Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What Generation is driving realignment- is it Y or are the Baby Boomers to blame??
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
RE: What Generation is driving realignment- is it Y or are the Baby Boomers to blame??
(06-30-2019 10:51 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Baby Boomers (1946 - 1964)
Generation X (1961- 1981)
Generation Y (1976 - 1995)
Generation Z After 1996

Note overlaps.... you’ll have to decide what you are if you fall in overlaps. Look it up....

Baby Boomers screwed everything up.

Lessee, our class in Elementary school didn't go to Junior high in Year 7 because there wasn't room and the voters wouldn't pass a bond levy, I had a friend in college who couldn't afford to finish because of changes in student aid ... if I am in the overlap, I reckon I happened to be in a Gen X part of it.

So yeah, it was them Baby Boomers, they screwed everything up.

(06-30-2019 01:09 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  I assume millennials are what was meant by Y, since they were called Gen Y before millennial became the preferred identifier.

Well, parallel ~ Strauss and Howe called them Millennials in 1991, Advertising Age called them Generation Y in 1993, Strauss and Howe kind of won that one over the marketers in the marketplace. Lots of people identify them as 1981-1996, so basically the generation that started school before 9/11 and graduated from high school in the new Millennium.

That's a bit short as a generational cohort, but real big events upset the normal generational cycle ... the Civil War upset the cycle in the 1800's and it's reasonable to take 9/11 as a pivotal event like that.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2019 07:55 AM by BruceMcF.)
07-01-2019 07:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: What Generation is driving realignment- is it Y or are the Baby Boomers to blame??
(07-01-2019 07:41 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
Generation Z After 1996

Note overlaps.... you’ll have to decide what you are if you fall in overlaps. Look it up....

Lessee, our class in Elementary school didn't go to Junior high in Year 7 because there wasn't room and the voters wouldn't pass a bond levy, I had a friend in college who couldn't afford to finish because of changes in student aid ... if I am in the overlap, I reckon I happened to be in a Gen X part of it.

(06-30-2019 01:09 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  I assume millennials are what was meant by Y, since they were called Gen Y before millennial became the preferred identifier.

Well, parallel ~ Strauss and Howe called them Millennials in 1991, Advertising Age called them Generation Y in 1993, Strauss and Howe kind of won that one over the marketers in the marketplace. Lots of people identify them as 1981-1996, so basically the generation that started school before 9/11 and graduated from high school in the new Millennium.

That's a bit short as a generational cohort, but real big events upset the normal generational cycle ... the Civil War upset the cycle in the 1800's and it's reasonable to take 9/11 as a pivotal event like that.

I should clarify and (speaking only anecdotally) it seemed like Gen Y was the more common term early in its existence. Though it should have been obvious that they weren't going to gravitate long-term toward a name that defined them down as an adjunct to their young parents/older siblings (Gen X 2: Gen Harder).

Probably a good thing for them that 2000 came before the terror attacks; it's entirely possible their name would have evolved into the 9/11 Generation.
07-01-2019 01:17 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(06-30-2019 10:23 PM)P5PACSEC Wrote:  
(06-30-2019 02:27 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Look, schools like Boston College, Duke, Wake Forest, Kansas, and Pittsburgh and at times Rutgers do not get the fan support in football. We have schools in the G5 who should be in a P5 conference while some P5 are G5. I think realignment should be taken out of the hands of school Presidents and BoTs on who should be invited to play in the conference since they do not know sports and what could draw people to the games. You do have failures like Colorado, Rutgers, Nebraska, Maryland, Pittsburgh and Missouri. We are now seeing more G5 and FCS schools kicking the butts of P5 schools. You need to add schools who the fans want to see, and not add crappy teams that fans will not see.

Nebraska and Missouri are failures?

David, if any of your fantasy schools drew flies, they might have an argument.

You truly are special but I want to know with proof from TV execs that we want to see more G5 schools when their own fans don't care?? Can you do that for the board? It might help your awesome credibility

BYU, Boise State, ECU, UCF, USF, Memphis and Cincinnati are the ones that draw more fans than some P5 schools. Washington State, Miami Florida, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Duke, Kansas and Wake Forest wind up getting less fan support. Miami I listed because they cooked their books to show more fans when live tv shows otherwise.

I forgot Houston as well.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2019 06:13 PM by DavidSt.)
07-01-2019 06:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-01-2019 01:17 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  I should clarify and (speaking only anecdotally) it seemed like Gen Y was the more common term early in its existence.

Marketers are a big chunk of the people doing cohort analysis, and Advertising Age is influential ... but identifying the fact that the kids who had first gone to school sometime in the mid 80's "will graduate high school in the New Millennium" snared Strauss and Howe the catchier name.

Quote: Though it should have been obvious that they weren't going to gravitate long-term toward a name that defined them down as an adjunct to their young parents/older siblings (Gen X 2: Gen Harder).

Or even worse, the "Boomer Echo" generation.

Quote: Probably a good thing for them that 2000 came before the terror attacks; it's entirely possible their name would have evolved into the 9/11 Generation.

True that.
07-01-2019 06:27 PM
P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
(07-01-2019 06:12 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(06-30-2019 02:27 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Look, schools like Boston College, Duke, Wake Forest, Kansas, and Pittsburgh and at times Rutgers do not get the fan support in football. We have schools in the G5 who should be in a P5 conference while some P5 are G5. I think realignment should be taken out of the hands of school Presidents and BoTs on who should be invited to play in the conference since they do not know sports and what could draw people to the games. You do have failures like Colorado, Rutgers, Nebraska, Maryland, Pittsburgh and Missouri. We are now seeing more G5 and FCS schools kicking the butts of P5 schools. You need to add schools who the fans want to see, and not add crappy teams that fans will not see.

You truly are special but I want to know with proof from TV execs that we want to see more G5 schools when their own fans don't care?? Can you do that for the board? It might help your awesome credibility

BYU, Boise State, ECU, UCF, USF, Memphis and Cincinnati are the ones that draw more fans than some P5 schools. Washington State, Miami Florida, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Duke, Kansas and Wake Forest wind up getting less fan support. Miami I listed because they cooked their books to show more fans when live tv shows otherwise.

Do you have links to back this up? I don't believe in fantasy. I want hard numbers to validate your claims over a 5 year period if referring to attendance. I want the same in regards to TV ratings.

I applaud you on your g5 crusade. 04-cheers
07-01-2019 09:58 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(07-01-2019 09:58 PM)P5PACSEC Wrote:  
(07-01-2019 06:12 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Do you have links to back this up? I don't believe in fantasy. I want hard numbers to validate your claims over a 5 year period if referring to attendance. I want the same in regards to TV ratings.

I applaud you on your g5 crusade. 04-cheers
Ratings are tricky you need compelling games at the right times.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college...v-ratings/

Game: Viewers (Network)
Cincinnati-UCF: 3.098 million (ABC)
UCF-USF: 1.741 million (ESPN)
Miami-BC: 1.36 million (ESPN)
Pitt-UVA: 1.359 million (ESPN2)
FSU-NC St: 1.347 million (ABC)
USF-Tulsa: 1.17 million
Temple-UCF: 1.191 million (ESPN)
Louisville-Syracuse: 1.062 million (ESPN2)
GT-Louisville: 996K (ESPN)
GT-VT: 968K (ESPN)
Pitt-Miami: 919K (ESPN)
Miami-UVA: 870K (ESPN2)
BC-Wake Forest: 863K (ESPN)
Syracuse-BC: 765K (ESPN)
WF-NC St: 744K (ESPN)
VT-Duke: 728K (ESPN2)
Memphis-Tulane: 738K (ESPN2)
Miami-VT: 733K (ESPN)
Tulsa-Temple: 728K (ESPN)
BC-FSU:716K (ESPN2)
NC St-Syracuse: 680K (ESPN2)
Memphis-SMU: 623K (ESPN2)
Duke-Miami: 620K (ESPN2)
Wake Forest-FSU: 576K (ESPN2)
Miami-GT: 551K (ESPN2)
Tulsa-Houston: 538K (ESPN)
UCF-ECU: 486K (ESPN2)
UCF-UCONN: 444K (ESPNU)
VT-N Carolina: 389K (ESPNU)
Navy-UCF: 385K (ESPN2)
Tulane-Houston: 378K (ESPN)
Pitt-VT: 344K (ESPNU)

Even though he exempted Clemson and FSU, even some of Clemson's games were not that impressive for a Top 4 team...
Clemson-Wake Forest: 966K (ESPN)
Clemson-Louisville: 1.55 million (ABC)
https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-878433-pos...id16175803
07-01-2019 10:24 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(07-01-2019 10:24 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Game: Viewers (Network)

Louisville-Syracuse: 1.062 million (ESPN2)
GT-Louisville: 996K (ESPN)
Clemson-Louisville: 1.55 million (ABC)

The Louisville games against Syracuse and Georgia Tech were Friday night contests. The Clemson game pitted the best team in the country against what was most likely the worst team in the country. I’m surprised that many people tuned in to see a 2-6 Louisville face 8-0 Clemson.

Simply cherry picking one season and comparing selected American Saturday prime time games pitting the top teams in the conference to games involving the worst team in The ACC is disingenuous at best.

I would suggest comparing Clemson games with a more competitive opponent like say the Texas A&M matchup that drew 4.4 million.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2019 11:23 PM by CardinalJim.)
07-01-2019 11:21 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-30-2019 08:09 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  I think the boomers where the vanguard and ignition for the money that we see today in college sports.

They were the ones who lead the surge in premium ticket pricing and price pressures that led to aggressive redesign of the postseason and conference alignments.

People under 35 don't care. Very few of them on this board when compared to 35+

The Silent Generation were the college presidents and commissioners doing the changes.
07-02-2019 09:49 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(07-01-2019 07:41 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
Generation Z After 1996

Levees are an Ohio thing. I went to 7th grade at the high school because the Jr. High was overcrowded. Nearby Miamisburg, along with Youngstown and a number of other Ohio districts closed for about 2 months during Christmas break because they didn't have enough money and voters wouldn't approve a levy. About 20 years later in the late 80s or early 90s, same thing happened, in some of the same places. I know it happened in Miamisburg again. So it was the Greatest Generation and Silent Generation voting no in the 70s. Silent and Boomers voting no in the late 80s/early 90s.
07-02-2019 09:55 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

"All this has happened before and it will all happen again." Battlestar Galactica.

Its why you need to study history.
07-02-2019 09:58 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(07-01-2019 07:41 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  Well, parallel ~ Strauss and Howe called them Millennials in 1991, Advertising Age called them Generation Y in 1993, Strauss and Howe kind of won that one over the marketers in the marketplace. Lots of people identify them as 1981-1996, so basically the generation that started school before 9/11 and graduated from high school in the new Millennium.

The easiest way to define millennials is "people who were in school during 9/11 and the War of Terror and then entered the workforce in the aftermath of the great recession". Also, the advent of social media at some point during their adolescence.

It's not a perfect catch-all, but it pretty much sums of the formative years of the entire group.
07-02-2019 01:27 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
(07-02-2019 01:27 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  
(07-01-2019 07:41 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  Well, parallel ~ Strauss and Howe called them Millennials in 1991, Advertising Age called them Generation Y in 1993, Strauss and Howe kind of won that one over the marketers in the marketplace. Lots of people identify them as 1981-1996, so basically the generation that started school before 9/11 and graduated from high school in the new Millennium.

The easiest way to define millennials is "people who were in school during 9/11 and the War of Terror and then entered the workforce in the aftermath of the great recession". Also, the advent of social media at some point during their adolescence.

It's not a perfect catch-all, but it pretty much sums of the formative years of the entire group.

Starting with the Class of 2000 is the general start of the Millennials.
07-02-2019 02:29 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(07-02-2019 02:29 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  
(07-02-2019 01:27 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  

Starting with the Class of 2000 is the general start of the Millennials.

Yes
07-03-2019 07:40 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-02-2019 09:58 AM)bullet Wrote:  "All this has happened before and it will all happen again." Battlestar Galactica.

Wait a minute, I thought that show was about the consequences of not having an air gap between critical infrastructure systems and the Internet.
07-03-2019 08:04 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(07-03-2019 07:47 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-02-2019 09:58 AM)bullet Wrote:  "All this has happened before and it will all happen again." Battlestar Galactica.

Wait, are you saying that the Big 10 are the Cylons? If so does June Lockhart's daughter at least get to be an SEC cheerleader? The Big 12 can keep Lorne Greene. We don't need the Cartwrights in the SEC.

Not even Michael Landon?? I guess the Big Ten could take him since he did do Little House on the Prairie.
07-08-2019 02:19 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Nothing with generations. It is the almighty dollar that drove realignment.
07-09-2019 09:50 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(07-09-2019 09:50 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Nothing with generations. It is the almighty dollar that drove realignment.

Pretty much about the money, but the demographics that underpin the money will be changing relatively soon and that could signal a plateauing of sports rights revenue.

By 2026, the year after the next set of contracts get signed the Boomers born in 46 will turn 80, the Boomers born in 56 will turn 70, and the youngest Boomers which I always learned were born in 62 will be 64. That's a mighty gray chunk of avid sports viewers who loved their cable likely out of the work force.

Bear in mind that the average life expectancy in the U.S. has dropped back to around 72 for women and 68 for men (skewed largely to opium addictions and an all time 1% of the population dying annually on our highways) and you can see that the shelf life for the largest base of rabid college sports fans is about to die out.

X'ers will carry this forward a bit but after them the % of avid college sports fans drops significantly in subsequent generations. So a little concern over the demographic shift is in order. Those conferences who don't get a renewal of rights until 2036 are going to be in a bad spot.
07-09-2019 10:06 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(07-09-2019 10:06 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-09-2019 09:50 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Nothing with generations. It is the almighty dollar that drove realignment.

Pretty much about the money, but the demographics that underpin the money will be changing relatively soon and that could signal a plateauing of sports rights revenue.

By 2026, the year after the next set of contracts get signed the Boomers born in 46 will turn 80, the Boomers born in 56 will turn 70, and the youngest Boomers which I always learned were born in 62 will be 64. That's a mighty gray chunk of avid sports viewers who loved their cable likely out of the work force.

Bear in mind that the average life expectancy in the U.S. has dropped back to around 72 for women and 68 for men (skewed largely to opium addictions and an all time 1% of the population dying annually on our highways) and you can see that the shelf life for the largest base of rabid college sports fans is about to die out.

X'ers will carry this forward a bit but after them the % of avid college sports fans drops significantly in subsequent generations. So a little concern over the demographic shift is in order. Those conferences who don't get a renewal of rights until 2036 are going to be in a bad spot.

This is a legitimate concern, but I think partially exaggerated. A lot more Millennial and (eventually) Gen Z graduates of public schools than there are Gen X and Boomers

The biggest effects will likely be felt on season ticket sales and booster club donations because frankly many people just will not have that level of disposable income due to rising housing costs and student debt. However, the eyeballs will be there, even if "fanhood" penetration declines due to the sheer size of markets and alumni bases.
07-10-2019 12:39 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(07-10-2019 12:39 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  
(07-09-2019 10:06 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

This is a legitimate concern, but I think partially exaggerated. A lot more Millennial and (eventually) Gen Z graduates of public schools than there are Gen X and Boomers

The biggest effects will likely be felt on season ticket sales and booster club donations because frankly many people just will not have that level of disposable income due to rising housing costs and student debt. However, the eyeballs will be there, even if "fanhood" penetration declines due to the sheer size of markets and alumni bases.

That's true, but the real factors impinging the subsequent generations are related to commodities. More people globally = greater demand = higher prices. Land, homes, food, energy, and health care will only continue to inflate cost wise. Wages will rise but likely won't keep pace with the inflation factors many of which the government won't recognize because they are outside of the core factors.

While not as many Boomers attended higher institutions of learning as with the generations you listed, most Boomers were far more avid sports fans and there were more of them. Their passing is going to leave a hole in college sports. The boomers drove the capacity of stadia higher, ticket prices higher, donations higher, and advertisers spent to reach them because they had disposable income. When that demand shrinks so too will the advertising money spent to reach them which means media rights will decline in value as well. Advertisers are already finding more direct way to reach their targeted audience, and ways that are more efficient. The money will shift, is shifting, and has shifted depending on the product to reading and evaluating the each consumer by following them through their devices and targeting their interests directly. The shotgun outreach of network advertising will decline in price so that the volume of it will stay high.

We've already witnessed this with network programming. Now the big new events are on pay TV. There isn't enough money in the network model to invest in great programming like there was in the 60's and 70's. MTV may have killed radio but downloading music killed MTV and the record and CD trade. Well now social trends and technology are about to kill a major factor in sports programming through their ability to specifically target audiences. I suppose Beer and Brats will support sports until the last Ditka loving fan keels over with a coronary. But the point is that not only is the generation that drove college sports to an all time high in revenue and venue capacity starting to pass, but the commercial mode that powered it is being replaced as well and that doesn't bode well for continued large payouts moving forward because there are more efficient ways to market your product via personal devices which are monitored to collect your preference data.
07-10-2019 01:35 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

To an extent you’re correct JR, I was just pointing out some factors that will swing the other way. There certainly will be less disposable income
07-10-2019 05:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.