Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hawks go to Italy
Bookmark and Share
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks
RE: Hawks go to Italy
(08-13-2019 10:59 AM)HAWKING Wrote:  
(08-13-2019 10:52 AM)Gary Miller Wrote:  Let's look at some positives. Obviously it's hard to have any real takeaways without seeing it live, but Boggs averaging 8 ppg with 2 solid performances, especially 10 versus a pro team should indicate he's ready for rotation minutes as a freshman. Linssen looks to be winning the battle for 5, Dodd might take some time to transition offensively, but his ability to grab rebounds and block shots will see him get plenty of playing time. Sims should be back by the time practice starts. Gadsden is the biggest question mark as of now, but we're lucky to have a guy like Tolefree who can replace him offensively, we'll see about his defense.
Huge fan of Boggs. He'll be the surprise of the team this season. Live, big body with shooting touch. It's just a matter of time before he gains strength if he can stay healthy. I see him taking some of Skaggs minutes as the season continues.

Yeah my thinking is Sims coming back will take minutes away from Boggs or Skaggs. I agree that by conference play we will be seeing more Boggs than Skaggs. I saw Kai threw Boggs a real nice alley on a fast break, need to see more of that come regular season.
08-13-2019 11:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Hawks go to Italy
Just saw the UNCW Alumni Association posted a video on Facebook an hour ago in which Coach McGrath surprised sophomore walk-on Brent Jenkins with a scholarship.

Anyone with more info on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
08-14-2019 06:57 PM
Seahawk2010 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNCW
(08-14-2019 06:57 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  Just saw the UNCW Alumni Association posted a video on Facebook an hour ago in which Coach McGrath surprised sophomore walk-on Brent Jenkins with a scholarship.

Scott Van Pelt of ESPN commented about the video on Twitter.
08-14-2019 08:20 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-14-2019 06:57 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  Just saw the UNCW Alumni Association posted a video on Facebook an hour ago in which Coach McGrath surprised sophomore walk-on Brent Jenkins with a scholarship.

There goes the open scolly we were hoping would go to a big.04-jawdrop

But, i do love to see stories like this regardless of the team. Good to see his hard work pay off for him.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2019 08:35 PM by Seahawkhoops.)
08-14-2019 08:35 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Skaggs can shoot and will get minutes.
08-14-2019 09:42 PM
HAWKING Offline
2nd String

(08-14-2019 09:42 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Skaggs can shoot and will get minutes.
Yes. Skaggs and Toews have great chemistry. A union made in heaven for sure. However, Skaggs is a '1 trick pony', and if he slumps like he did vs the Serbian team then there is not much reason to have him on the floor. He will win at 2 games for us this year by spacing the floor.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2019 01:44 AM by HAWKING.)
08-15-2019 01:43 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(08-14-2019 08:35 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

There goes the open scolly we were hoping would go to a big.04-jawdrop

But, i do love to see stories like this regardless of the team. Good to see his hard work pay off for him.

It is, indeed, a cool story. But several questions come to mind .

Since Jenkins is a sophomore, did Coach just effectively tie that scholarship up for 3 years? Or will Jenkins be a scholarship player for this year only?

If if is understood to be a one-year scholarship, was the highest and best use of the last scholarship to reward a hard-working walk on vs. bringing on board the best-available grad transfer big? There are still grad transfer bigs in the transfer portal that are at least walk-on quality in there abilities, and they are - well -big.)

I like the walk-on-makes-good story, but if I couldn't find a big that I wanted to tie a scholarship up with for multiple years I would have gotten the best grad transfer big body available for this year.

I will bet a dollar that before this season is over there will be an "in case of emergency, break glass situation" - due to injury or fouls - where we would have said 'thank goodness we have random best available big body to some off the bench to give us the size we need to try to fill the hole'. I will further bet a dollar that when that situation arises this season no one will be saying , "thank goodness Brent Jenkins is on scholarship".
08-15-2019 05:12 AM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

McGrath and the Jenkins family have UNC ties. Brent's father played(walk-on) for Dean Smith in the 80's. I imagine this is a year to year kind of thing.
08-15-2019 08:57 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(08-15-2019 08:57 AM)Gary Miller Wrote:  McGrath and the Jenkins family have UNC ties. Brent's father played(walk-on) for Dean Smith in the 80's. I imagine this is a year to year kind of thing.

I dislike these kinds of things.

I really hop that's not a major factor here.
08-15-2019 09:12 AM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

Actually all scholarships are year to year.
08-15-2019 09:12 AM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

(08-15-2019 09:12 AM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Actually all scholarships are year to year.

Correct, but if Jenkins doesn't have a scholarship next year he'll remain on the team as a walk-on. The "scholarship players" would transfer if they didn't have a scholarship next year. Luke Hager had his scholarship taken away when Keatts took over for no reason other than to open up a spot and he transferred... an example that comes to mind.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2019 09:33 AM by Gary Miller.)
08-15-2019 09:32 AM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

(08-15-2019 09:12 AM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(08-15-2019 08:57 AM)Gary Miller Wrote:  McGrath and the Jenkins family have UNC ties. Brent's father played(walk-on) for Dean Smith in the 80's. I imagine this is a year to year kind of thing.

I dislike these kinds of things.

I really hop that's not a major factor here.

I don't believe it is, just think it's a case of them having an open scholarship and rewarding it to Brent for his hard work. CB had a similar story at Kansas, I'm sure he has a soft spot for guys paying their own way. Powell and Etoroma were rewarded scholarships the last two seasons after midseason transfers, it just wasn't publicized like this one.
08-15-2019 09:37 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(08-15-2019 09:37 AM)Gary Miller Wrote:  CB had a similar story at Kansas, I'm sure he has a soft spot for guys paying their own way.

I have a soft spot for big men on a team that has too few of them. I bet CB will get one, too, before this season is over.
08-15-2019 09:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.