https://www.al.com/uab/2019/06/ua-bot-wo...rence.html
06-25-2019 02:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bftb Offline
Go Blazers!

I Root For: UAB
RE: BOT
Given our history...I'll believe it when I see it.

Honestly, I don't think there's any way they stand in the way of a move if it comes to pass, after all that has transpired the last five years. And the truth is, we have been in that league already, without their objections--it just had another name then.

I just hope we get the chance to see them support us.
06-25-2019 02:52 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I was flabbergasted to see 7 of them at our bowl game. Since Bryant is officially off, (yea he still manipulates things) and the heavy hitters of the corporate community are behind us they have been the most supportive in our entire history.
06-25-2019 03:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

F 'em, and Ray Watts too
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 03:11 PM by mixduptransistor.)
06-25-2019 03:11 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
Would be more convincing if the unnamed trustees were willing to be quoted
06-25-2019 03:18 PM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
I think given the political nature of the BOT just getting this level of feedback is a HUGE step forward. They don't have to identify themselves at this point. As long as we see the tangible support in projects (which we have) and the outward support of actually showing themselves at events (which we have) I think just sending the message that they're not going to be an impediment and in fact would work towards it is a galactic shift in culture
06-25-2019 03:48 PM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Yep.
06-25-2019 04:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

The fact that this article was put out is interesting. I wonder if it was meant to publicly answer questions some in the AAC had been asking.

Also, it's interesting to think about what kind of relationships St John and some other trustees may have given that they also oversee Alabama football - one of ESPN's most prized possessions. Not standing in the way is different than offering active lobbying/support, but if they're willing to do more than just get out of the way, I bet they have some relationships that could be very helpful.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 04:24 PM by hooverblazer.)
06-25-2019 04:22 PM
SMUfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
The AAC & ESPN have known for a while that UConn was moving. That leads to the AAC & ESPN going ahead and doing their due diligence. If UAB is a candidate then someone has already talked to UAB administration behind closed doors. Sounds like the BOT is optimistic.
06-25-2019 04:31 PM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
(06-25-2019 04:31 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  The AAC & ESPN have known for a while that UConn was moving. That leads to the AAC & ESPN going ahead and doing their due diligence. If UAB is a candidate then someone has already talked to UAB administration behind closed doors. Sounds like the BOT is optimistic.

I also think it's the BOT way of answering the most important question that anyone would have. Nothing like that article occurs in a vacuum here.
06-25-2019 05:12 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

That's a nice step considering one of the biggest "cons" against us is the control the UABOT has over us and have traditionally worked against our best interests. However, I just dont see the AAC adding another member right now unless they can get a program like Army/Air Force, BYU or Boise. I'd say BYU and Boise are both long shots so I think they will stand pat for now.

I believe the AAC is about expanding their "brand" and the best way to do that is by adding programs with national appeal. What has adding ECU, Tulsa or Tulane done for them? Nothing. As others have stated, that shouldn't stop us from making a compelling case for ourselves because we all know another round of realignment is always looming and the AAC will likely be the conference that loses the most from it.

Having said that, how attractive is the AAC if it loses say UCF, Houston, Memphis and Cincinnati? Still better than current CUSA but nothing like what it currently is.

Oh well, its sure to be interesting. In the meantime, the university needs to continue on it's current course with the investments, support and growth and the programs need to make their best case on the field and on the court.
06-25-2019 06:15 PM
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Yup. No way that article just happened. It was a purposeful message, and it does not come out unless it was released/approved by some powerful players.

I know that most here don't trust the BoT. Lord knows that all of the old-timers can quote you multiple reasons why we shouldn't. I certainly can. That said, they have been pretty supportive since #TheReturn. Yeah, we had to do it on their terms, the UAB fans have had to provide money and support up front, but once we did, they've basically approved everything we asked for. No one tried to screw up the stadium deal, everything went pretty smooth, at least as far as we know. I'm certain that things were not always smooth along the way for the people who got it done - but it did get done.

I mean, seriously, what have we been told no on? There has been a *lot* of athletic construction that has moved forward. All of our Olympic sports are better off. More to do, sure, but more plans on the table as well. Basketball and baseball both look to be moving forward in the next wave.

We're used to bitching and moaning and giving the Board some lip and the side eye. It's time to stuff a cork into that stuff. First off, we're liable to piss off someone and lose their support because we're being pissy and acting ungrateful. Second, and more important, the AAC is chock full of people who remember the history and don't think that we'll be allowed to become a full and independent program. If we don't stick a sock into that kind of talk, we're going to find it used against us.

"UAB? Yeah, they've done ok, but it's only a matter of time before things go south again and their program gets trashed." It's like recruiting, the people recruiting against you are going to use anything you give them to discredit you. Don't hand them ammunition.

It is my hope that ESPN is going to kinda grease the skids here. I certainly have no way to know that, it's just my hope. I really don't expect things to happen quickly. It could very well be many months, toward the end of this football season maybe, before the AAC says a damn thing about what their plans are. We've already done so many things right. Now it's time to be cool, play our cards close to the chest, and do everything we can to control the PR message. Step one in doing that is not helping our opponents trash us.

Be positive. Bite your tongue when you want to b***h. This isn't the time.

Face it, if the BoT wanted to screw with us, they could do an awful lot that we'd never know about. They have a ton of pull with ESPN, so they can help or hurt us from way behind the scenes and likely we'd never even know it had happened.

They have not. Be grateful, be thankful for this opportunity, and take care of business as we work toward our goal.
06-25-2019 06:21 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

Yeah I'm not gonna bow down in thanks to the BOT or Ingram but I think it's time to move on from it and let go of some of that stuff. I've always thought Ingram has gotten too much of the blame. The guy has done some pretty good things. Honestly, a lot of it now comes off as petty, cynical or overly paranoid. Remain vigilant and with a healthy measure of skepticism but be open minded enough to accept that this just might be the new normal.
06-25-2019 06:28 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(06-25-2019 06:21 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  Yup. No way that article just happened. It was a purposeful message, and it does not come out unless it was released/approved by some powerful players.

I know that most here don't trust the BoT. Lord knows that all of the old-timers can quote you multiple reasons why we shouldn't. I certainly can. That said, they have been pretty supportive since #TheReturn. Yeah, we had to do it on their terms, the UAB fans have had to provide money and support up front, but once we did, they've basically approved everything we asked for. No one tried to screw up the stadium deal, everything went pretty smooth, at least as far as we know. I'm certain that things were not always smooth along the way for the people who got it done - but it did get done.

I mean, seriously, what have we been told no on? There has been a *lot* of athletic construction that has moved forward. All of our Olympic sports are better off. More to do, sure, but more plans on the table as well. Basketball and baseball both look to be moving forward in the next wave.

We're used to bitching and moaning and giving the Board some lip and the side eye. It's time to stuff a cork into that stuff. First off, we're liable to piss off someone and lose their support because we're being pissy and acting ungrateful. Second, and more important, the AAC is chock full of people who remember the history and don't think that we'll be allowed to become a full and independent program. If we don't stick a sock into that kind of talk, we're going to find it used against us.

"UAB? Yeah, they've done ok, but it's only a matter of time before things go south again and their program gets trashed." It's like recruiting, the people recruiting against you are going to use anything you give them to discredit you. Don't hand them ammunition.

It is my hope that ESPN is going to kinda grease the skids here. I certainly have no way to know that, it's just my hope. I really don't expect things to happen quickly. It could very well be many months, toward the end of this football season maybe, before the AAC says a damn thing about what their plans are. We've already done so many things right. Now it's time to be cool, play our cards close to the chest, and do everything we can to control the PR message. Step one in doing that is not helping our opponents trash us.

Be positive. Bite your tongue when you want to b***h. This isn't the time.

Face it, if the BoT wanted to screw with us, they could do an awful lot that we'd never know about. They have a ton of pull with ESPN, so they can help or hurt us from way behind the scenes and likely we'd never even know it had happened.

They have not. Be grateful, be thankful for this opportunity, and take care of business as we work toward our goal.

Amen. It is a new era. Always be watchful but it's time to focus on the future. Thankful indeed. Our story is already truly amazing and the best parts are yet to be written.
06-25-2019 07:56 PM
DragonClaw Offline
1st String

There doesn't have to be public outward opposition. Benign neglect will do. I'll they have to do is insinuate to Ray and Mark to do nothing to pursue realignment. Just being asleep at the switch will be enough to derail a move. They can do that.
06-26-2019 08:08 AM
uabblazer2012 Offline
All American

(06-26-2019 08:08 AM)DragonClaw Wrote:  There doesn't have to be public outward opposition. Benign neglect will do. I'll they have to do is insinuate to Ray and Mark to do nothing to pursue realignment. Just being asleep at the switch will be enough to derail a move. They can do that.

But they won't.
06-26-2019 09:05 AM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

They will not stop us from pursuing this. wink wink

Frankly it would take Mark & Ray actively going after this which we have no way one or the other of knowing if they do or did.
06-26-2019 09:24 AM
DragonClaw Offline
1st String

(06-26-2019 09:24 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  They will not stop us from pursuing this. wink wink

Frankly it would take Mark & Ray actively going after this which we have no way one or the other of knowing if they do or did.

Right. We have to trust that Ray and Mark et al will really go after it vigorously.

I don't know that I do.
06-26-2019 09:37 AM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

(06-26-2019 09:37 AM)DragonClaw Wrote:  
(06-26-2019 09:24 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  They will not stop us from pursuing this. wink wink

Right. We have to trust that Ray and Mark et al will really go after it vigorously.

I don't know that I do.

So...why wouldnt they?
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2019 12:32 PM by BlazintheATL.)
06-26-2019 12:31 PM
Blazer88 Offline
Banned

(06-26-2019 12:31 PM)BlazintheATL Wrote:  
(06-26-2019 09:37 AM)DragonClaw Wrote:  

I don't know that I do.

So...why wouldnt they?

They’ll be easy to blame if we don’t get in basically
06-26-2019 01:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.