Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
RE: "Stranger Things" is Done....
(07-29-2019 02:43 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 12:11 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(07-26-2019 01:09 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(07-26-2019 12:39 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(07-26-2019 06:35 AM)gdunn Wrote:  It's the Russians.. Do they need a reason to be nefarious?

yes?

Heh. You need a healthy dose of 80s culture to get this. Rocky IV, Red Dawn, Falcon and the Snowman, Rambo III (terrible, but still). The Soviets were inherently evil in Hollywood. They were always villains and never needed motivation for their villainy beyond being Soviets. Stranger Things, as campy as it may seem sometimes, does a great job of capturing 80s zeitgeist, and the way S3 treats the Soviets/Russians is spot on.

Well, in Rocky IV the ostensible "reason" was because they wanted to beat an American at America's own game. Same thing with the Space Race and a lot of it being about competition, more than exploration. But in Stranger Things there was no reason.

Feel free to well actually to your heart's content. Soviets (Russians) in 80s pop culture - movies, tv, books, pro wrestling, music videos, whatever - were ALWAYS bad guys. That an occasional motivation was provided for their evil doesn't diminish the point a whit. S3's treatment of the Soviets was perfectly consistent with how they were seen in 80s movies and tv.

Of course I know that they were always portrayed as the bad guys. And naturally the reasons for their nefarious plans were always silly, but were still actual reasons. Stranger Things literally gave no reason. Hell, they didn't even present us with anyone who's behind the project. There was no mastermind. Who even managed the project?
07-29-2019 03:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
RE: "Stranger Things" is Done....
(07-23-2019 12:04 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(07-23-2019 09:00 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(07-15-2019 03:25 PM)gdunn Wrote:  The first two episodes were kinda meh.. But it does get better.

I didn't really think so. Loved S1, thought S2 was at least as good, if not better. But this season was awful. It was so dopey, almost like a caricature of its former self. They took all the absurdities and silliness and cranked it up to 1000. Am I supposed to believe the Russians built an ENORMOUS bunker/scientific complex over a mile under the ground and the US government (not the town) ever noticed? How long would it take to construct something like that? Does the USSR even have the ability to build something like that so efficiently? And how much time would it take? Doesn't it take years to build something like that? Hell, it must take nearly 2 years to just build the mall that's on top of it.

Also, can anyone tell me why the Russians wanted to open the gate? Pretty sure that was never made clear.

Just so I'm clear: You're willing to suspend disbelief enough to accept monsters from another dimension and a psychokinetic kid, but NOT scheming Soviets.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
10-14-2019 07:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.