Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Group of 5 Podcast “The G5 Beat”
Bookmark and Share
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: New Group of 5 Podcast “The G5 Beat”
(08-19-2019 11:24 PM)Lizard Breath Wrote:  Once we have our own TV station things will go up

Hopefully if CUSA has their own tv network it will be a lot better than the PAC12’s.
08-20-2019 05:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

Week One Preview Episode now available https://soundcloud.com/g5beat/episode-7-week-1-preview
08-26-2019 06:36 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Thanks for the work that you do. But honestly, I think it would be wise to come up with another name for the podcast. Just because outlets such as ESPN, Fox, and the Power 5 commish's have gave the other 5 conferences this title doesn't mean we have to just accept it. No, I'm not saying do what the AAC is doing (pretending to be something they're not = P6) but a title like "The
College Football Podcast" or "College Football in America Podcast" would work or something to that effect.

The "G5" just has such a negative connotation and doesn't do justice to the conferences not associate with the P5. JMHO.
08-26-2019 08:19 AM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

(08-26-2019 08:19 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  Thanks for the work that you do. But honestly, I think it would be wise to come up with another name for the podcast. Just because outlets such as ESPN, Fox, and the Power 5 commish's have gave the other 5 conferences this title doesn't mean we have to just accept it. No, I'm not saying do what the AAC is doing (pretending to be something they're not = P6) but a title like "The
College Football Podcast" or "College Football in America Podcast" would work or something to that effect.

The "G5" just has such a negative connotation and doesn't do justice to the conferences not associate with the P5. JMHO.

Thanks for the feedback and listening to us. I’m proud of the podcast name and don’t mean anything negative towards our conference and the other 4 conferences. Maybe the current “group of five” can one day be the current “power five” I love the G5.
08-26-2019 09:26 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(08-26-2019 08:19 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  Thanks for the work that you do. But honestly, I think it would be wise to come up with another name for the podcast. Just because outlets such as ESPN, Fox, and the Power 5 commish's have gave the other 5 conferences this title doesn't mean we have to just accept it. No, I'm not saying do what the AAC is doing (pretending to be something they're not = P6) but a title like "The

That reminds me of a show called "college football special" I once watched on one of the main networks - CBS or ABC or something. It was all about the power conferences (a whole hour of it), no mention of any other teams. So a title like you mentioned makes sense to me, even if it's just "G5" teams.
08-26-2019 03:01 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(08-26-2019 09:26 AM)jcduncan13 Wrote:  

Thanks for the feedback and listening to us. I’m proud of the podcast name and don’t mean anything negative towards our conference and the other 4 conferences. Maybe the current “group of five” can one day be the current “power five” I love the G5.

So you don't think the term "G5" is derogatory and you like it. Well alrighty then. Cool beans!
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2019 09:51 PM by HiddenDragon.)
08-26-2019 09:51 PM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

(08-26-2019 09:51 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

So you don't think the term "G5" is derogatory and you like it. Well alrighty then. Cool beans!

Guess we can both agree to disagree here. We only want to talk about G5 football on our show. If we change the name to something else other fan bases would expect us to talk about their teams every week. People can just turn it on ESPN and hear about their P5 teams. This podcast is a place for us to promote and talk about G5 football.
08-27-2019 11:37 AM
Yosef84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian St

I "get" what you're saying here, but I disagree about the term "G5" being derogatory. I can't say I like it, but I accept it and use the term simply because it's a descriptive recognition of the reality in the FBS. Since the podcast is targeted specifically at those conferences, I would say that using a more generic term as you suggested is a bit confusing.

The term that I don't like is the one used for basketball: "Mid-Major". That term isn't even accurate. What does the "Mid" refer to? It isn't an accurate reference to size (enrollment), ranking or anything else I can think of.

The only trend I don't like regarding the G5 is the sites that publish separate rankings. I know we all tend to do that informally, but having published rankings for G5 is a step toward an official split.
08-27-2019 01:25 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(08-27-2019 11:37 AM)jcduncan13 Wrote:  

Guess we can both agree to disagree here. We only want to talk about G5 football on our show. If we change the name to something else other fan bases would expect us to talk about their teams every week. People can just turn it on ESPN and hear about their P5 teams. This podcast is a place for us to promote and talk about G5 football.

Definitely not suggesting that a change in your podcast name would mean discussing P5 programs. But it isn't a big deal. It's your show, you put the time and effort into promoting it and that's an awesome thing for programs not in a P5 conference.
08-27-2019 05:59 PM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

(08-27-2019 01:25 PM)Yosef84 Wrote:  

I "get" what you're saying here, but I disagree about the term "G5" being derogatory. I can't say I like it, but I accept it and use the term simply because it's a descriptive recognition of the reality in the FBS. Since the podcast is targeted specifically at those conferences, I would say that using a more generic term as you suggested is a bit confusing.

The term that I don't like is the one used for basketball: "Mid-Major". That term isn't even accurate. What does the "Mid" refer to? It isn't an accurate reference to size (enrollment), ranking or anything else I can think of.

The only trend I don't like regarding the G5 is the sites that publish separate rankings. I know we all tend to do that informally, but having published rankings for G5 is a step toward an official split.

(08-27-2019 05:59 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(08-27-2019 11:37 AM)jcduncan13 Wrote:  

Definitely not suggesting that a change in your podcast name would mean discussing P5 programs. But it isn't a big deal. It's your show, you put the time and effort into promoting it and that's an awesome thing for programs not in a P5 conference.

Thanks guys for listening to us. We just need help spreading the word to other G5 football fans.
08-27-2019 08:57 PM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

Week 2 Preview is now available: https://soundcloud.com/g5beat/episode-8-week-2
09-02-2019 07:10 AM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

Week 3 episode now available: https://soundcloud.com/g5beat/episode-9-week-3
09-10-2019 05:20 AM
notnow Offline
1st String

How about “The group of non SEC, ACC, B10,B12, PAC12 Football Broadcast”
I’ve listened and enjoy the “not ️“ talk, however the nasally sounding guy does not seem well prepared in G5 discussions and does not seem to be a nonP5 fan. I appreciate the time y’all put into this and will continue to listen.
09-10-2019 06:16 AM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

(09-10-2019 06:16 AM)notnow Wrote:  How about “The group of non SEC, ACC, B10,B12, PAC12 Football Broadcast”
I’ve listened and enjoy the “not ️“ talk, however the nasally sounding guy does not seem well prepared in G5 discussions and does not seem to be a nonP5 fan. I appreciate the time y’all put into this and will continue to listen.

Thanks for listening to us!
09-10-2019 01:02 PM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

Week 4 episode is now available! We talk Houston/Tulane, South Alabama/UAB, Temple/Buffalo, Western Michigan/Syracuse, Air Force/Boise State, Utah State/SDSU, App State/UNC, UTSA/North Texas, and a whole lot more: https://soundcloud.com/g5beat/episode-10-week-4
09-16-2019 09:45 AM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

Week 5 episode is now available! We talk what happened Week 4 and preview these games: Memphis/Navy, Arkansas State/Troy, Hawaii/Nevada, BYU/Toledo, Cincinnati/Marshall, ULL/Georgia Southern, and mention other games!

https://soundcloud.com/g5beat/episode-11-week-5-preview
09-24-2019 09:36 AM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

Week 6 episode is now available! We talk about my trip to WKU, preview these games: UCF/Cincinnati, Tulane/Army, WMU/Toledo, Marshall/MTSU, Air Force/Navy, Troy/Missouri, and a lot more. https://soundcloud.com/g5beat/episode-12-week-6
09-30-2019 06:13 AM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

Week 7 episode now available! We talk North Texas/Southern Miss, App State/Ragin Cajuns, Fresno State/Air Force, Hawaii/Boise State, Wyoming/SDSU, Cincinnati/Houston, and a lot more. https://soundcloud.com/g5beat/episode-13-week-7
10-07-2019 06:12 AM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

Week 8 Episode is here! I talk Tulane/Memphis, Temple/SMU, Southern Miss/Louisiana Tech, Air Force/Hawaii, Ark State/Ragin Cajuns, and a lot more. https://soundcloud.com/g5beat/episode-14
10-16-2019 07:03 AM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

Week 9 Episode! We talk WKU/Marshall, Tulane/Navy, Miami (OH)/Kent State, Troy/Georgia State, Utah State/Air Force, and more! https://soundcloud.com/g5beat/episode-15-week-9
10-22-2019 07:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.