southland needs to slim down! If you're a non P5 school, there is no reason to have that many schools in your conference.

But, I doubt any of those Southland schools you named will all move up!

The next round of conference realignment will force non P5 conferences to make geographic sense.

UTEP, which is a CSUA outliner, will go to the Mt. West.

Texas St. will go to CUSA. This creates four schools in eastern Texas, Rice, UTSA, North Texas, and CUSA, all within a 250 or so miles from each other. Rice to UTEP is about 700 miles.

The Sun Belt fills with one of those schools you named.

Then the Southland fills with UTRGV!!

I remember reading that UTRGV hired Oliver Luck to do a football study. I don't remember reading what were the conclusions from that study!
08-10-2019 09:13 PM
Hilldog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Maybe I should ask in other schools' forums, but how do schools in the WAC, get to UTRGV? Fly into San Antonio, then to Corpus Christi, then bus to Edinburg?

How does UTRGV get to other WAC schools?
08-10-2019 09:52 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(08-10-2019 09:02 PM)Hilldog Wrote:  
(08-10-2019 07:51 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

Where do you get your info? Montana never wanted to move up. They are happy in the Big Sky!
They are happy with Weber St, Idaho and a few others, but want more regional schools and research schools for them. Portland St, Sac St and Northridge St were all mistakes, effectively no fan bases and no promised TV contracts. Their desires for NDSU and UND have not been abated.

A Denver U blogger reported that the WAC was going to declare them members just weeks before UTSA, Tex St and UT Arlington got invites, but backed out just a few weeks before. That blog has since been deleted.

NDSU’s former President moved them to DI and because he was a provost at Montana St before, he knew how badly the Montanas wanted the Dakotas. So he was almost all in that the Montanas would get them in, but the opposition from other BSC schools stopped it. So with UND to get in, the Montanas threatened to leave, and the rest of the BSC relented.

UND has been in the BSC fb for three years because the schools that are leaving will have an automatic FB bid in the Summit with six previous schools together. That meets the requirements automatically for an FCS auto-bid.

In the mean time North Dakota has flourished more than any other state because of oil reserves and production so the schools are doing well in the past ten years.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2019 11:06 PM by NoDak.)
08-10-2019 10:13 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(08-10-2019 09:52 PM)Hilldog Wrote:  Maybe I should ask in other schools' forums, but how do schools in the WAC, get to UTRGV? Fly into San Antonio, then to Corpus Christi, then bus to Edinburg?

Harlingen has many airlines and flights to major cities like Houston, Dallas, Chicago and even Minneapolis. It’s easy to bus to Edinburgh. UND used to play them in the Great West.

McAllen also has an airport with connections to Houston and DFW and it is closer.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2019 11:04 PM by NoDak.)
08-10-2019 10:23 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(08-10-2019 09:13 PM)Hilldog Wrote:  

I agree that the Southland needs to slim down! If you're a non P5 school, there is no reason to have that many schools in your conference.

The next round of conference realignment will force non P5 conferences to make geographic sense.

Texas St. will go to CUSA. This creates four schools in eastern Texas, Rice, UTSA, North Texas, and CUSA, all within a 250 or so miles from each other. Rice to UTEP is about 700 miles.

I remember reading that UTRGV hired Oliver Luck to do a football study. I don't remember reading what were the conclusions from that study!

Mack Brown chaired the UTRGV fb feasibility campaign. He has said in print that FBS will happen at a nearby minor league soccer field but it hasn’t been officially announced yet.

https://www.utrgv.edu/en-us/about-utrgv/...committee/
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2019 11:05 PM by NoDak.)
08-10-2019 10:29 PM
Hilldog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(08-10-2019 10:23 PM)NoDirak Wrote:  
(08-10-2019 09:52 PM)Hilldog Wrote:  Maybe I should ask in other schools' forums, but how do schools in the WAC, get to UTRGV? Fly into San Antonio, then to Corpus Christi, then bus to Edinburg?

Harlingen has many airlines and flights to major cities like Houston, Dallas, Chicago and even Minneapolis. It’s easy to bus to Edinburgh. UND used to play them in the Great West.

McAllen also has an airport with connections to Houston and DFW and it is closer.

Thanks! I had no idea that an busy airport was so close to UTRGV.

So it's a fairly easy, but expensive, trip for all WAC teams to get to UTRGV. I'm sure NMSU can fly non stop from El Paso to Houston or Dallas and then to Harlingen, or maybe even non stop to Harlingen!
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2019 12:05 PM by Hilldog.)
08-11-2019 11:53 AM
edinburger Online
1st String

I Root For: UTRGV
(08-10-2019 10:29 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(08-10-2019 09:13 PM)Hilldog Wrote:  

Mack Brown chaired the UTRGV fb feasibility campaign. He has said in print that FBS will happen at a nearby minor league soccer field but it hasn’t been officially announced yet.

https://www.utrgv.edu/en-us/about-utrgv/...committee/

1. You're correct that HEB stadium, where the RGV FC Toros play, was supposedly designed so it could be restriped for football. It's big enough (9735 w/o endzones built out) and it's a nice looking modern facility. But.....

2. Two previous partnership deals have fallen apart: (a) UTRGV backed out of using the Bert Ogden Arena for basketball, and (b) the joint minor-league/UTRGV baseball stadium is now just used by UTRGV after our minor league team faded away. I don't know if the local community can be be persuaded to try again.

3. That football feasibility report was never officially released, it was extracted from our admin by the local paper filing information requests (state equivalent of FOIA). Officially there's not even a plan for football, there is only an unreleased study on whether to have a plan.

4. Your link is from 2016. Neither the prez, the AD, nor Mack Brown has said anything of substance in roughly two years. The study on whether to have a plan is on indefinite hold. Repeat: it's not the plan that's on hold. It's the study on whether to have a plan that's on hold.

5. There is no money. The new med school is a huge cash sink and our capital campaigns are organized around propping it up, not starting new teams. In the regular academic departments we're being asked to let go full time faculty and replace them with grad students and part timers.

6. Our dual EVPs are putting heavy pressure on faculty to change classes to online, and to focus on commuters and people not even in the valley looking for cheap, low-commitment MS/MA/MBA degrees. That's the opposite of resident, committed undergrad students who'd go to football games.

7. Again, my read on the Conque hire is the opposite of yours. If there was any glimmer of an idea of starting something in the next 5-10 years, our prez would have hired an AD with experience overseeing football.

8. And finally, football would need approval from the UT system office in Austin. Here's the unpleasant truth: the merger with Brownsville has not gone all that well, we just recently got off SACS probation (which was a full-up national academic walk of shame), our prez is an absentee landlord who's rarely seen except at graduation (and he missed some of those too). It could be that as far as Austin is concerned we don't have our act together and need to focus on fixing what we already have. Of course we think that's too harsh but I could see it from their point of view. I strongly suspect that items (3) and (4) above are the result of an order from Austin to file the football study, stop talking about it, and focus on basics.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2019 12:03 PM by edinburger.)
08-11-2019 11:54 AM
Vaqueronation Offline
2nd String

I Root For: utrgv
(08-11-2019 11:53 AM)Hilldog Wrote:  
(08-10-2019 10:23 PM)NoDirak Wrote:  

Thanks! I had no idea that an busy airport was so close to UTRGV.

So it's a fairly easy, but expensive, trip for all WAC teams to get to UTRGV. I'm sure NMSU can fly non stop from El Paso to Houston or Dallas and then to Harlingen, or maybe even non stop to Harlingen!

From what I've seen most of the schools come thru the Mcallen airport. It's the bigger airport. The only reason us Hidalgo county people use the Harlingen airport is for southwest and some economy airlines.
08-11-2019 09:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.