Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Cincinnati visit
Bookmark and Share
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
RE: OT: Cincinnati visit
(07-28-2019 05:18 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  There is pretty much nothing historical in Cincinnati, because very little history of any importance happened there.

Now, there is some old stuff.

One could visit the place President Lincoln, General Grant, and General Sherman planned the siege of Atlanta and the famous March to the Sea.

07-28-2019 06:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(07-28-2019 06:50 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  
(07-28-2019 05:18 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  There is pretty much nothing historical in Cincinnati, because very little history of any importance happened there.

One could visit the place President Lincoln, General Grant, and General Sherman planned the siege of Atlanta and the famous March to the Sea.

do tell

also harriet beecher stowe, the little lady who started that war

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2019 07:47 PM by Lush.)
07-28-2019 07:46 PM
gerhard911 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats!

Hoping this is sarcasm or you really need to edumacate yoself. Now cowtown, they got's a real deficit of meaningful history.

07-28-2019 10:10 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

it was the first city in the west. the roebling was the precursor to the brooklyn bridge. first professional baseball team. second largest oktoberfest. otr. the river jordan. james f*ckin brown

small potatoes stuff i get it, but interesting enough. just like pretty much any other city with a history

edit;

i forget who said it, probably mark twain, that had the roebling been given wide berth continuing on into downtown (and i'm assuming covington??), it would have been one of the loveliest avenues.... in all the world. i slightly jest but i don't remember the whole quote

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2019 10:43 PM by Lush.)
07-28-2019 10:39 PM
MPez Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Bearcats
USAF museum in Dayton is good for history. You can see the other state that claims to be first in aviation. Nagasaki bomber Bockscar and old Air Force one planes are a couple of the highlights, but there is a ton there. It's free too. The Voice of America museum is close to the tennis center, but hours are limited to 1-4 pm sat & sun. Cold War and WWII history there. Mason also has three breweries; 16 lots, Sonder, and the Common Beer Co. Twin Cities pizza is popular and with the tennis in town, make a reservarion. Golden Lamb is a nicer dining experience and the oldest inn in Ohio, est. 1803. Presidents and Dickens stayed there. Liberty Center isn't too far for shopping, dining or movies. Kings Island is across the freeway from the tennis center. It's run by the same group as Carrowinds. Nothing as good as Fury 325 there, but some really good coasters. Over the Rhine is a unique experience. Main and 12th is a good place to start. We have a good zoo. 2nd zoo in the country so there is some history there too. My favorite watering hole is the Monkey Bar, which is a few miles from the tennis center. Live music almost every night, so it would be a low effort spot after the matches.

07-29-2019 12:05 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Just an FYI, if you're just *thinking* about going to the tennis tournament, I highly recommend it. The whole thing is done right. Even better if you get to sit in seats attached to a private suite. Good times.

07-29-2019 01:22 PM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
And don't forget to go to Gold Star Chili. Pretty broad consensus on this board that it's the best chili around.

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 02:08 PM by geef.)
07-29-2019 01:50 PM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
(07-29-2019 01:50 PM)geef Wrote:  And don't forget to go to Gold Star Chili. Pretty broad consensus on this board that it's the best chili around.

Says who? Gold Star is mass produced factory stuff, cranked out in large quantities to meet the needs of a chain enterprise. If you're going to eat Cincinnati chili, you want the hand-crafted variety made at Camp Washington and other one-off outlets around town. Gold Star...yeah, right.

07-29-2019 04:13 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

i usually like to make a hole in the middle of my sarcasm and fill it with hot sauce

07-29-2019 08:50 PM
dubcat14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(07-29-2019 08:50 PM)Lush Wrote:  i usually like to make a hole in the middle of my sarcasm and fill it with hot sauce

well played ha 03-lmfao04-cheers

(This post was last modified: 07-30-2019 07:55 AM by dubcat14.)
07-30-2019 07:55 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

(07-29-2019 04:13 PM)colohank Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 01:50 PM)geef Wrote:  And don't forget to go to Gold Star Chili. Pretty broad consensus on this board that it's the best chili around.

Says who? Gold Star is mass produced factory stuff, cranked out in large quantities to meet the needs of a chain enterprise. If you're going to eat Cincinnati chili, you want the hand-crafted variety made at Camp Washington and other one-off outlets around town. Gold Star...yeah, right.

You mean the small batch commercials are wrong?

07-30-2019 08:14 AM
GoCats1994 Offline
Bench Warmer

I don't claim to have tried them all...but of my visits to Camp Washington, Ft Wright, Price Hill & Blue Ash... I prefer Blue Ash Chili.

Just one person's opinion

07-30-2019 10:50 AM
Helicopter Offline
2nd String

(07-27-2019 12:30 PM)bearcat29 Wrote:  Northern Ky
mainstrasse is good
Braxton Brewery
New Rift distillery

Skip Newport on the Levee
Google, because there is usually some good festivals during the weekends.

Cincinnati
Highly recommend Rhinegeist Brewery
I also like northside distillery
The OTR bars and restaurants

A bit up the road but WELL worth it is the Wright Patt Air Force museum. Amazing
and free museum if you like military or aviation history.

Follow every recommendation in this list. OTR, Mainstrasse, Wright Pat.

07-30-2019 11:41 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

(07-30-2019 10:50 AM)GoCats1994 Wrote:  

I don't claim to have tried them all...but of my visits to Camp Washington, Ft Wright, Price Hill & Blue Ash... I prefer Blue Ash Chili.

Sorry. Skyline can't be touched in the chili wars.

Now, Empress used to be pretty good. Is Empress still around?

07-30-2019 11:46 AM
dubcat14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Hey StillJonesing.. did you make it to the Western and Southern? Care to give your 2 cents on the city and your time here?

08-19-2019 08:02 AM
Jchuges7 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, Reds, FCC
(07-30-2019 11:46 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  
(07-30-2019 10:50 AM)GoCats1994 Wrote:  

Sorry. Skyline can't be touched in the chili wars.

Now, Empress used to be pretty good. Is Empress still around?

There's one in Western Hills near the Pirate's Den and Champion's.

Price Hill Chili is still the best IMO.

08-19-2019 08:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
(07-28-2019 10:39 PM)Lush Wrote:  it was the first city in the west. the roebling was the precursor to the brooklyn bridge. first professional baseball team. second largest oktoberfest. otr. the river jordan. james f*ckin brown

small potatoes stuff i get it, but interesting enough. just like pretty much any other city with a history

edit;

i forget who said it, probably mark twain, that had the roebling been given wide berth continuing on into downtown (and i'm assuming covington??), it would have been one of the loveliest avenues.... in all the world. i slightly jest but i don't remember the whole quote

It was also Mark Twain who said, "If the world ends, I want to be in Cincinnati because everything happens there five years later".

08-19-2019 08:54 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(08-19-2019 08:54 AM)chatcat Wrote:  
(07-28-2019 10:39 PM)Lush Wrote:  it was the first city in the west. the roebling was the precursor to the brooklyn bridge. first professional baseball team. second largest oktoberfest. otr. the river jordan. james f*ckin brown

edit;

It was also Mark Twain who said, "If the world ends, I want to be in Cincinnati because everything happens there five years later".

Quoteinvestigator.com looked into that quote, and concluded that Twain never said that. The quote originates from an Atlantic Monthly article and it originally referred to Bavaria, not Cincinnati.

Mark Twain did have some other interesting things to say about Cincinnati: "The Cincinnati Enquirer must be edited by children."

08-19-2019 09:49 AM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
(08-19-2019 09:49 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(08-19-2019 08:54 AM)chatcat Wrote:  

edit;

Quoteinvestigator.com looked into that quote, and concluded that Twain never said that. The quote originates from an Atlantic Monthly article and it originally referred to Bavaria, not Cincinnati.

Mark Twain did have some other interesting things to say about Cincinnati: "The Cincinnati Enquirer must be edited by children."

He was spot on about that.

08-19-2019 11:44 AM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

Coming in from New Jersey for the UCLA game. Does anyone know anything about hotel Millennium? Good location?

08-19-2019 09:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.