Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bearcats Football Program Top 20 Winning Percentage
Bookmark and Share
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Bearcats Football Program Top 20 Winning Percentage
...over the past 12 seasons. Not bad considering Boyzee is the only other non-P5 on the list. This is good for recruiting/tooting our own horn. If the Cats have another strong season it is likely we can move up a notch or two on the list. Interesting to note who is not on the list. For one, no Notre Dame. Where's DaVille, Pitt, Syracuse, West Virginia, Rutgers?

07-24-2019 07:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dannyboy Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
RE: Bearcats Football Program Top 20 Winning Percentage
And yet we’ve never started a season ranked.

07-25-2019 04:24 AM
doss2 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
We would have been even better without 4 years of Gramps.

07-25-2019 06:08 AM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
What? No Looseville?

07-25-2019 07:08 AM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Boise State basically built this record in the a pretty bad WAC. The top usually had one or two good teams but the rest was junk. UC built their record in a very competitive Big East and American.

I still would like to see Boise State, SDSU, BYU and Gonzaga in a coast to coast conference if the college football playoff gives the G5's top champion a spot. Basically create a power conference with the top western brands and dominate the post season bid.

07-25-2019 07:10 AM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(07-25-2019 07:10 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Boise State basically built this record in the a pretty bad WAC. The top usually had one or two good teams but the rest was junk. UC built their record in a very competitive Big East and American.

I still would like to see Boise State, SDSU, BYU and Gonzaga in a coast to coast conference if the college football playoff gives the G5's top champion a spot. Basically create a power conference with the top western brands and dominate the post season bid.

The difference between us and Boise St is that Boise has won on the big stage, many times. UC simply has not. So the narrative for UC is that their record is inflated due to a poor conference.

Question: What are UC's 3 biggest wins out-of-conference in the last 15 years?

I can't think of any that really jump out as big-time wins. Where-as Boise has won BCS Bowls and beaten teams like Oregon and Georgia.

07-25-2019 07:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(07-25-2019 07:19 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  
(07-25-2019 07:10 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Boise State basically built this record in the a pretty bad WAC. The top usually had one or two good teams but the rest was junk. UC built their record in a very competitive Big East and American.

The difference between us and Boise St is that Boise has won on the big stage, many times. UC simply has not. So the narrative for UC is that their record is inflated due to a poor conference.

I can't think of any that really jump out as big-time wins. Where-as Boise has won BCS Bowls and beaten teams like Oregon and Georgia.

I'm fairly certain that VT and Miami were both ranked when we beat them on national TV, but yes, they dont match up to some of Boise's more high profile wins.

07-25-2019 07:24 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

(07-25-2019 07:24 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

I'm fairly certain that VT and Miami were both ranked when we beat them on national TV, but yes, they dont match up to some of Boise's more high profile wins.

Agree with this although I'd also add that we've largely played in tougher conferences than Boise has. Some of the wins we've had over WVU, Pitt, Rutgers, etc were very good wins plus the week to week competition was at a higher level. But no doubt Boise has earned its respect with high profile wins on the national stage.

07-25-2019 07:32 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(07-25-2019 07:32 AM)Racinejake Wrote:  

Agree with this although I'd also add that we've largely played in tougher conferences than Boise has. Some of the wins we've had over WVU, Pitt, Rutgers, etc were very good wins plus the week to week competition was at a higher level. But no doubt Boise has earned its respect with high profile wins on the national stage.

We haven't had as many high profile OOC opportunities as Boise: tOSU, Michigan, Florida and Oklahoma.... that's it.. (I don't count North Carolina).

There's no shame in losing to those schools. I still say that Sugar Bowl Florida team is one of if not the the best teams of the 2000s... they had all the talent from the previous NC team and blew out the competition all season prior to losing to Bama in the SEC CCG.

Also agree with who said that we get no credit for beating those WVU, Pitt and Rutgers team. Some of those teams we beat were 10-game winners (in the case of Rutgers 2006 they finished 12-1).

07-25-2019 08:05 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

(07-25-2019 07:08 AM)chatcat Wrote:  What? No Looseville?

But... But... it was their football prowess that was SO attractive to the ACC.

07-25-2019 08:18 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(07-25-2019 08:05 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

We haven't had as many high profile OOC opportunities as Boise: tOSU, Michigan, Florida and Oklahoma.... that's it.. (I don't count North Carolina).

There's no shame in losing to those schools. I still say that Sugar Bowl Florida team is one of if not the the best teams of the 2000s... they had all the talent from the previous NC team and blew out the competition all season prior to losing to Bama in the SEC CCG.

Also agree with who said that we get no credit for beating those WVU, Pitt and Rutgers team. Some of those teams we beat were 10-game winners (in the case of Rutgers 2006 they finished 12-1).

It really is quite funny how much people forget how good the Big East was in a few of those years. Hell, in 2008-09, 6/8 teams were ranked in the Top 25 at some point during the season (Cincinnati, Connecticut, Pitt, Rutgers, USF, and West Virginia).

07-25-2019 08:25 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(07-25-2019 08:18 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  

The little run they had with Bridgewater and company helped, but the real reason they got the ACC invite was all the revenue the AD generates. We had bad years in 2010, 2016 and 2017 but overall we had more wins the rest of the years. Bottom line as I've said before the reason we aren't in a power conference is because we do not have enough fans and corporate donors who give a lot of money.

The past 12 years of UofL football:

2018- 2-10
2017- 8-5
2016- 9-4
2015- 8-5
2014-9-4
2013- 12-1
2012- 11-2
2011- 7-6
2010- 7-6
2009- 4-8
2008: 5-7
2007: 6-6

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2019 08:27 AM by CliftonAve.)
07-25-2019 08:25 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(07-25-2019 08:25 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(07-25-2019 08:05 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(07-25-2019 07:19 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  The difference between us and Boise St is that Boise has won on the big stage, many times. UC simply has not. So the narrative for UC is that their record is inflated due to a poor conference.

It really is quite funny how much people forget how good the Big East was in a few of those years. Hell, in 2008-09, 6/8 teams were ranked in the Top 25 at some point during the season (Cincinnati, Connecticut, Pitt, Rutgers, USF, and West Virginia).

That's because the narrative that was (and still is) promulgated is the Big East was bad, when in fact it was pretty good. Big East actually had a winning record vs. SEC from 2005-2012 not to mention a much better bowl record than so-called better conferences.

07-25-2019 08:29 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(07-25-2019 08:25 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(07-25-2019 08:18 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  

The little run they had with Bridgewater and company helped, but the real reason they got the ACC invite was all the revenue the AD generates. We had bad years in 2010, 2016 and 2017 but overall we had more wins the rest of the years. Bottom line as I've said before the reason we aren't in a power conference is because we do not have enough fans and corporate donors who give a lot of money.

The past 12 years of UofL football:

2018- 2-10
2017- 8-5
2016- 9-4
2015- 8-5
2014-9-4
2013- 12-1
2012- 11-2
2011- 7-6
2010- 7-6
2009- 4-8
2008: 5-7
2007: 6-6

Yep...we just didn't focus on development early enough and it's a damn shame.

I still think two of the biggest sliding door moments in our recent past are Collaros breaking his ankle against WVU and Jones not starting Kay from day one the next year. If we beat WVU and don't lost to Toledo and Louisville the next year, we would've been in the BCS 4/5 years and I just don't know how teams in the ACC would pick Louisville over us at that point even WITH the donor discrepancy.

07-25-2019 08:34 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

^^ Right there with you. The 2011 team was pretty damn good. If Zach doesn't go down we win at least 1 of 2 against WVU and Rutgers and win the Big East outright (matching us up against Clemson who got blown out 70-33 by West Virginia). Kay in 2012 we beat Louisville and win conference outright, matching us up against Florida again (who was a nowhere near as good as the 2009 Florida squad).

It was funny because the national narrative by late 2011 and in to 2012 was that UC was sort of "meh" while Louisville and WVU carried the Big East. The data just not reflect that and as you said, a break here or there and the evidence would have been undisputable.

07-25-2019 08:49 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

Revisiting the ACC decision and Louisville. UC was so far behind in the major facilities arms race at that time, it proved insurmountable. Varsity Village helped UC enter the Big East. But when realignment began again we still had a small football stadium with little to no luxury box revenue and a rather non-descript mult-purpose center for basketball. This while Louisville had a shiny new football stadium and plans for a palatial basketball arena (built with Jefferson County taxpayers' hard earned dollars).

It's easy to blame UC leadership at that time for the facilities issues, but the problem was much more long term. Athletic facilities had been ignored for many years and there is only so much that can be built in the short run, especially in the midst of a total rebuild of classroom buildings, dorms and student recreation facilities.

Where do I find fault? Perhaps a belief that landing in the old Big East signaled arrival in the promised land and a lack of vision at that time to commit to continuous improvement knowing (in hindsight) that it could all unravel as quickly as it did. What can we learn from this? Probably that we need a plan for renovation or replacement of the Armory and a permanent indoor football practice facility now.

We better be ready when the door swings open again for realignment. It appears Houston, UCF, USF and others plan to be.

07-25-2019 09:01 AM
Advertisement

Cal1362 Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
Nice thoughtful reply. This wasn't a conspiracy against UC. We just need to be ready -- and that includes having big $$, big name donors lined up -- for the next opportunity.

07-25-2019 02:53 PM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

(07-25-2019 09:01 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Revisiting the ACC decision and Louisville. UC was so far behind in the major facilities arms race at that time, it proved insurmountable. Varsity Village helped UC enter the Big East. But when realignment began again we still had a small football stadium with little to no luxury box revenue and a rather non-descript mult-purpose center for basketball. This while Louisville had a shiny new football stadium and plans for a palatial basketball arena (built with Jefferson County taxpayers' hard earned dollars).

It's easy to blame UC leadership at that time for the facilities issues, but the problem was much more long term. Athletic facilities had been ignored for many years and there is only so much that can be built in the short run, especially in the midst of a total rebuild of classroom buildings, dorms and student recreation facilities.

Where do I find fault? Perhaps a belief that landing in the old Big East signaled arrival in the promised land and a lack of vision at that time to commit to continuous improvement knowing (in hindsight) that it could all unravel as quickly as it did. What can we learn from this? Probably that we need a plan for renovation or replacement of the Armory and a permanent indoor football practice facility now.

We better be ready when the door swings open again for realignment. It appears Houston, UCF, USF and others plan to be.

You are correct and your response is pretty much on target.

But... I think there's more to it than it all being on us.

I think what we all know that the ACC kind've panicked and pulled the trigger when Maryland bolted. I remember fishmouth Krizooski getting on ESPN expressing his concern for the survival of the conference.

So Louisville shows up with the daunting lineup of pretty boy Pitino, Bobby Latrine-o and big daddy Jurich waving around the UL athletic dept. financial records.

Looked pretty good at the time, so they said "WE'LL TAKE IT" while ignoring what were pretty obvious academic/cultural shortcomings.

So... a few hookers later, those guys are all gone. UK is handing them their @$$ in football and Putin is trying to keep BB up to speed.

I'm thinking that now that the grass is starting to grow up around the junk cars in Louisville's yard... we didn't look so bad after all.

07-25-2019 03:16 PM
bearcat29 Offline

This sums it up. UC beats VT in the orange bowl, UC garners more respect. We all know UC was overmatched against Florida. UC's national perception is better if they at least take one of those.

The Oklahoma win would have been nice on at PBS for a big OOC win. Still one of the most fun games I have been to...other than the second half of the Pitt meltdown. That game was an epic swing from "man this sucks" to the second half jubilation.

07-25-2019 08:56 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

UC beat some really good teams in Big East. Wins over ranked teams in USF, WVU, Pitt, Louisville, Rutgers, and UConn were better than anything Boise State did in conference play. UC's biggest non-conference wins over that period were against decent 6 to 9 win level power conference teams in Oregon State, NC State, Virginia Tech, Miami Fl, Duke, and Vandy. Winning at UCLA, dominating Purdue twice, and scoring almost 50 on Illinois in 2009 were impressive as well. Under the radar wins include Fresno State in 2009, 2014 Toledo, and 2018 Ohio as those teams were really good teams as well.

07-26-2019 06:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.